Running after blood loss? will it help or hinder?

On Sat night I had an accident in the home that resulted in me losing (according to the ambulance tech) ~1-1.5L of blood. This week I've not had any inclination to run, gym or ride my bike - basically feeling like cr#p although I do feel more like 88% human today. I've been eating well, sleeping lots, abstaining from alcohol (apart from a small glass of port last night image) and taking Vit and Iron supplements. All this in an attempt to regenrate red blood cells as quickly as possible. I've also been trying to limit coffee but when you're crushingly tired the espresso machine is awfully tempting.

Anyway... as above I am feeling better today and thinking about starting training again but my prime concern is a ski holiday in a week's time. Another week off running won't make much difference to my running plans for the year but I do not want to be anaemic at 3330m.

So... will a gentle return to either running or CV gym training help or hinder in my skiing fitness, particularly wrt red blood cell count?

Comments

• bar the use of EPO I don't think there is anything that will speed up the production or volume of RBC's in a short timescale - I "think" they are produced at a standard rate so exercising may not provide the results you hope for....

I would think however that 2 weeks will be sufficient to have made up most of the loss so you should be fine for skiing - and bearing in mind that you're unlikely to be all your time at 3330m

probably some exercise will be better for for you soul than the body so get some done!
  • Jeez - thats a heck of a slight accident !

After I give blood - I'm definitely slower - sometimes I can run OK, and rarely I really feel like I'm gasping for breath.

I think you'll notice the loss of blood if you work out tonight, but you should be able to manage it if you slow down ? I cant see that an hour would slow your healing down much.
  • To be honest if you haven't felt like doing anything, it won't hinder your training or mental health not to train and you still only feel 88% - why would you? Rest and recuperate, continue eating the right things and resting as much as possible and enjoy your skiing holiday!
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)
    To be honest if you haven't felt like doing anything, it won't hinder your training or mental health not to train and you still only feel 88% - why would you? Rest and recuperate, continue eating the right things and resting as much as possible and enjoy your skiing holiday!

The thing is, I'm beginning to feel 'the urge' again (for training).

I might have a gentle go in the gym tonight. I don't fancy going out for a run and coming to a flat stop at the furthest point from home.

• Hmmm- takes up to 6 weeks to replenish red cell volume- what you need is sufficient iron/ folate to do this quickly- either lots of red meat, or even some iron pills if your diet is crap.

It'll be fine.

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    tricialitt wrote (see)

Hmmm- takes up to 6 weeks to replenish red cell volume- what you need is sufficient iron/ folate to do this quickly- either lots of red meat, or even some iron pills if your diet is crap.

It'll be fine.

My diet is typically pretty good. In fact, normally the only criticism would be that there's too much red meat in it. I've also been taking a vit and iron tablet daily since. It's quite possible that I can't speed up the replacement of red blood cells but I'd like to think I'm giving my body every chance to do so - even if it only ends up being five and a half weeks instead of six.
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭

Well the gentle gym session passed off without incident.

Maybe a run tomorrow image

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    [battles with curiosity, which is of course notoriously dangerous for cats...]
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Jj wrote (see)
    [battles with curiosity, which is of course notoriously dangerous for cats...]
    the nature of the accident?
  • JjJj ✭✭✭

[mumble]
    yus.
    sowwee.

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭

short version...

Slipped in the bathroom and fell onto glass bathroom scales which shattered. Small cut on left shin which bled a fair bit. I stopped the bleeding, cleaned it up and went to bed.

Next thing it's 330am and I wake up in a blood bath with an arterial squirter. I try (unsuccessfully) to stop the bleeding while Mrs Higs phones for an ambulance. Pressure dressing stopped it squirting and after two hours sat in A&E, the doc puts a single stitch in it.

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    oh yikes! image

Thank goodness you woke up!

<<<<thank you for satisfying my curiosity>>>>
  • I was too polite to ask image Glad you're feeling better - and thanks for asking Jj!
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • yet another good reason why you should never have scales at home - just go on the "if it's tight, lose some weight" principle... image

glad to hear you're fine though Higs - that must have been a bit of a shocker!
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭

Mrs Higs was more shocked than I was.

And has stipulated that any replacement scales are NOT to be made from glass.

• BB ✭✭✭
    phew what a nightmare, glad you're ok. I have read somewhere that vit C really helps the body absorb iron, so drinking orange juice with your iron tabs may help to absorb them more...