Sheffield social

Comments

• Sheils-Sheils- ✭✭✭

I once ran (briefly)with a real nun in Rome- it's a long story thoughimage

mozzy- my cow girl outfit was ok to run in but the hat did get in the way a bit

I hd a lovely run last night- 6 miles off road (on the TPT). could have done with the moon being a bit brighter but it was good fun- hard work though, felt it in the old calf muscles.

• ET - have a look at these (Nike Zoom Kyotee) - I have a pair and if you like Nike you should like these.  They are Goretex lined also so keep your fet dry (we all know you don't like to get ur feet wet!!).  I do also have the Salamon Speedcross 2 but wouldn't recommend as they are a full fell shoe with better cushioning but similar sole to Stu's Mudclaws, a better option would be the Salomon XA Pro 3D - but these are more expensive than the Adidas or Nike shoes.

Moz - you should definatley run as a nun - oh the irony image

Sheile - was your run around Shirebrook Valley (?) near the Worksop bypass - I like to go running down there, I usually see a couple of other runners out that way - plenty of paths to run around on.

• While stu and haile are about whats the best fell shoe? Might need to get some new ones. image
  • Similar question to Cake coming up.

People who do the Trunce and similar races do you run them in fell shoes or trail shoes?

ET - where did you read about the entry numbers being restricted for the Rother Valley 10K? All I've seen so far is a provisional date. I'm probably not going to bother with the race as it's the day before Eyam half.

Moz - have you had any more thoughts about the Clumber Park Duathlon? Do you reckon you'll be up to doing it?

• Cake wrote (see)
    While stu and haile are about whats the best fell shoe? Might need to get some new ones. image

Cake - i would recommend you look at the Salomon Speedcross 2 for a fell shoe - good cushioning and an aggressive lugges sole.  Not as low profile as the Inov8 shoes, but as I'm not 10st wet through I need some extra support underfoot.  The Brooks Cascadia (?) are supposed to be good (especially for heavier runners) but they just don't appeal to me looks wise.

Baz - the Trunce can be done in normal running shoes, though there is one section going down through the forest that can be a bit tricky without good grip (Stu and Sheils view may differ on this section, but i have sli[pped on my arse twice in this bit).  TBH, the Inov8 range of shoes is very wide and the Mudroc (290's) range may be a good compromise for fell and trail running.

However, I wouldn't recommend starting a thread in Gear about trail shoes as there are about 20 in there currently.

Up and Running in town have a range of makes of off road shoes - Salomon, Inov8, Mizuno (I considered these for a while as again a good mix for fell and trail) so should allow you to have  a look at the soles, cushioning etc

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    I wear Innov8 Roclites for any Trail/Fell/Off-Road stuff. I REALLY rate them very highly - I'm sure there are better shoes specifically for Fell, then another pair specifically for Trail and so on - but as a top all-rounder they take some beating. Decent level of support and very good grip. Good for running in the snow too! I've bagged a few 20 milers in them before and they've been great. My current pair are knackered now, but I'll be getting another pair without hesitation as soon as Pay Day arrives.
  • Sheils-Sheils- ✭✭✭

I use Innov8 Roclites for the Trunce and haven't come a cropper yet.

PJAZ wrote (see)

Sheile - was your run around Shirebrook Valley (?) near the Worksop bypass - I like to go running down there, I usually see a couple of other runners out that way - plenty of paths to run around on.

yes- we were in Shirebrook Valley- started from the lan behind the church at  handsworth. We go on there quite a lot in the summer and it was great in the snow last night

• Cake - you can't really say which is the best fell show given that it's all subjective, all I can really say is that Inov8's work for me and if you go to any race you'll probably see about 60% of people in Inov8's, maybe 20% in Walshes and the other 20% in others. From the Inov8's there are quite a range but the Mudclaws have the best grip (which to me is the most important thing so that you can throw yourself downhill as quickly as possible!), others (like the Roclite or Mudrocs) have less grip but make up for it in other departments, mainly in cushioning.

Baz - as Dids says you COULD do the Trunce in road shoes but to be honest I wouldn't recommend it due to the risk of ending up on your arse a la Dids! I would say that a trail shoe is a good compromise given there is a bit of road in the course.

LS21 / Mozzy - hope you're both on the mend?

• Right folks - final round up on my plans for this Saturday, gonna book a table for a meal later today.

I think Mozzy said maybe, Sheils said maybe, Cake was maybe going to come for a drink (of Coke) in town, not sure about anyone else. Any definites and if so for meal, drinks, or both?

• image Count me in dude for a softy drink. Can't aford the meal but would be good to biuld a snowman with you after.
  • I went running there in my new Salomons on Boxing Day. Set off down Stone Lane (nr the Bypass Roundabout on Sheffield Road).  But that was just ice so cut onto the paths ASAP and just ran them for about 5m in a reasonable level of snow.

Not sure aboyut running some of the smaller paths in the dark as there are quite a few small ponds etc, but generally its a great place to get some good off road running in without having to travel.

I normally set of from home, down PoW Rd then pick up the trail from the Motel/Little Chef on the Parkway - there are paths either side of the bypass - though the left hand side going up to the parkway is a better off road path than the other side (which has been mostly tarmacced for the dog walkers etc).  Do you use them?  I think you may go over some of these getting from H'worth to the Valley if you go down past the allotments etc.

• What are the plans generally Stu for Saturday?  Where are you thinking of booking a table or going for drinks? May want to get out as will be my last chance for a few weeks.
  • Will see you for drinks Cake image

Plans are to go to Dim Sum on London Rd for food at about 7ish (depending on when we can get a table), it's great if you've never been. Then to go to into town somewhere for drinks, not sure where yet but can let people know using a new fangled device called a cellular phone.

• Cheers for the shoe info folks.
  • Stu - sorry I can't make it on Saturday as I'll be away for the night - have a great time though! Happy Birthday!image When is it? Feeling much better thanks!

I'm liking the nuns thing. Pink nuns maybe. Though to be fair I can't seem to get excited about the fancy dress thing at all!

Baz - think I'm gonna give the duathlon a miss - I'm still in a build up phase and if I enter I know that I'll push and I really don't want to do that just yet - still got the odd little niggle so going to take it really slowly I think. Sorry about that. If things are going well at the end of the month and they still have places left Imay take apop at it.

• Mozzy wrote (see)

Stu - sorry I can't make it on Saturday as I'll be away for the night - have a great time though! Happy Birthday!image When is it? Feeling much better thanks!

I'm liking the nuns thing. Pink nuns maybe. Though to be fair I can't seem to get excited about the fancy dress thing at all!

No worries and don't worry a great time will be had! image

Birthday is Sunday but what with that being a school night, I thought Saturday would be better. 

I reckon you're not getting excited about the fancy dress thing because I suspect you're a bit competitive (ok don't suspect, know!) and at the back of you're mind you don't want it to be a fun run but want to take it seriously?!... I would be exactly the same!

Glad to hear you're feeling better! image

• Stuart H wrote (see)

I reckon you're not getting excited about the fancy dress thing because I suspect you're a bit competitive (ok don't suspect, know!) and at the back of you're mind you don't want it to be a fun run but want to take it seriously?!... I would be exactly the same!

That is a spookily accurate character analysis Stu!
  • Ooooh, send me a text when you get into town on Saturday, I may pop along to meet some more of you!

The good news is the foot is loads better, but having facebooked GP friend and spoken to physio friend I'm going to be good and stick to swimming, body pump, pilates/balance and skiing for the rest of the month, then get gait analysis and check shoes and see how it goes image

No more snow forescast though, just too cold to thaw, so will be taking a drive to leeds for some indoor snow action at the weekend - which just seems wrong when there's so much snow here, a friends got some awesome pics of skiing with headtorches down winhill lastnight!

• BM Becky wrote (see)

Ooooh, send me a text when you get into town on Saturday, I may pop along to meet some more of you!

The good news is the foot is loads better, but having facebooked GP friend and spoken to physio friend I'm going to be good and stick to swimming, body pump, pilates/balance and skiing for the rest of the month, then get gait analysis and check shoes and see how it goes image

No more snow forescast though, just too cold to thaw, so will be taking a drive to leeds for some indoor snow action at the weekend - which just seems wrong when there's so much snow here, a friends got some awesome pics of skiing with headtorches down winhill lastnight!

That sounds awesome! I was running round the hills of Loxley like a loony last night but a bit of night skiing would have been even better!

Drop me a PM with your number and I'll keep you posted re Saturday.

• Mozzy wrote (see)
    Stuart H wrote (see)

That is a spookily accurate character analysis Stu!

I did a module in psychology at uni don't youknow! image

Well that and I've seen that competitive side come out on occasion... "GET ON THAT BIKE BAZ, THIS IS A RACE! GO, GO, GO!!!!" image

• BM Becky wrote (see)

Ooooh, send me a text when you get into town on Saturday, I may pop along to meet some more of you!

I have some good news more on the way tonight, tomorrow and sunday forecast keeps changing through.
  • Stuart H wrote (see)
    Well that and I've seen that competitive side come out on occasion... "GET ON THAT BIKE BAZ, THIS IS A RACE! GO, GO, GO!!!!" image

I think that could be the moment that proves I'm not as competitive as others. I still occasionally have nightmares about that.

• Just been into Up & Running and they have:

Inov8 (5 models from Mudclaw, Mudroc and Roclite)
    Salomon (2 models XA pro and Speedcross)
    Brooks Cascadia
    Mizuno Harriers
    Saucony Something
    Asics Trabuco
    Nike Pegasus Trail

You should find something from that lot to suit - though they aren't as cheap as you can get online.

• Something like this? £50 is a bit more palatable than £80.
  • Loser Baz wrote (see)
    Something like this? £50 is a bit more palatable than £80.
    Yup, thats about the size of the gap in price.
  • Baz - on events it says 600 limit at RV 10K. for 2010.  Last year there were 1319 finishers at Theo`s 10k.

Ta all for the recommendations for trail shoes. I want some of the Adidas ones I reckon but I`ve only ever been to Meadowhall once and don`t intend to go again, if I can avoid it. I`ve seen them on-line somewhere for £40 but can`t remember where. Managed to do some intervals this afternoon but it was either a bit slippery or a bit deep wherever I went in Millhouses Park. Good though.

Stu - I`d like to pop along for a drink on Saturday but I doubt I`ll be able to. The Cremorne isn`t bad and is near to Dim Sum. Have a good un!

• Mozzy telling Baz and Cake to GO GO GO (and I was too) whilst shoveling chunks of chocolate into their mouthes!! One of the funniest things!

• Just back from a 3.5m run in the snow - only my headtorch to light the way.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs169.snc3/19639_1185164071413_1297603758_30460480_2366030_s.jpg

Would have done more but my hip started to hurt after 3m.

• ET - if you go for the adidas kanadia the advice is they are on the small side size wise, so may need to look at up to a full size more than normal.  i have tried a pair on once and the 10's were very tight on my foot.

sports direct have a store at crystal peak retail park where you may get a pair -  a bit better than meadowhell.

• Diddz - thanks for the advice. Now go easy on that hip. They can cause real problems if pushed too much. I know plenty about them after my problems with ITBS in the summer!