What if I don't get in

Comments

• I ran Barcelona this year as an alternative to London.
    Obviously, it can't compare to the atmosphere and size of London but I found it really friendly and enjoyable. It was amazing running up La Rambla as the finale to the run. I certainly intend to return next year (it's on 21st March)
  • LarsLars ✭✭✭
    M,

this year there were some races in Europe in March and April that had more than 2000 runners, so that nobody has to feel lost while running them:

Barcelona, Rom, Marseille, Lyon, Paris, Bonn, London, Rotterdam, Turin, Zürich, Hamburg, Madrid and Padua. Linz had just over 1000 and might already be a bit small for me.
    Duesseldorf, Prag and Vienna are in May and alternatives.

You can find links to their web pages under www.marathon-kalender.de, and then click marathon and the month you want.

I haven´t decided so far, but if I don´t get into London I am thinking about Paris or Rotterdam, maybe Lyon. I think it is nice to have it done while all the others are still doing their long runs.

And there are always the big ones in Boston or Vancuver.
  • Lars - you are a star!

Connemara - March 28
    Rome - March 28
    Lyon - March 28
    Bonn - April 4
    Zurich - April 4
    Paris - April 4
    Rotterdam - April 4
    Turin - April 18
    Hamburg - April 18
    Tresco - April 18
    Linz - April 18
    Shakespeare - April 25
    Padua - April 25
    Lochaber - April 25
    Madrid - April 25
    Dusseldorf - May 2
    Vienna - May 16
    Prague - May 23

Barcelona - ?(mid March)
    Bungay Black Dog - ?(late March or early April)
    Taunton - ?(early April)
    Le Touquet - ?(mid April)
    Leeds - ?(early May)
    Sheffield - ?(in June last year!)
    Lake Vyrnwy - ?(early June)
  • Ooooooh, didn't realise there were so many spring marathons. Well, it least it goes to show there's more to life than FLM. I got so worked up last year when I applied for london and was so dissapointed when I failed to get in. I'm not even going to bother this year, I'd rather support one of the smaller marathons.
  • And if things get postponed there's always Rekjavik in August - a few forumites thinking of going...
  • Maybe I could do that as my second marathon ;-)
  • and we are getting a team together for the hull 24 - zill can crew!
  • 24 miles pah

hull oh erm have to think about it
  • erm yes its been pointed out that this is a 24 hour and not 24mile race and therefore since I am looking to retain my sanity until the 2005 ironman i will not be entering hull next year (but might for fun the year after)
  • I did Turin in 2000, and then done London for the first time 2 weeks later, 3.24, followed by a 3.28....

Turin was excellent and i can certainly recommend it, about 3000 runners, fairly flatish, one hill before halfway i think, some nice countryside, and a finish through the city!

Ryanair flys there from Stansted for cheap flights, paid about 35 quid i think at the time. Reasonable cost of hotels, and on-line entries, i really enjoyed it!

The only downsides i can remember, are Sparkiling water or Pure orange juice at stations...and KM markers instead of miles, which caught me out!

But overall this is the only overseas one i have done, and was great!

May consider again, when i get my annual rejection (2000 was my only success out of 9 attempts!)

Gary
  • I'm going to apply for Copenhagen on 16 May. The Danish Crown Prince Frederik is getting married on 14 May and the atmosphere in the city that weekend is going to be incredible. I just hope they don't change the date of the marathon because of the royal wedding.
  • LarsLars ✭✭✭
    LL, I can imagine that Kopenhagen will be expensive during that weekend. All the hotels will be booked out by crazy people wanting to see some guy getting married.
    On the other hand, Danish supporters are great. There were about 10000 of them at the Berlin marathon. I will do a Danish marathon at some point but not this year.
  • Oh go on Lars. It will be "Wonderful" !!
    I have a good friend who lives in Copenhagen(Frederiksberg)so I'm going to stay with her. Its just a matter of sorting out the flights and deciding whether to take the family with me. I must start a thread...
    PS Are you Danish?
  • An update for BBB....

Barcelona - March 14
    Connemara - March 28
    Rome - March 28
    Lyon - March 28
    Bonn - April 4
    Zurich - April 4
    Paris - April 4
    Rotterdam - April 4
    Turin - April 18
    Hamburg - April 18
    Tresco - April 18
    Linz - April 18
    Shakespeare - April 25
    Padua - April 25
    Lochaber - April 25
    Madrid - April 25
    Neolithic - May 2
    Dusseldorf - May 2
    Belfast - May 3
    Copenhagen - May 16
    Vienna - May 16
    Prague - May 23
    Stockholm - June 5
    Edinburgh - June 13

Taunton - ?(early April)
    Leeds - ?(early May)

I'm still favouring Rotterdam myself
  • Taunton is usually the week before FLM.

There is also Dartmoor Vale on 13 June.
  • There's a thread somewhere on Rotterdam that says it has a 5 hour cutoff. Just thought you might like to know.Not relevant to me of course (she lied).
  • oh - do you have to have run under 5hrs before?

I'd hope to finish in about 4ish but this will be my first marathon so wouldn't be able to prove it.
  • ok after a bit more research - there is a 5hr cut off but no qualifying time required so i'll probably stick with it - although i suspect this means i'll be in the last few percent of finishers.
  • Barcelona - March 14
    Connemara - March 28
    Rome - March 28
    Lyon - March 28
    Bonn - April 4
    Zurich - April 4
    Paris - April 4
    Rotterdam - April 4
    Turin - April 18
    Hamburg - April 18
    Tresco - April 18
    Linz - April 18
    Shakespeare - April 25
    Padua - April 25
    Lochaber - April 25
    Madrid - April 25
    Neolithic - May 2
    Dusseldorf - May 2
    Belfast - May 3
    Copenhagen - May 16
    Vienna - May 16
    Prague - May 23
    Stockholm - June 5
    Dartmoor Vale - June 13
    Edinburgh - June 13

Taunton - ?(early April)
    Leeds - ?(early May)
  • LarsLars ✭✭✭
    M.,
    you have more serious runners in other marathon runs than London, but you are still running it for yourself so the % doesn't matter.
    I think there shouldn't be the word finisher on the shirts, there should be the word winner on all shirts.

I might go to Rotterdam myself.
  • Lars - you are so right.

And at least 5 hours gives me a bit of leeway for something to go wrong. At Sheffield you are "invited to retire" if the sweeper bus overtakes you - timed to finish at 4hrs30.
  • My tentative plan for a spring marathon is Wroclaw in Poland on April 25.
  • LindyLindy ✭✭✭
    There's always the tromso(Most northern brewery in the world:Norway) midnight sun marathon in june.-
  • This is a very useful thread as I too am looking for a spring marathon. Where pray is Wroclaw? It's not Polish for Warsaw is it?
  • From www.wroclaw.com

Wroclaw is the economical, cultural and intellectual capital of Lower Silesia, located in southwestern Poland, 160 km from Germany and 120 km from the Czech Republic. It is well equipped with communication facilities: international airport, railways, highways and river ports. Medium - light industry, trade, service and education are major employers. The city with its charming historical center, parks, good restaurants, hotels and friendly people (700.000 inhabitants) is a pleasant place to visit and to do business.
  • Planning the next one after monday then?