Options

Fit 2 Run

Did anyone else do this free course?

Anyone any ideas about where to point my academic side next?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    I've just received my registration pack and will do the course. It's probably more designed for non-runners or those that aren't all that fit already. But so what, it's something to do.

I must admit you'd have to be some kind of dope to take 60 hours to complete the course work.

PPB.
  • Options
    I did the first part, then my attention span for stating the obvious ran out.
  • Options
    I got mine on Wednesday - nicely produced and not unlike another free course I once enrolled for at Lampeter Uni and didn't complete (although I am hoping to do this one). YMCA do lots of fitness qualifications, but they cost (you are then qualified to teach so there is a way of recovering costs) I expect if you do the www.ymca sort of search you'll get more info.
  • Options
    Just sent off my second part. A lot of it was really just regurgitating the course materials, fairly simplistic but interesting for a bit - if I hadn't read a bit already then I'd have got a fair bit out of it.
  • Options
    I took up the offer to enrol on the course after registering for the 2003 Great North Run. The course material was well produced, and yes, Fruity is right, the material is fairly basic common sense stuff. I'm not a whizz kid, but managed to complete the coursework (i.e. read the 2 pamphlets) and fill in the assessments with about 6 hours total effort. The feedback from the tutors comprised a fairly detailed critique of my answers, and was quite helpful. After passing the course I'm looking forward to an exciting new career in sports management (actually not.. but it was quite good fun, and rather interesting to do anyway)!
  • Options
    Congrats to thos who have passed. Where can I find details of this course?
  • Options
    I was hoping it was done by a university since I'm desparately trying to work out how I will get a BUSA entry this year.
    Will probably do it anyway.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I've done my first assignment, do you get the results of that before the 2nd is due in. I would like to know if I madea complete balls up of the first one, before I do the 2nd in a similar fashion.

1st assignment including the reading, took 3 hours max.
  • Options
    Don't think so Shades. I had my second deadline extended due to a late booking holiday in September, so I'm not sure.

I wouldn't have thought it possible to go too far wrong though. And anyway, if you have, they tell you and you get to put it right.

Think I'll have to have a look at the YMCA website...if there is one.

I'm still puzzled by the course though. I mean, I'm not sure what it's designed for. Are there any Runners World staff out there who could shed a little more light on it?
  • Options
    I did this course ages ago, when I first applied to run in the GTN.

I had notification that I'd passed about a month ago, just need my certificate!....

Good luck to those still studying.....
  • Options
    I've done the course over the last few months and I enjoyed it. What I got out of it was a lot of motivation to continue my running. Especially part 2 of the course makes you think about the way you train.

I would recommend it to anyone starting to run.
  • Options
    I just got my pack this week.
    I'm quite keen to get it done as I'm thinking of a major carrer change to study sports science, and this can only help...(it is quite basic though).
    Is it only levels 1 and 2 that you need to do?
  • Options
    So, what is a 'nationally-recognised Level 1 qualification'?

Thinking of doing it as a bit of light relief, it never does any harm to have an extra qualification.
  • Options
    Does anyone know why they need your NI number on the application form?
  • Options
    I have done this too and im awaiting my certificate. Congrats to all that too part or are wanting to. It is very basic but adds to my interest to running.
  • Options
    MM ✭✭✭
    I've done parts 1 and 2. Feedback was really good - just waiting on certificate. Also pre-registered at the GNR for an advanced course they are to be running starting from January 04. Have no idea what the qualification means but it's something else for the cv!
  • Options
    I'll try and answer two of those questions:

>So, what is a 'nationally-recognised Level 1 qualification'?

The government has tried to pull all qualifications together into 5 bands, so that people can compare different qualifications and get an idea for what the equivalent level is.

The basic levels for accademic qualifications are:

1 - GCSE grade D or below (old CSE)
    2 - GCSE grade C or above (old O level)
    3 - A level
    4 - Undergraduate degree
    5 - Postgraduate degree / professional qualification

but the idea of the levels are so that all the other vocational qualifications (NVQ's / BTECs / Diplomas) that the governement is so keen for us all to do can be slotted in and compared to accademic qualifications.

It's all here

http://www.qca.org.uk/nq/framework/

personally I think the framework is rubbish - my level four qualification (Honours degree) was hard work but i recently gained a level five professional qualification which was simply a lot of form filling showing how I do my job.

Susi - I'm guesing they need your NI number so someone in government can keep track of all these courses. I've got to give mine whenever I do an NVQ at work.
  • Options
    Mike B's comment prompted me to make a general comment... i think the standard of dilogue on the runners world forum is second to none. It's just a shame that multiple threads are generated due to our inability to search for a specific interest item.
    Re: Fit2run... i'm still waiting for my certificate, but can reafirm that the course is interesting, well written and fairly easy to complete. The feedback is good from the tutors... oops must go and put the kids to bed!!
  • Options
    I did it and still await my stiffycate

I liked the way the deadlines seemed to get moved back all the time

ie when I had received the acknowledgement for the second part the letter also said "a nd dont forget theres still time to hand in part one2