Sub 3:30 - VLM 2010

Just started week 1 of the RW training plan.

All going well.

A well deserved day off tomorrow. image

Comments

• Hi Jayos,

well after 12 years of watching the marathon on TV and saying I will do this when I am older (I think 37 qualifies as sufficiently old), I was very fortunate to get a place in my running club's ballot so now concentrating on doing the training to get a decent time.

At this point not following a plan closely but making sure I do a long run (14+ miles), a 5K race (Park Run), Interval session and a Tempo run weekly with a view to doing 30+ miles a week. 

Would be very interested to hear how other people are getting on with training and tips to achieve this time (3:30 is very respectable I reckon!!!) without doing much more than 30 miles per week.

Cheers,
    Dave.

• Sounds like a good plan Dave.

Are there any experts on nutrition out there?

I eat a fairly healthy diet (everything in moderation) But with the mileage increasing on the longer runs how much should you increase your carb intake?

Currently eating Porridge & a bannana for breakfast, pasta something for lunch and evening meal.

Also a number of people have recommended to start training with gels, what's your thoughts?

• Hi guys

I'll come and join in the fun on a sub 3:30 thread.   Have managed  1 sub 3:30 marathon previously which was 5-6 years ago.  Was aiming for it last year but achieved a 3:31 having cramped at about 18 miles and for the subsequent 8 miles on and off! 

I don't generally go much over 30 miles per week,  there will probably be 3 weeks over this mileage about 4-6 weeks out from the event.  Like you Dave,  1 long run building up in distance, 1  tempo run and I swear by Yasso 800s as an interval session.  I also try and make sure I get a weights based circuit in on a weekly basis,  and don't forget the core stability work and stretching / flexibility to balance it all off!

Re the nutrition Jayos,  see what suits you best in training and stick with it.  I weigh myself once a week to make sure I'm not over / under eating but generally just rely on how my body feels which gives me a pretty good guide as to if I'm short on calories / energy.   For me, decent breakfast of cereal & toast, sandwich lunch,  balanced evening meal with a couple of snacks throughout the day to keep energy levels / blood sugar as consistent as possible.
    An hour run at 8 min mile pace will probably burn c.800 calories so  once at a decent level of length on longer runs you'll be getting through another 1500-2000 calories on top of your daily requirement of c. 2200-2500,  that's a fair amount of additional carbs required.

Re gels,  I start using them in training for any run over about 12 miles to just get the body used to it,  jelly beans/ jelly babies can work just as well if you want to save some cost. 

Hope that helps as a starter!

Long slow 13 miler done for me this morning,  it was nice to get out and not be running through snow!

• Pleased with my weekend training:

Sat: 5.5 miles with 4.5@6:50 ish (which felt surprisingly comfortable) in torrential rain.

Sun:15 miles at 8:20ish

Plan to get a couple of runs in this week to take me over 30miles.

Jaffa, thanks for your comments; yes, recently discovered Yasso 800's -  v painful!!

Just had a wee read about gels - interesting. This is a new topic for me...

• Good stuff David,  that's good pace at this stage for a long run,  3:30 should be more than achievable with a sensible training programme for the next 14 weeks. 

I do my Yassos on treadmill as it allows consistency of pace,  I'm starting them off again on Thurs this week,   it will be 4x800m in 3 mins (hoping I can manage this) with a 3 min walk / slow jog recovery.   I tend to start off with a fairly low number of reps but at a quicker pace than suggested for 3h30m marathon pace,  but that suits me best having been a mid distance track runner a long time ago!  I'll build them up over the next 3 months as follows until I get to 10 reps.   4,5,5,6,6,7,7,8,8,9,9,10.

Rest day for me yesterday,  then an hour run first thing this morning and just back from a 45 min weights based gym circuit.

• I think I am probably doing my LR a wee bit too quick - 40 secs over Target Pace seems to be recommended.

Just back from identical Yasso session you describe (although outside) interstingly! I think I could manage 4 but no more. That said, I think if you were able to build up to 10 sets then you would be targetting 3hr rather than 3.5hr.. Good luck with that....

• Will have to look up Yasso's

Intervals on Tues went well. 4x1mile with 3 min jog between

Just finished 7 miles @ 9:00 my legs felt like lead weights all the way round. I'm sure they will be fine tomorrow though

• Legs are fine today image just finished a great 4 miles steady @ 8:00

Does anyone else get heavy legs the day after intervals?

• Hi all

Glad to see there's a sub 3:30 thread. Seems to be some experienced runners on here so sure I can learn a thing or two.

Am possibly foolish/naive in trying to follow the RW sub 3:30 program after doing 4hr 17 in last years FLM. In my defence it was rather hot and ran with a friend who struggled a bit but if I'm honest I don't think my training and prep were ideal. Quite a few LSR runs but no interval or hill training and the longest midweek run was about 6 miles. My pb's until then were 45M for 10K and 1:45 for a HM although it was Henley with the infamous hill. Also i was rather foolishly a social smoker which have now completely cut out since Xmas.

So far the interval sessions have been difficult but achievable, tell myself that if they were easy they probably wouldn't be helping. The session I was dreading was the 43M 10K/ 36M 5M but managed to do the 5M in 36M yesterday without too much difficulty. Then went out intending to do a LSR today but ran with a friend who's much younger and fitter and ran 13.1M in 1hr 39 which I was over the moon at as 6M off my PB but then also kicked myself as I know it's not what the program says so now going to rest for at least a day. Saying that, can't stop smiling image

Loving my running at the moment

Regards, CK

• Guys,

How do these YASSOs 800s work - I am following the RW training programme (Just done my half marathin yesterday and felt fine) I followed their schedule before and hit my predicted time.

I have started going to my local running track midweek to do my speedwork - i find it helps to be on a track with some other people who are all working on their speed. Really enjoying the 6 days of training per week + i am cyclingalso which i find is really helping.

Cheers

• Actually, i just read up on the Yasso's theory and I have actually done it before (I did not realise what it was called)

What are people's thoughts on Yasso's instead of the speed/tempo session planned each week by the RW schedule? Which is better?

• Good to see you on the thread CK & Ciaran,  great to read your positive words too.

CK,  Good stuff no reason why you shouldn't follow the 3:30 programme and see how you go,  there should be a few races in their I think which will give you an idea as a guide along the training programme as to how achievable sub 3h30m is.  It all varies person to person how comfortable you find the longer runs and if you race a 1/2m in the build up.  I'd be hoping to hit a bit lower than 1:39 on route to a 3:30 marathon (probably a 1:35) but I know from experience that my body struggles from 20-22m in at sub 8 min mile pace.   You may handle it better than me.

Good weeks training for me incorporating LSR of +15miles, 5X Yassos today off 3mins, and some cycling / swimming thrown in too,  currently  enjoying a couple of glasses of Merlot before a well deserved rest day tomorrow!  image

• Evening Jaffa

Struggled with the interval session last night, did a 1M warm up followed by 3 x 2M @ 7MM with 0.5M interval but only managed 2M, 1M, 2M. Not sure if it was a result of overdoing it or that moving up from 4 x1M @7MM to 3 x 2M @7MM was too much of a jump. Any ideas?

Working my way through a bottle of Tanglefoot (on offer in Waitrose image watching UTD game and checking how Arsenal are doing.

Regards, CK
  • Evening all,

Not very nice out there tonight but you soon forget the conditions when you get going.

8 miles slow tonight, first week I haven't had heavy legs after my interval session image but went really well 73 mins on target according to schedule.

I tried a couple of gels on my LSR, made a real difference. Gotta say though, marathon training has got to be the best diet of all. Who's going to make the first video ready for next year?

• Hi All,

Jaffa, 5 lots of Yasso 800@3 mins? Must have hurt? I am yet to go past 3. May try 4, although have been mixing up longer 4*1mile intervals at slower pace 7MM - which is far, far easier. CK, that sounds like a good jump, I will give that a shot and let you know how I get on although I am struggling to think of a flat 2 mile stretch nearby.  

Training going well (managing 35+ rather than 30+ miles per week) and got my weekends nicely sorted with a 4 mile tempo run on the Sat about 6:50 and long run on the Sunday at 8:40ish - up to 16 miles now, managed last Sunday after a poor diet of haggis and whisky the night before image

Managing to get 2 or 3 runs in during the week,  mostly at lunchime. Heading down to my club tonight for interval sessions so may pick up some good tips...

Entered the Longleat 10k next weekend as in the area although I suspect it will be hideously painful with the hills! Still, may get a PB as yet to record a decent time (current PB 43.19) yet at this distance  although when doing a 10 miler last year went past 10k in about 42.

• So guys, what do you think? I am off to the track tonight shall i go for Yassos 800 or follow the RW tempo session?

Also, if i a runnign a 3:30 marathon - what time do i do my 800 sessions in?

cheers

• Hi All,

I'm a bit late joining this thread, but am also following RW sub 3.30 programme and have to agree with Jayos that last night's 8m slow was the first time that my legs felt good after the previous day's interval session!

Ciaran, i think that the point of Yasso 800s is to run them in the same time as you are hoping for in the Marathon, i.e:- 3.30 mins (not hours!).

If this is incorrect, please let me know guys because this is what i've been doing up 'til now?

• Hello all... I am new to the group but was very pleased to find it! Struggling with motivation at the moment what with the snow and then illness so think /hoping that seeing what you are all doing will help me to get back to into it properly and keep me going!
  • Hi all

Thought I would join this forum as this is my target (again) as well.  Did the RW training plan in 2007 and managed to get all the targets except for on the day itself.  Managed 3:47.  Maybe it was because it was very hot during the FLM that year and I was just recovering from illness... who knows ...did thoroughly enjoyed the day though.

I quite enjoy Yasso's and find them easier than the interval session I did this week (similar to Yasso but only 2 mins recovery!!!).

Hope you all get what you are aiming for, enjoy the training and like me, are looking forward to the next couple of months.

• Hi GM,

I completely agree about Tuesday's intervals... not much in the way of recovery time!

Trying not to look at the coming weeks hills intervals... GULP!!!

• Well was supposed to do an 8 mile slow today but as a little restricted with time did a 10K tempo run. Managed it in 46 minutes which I was a little despondent with as I felt as though I was going pretty fast. On reflection though as the first mile was in 9 minutes it's not too bad and actually 2 mins faster than I've ever run it before flat out.

Just seen such an improvement from starting intervals that there's almost an expectation to set pb's every time.

Odd question I know, but if you do a circular route, are the up hills balanced out by the down hills or would it still theoretically be faster on a flat course?

Thanks, CK
  • I think flat courses are faster.
  • Oompa

I agree, out of all the training I find hills the hardest.  I usually do mine in the gym on a treadmill so as to give some consistency.

CK

I also found that I improved with interval training with my local running club.  Iagree with DB9 regarding the courses.  Downhills are not nice on the quads!!!

Just did my (pseudo) 10K race on a treadmill. Managed 44:20...not quite sub-43 but a bit faster than I expected and did 5 miles at 7mm pace so well please. Nice rest day tomorrow then n easy 8 miler on Sunday and thats the 4th week done and dusted...now where did I put that glass of wine image

• Nice times Gadget Man

Have two bottles of London Pride put aside for tonight as intending to do the 15M tomorrow image Any more and the run will just have to wait until Sunday.

Regards, CK
  • Hello all,

3:30 is an optimistic target for me.  I have a half pb of 1:35 from October 09, but only managed FLM09 (my one and only 26.2) in 4:04, partly due to carrying an injury but mainly because I didn't have the strength to hold anything like my half pace for the full distance.  However, I seem to have carried some strength from last year's training into this year and January seems to have gone well with a 13 miler at 8:30 min miles last Saturday feeling pretty comfy.  (I am following a programme I got off the FLM site last year, I think it was done by Real Buzz..)

Just following the thread, some people claim an undulating course can be faster as it spreads out the muscle wear and tear. 

I try to coast down hills, i.e. try to avoid using my quads to brake and consequently speed up quite a lot.  You can then keep the momentum going for a while when you are on the flat if you manage to keep your feet turning over under you with an increased cadence and avoiding a heavy heel strike.  I got the hang of this in the snow as trying to brake meant I was more likely to go arse over tit.

However, I plod up hills - start to drift back in the crowd -, so I am pretty sure my fastest is on the flat.

• I am liking the fact that wine and beer aren't banned! Glass of wine for me tonight in preparation for 17 tomorrow..... although having been struggling with a cough and cold this week I think I will just have to see how I feel!
  • Andrea

One glass of wine tonight but 17 tomorrow... you must like the wine image

• Er... guys... a lot of talk about wine and beer... are we sure that we're on the right forum... now where's the sub 5.30 thread????