First Time Half Marathoners

Hi! Currently on week 4 of my HM schedule, for my first ever HM in March.

Any other first timers want to compare notes????

Comments

• Only ever done a 10K but planning to do a half this year, hows the training going?
  • I did my first HM in Sept last year, and my 2nd in Nov, so my training is still fresh in my memory image
  • I'm supposed to be training for a half marathon in May, but I've a feeling that i'm not going to be anywhere near fit enough to complete it!

I haven't been for a run since thursday last week, but I have been swimming 3 times, i'm struggling a little with all the new pressused of exercise on my body so i'm just breaking it in gently. I plan to go for a run today at some point and then again at the weekend.

Are you already a runner or are you starting it all from scratch?

• Morning! Sorry for short post last nigt - a bit more info about where I'm up to!

I started running last year, late April, after coming home form a fantastic holiday in Canada feeling so fit and healthy and being deternmined to make the most of it and try and keep that feeling. Managed a few plods around our country lanes, and then the children's school organised a 10k run in July. Children fussed me to enter, so I did, and then decided I'd better take it seriously! Bought some proper gear, found a trainging schedule and off I went.

Survived the 10k race, came last (out of 34) but in 64 minutes which I was very pleased with (it was a pancake flat course!) . I've continued running since, but missed most of December through work / snow / ice etc. New Year's Eve conversations with a friend who's doing VLM meant I agreed to enter a HM this year.

So, sights set on Forest of Dean on 28th March. Not *actually* entered yet, but will do if I survive my skiing holiday in a few weeks time without accident & injury!

I'm a slow runner, so I'm following the Runners World Sub 2:30 Hm schedule (which is really a duffers schedule - its still talking about run / walk right up to the Hm itself!). It does build the distance up slowly though, which is what I need.

I'm on week 4 now, need a 'faster' 4M today, and then 8M on Friday.

I'm finding looking ahead and seeing the mileage build up is really scary, so I'm trying hard NOT to look too far ahead. Also, when struggling with a 4M run last week, was trying very hard not to think 'its not even a third of the distance!!!'

half cockney - do you have a Hm in  mind?

danowat - 2 in 3 months - any plans for anymore, or is that it???

rachel - which HM are you planning for. May still gives you lots of time image

• No not a newbe, just not a good runner, do about 3 miles 3 times a week and did my first 10K last May,

but never run that far since!!

I would like to be better but it never seems to get any easier for me. I'm intending to do a half marathon this year though possibly the Humber bridge half as its local although it does have 2 killer hills!!

• Black And Tabby wrote (see)

danowat - 2 in 3 months - any plans for anymore, or is that it???

Yeah, the plan is to try and break 2:00 this year, as soon as I can get my knee issues sorted out, and I loose a couple more stone I'll be set!!!!
  • half cockney wrote (see)

No not a newbe, just not a good runner, do about 3 miles 3 times a week and did my first 10K last May,

but never run that far since!!

I would like to be better but it never seems to get any easier for me. I'm intending to do a half marathon this year though possibly the Humber bridge half as its local although it does have 2 killer hills!!

Ah - so you need to be increasing one of your runs each week.... How about entering another 10k soon, just to push you to get your distance up to 6M first? I've entered a 10k for next Sunday, which has been something of a motivator to get out even when it was icy!
  • danowat wrote (see)
    Yeah, the plan is to try and break 2:00 this year, as soon as I can get my knee issues sorted out, and I loose a couple more stone I'll be set!!!!
    Easy peasy then!!
  • Hello peeps i think the main thing is the taking part i ran gmr and gnr in 2004 and failed to set targets after that. I have just started again 3 months ago all be it only in the gym as i hit the scales at well over 18 stone i thought it was time to get my wobbly bum going . To date i have lost over 2 stone and run 5 miles 3 times a week i hit a new personal best this morning of 49 mins 40 secs for the 5 mile i am in this years great manchester 10k and great north hm so if i could offer any pearls of wisdom it would be ( its a fine line between being fit and unfit enjoy the moments when you are fit and go for the gradual improvements once you achieve your goals set new ones and dont ever let them slip away .) I personally try to change speed 1 weak and distance the next but for this year when i leave the gym and start my 12 week plan prior to manchester i will try and stick to the expert training plan sometimes to improve you have to set your goals that bit higher when you imput your info for the training plan by this i mean if you want to achieve under 2 hours set the plan for 1 hour 45 mins your sessions will be tougher but you will build the strength gradually i hope this makes sense.
  • I think increasing a weekend run is definately the best idea black & tabby

just a bit difficult finding the motivation when its so cold outside!! managed to get 3 runs in last week and on for 3 this week as well but before that we had so much snow and ice it was down to 1 or 2 a week!!

so now if I can keep to 3 then increase one upto 5-6 miles that will be great. although got a really busy weekend coming up so might not happen yet! (Its my birthday, 21 again!)

• Aim to get your long weekly run up to about 14 miles if possible, it helps massively (IMO) on the day, not only mentally, but also physically.
  • God at the moment 14 miles sounds impossible!!

But if you guys can do it then I suppose its only my head trying to stop my feeling PAIN!!!

• If you increase steadily, its amazing how far you can go.

Before I started running I was 24 stone, and couldn't get off the sofa without having a heart attack, but now I am 10 stone lighter and can run a half marathon (albeit slowly at 2:15), but I can do it.

If I can do it ANYONE can do it, you just need to be smart about your training.

• Thanks Danowat I know your right I have witnessed it first hand last year I decided to do a 10K

and my husband (non runner) said I'll do it with you!!

Since then he's lost 3 stone and is far more dedicated than I am!! The only problem is that he's kind of taken over and I need to step up to the mark and stop being a woos!!! 

I'm hoping once the light nights and the not such freezing weather return I'll find renewed vigor!!

• Hooray to light evenings again! And to half cockney finding some renewed vigour!! 

Danowat - amazing weight loss and fitness gain!! Unfortunately I won't have time to get upto 14 miles before my HM. My schedule increases by 1 mile extra on the long runs each week, and just makes it to 13 miles 2 weeks before the race. With my week away I'll have to miss that target as well, and so shold make it up to 12 miles before therace. Hopefully that will be enough to get me around!

Stephen - wise words about setting new goals once you've achieved your current goals - which is why I'm here instead of just pottling along doing 10k! Although I'm doing my training slightly differently to you. I've chosen an 'easy' schedule, as I know I can get out 3 times a week, and I don't want to push myself too hard and end up injured. So far, each of my runs have been faster than the schedule says, so I'm feeling good about 'beating' the schedule, rather than cross / disappointed / upset at not being able to keep up. I guess different things work for different people!

Did 4M this morning. Was supposed to be 'faster', but as my 10k next week is hilly, I thought I'd add in some hills. Well, one bloomin' big hill! It was so steep coming back up I did actually crack and walked for a little way (it was that, or hands and knees!). Anyway, made it back in good time, still fastr thanthe schedule said, so I'm image. Need to find an 8 mile route for Friday now ...

• Fantastic effort Black and Tabby, where's your week away?

Any chance of some training whilst there??

• In the French Alps - little place called Samoens. I'll be skiing (yippee!!) so I was hoping that would count as cross-training??!! Also hoping that whereas normally husband leaves me standing - he boards off whilst I have to catch my breath, this year I 'll be able to keep up with him, or even overtake!! 
  • Hello image

I'm new!! - have just entered Liverpool in March as my first ever half, in fact my first ever race (altho I have got a 10k planned in a couple of weeks!!)

Just hoping to get around really image bit scared about the fact that I have hardly run outside at all, just treadmill still!!

• Hi Pinkstars!

Like me, you've got a 10k race as a 'warm-up' and 'what the hell happens at a big race' pre HM race then!! Good going to enter a HM as your first race - have you been running for long? And are you planning on runing outside at all before the race?!!

Are you following a schedule? 

• doing my 1st half marathon in march (silverstone).

thers also a thread called  'gulp, just entered my 1st half marathon' 

a lot of pages, but worth a read ....

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/132482/

• Hi bats - another first HM in March - a very popular month for it!

I do lurk on the other thread, but they are all now entering marathons (well - not all of them!) and their first HMs are a good while ago. I thought I'd start this thread to gain / offer to some support to others going through the same training I am at the moment.

Still need to plan my 8M for Friday...

• Hi Bat lol. typing that i feel like im talking to myself lol.

i did post on the gulp thread  quite a while back, but like you say, a lot of those that were on that thread have moved on. 

will try to get a long run in sunday. have club training thursday night, and a parkrun sat morning. 

longest run i have done so far was monday (5miles). i did feel i could of carried on going though. ok im slow, but my distances are flying up. 

last pre xmas run, 3k before needing to walk. a 4 week break, (part from being away with the kids part becasue of the snow). 

first run back i did 5k no walks, and did it again the day after to prove it was no fluke. 

1 week later it was upto 5 miles with no walk. not quite sure what happened to me in that 4 week break, but its been like a kick up the ass lol. 

• 12 miles will be more than enough to get you round image
  • danowat wrote (see)
    12 miles will be more than enough to get you round image

Good!

• My first HM, the longest I got up to in training was 11-12 miles, and it was no coincedence that during the race, when I got to 11 miles, I struggled, the last couple of miles were quite painfull.

My second HM, I got up to 14 miles in training, although the last couple of miles were tough, they were no where near as painfull oras tough as the first, plus I managed to second HM 5 mins quicker than the first.

• Bats www.justgiving.com/david-huddleston wrote (see)

first run back i did 5k no walks, and did it again the day after to prove it was no fluke. 

1 week later it was upto 5 miles with no walk. not quite sure what happened to me in that 4 week break, but its been like a kick up the ass lol. 

Wow Bats - you're coming on really well. Just make sure you don't try and do too much too soon, as that's when you'll get injured (well - I would, anyway!)

Maybe your body needed that break, and was then raring to go???

• thanks B&T. i did force myself to rest yesterday, though i was itching to get out.

i think you're right about needing the break, and then add in the frustration of not being able to get out and new toys to take with me when i got out lol. (ipod touch & nike+ sensor). think i really need to dump the sensor and get a garmin though. will have to wait a couple of months while i recover from xmas lol. 

im with danowat on doing more in training than the run. in my mind thats what will work best for me. going over the distance means i know i've got it in me somewhere ather than have to find the extra mile or 2 beyond what i've done. 

• Hey, just wondered if I could pop in? I'm hoping to do a half marathon in september- hopefully the GNR but I didn't get in through the Daily Mirror ballot image otherwise a local one in August/November. Not sure I'll ever make it to that distance at this rate but I promised a close friend I'd give it a go so I've got to!
  • Welcome in MJ. Fingers crossed you get in via the main ballot. I have a charity place in it and looking forward to that one too.