Options

Sub 3:30 - VLM 2010

Comments

• Options
    I guess the combined efforts is much the same as a 43min 10K which seems to be one of the benchmarks for 3:30 marathon. Incidentally, I am going for that on Sun morning on the Longleat 10k...
  • Options

Glad to know you had a good run last night David... I had a shocker!.

Just joined a running club and in a bid to get faster, training with the faster group - basically sub-3 runners. Because early days and just getting used to the routine at the club, didn't have a schedule and believed last night wasn't a speed session - it was! So out doing pyramid reps (2 mile warm up/down each way then 4*400m, 2*800,1*1M,2*800,4*400m) after a Fartlek on monday. Struggled big time... firstly the warm up was at about 7:15-7:45 - can handle it but with a speed session to do would personally warm up a bit slower, then with the reps... way behind the others - no probs with that but the recoveries were shorter than i'm used to and shorter still because I was always behind, 1 min between 400s, 2min between 800s, not sure what we did for the mile - too knackered and far behind, just went when I was told. Perhaps these recovery gaps are what you guys do and i've just not been disciplined enough?... anyhow, hopefully it will all be good in the long run. Will rest today or go out for a very easy few miles just to get some miles in my legs.

CK - sounds about what i'd go for on a 2M.

• Options
    Hi All

Some scary sessions going on here. Can't see a 2M interval session in the schedule I'm doing. The nearest is

1M jog, then 4 x 1.5M (or 9-11 mins) fast, with 400m (or 3-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog

Don't like pyramid sessions and would dislike them even more with a 2M warm up/down at 7:15-7:45 pace. Well done lamkjo for that effort.
  • Options
    Hi Gadget

It was suggested by a personal trainer at the gym. In retrospect it was a mistake as didn't complete it and dented my confidence a little. Will revert back to the intervals recommended in RW schedule which looks the same as yours.

Did 9 miles tonight in 77 minutes. Achilles and calf mussels felt a little tight, probably from the hill session yesterday. Now relaxing and 3/4 of the way through a bottle of London Pride. Magnificent!

Regards, CK
  • Options

Morning all,

Did my slow 8 miles last night on the "dreadmill" as i wimped out because it was raining and i'm sick of getting wet!

Not sure what's worse... getting wet or getting bored out of my mind on the 'mill???

Also am i the only one who struggles to understand Fartlek?????

Never quite know how fast to go, how long to go at that speed, how slow when you slow back down etc... etc... Maybe i just prefer to be to told exactly what to do... hmm sounds just like being at home!

• Options

Morning...

12 hour days at work for me this week so training is going downhill ... although I too have a bit of a sore achilles so perhaps having to take it a bit easier isn't such a bad thing!

Oompa - re Fartlek... know what you mean... if I ever do them I have to have a plan before I set out of how much I am going to do, at what pace, when.... else it just doesn't work for me.

CK - are you sponsored by London Pride?!

• Options

Hi Oompa,

Fartlek is a dark science although recently have done a couple of Fartlek sessions with my club and they work v well!. Basically, there is a pre-establshed circular 6/7 mile route we use with three intervals: first of 0.8 miles, second of 0.4 miles and last of 0.7 miles with about 0.4 miles in between and a couple of miles either side as warm up, cool down. We all stop at the begininning and end of each interval to allow everyone to complete at their own pace. So basically, exactly as Bambi says, it is all pre-planned.

Cheers,
    Dave.

• Options
    Hi All

My understanding of fartlek is find an object in the distance and just run to it at at a suitably fast pace, do a recovery jog until you feel recovered then repeat the whole process.

Off to the gym at work now to do an easy 5M before tomorrows LSR of 15M. Having a few niggles with my left glute/quad at the moment so hoping it holds out.
  • Options

Glad to see that seemingly i'm not the only one that doesn't "get" Fartlek... it's planned/it's not planned !!!

CK:- Interested to know what your London Pride/Mileage ratio is?????

• Options
    Well convinced myself that one per day is better than 6 or 7 on a Friday image

Sponsored by LP? No, just whatever is on offer at the Supermarket, got some Speckled Hen for tonight.

Right off to do 1M jog 4M (30M) and 1M jog. Going to do it on treadmill, view is much prettier at this time of day image

Regards, CK
  • Options

Ha! Don't let that view distract you too much....focus on the pace!

• Options
    Well a lot harder than I expected but then every session seems hard at the moment, even the apparent 'easy ones'

Not helped by the fact that I had the speed way to high on the first fast mile, when I finally got it right is was tolerable. No pretty view either image

Regards, CK
  • Options

Hi All

CK - Hate it when that happens - the view that is...

Hope the training is going well.  Just back from my LSR.  Not sure of the exact distance as my polar said 15.13 and my garmin said 15.6.  I'm inclined to believe the garmin as the polar has not been calibrated for a while...and the garmin reading was the larger of the two image.  Did it in 2:18 which is around 9mm so pleased.  Average HR of 71% max.  Left glute/quad still not right but felt better than last LSR 2 weeks ago.  Rest day tomorrow so can now look forward to some wine tonight...question is Red or White???

• Options
    Very jealous that you have done your LSR Gadget Man - well done. I reckon your garmin must be right! 18 for me tomorrow... and about to have my preparatory glass of white!
  • Options

Did 5 M (easy) this morning and it was anything but !

The Marathon pixie was obviously feeling mischievious last night and inserted lead weights where my quads once were... can't run for toffee at the moment !!

Doesn't bode well for the 15 M LSR tomorrow.

Maybe i'll try CK's training tip... London Pride or Old Speckled Hen !

• Options
    Ah can now gloat as have done my LSR and can watch the rugby in the pub with a few beers with a clear conscience, if not a clear head image

19 Miles in 2hr 37, glorious weather helped.

Everyone enjoy their LSR tomorrow image

Regards, CK
  • Options

Its strange how one day you can feel like you could run forever and another you know about every step.  Just put it down to one of those days Oompa..... tomorrow is a whole new day! (but let me know if London Pride does the trick!)

My 18 felt ok this morning... although it was probably a lesson in how not to do it in terms of pace (too fast, but it was flat), hydration (didnt take any water), and nutrition (took a gel with me but couldnt face it!). Although I did have porridge with a banana and sultanas before I set out! I don't actually look at the time once when I do my long runs.... I just go with how I feel, if I feel ok I push on a bit... if im struggling I ease off.

• Options

CK & Bambi... nice running fella's.

Am going out FULL LOADED tomorrow... gels, drinks, AK47 etc... etc...

I WILL GET THE 15 DONE !!!!!

• Options

Evening guys & gals,    nice to see some more names posting on this thread i've been manic busy the last week so have been fitting in some training but no posting time.

Managed to get 17.5 mile runs in last Sunday & this morning, same course just did it each way round and approx similar time of 2h30m for each.  Legs are feeling it a bit tonight so off for an early night as have about 5 hour easy bike ride planned tomorrow.

Upto 6 x yassos this week as well which was tough but completed along with a 6m tempo run and a couple of swim sessions, so not a bad week really.

All of you who've got LSR on Sunday have fun.

• Options

Afternoon all,

I feel the same with Fartleks, they have to be planned out so I know what to aim for and when.

Just got back from LSR suppose to be 15 Miles a friend joined me on his bike for moral support (much better than an ipod and someone to pass me a gel or water when required) made it much easier. Only trouble was that I took a wrong turn and ended up doing 17 Miles. Oh well.... felt good all the same and managed 9:00 m/m so well pleased.

Gels really helped today (Hi5 - Orange) they taste ok as well.

All this talk about London Pride and Old Speckled Hen means I am gonna have to get down the local for a well deserved pint of Old Rodney later.

• Options

Hi All

Just back from an easy 8 miler in 71 mins...didn't feel that easy but at least its done and never really had much of a problem with glute/quad so things are looking up.  Talking of up, got 1st of hill sessions next week...can't wait.  45 miles for me this week which is the most I've done in a long time.

Hope you all have good LSRs today.  How did yours go Oompa...Did you manage to shoot anyone?

• Options

Hi Gadget,

Busted a "couple o' caps" at an idiot tipper driver who thought it funny to use me as target practice!!!

15 miles went well @ 8.38 mi/ml.

Finally getting the hang of taking gels (High 5 banana) without either

a) throwing up

b) spilling it down my legs !!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to hill intervals on Tuesday... NOT !

• Options
    Has had anyone had any achilles problems and got any tips on the best thing to do? Mine has been sore for a week, but is now worse following my LSR. It is a little inflamed. I rested and took ibuprofen yesterday. Not sure whether to rest / swim today... or give it another go. The pain seems to ease as I walk more on it.
  • Options

Sorry Bambi, achilles is one of the few things that doesn't hurt !

How did you do it?

If it's inflamed, personally i would rest it, rather than possibly making it worse. 

• Options
    MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    just thought i'd day hi, I am also aiming for a sub 3.30, possibly faster if possible but maybe slower if it goes pear shaped, this will be my first full marathon. Training seems to be going OK but I am beginning to realise how much it changes your life, or will do for the next 2 months. You can right off at least half a day for the long slow run.
  • Options

Hi Bambi

I get sore achilles quite frequently, put it down to over training or ramping the miles up too quickly. Normally the first few steps in the morning are when it's at its worst.

I did read that before getting up, it' recommended that before you get up, starting with legs flat and toes pointing upwards, try bringing your toes towards you, which should stretch the achilles? I try and do this first thing and then gentle stretches throughout the day and have seen a significant improvement.

Well had a sleepless night stuck in a bland hotel in Detroit but nice 24 hr gym so did 5 miles on the treamill at 4am local time. Peveresely, really enjoyed it. Was reading RW on the plane yesterday and the article on Ultra runners and I made a commitment to really focus on my running. Although as my ex said, it'll never last image

CK

• Options
    Bambi35 wrote (see)
    Has had anyone had any achilles problems and got any tips on the best thing to do? Mine has been sore for a week, but is now worse following my LSR. It is a little inflamed. I rested and took ibuprofen yesterday. Not sure whether to rest / swim today... or give it another go. The pain seems to ease as I walk more on it.

Ice the area after every run.

A couple of weeks ago I had tenderness, when stretching I stood on the bottom stair and let my heels hang low for a minute.

A physio or a massage may also help.

• Options

Hi all, just popping into this thread as i'm in the middle of training for a sub 3:30 on 25/04/10! My wife thinks i'm aiming for sub 3:45 though! Under-promise, over deliver!

I'm currently following Hal Higdon's intermediate 1 marathon program and i'm loving it! It requires 5 days running a week which is more than i'm used to but the gradual build up of miles is gong well. Touchwood i'm still injury free! Over the weekend I did 7 miles on Saturday at marathon pace which I got pretty much bang on with an average pace of 8:02/mile. Sunday was a 14 miler which I had to work really hard at to keep the pace down! I managed it though and finished the 14 miles feeling like I could have done a couple more with an average pace of 8:32/mile.

Bambi, rest and ice is probably a good idea for your achilles. The pain and inflamation may have been caused by increasing pace and/or distance by too much in a short space of time. It will feel better the more you walk on it. Tendons and ligaments are soft tissue that warm up through use.

I had some problems with shin splints and knee pain when training for the Edinburgh marathon in 2008 and my physio gave me some good stretches to do, which helped a lot. He told me that when stretching your calfs and achilles it's better to do it whilst they are bearing weight. I used to do that stretch where you look like you're trying to push a wall over!! but a better one is to 'hang' off a step. You place the balls of your feet on the edge of a step and lower your heel below that level. With staraight legs you should feel the stretch in your calf and if you bend your knees and do it you should feel the stretch lower down your calf and into your achilles.I tend to do them single legged as well.

• Options

Thank CK, Jayos and Leslie for your advice, I shall put your thoughts into action... will also settle for a swim today....probably no bad thing as its snowing outside. 

Oompa... fingers crossed you won't, but if you ever have achilles problems I have a few tips for you now!

CK.....never, say never! If you are running at 4am you were clearly made to run!!

• Options

Hi All,

I took part in a hilly 10k on Sunday and delighted to see the training paying off as I comfortably beat my previous PB and finished in 41:45 - painful (obviously) but have ran more painful races.

Will do a long run this weekend of 17 miles and then doing a half the following weekend. Really enjoy training and have never felt better.

Going to nip out at lunchime and try 4 (rather that 3) sets of Yasso 800's in 3mins...

Great to see a few more people on this thread!