Am I being unrealistic?

Hi.  Am running my first half marathon in Bath on March 7th.  Started training in August.  By the end of November I could do 8 miles quite comfortably and was following the FURST plan.  So 3 runs a week a bit faster and longer than the normal 4 runs a week.  Was feeling great.  Then  the snow scuppered my plans and didn't get out for 2 weeks, then I ran for a bit and did  6 mile, 4 miles and two 3 miles and then COMPLETELY lost my motivation and didn't do anything for a week.  Got back on track this week and then got struck down with the flaming novo winter virus thing. 

My questions are these:

Should I go out for a run when I still have residual stomach cramping?

I have 5 weeks until the half marathon.  Can I still achieve the half marathon if I give my running 100% from Monday (if I back off today - can't run weekends owing to work)?

Thanks!

Comments

• I personally wouldn't run while still suffering the effects of the virus = the extra effort will only make your immune system work harder and you'll be ill longer.

You have five weeks to go, so assuming the final week is a taper week, that still leaves you four weeks. If you were up to a comfortable 8 miles three weeks ago, you won't have lost much fitness. Try making your first long, slow run a repeat 8 miles, to see how you feel. If it goes ok, build your long run up by a mile a week until the weekend before the half. That should see you up to around 11/12 miles. You'll have no problem getting round a half on that distance. Might not be the best time you could have hoped for if training etc had gone to plan, but it will still be a PB!

Good luck image

• Thanks for that.  Feel better now.  I think part of the problem was that I was putting myself under a shed load of pressure and it was stressing me out.  I'll do an easy 8 on Monday and see how I feel and take it from there. Thanks for getting back to me.

Kim

• Hi Kimbo

Sounds a bit like my experience last winter training for my first half marathon in Berlin. Sounds like you are well on course if you can run 8 miles pretty easily. I think Angelic put it perfectly but i just wanted to add my vote of confidence as I was there myself. Have fun!
  • Thanks Adam!  Just about to go and see if I can do 8 miles.... Am going to take it very very easily.  Thanks for your vote of confidence.