half marathon training plan

hi,

Can anyonne point me to the direction of getting a training plan for the scottish half marathon, they only provide plans for the full race. this is my third and I aim to do it within the 2 hours as my last races were over that, can anybody help??

Lyn

Comments

•  Hi Lyn - just a suggestion – but you might have a look at: http://buparunning.think.eu/training/training-programmes/beginner-half-marathon/ They do an intermediate half-marathon plan in the same series. Might be worth checking whether the race will have pace-setters (I suspect they will). I managed to keep up with the 2-hour pace-man for the English Half Marathon earlier this year - and that got me in - just under two hours... Good Luck!
  • linky thing to RW training schedules

If you're interested in half marathon schedules, think you'll find them on this page.  There's also the Smartcoach facility on this website somewhere - sorry, couldn't find itimage.  If/when you do find it, then think that you can input your current times and it will produce a schedule for you which should allow you to reach your goal.

Failing that, there are probably loads floating around the ether on t'interweb, Fetch is another site, as is realbuzz.

I'm presuming that any half mara schedule would do, rather than a specific one for the race you've mentioned - I take it that the distance is the sameimage.

I'd have thought that you'd have found something in this forum, try the search function too.

Good luckimage but come back if you don't find what you're after.

• linky thing to RW training schedules

If you're interested in half marathon schedules, think you'll find them on this page.  There's also the Smartcoach facility on this website somewhere - sorry, couldn't find itimage.  If/when you do find it, then think that you can input your current times and it will produce a schedule for you which should allow you to reach your goal.

Failing that, there are probably loads floating around the ether on t'interweb, Fetch is another site, as is realbuzz.

I'm presuming that any half mara schedule would do, rather than a specific one for the race you've mentioned - I take it that the distance is the same in Scotland as in Englandimage.

Must admit, I'd have thought that you'd have found something in this forum, try the search function too.

Good luckimage but come back if you don't find what you're after.

• Hi that is a great help. although the bup one is only for 12 weeks I am wanting to start in my training now so say one for 16 weeks or more....
  • Hi Lynette

Sounds like you're getting started on the half marathon training early, and that can only be a good thing. I'd say pick a training plan from a reputable runners' website, work out a start date by counting back from the date of the Scottish Marathon, and spend the time between now and then getting some good mileage in to build up your stamina and speed. Apart from that, it's a good idea to find a training partner who can do the distance in your target of under 2 hours and will ease you out of your comfort zone. 

Cameron R   

• Hi Lynette,

Try this one:

http://www.running4women.com/starting_out.php?article_id=18

You can download it in excel. I have and intend to try to get myself in gear and follow it in the new year!

Let me know if it is any good!

Regards,

Lee

• hi,

i checked out the womens running schedule a wee bit easy for  me, I am aiming to do it in 2 hours, fingers crossed! and I need a plan that runs for around 16 weeks any plans i look at are for 10 to 12 weeks....any advice where i could find a suitable one would be appreciated??

• Use a 12 week plan and re -do some of the weeks. It will only help.
  • thanks for that I am not in my first week, and lets just say I have a long way to go, having to stop a few time s on a 30 min run, so i have a long road ahead of me!!
  • Lyn 

I know the feeling. I've done a few half  and full marathons in the past but nothing much for a year now but intend to start training for a half soon. A slow, gradual build up to an hour's running is my plan, then I shall follow a schedule.

Cameron

• Lyn, like Cameron R  said, spend the next few weeks just working on the miles and speed, then start a schedule.

The 10- or 12-week schedules tend to assume you're already running say 3 miles or 30 minutes three times a week before you start the schedule. So, concentrate on getting to that point - or better - before you start one of the schedules.

If it helps, take on of the schedules, see how much they increase per week, and backtrack by the same about from their week one?

• hi

thats what i m thinking, my training schedlue is for twelve weeks, so i have time to focus on week 1 for next 2 or more weeeks, i m doing some other training too , my legs were so painful this week but i will get used to it. thanks for advice.