Rutland Water Marathon

I've entered the Rutland Water Marathon which is on the 7th Nov 2010. I think its a new event as I haven't heard of it before. I'm pretty excited about it as it looks great and I've been looking forward to getting my teeth into something this year. I don't know the area very well so any advice on accommodation would be appreciated.

By the way I found the event at ;
www.fat-feet.co.uk

Comments

• Robert

I glad you found the event.I stumble on it on Monday its includes Grimsthorpe 7 that 70miles and Bourne Wooland Half Marathon.I will enter the RUtland one this Week.Great website?

• I like the look of this one as well. I've entered the Ultra 70 event but am tempted by a couple of the others on the site. The Rutland Marathon and Woodland Half marathon look like they are in interesting locations.I agree about the website as well Speedy, pretty cool.

• Since RAF near Rutland was organise theses events. But now Anglian waters and National Trust and Wildlife save the events.Hopefully there still on the map as years goes by.I interesting to do Grimsthorpe 7. But not yet until I dunn London 50K  next month then I will decide otherwise maybe and 100% will for the Rutland Marathon event. Inwhich By Xmas 2010 will be my 35marathons then?
  • 35 Marathons is a great achievment,.well done. I haven't done that many,.. maybe 7-8 so far but am doing alot more ultras which I'm really enjoying and this Ultra 70 looks fantastic so can't wait. Any one else doing any of these events?
  • Have entered the Rutland Marathon - anyone know of lionks to the course? Is it hilly etc?

• Yeah, the website looks pretty cool, but there's not a great deal of information on it.

I'm kean to do the Rutland Water Maeaton, but there's very little info about the course, closing date, any limit on numbers...

BTW, I've started a thread from the event page here just to link to this thread, as it was already on the go.

• anyone got a course profile?
  • found one on Garmin Connect - looks ok. Think I am in, just waiting for my training partner to man up....
  • How's it look then, flattish?

I don't suppose you've seen anywhere what sort of numbers we can expect?

• yeah - no worse than BBCHM.... lol.

no idea on nos, I think the website will probably start to get some better info in the next few months!
  • I wouldn't count on it, judging by the other, earlier events (including the Woodland HM, which was yesterday!). I guess all the info you get is in the race pack, by which time it's too late to worry!

BTW have you seen the course profile for BBCHM on GoodRunGuide? It's a little bit misleading! It shows two 'lumps', the first of which we go under, and the second we go through!

• imagine the canal boats would struggle if that was anything like a true course profile!

if you open a garmin connect account (don't need a garmin) you can then go into 'explore' and find loads of runs by location/postcode etc. Quite useful if you ever want to know what a particular run looks like!
  • Strangely enough, I did just that after reading your earlier post - couldn't find RWM, then it started giving me error messages. Does it always start showing Toronto?
  • yeah, normally somewhere far flung but if you type in Rutland Water it brings up a few cycle/run routes. Profile looks ok, but remember Garmins are not the best at measuring ups and downs!
  • Not the best at A to B for that matter!
  • true! did you just do your first full recently then?
  • First full? Shakespeare, April 2008. Four more since (Shakespeare again, 2 x Robin Hood, & Draycote Water).
  • oh right, am getting confused! Have emailed FF from their website with a few questions - will let you know as and when they respond....

Cheers

• Hey guys, did the Woodland Half in Bourne that FF organised - the numbers were stopped at 160 and the race organisation was tres slickimage so would happily do another event of theirs.

Have cycled round Rutland Water a few times and I would say it 'undulates' but don't know the exact course of the run. It is 17ish miles round the water without doing the peninsular which is an additional 6ish. The peninsular part is probably the hilliest of it to be honest but the actuall surrounding area of Rutland Water itself is generally hills lol

I'm doing the Snowdonia Marathon in October and intend to use the 17miler round the water for some of my long runs because of the scenery which will make the miles easierimage

All in all it should be a good run if you do it, probably a little more challenging than a pure road race but it depends what floats your boat I guess. Good luck to all of you anywayimage

• "The peninsular part is probably the hilliest of it to be honest but the actuall surrounding area of Rutland Water itself is generally hills lol"

I really don't do hills so am going to have to think on this - I had assumed it'd be relatively flat around the water. Naiive?

• From what I remember, the trail does not follow the edge of the reservoir all the way round, there are inclines as the track goes through woodlands bordering the water and at some points you will be some distance from the water on footpaths or roads (I don't think I mis-navigated).  The inclines are not long enough to qualify as a hill in my book but steep enough to get heart rate out of normal comfort zone.  I haven't run the peninsula so I can't tell you about the terrain there.
  • You are correct Ferrous, the trail doesn't actually follow the waterline and the inclines on the whole are just that - inclines. There are a couple of points which are quite steep so I definitely wouldn't call this flat by any stretch of the imagination. If you are looking for a PB then this probably isn't the one for you, but that being said, you would be missing the whole point of what FF are trying to achieve. They are trying to set up races that have that little extra in terms of the surroundings to make them a little special and 'out of the norm'.

They did email the course plan for the Woodland Half that I just did a couple of weeks before the race with detailed instructions for the day etc but think that was only to competitors.

I wouldn't say that you were naiive in your assumption in the least Adrian, would seem logical if you didn't know the area. If I remember rightly Google Earth has imagery for the whole track and may give you an idea of the terrain. I didn't have my Garmin when I cycled it sorry so don't have the gen from that for you.

• Unable to offer comments on the thread subject area but thought I would share my experience of participating in a 'Fat Feet' event. Am already entered for the Grimsthorpe Ultra in July but decided (last minute) to enter the Bourne Woodland half marathon - the event took place on Sunday 30th May.

The venue was amazing and the event well organised. Marshalls were plentiful, friendly and encouraging. Drink stations were well placed, directions clearly marked and the course itself first class - lots of variety to deflect any boredom that a monotonous course can bring.

Friendly reception from staff at the finish line was also welcomed and finisher medal and goody bag a nice touch.

Cant wait for the Grimsthopre Ultra.
  • James Taylor 33

Good Luck for the Grimsthorpe Ultra.I been reading about this event and it will take 2 days and you run non stop through the night.That mean loads of food and Water?

I sensiable not mad because I love Ultra's but this Ultra to far and impossible to complete.I happy with 45 or 50miles.I allso do Rutland Water Marathon aswell.

• All,

Thanks for the valuable info - I will see what the chaps think in the morning.

I have to say that given that the whole purpose of the next mara is to get sub 4 having missed out marginally in Edinburgh, we may have to look at something like Amsterdam instead.

Sounds like this one would be a shame to do 'head down' and missing all the scenery!
  • Yeah, cheers folks.

I think I've just about given up on PB's this year, at any distance!

Unless I can find another 1/3-Mara, maybe...!

• I entered this one yesterday having heard it was 'flat'. Opps. Sounds a bit like Dublin to me. Oh well, I wanted a PB, but think that would still be possible even if this course is undulating if I manage to do more training than what I usually do. Still i couldn't do any others this year and Amsterdam was out, so I think I'll just enjoy this one and see what happens!
  • Seems a pretty good attitude, Sarah!image
  • Hey, Road kill. Have you entered then?

Just read the first page as seemed to miss that one yesterday. There is also another thread for this somewhere. The race organiser described the course as 'fairly flat with a few undulations' and I think they said the race limit was 1000.

Might try and get over to Rutland sometime over the summer and cycle round it to see what it's like.
  • Haven't got round to it yet, but I will, provided I get through the next race or two without further damage!