CrossTraining

I am in Week 3 of a 10 week HM training programme (my first).

My mileage is increasing week on week and far more than I've done before (I have only been running 6 months).

Despite this I fancy some cross training - in particular attending a local "spinning" class. It is a 45min session.

As I haven't done anything like this before am I risking injury by doing this class especially on a "rest" day.

Advice greatfully received.

TIA

Kev

Comments

• Hi Kev - I have  been running under 6 months and in week 3 of a 12 week HM training programme so similar position to yourself.  Before I started running I used to do spinning and loved it (well after first few weeks I did!!) and since started running I go spinning once a week but on a cross training day not a rest day; it feels fine but don't think I would risk it on rest day as it can make your legs ache like crazy after first few classes.

Have to admit - I like to properly rest on my rest days (I need it!)

Helen

• Thanks Helen. At present I run 4 days and have three rest days so I suppose I mean coverting a rest day in to a cross training day?
  • Kev - rest is important but I wouldn't have thought you need 3 days of it so throw in a class and see how it goes.  I don't think you'll do any harm as the classes are low impact but are a great cardio workout.  Just don't do one the day before a hard running session.
  • Running Kev wrote (see)

Despite this I fancy some cross training - in particular attending a local "spinning" class. It is a 45min session.

cross-training??

Get yourself entered in a couple of Cyclo-Cross races Kev, you'll get cycling & running in one fell swoopimage

Look here, you'll find links to the calendar

http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclocross

• Thanks B-D-B

Richard - 1 step (or revolution) at a time!

Only just bought a mountain bike!

• The cross champs at the weekend are cancelled due to the conditions. I think spinning is a much safer bet !
  • Running Kev wrote (see)

Thanks B-D-B

Richard - 1 step (or revolution) at a time!

Only just bought a mountain bike!

You can use that, you don't need a cross bike (only in regional Championships & above)
    cougie wrote (see)
    The cross champs at the weekend are cancelled due to the conditions. I think spinning is a much safer bet !

I knowimage

We used to race in the ice & snow, last years Championships in Bradford (Peel Park) was frosty, but was a damn fine event to watchimage

• Spinning is great fun!  I got told not to do a class the day before a long run though because it makes your legs tired and can affect your running form making an injury more likely.

• I love spinning!  I used to do 4 classes a week before I did running, now I have my own spinning bike and I use it at home when the weather is bad.  A spinning workout is as hard as you make it - you add your own resistance to make it harder to turn the pedals, so you could vary between a moderate and very high intensity workout depending on the amount of resistance you use and the effort you put in.  I always used to push myself to a very high intensity at most classes, but there were a few people who you could tell were not pushing themselves very much.

I find that it helps strengthen my knee joints and so helps with my running.

• Richard Thackeray 2 wrote (see)
    Running Kev wrote (see)

cross-training??

Get yourself entered in a couple of Cyclo-Cross races Kev, you'll get cycling & running in one fell swoopimage

Look here, you'll find links to the calendar

http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/cyclocross

I had a read of the link- cyclo cross looks great fun. I took up mountain biking 18 months ago, and i love it though I find some of the difficult descents really scary!

• Enjoyes the spinning - great work out. 45 mins went fast!

A bit tired tonight.

Out for a 6.5 miler in the morning.

• Vicky Probyn wrote (see)

I had a read of the link- cyclo cross looks great fun. I took up mountain biking 18 months ago, and i love it though I find some of the difficult descents really scary!

Cross is good fun, & polite too!, there's generally an 'Excuse me!, on your right/left!" before someone overtakes

Wheels/tools/pumps will be lent to someone who has a problem at our local series

http://www.yorkshirecyclocross.org.uk/

Plus, the winter events are usually 'an hour, plus a lap' (summer series are 45 minutes - so everything can be tidied away before dusk commences)

Mountain Bikes are welcome, as I previously stated, & there's a few ladies generally enter the events

This guy usually attends too

http://www.flamingphotography.co.uk/

Older pics are archived here;

http://flamingphotography2.uuuq.com/