Options

Sub 3:30 - VLM 2010

Comments

• Options

I reckon everything in moderation is the key........ although some may argue the LSR is hardly moderation!

• Options
    Well thats 8M@9mm done in the snow...anyone else had a nice white run??
  • Options
    No snow in Kent and hoping it stays that way! Well done for still going out. Managed to get my long run done yesterday, so just a relaxing swim today for me I think.
  • Options

Bambi35

Are you following a training plan?  I am using the sub 3:30 plan on the Runnersworld site except I have to rearrange it slightly as my LSR day has to be a Friday afternoon.  How did you get on with your LSR?

CK

How did your LSR go and did you enjoy that London Pride?

• Options

Hi Gadget Man

Yes I am...kind of... it has been written for me by a running coach I know through work. However, ive not been doing a very good job of sticking to it for various reasons...but Im doing what I can! Am trying to at least make sure I do my threshold run, mid week steady run and LSR.... I know I really need to be doing some hills and some faster stuff....but this just flares up a longstanding back/hamstring issue. So at the moment, the other days I am just tending to do 5/6 milers or cross training. That said, I barely did anything last week due to cough/cold so was just pleased to get my LSR done. I felt like I was struggling from about mile 3! But I think with those runs, keeping going is so much about mental strength.... there were a number of times I considered stopping and had to talk myself round! I averaged 8.22 pace.... I have read elsewhere on here that your LSR should be 40s-1min slower than your marathon pace...is that true? Should I be slowing down? London last year was my first (and only) marathon so Im quite new to it all...although Im sure I was doing a similar pace for my LSRs last year.

Anyway enough of my rambling!

• Options

Hi folks, just thought I'd pop my head round the door and say hello. Sub 3.30 is my target for VLM, after failing to hit it Berlin last year. Had a bit of a nightmare race and finished in 3.36. A very congested start, hot and dehydrated, and blew up at 23 miles. Hmmmmm. Still, it was 20 minutes quicker than London the year before so couldn't complain too much!

I'm following a plan which I've put together to fit around my family/work life, so it's not any of the official ones. Has all the major features though, an LSR on Sunday, speed work on Wednesdays and a couple of other run which I usually do at 8.30-ish. Managing 35-40mpw at the mo and looking to push that up a bit. Enjoying it so far, and already feel stronger than my build up to Berlin, so fingers crossed that it's working!

Had a good run this morning, 18m at 8.35m/m pace, and felt much stronger than last weeks15m effort. HR came out at about 70% WHR, which is about right for a long run. First 20m LSR next week, which is when it all starts to get a bit serious! image

• Options

Bambi35

Sounds like you have a good plan.  Not sure of the exact difference in pace for LSR but think it is up to 60 secs slower like you say.  I did mine at 8:30mm 3 years ago but I'm going to do it as per the plan this time and slowing right down to 9mm.  You build up speed from the intervals and tempo runs.  Also important is the taper from about 2 weeks before race day.

Boingy

Excellent LSR.  I'm a little bit behind you from a LSR point of view.  Got 15M next week and don't do my 1st 20 miler for another 3 weeks.  Will be looking to do at least one of the 20 milers as a race (maybe not race it though) as it makes a change from the usual routes around where I live.

• Options

Hi Gadget Man,

You are absolutely right about LSR pace, I'm going a little too quick still I think! Not too worried at the moment as my HR was good, but something to keep an eye on. Planning on going round at 7.50's so maybe 8.50's is more like it.

I'm doing one of my 20m runs at Ashby in March. Was going to race it, but a runner a lot more knowedgeable and quicker than be has advised to treat it as a progressive training run, so I think that's what I'll do. Rough plan, 1st 5m easy (9m/m-ish), 2nd a bit quicker (8.30m/m-ish), and then last ten at PMP.

• Options

Evening all,

Thoroughly peeved at the moment, as my RW training programme stated 1M slow then 10k at race pace (sub 43 min), then 1 M slow... the only problem being that my Garmin 305 kept telling me to slow down almost the entire time, yet when i'd finished, the 10k bit was only run at 44.08 !!!

Has anyone else come across this problem with the RW schedule that you download onto various Garmin's??? 

• Options

Afraid I haven't tried the Garmin schedules. Did have issues with my garmin in last years marathon though due to the setting I had it on... and the issue re loss of satellite around Canary Wharf. It meant I thought I had done 3.28 when actually I had run 3.30.17!! Fortunately the 17secs didn';t annoy me as much as they could have done as my aim was only everysub 4 until the latter stages of training so I was still pleased.... and its made me more determined to have another go this year!

Hope you find out what the issue is....and you still did a good run.

• Options

Oompa

It might be the accuracy of GPS (and satellites) that is causing the problem.  I have both a 305 and polar (footpod) watch and the 305 current speed/pace is always all over the place as compared with the polar watch.  Bit f a long shot but........ and as Bambi35 says .....still a good effort.

• Options
    Hi Gadget

Did the LSR today as too many London Prides on Friday. Did 15M in 02:06. Cold but beautiful morning so quite enjoyable. Was obsessing about hydration/energy last night so wore a back pack with 2L of water and a bottle of LucoZade sport. Typical, didn;t touch either of them but now have friction burns on shoulders and chest from the straps. Got back and went to pub to watch the game, had to drink more Pride to console myself.

Going to attempt 5mile recovery run tomorrow.

Good evening to you all.

CK
  • Options

Bambi & Gadget,

Thanks for the words of encouragement... on reflection the run was on a trail that is fairly heavily wooded even in Winter, so that may have had a bearing on it?

Just gonna enjoy my rest day today and sample some vino rosso !!

• Options

That could be the reason Oompa - I often do my long run in a wooded area and find my 305 somtimes loses the satellite briefly. Enjoy your well earnt vino rosso!

I sat in the office today talking myself in and out of runnning tonight and in the end thought that lot on the forum are putting the hard work in so just get out there!! Managed an 8 miler, 2 easy, 5 tempo (ish!), 2 easy... my tempo runs aren't as fast as some of yours, I need to push myself more!  

• Options

Hi All,

sounds like training is going well for everyone. The coach at my running club has said that for someone in my position (aiming for 3:30 on relatively low mileage - 35 mpw) that the Long Run is absolute key, furthermore he has said (contrary to pretty much everything I have read on the subject) that I should be going for close to MP so more like 8:20 than 8:40 - I did 16 miles on Sun at this pace reasonably comfortably. Does anyone have strong views on this either way? I can certainly see some wisdom in his reasoning as he said you should be looking to get to half  way on the day very easily.

On that note, he also suggested doing a longish midweek run at MP - 15s so going to try 10 miles tonight  (although suffering a bit of man flu so not certain I am going to make this). I can see this being a pretty good training run, again would be interested to hear other thoughts?

Happy Running to all!

Dave.

• Options

Hi Dave

I did my long runs at 8.20 pace last year (a bit faster as the marathon got nearer) and I think I will stick to doing the same again this year. I found that 15 miles flew past  on the day (8 minute miles with the crowds and people to run with felt so much easier than the training runs) and it was only really at about 23 that I really started to feel a little weary! Contrary to alot of plans I also went up to 24 miles and was glad I did.... but I know people have very different views on this.

I also do a steady mid week run...currently at 11 and I won't go beyond 12.

Hope you shake off the man flu and have a good run tonight!

• Options

Hi folks

Just thought i'd join the party (if you'll have me!). Been keeping in touch with the supersixer threads from sub-4 to sub-3 but mainly using sub-4 as my base and the others for advice. Being my first mara i'm keeping my expectations modest, although training is going well so far. I'd be happy with sub-4 tbh but secretly think 3:30 is possible. I ran 43:02 at Telford for 10k a couple of weeks back and my HM PB thus far is 1:41at Bedford although i've only been running seriously since May last year. Think I can reduce these quite a bit and having just joined a running club, training with the faster runners I think will help too. Currently up to 16.5M in training (last weekend) and will up that to 18ish this weekend given i'm running Bramley 20 on 14th Feb. Club night tonight.

Hope all's well.

Cheers

• Options

Welcome lamkjo! Nice 10k time. This will be my first marathon also and my expectations are similar to yours.

Bambi, thanks for your input - really useful.

• Options

Afternoon All,

After a well earned day off yesterday, i'm itching to get out this evening !

Looking at the post's everyone seems to be doing more miles than i am at present (16, 18, 20 miles mentioned) on my LSR's?

On the RW schedule this coming Sunday's LSR is still only 15 miles???

Oh dear, still 12 weeks to go before VLM and the anxiety attacks are already kickin' in !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

Oompa... i'm only slightly on from 15M as I have the Bramley 20, otherwise would be sticking to schedule (or roughly). Beside's... i'm actually a little further behind than I would want as I didn't get the LSRs in over Xmas, New Year due to the weather.

bambi35... interesting what you say about 24 miles, more people would suggest not doing it than doing it! However it's at the back of my mind to get a longer long run in (i'm taking it a week at a time and am seeing how the body feels) for the self-confidence.

• Options

Hi All

CK - I usually run with a 2L Camelbak but will be giving gels a go this time and relying on the water provided on the day.  Still going to use it for my LSRs though but not for energy drink just water.

Oompa - Probably right about the trees.  Don't worry about your LSRs...I'm on the same schedule as you, which I also did 3 years ago.  Its a good one, you just need to be patient.

DB9 & Bambi35 - I have been told that long runs should be done at a slower pace then you intend on the day so as to reduce the chances of injury during training.  However, if you are limiting your training to 35mpw then maybe as your coach says it would be best to do it at a faster than usual pace.  I am sticking to the schedule this year and doing them at 9mm.

lamkjo - Welcome to the forum.  Your times look good and you should be easily capable of sub 3:30 with the correct training.

Did 6 yasso's at 3:30 yesterday and an easy 5 miles today.

• Options
    Hi Oompa, I'm on the RW schedule but obviously started a week earlier as i did my 15M on the weekend just gone. It's quite a tough schedule and I'm only managing to do 5 of the 6 sessions, normally drop the 4 or 5 mile easy run.

Did hills at lunchtime today! Was worried that the hill I'd chosen would take significantly less than 2 mins to run up (10 x 2min up hill with jog down in between), turns out I was only managing a 3rd of it in the 2min allocation. Possibly too steep? Anyway, found it relatively hard but thought not as hard as an interval session. Well wrong again, felt like I was suffering from exhaustion on the way back and now at my desk struggling to keep my eyes open. First time I've ever done a structured hill session, is this normal.....zzzzzzzzzz?

CK

• Options

CK - Excellent you can tell us what we're in for in the week ahead.image Great job with the hill session!

I am also following the schedule with long run this weekend 15m @ 9:00 so a week behind. I can see some of you are completing long runs at a much faster pace, should I up the pace if comfortable??

In later weeks 14-15 when tapering the mileage decrease but speed increases I don't really want to tempt injury image

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Aha - only just found this thread. Mind if I join you?

I'd been hoping to latch onto one of the main super-6 threads, but none seems to fit image. I've been a regular RW schedule user for a while, and usually start on one that's too fast and drop back when it all starts going pearshaped! Hanging on in there with sub-3.30 at the moment thoughimage.

Missed today's fartlek for several not totally convincing reasons. I'd been doing fairly well at sticking to the schedule whilst the RWUK vs RWUSA challenge was going on, but that extra motivator was obviously what I needed! Still, this week was a 5-run week, and there are five days left........

So it's the first of the dreaded hills next week, is it? The only session worse than the 14 x hill is the n x 1.5M intervals, I reckon. Still, it's only 10 hills to start with image.

My long runs are around 9mm pace, and I'm still in agony by the end.

• Options

Hi Joddly - welcome

Just about to start my 5m fartlek session (theres still time image)

Why are you agony at the end of your lomg runs??

• Options
    Hi Joddly

I swapped last weeks Fartlek for an interval session as it was cold, wet and dark by the time I got round to running. Also, I find less discipline is required on a treadmill/interval session than a 5 mile fartlek. I did 3 x 2M sessions which was the hardest interval session I've done to date. Admittedly it came after 3 hard runs and one rest day but I still think it will be hard when I retry it next week. Off to the US with work next week to at least 3 of the 5 runs will have to be treadmill based image

Hi GM

Am also trying SISgels at the moment as i find the bottled Lucozade sport too sweet and unpalatable and struggled to frink it during last years FLM, had to use water to dilute it. The blackcurrent SIS gel is much easier to consume and water not required.

Regards, CK
  • Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Jayos - hope the fartlek was fun. Re agony - wish I knew !

CK - 3 x 2M sounds hideous, treadmill or not - give me fartlek any day image (as it were......)

• Options
    Good to see the group is growing! Hope everyones sessions went well this evening. Just a 6 mile club run for me but having not been for a while there was lot of catching up to be done......I know Im female so should be able to multi task but  I find talking and running quite hard work.!
  • Options

Hi all,

really good run home from work last night for the first time - nice flat route, just short of 10 miles which I did in about 7:45 pace (MP-15s) as suggested by coach at club. Will defintiely incorporate this into my weekly schedule.

What pace are folk doing the 2M intervals at? How much recovery?

• Options
    Hi David

I was trying to do 7MM with a 500M recovery jog in between. image

Regards, CK