Baxters Loch Ness Marathon 2010

I know, it's aaaaages away yet, but I've just signed up for this as my very first ever marathon. image  Looks like I'm committed to doing it now....

Anyone else planning to be there?

Comments

• I am very tempted, I did my first mara 7 weeks ago in Leicester, my second will be Brighton in April and this could be my third............yep I'm goin to enter!
  • It's on my wish list for next year
  • Thats it.. entry done.. im in!! C U there Sheri
  • Getting excited already. Eep.

Anyone considering the Inverness Half in March? Or anyone done it before?

• Sheri 12    I am entered into the Inverness Half and really scared as its my first.......

and i heard this year in snowed, that would be a giggleimage

• Lo again just did 5 mile felling ok but i beer monster force is strongimage
  • I am thinking of entering this as my first marathon. I will be running the Great North Run 2 weeks prior but I think I will be ok with that.
  • Hi all,

I am entering LNM 2010. I did it this year and it was very tough. I did it in 5:07:09. Have decided to do it again as it is a BIG challenge and I really enjoyed my week stay in Inverness.

I'm also doing Brighton in April and the Sea Bank Marathon in June which is a tough one as it is mainly off road.

• Hi all....I'm thinking about this one, but the fact that "all runners are transported to the race start" does turn me off a bit, considering there are 3500 runners.  Is anyone able to comment on how this works because, apart from that, it sounds like a wonderful run?

Thanks.

• Hi Tina,

I did Loch Ness this year and they did have a few problems with the buses. In theory, all entrants meet up in Inverness at the finish and are then bussed in convoy to the start which is obviously 26 miles away.

There was a large increase in entrants this year and some of the buses did not arrive for which the Bus Company has taken responsibility. All the buses were held in Inverness until replacement buses were found. This obviously caused problems with runners who were taking on liquid prior to running a marathon! Luckily my bus had a toilet. The start was delayed by 1 hour.

However everything else about the race was first class and I would not let this put you off what is a great marathon.

As long as the organisers take on board the problems caused and don't allow the race to get too big I think it will be OK.

Definitely one I'll be doing again in future.
  • PS Hi Dave, hope you are well,

Am doing Edinburgh in May but may look elsewhere than Loch Ness for my Autumn marathon although nothing set in stone yet.

Good luck with your running.

• Thanks Goldeagle,

While I was running Loch Ness I said never again.  It was very tough for me and when I crossed the finishing line I fell exhuasted and I had to be taken to the medical tent.  It took the first aid team 45 minutes to get my body temparture back to normal.

But I have decided to run it again as I didn't want it to beat me.  Next year I'm going to beat it.

Tina,  Don't worry what I said.  This is one of the best marathons I have taken part in and I have done 11 marathons so far.  The bus problem did not take away the great camaraderie amonst all the runners and I think I speak for everyone who ran it that we had a great time especially afterwards when a group of us met for a celebration meal and drinks.

So I hope you can make it,

Merry Christmas and a Happy Running New Year, Dave.

• I am in, have wanted to run this for years, so 2010 it is for me, and accomodation already bookedimage
  • Yup- will be my 3rd time- hilly, but great. I NEED to beat 4hrs this time- 4:01.20something last year.....GRrrrrrrr- and ther was nothing I could do about it!
  • Any advice of accommodation for this race would be gratefully received.image

• hopetofinish-it does seem that accommodation gets booked up very fast for this race and B&B is not very cheap, £35-£45pppn, so myself, my wife and 4 friends have booked a Sykes cottage for the 6 of us for the whole week, think we have it booked form October 2nd -9th and got it for around £262 for all of us self catering, we have used Sykes several times and cottages are always top class and cleanimage
  • Tina K wrote (see)

Hi all....I'm thinking about this one, but the fact that "all runners are transported to the race start" does turn me off a bit, considering there are 3500 runners.  Is anyone able to comment on how this works because, apart from that, it sounds like a wonderful run?

Thanks.

To the best of my knowledge there were no problems in 2008 when I did it.

Met up at the Leisure Centre and got on the bus no problem.

I'd love to do it again, but just can't afford it.

For information puposes I stayed here

http://bannermanbandb.co.uk/index.html

Which is only a 10min walk to the start, very friendly, cheap and very flexible.

• hi all

im in this one too

everything booked (flights, b and b) just the training to get under way, im doing edinburgh marathon in may so 2 scottish marathons this yearimage

happy training

• Hi all,

Well, its done. I've entered today and booked my b&b at the same hotel as last year.

• Thanks to everyone for the info. Although all the comments were really positive, I've decided to give this a miss (at least for this year anyway).  I'm in for Windermere in May instead.  Best of luck to all.

Tina.

• With the net downhill does this still qualify as a good for age time......????
  • I'm in this fantastic looking event. It will be my first marathon and as a Scot living in West Yorks, I could not think of a better event. Accomodation is booked and I will be spending a week up there with my wife. Really excited and 2 weeks after the GNR. Booked the pasta party tickets too image.
  • Welcome Johny, I did Loch Ness last year and it was a great experience so I know that you will enjoy it, but get in the hill training. You will need it. Good luck mate.
  • imagewelcome johny

this will be my 2nd marathon first one being in edinburgh in may, but looking forward to this one more image

ive booked the pasta party too

dave, ive got no choice but to hill train, being in derbyshire you cant get away from them image

but it does help when you get in a hilly run image

happy training

• Nice to see this thread with some activity at this early stage........but it's a long way 'til the race- I can't actually remember whether I've put an entry in yet?????????image
  • I definitely need to do more hill training. Hills are not my strong point. Not today though as I seem to have mysteriously done something to my back, no idea what, but it’s been really sore since yesterday morning. image

Disappointing as we are only just free enough of snow and ice to be able to run outside again.

Oh well, with 9 months to go I’m not panicking yet!

• just cause i live with hills around doesnt mean i like or am any good running them image

hope your back is ok sheri

• Thanks Angie & Dave for the support image. I generally train on hilly runs but I will look at getting in a couple of hilly events late summer if possible. I am running in the Liversedge half in a few weeks which is hilly. I know I could have picked an easier event for my first marathon but I am sure I will be fine if I train properly.
  • have fun at liversedge i was going to do it but the hilly profile put me off image

im doing sleaford half at the end of feb and then the kilomathon in march image

• Oooh I was thinking of trying somewhere else for an autumn marathon but this thread is making me think again. I loved this race last year, the weather was perfect, the atmosphere amazing, the scenery was outstandingly stunning as you'd expect and despite The Hill I got a PB. the temptation.....