Sports Massage

Hi,

I would be very interested to hear from anyone on here who is currently practicing sports massage or has in the past, or a related area (i,e swedish body massage). For a while now this has been an interest of mine, I always wanted to do a course one day, but work and life got in the way.

With things quietening down next year, I'm thinking of starting a course at my local college in September. An advert at my leisure centre & an opening at my athletics club have spurred me on.

I have a couple of questions - I will follow this up with a course tutor / online research too, but also wanted to get peoples view on here:

Is it a very competitive field - i.e hard to get a job in the field? Once I have completed a sports massage course (it's a diploma) will I need any other qualifications or professional registration to get started?

Does a background in injuries / physiology help in pursueing this as a career / hobby? (am 1/2way through completing a Diploma in human physiology & anatomy).

At present I'm looking at this as a 2nd career / hobby - with potential to expand and set up practice when / if I get established and if time / other commitment allows - have no idea what the future will bring!

Thanks for reading this - any views v welcome.

Comments

• Hi..

I would definately recommend a course with www.activehealthgroup.org.uk.  I used to be a lecturer there and was a previous student of them a few yrs before... They have various courses and all are leading in the uk..

Since i quallifed at Level 5 with them i built up a very successful private business and also ended up being the official Therapist for the Manchester Phoenix Ice Hockey team along with affiliations in other professional sporting arenas, so it is easy to get into it if you work at it!

Activehealth have contacts with so many people who can kick start you too!  Once you qualify you will need to be insured and there are many compaines.. I always used IPTI as they do a discount if you have trained with activehealth. (like i said, many contacts!).

All the lecturers there are fantastic and its all hands on learning.. I only left as i have now emigrated.

If you are serious about doing a course in this, i would definately say Activehealthgroup licks most other courses in the uk..

Good Luck

• Thanks Stuart - this is excellent, just what I was looking for. I'll take some time to read the website & will definitely consider doing one of their courses.

As a longer term goal  -setting up my own practice is something I've thought about - so your advice on insurance etc is gratefully received. At the moment I'm happy(ish) in my job in healthcare, but we are all on fixed term contracts which end in 2012, so by then I'd be looking to move on, so this opportunity would be ideal.

Hope you're enjoying life in the new country - where did you emmigrate to?

Thanks again.

• Hey!

Its no problem.. I loved working for them, fantastic company! I emigrated to the lovely Doha, Qatar! Nice hot weather... just no fells here which I'm missing mega!

Anyway, good luck and keep me posted on how your gettin on.. I can give you loads of advice on setting up a clinic.. Gettin your name about etc! but having a qual from Active is pretty well known anyway and highly regarded!

Regards
    Stu
  • Hi everyone

I'm also considering making a career change and retraining to do sports massage. It looks like two schools that are relatively near me both offer the same Level 5 BTEC Professional Diploma in Sports & Remedial Massage.

Both look like good schools with similar programmes, does anyone have experience with or would recommend one over the other? One is the London School of Sports Massage - Southampton branch, and the other is Pulse Training Solutions, at Oxford University Sports Complex. 

The Southampton school starts in March and the Oxford school in May so I need to make a decision relatively quickly. In both cases you need to take an introductory weekend course which I hope will help me to make a final decision as to whether to go for it or not!

Any advice gratefully received,

Minniemonster

• hello all

I'd like to join the band wagon as such as i am also thinking about taking up sports massage as a possible career change! I also looked at the london school of sports massage it looks very good.

I've been researching my local area and have Team Bath relatively close so am looking at their courses at the moment.
    I was looking for all the same answers as above so i guess i'll just sit and wait!

Sarah image
  • Hi All,

good subject. I'm due to take my ITEC Level 3 Sports Massage exams on 13th March. Its a year since I completed the course but an illness prevented me from taking the exams. Its practical, theory and case study based. I completed the holistic massage course and passed the exam in 2008, but this was just a stepping stone to sports and a requirement if you want to progress with ITEC. I am very lucky, I have a cracking Tutor and its held at St Mary's College in Twickenham, who I'd highly recommend!

Good luck in your studies. I know that to either build up a good client base or get work is tough from my friends who are already qualified, possibly due to competition but the credit crunch has hit everyone hard!

Nicky 

• I know Stu as he taught part of my course. I'm currently studying with Active and I am married to Gary who also lecteurs there at the moment.

I have learnt so much already and have managed to build up a good client base, but it's been a little easier as I work in the fitness industry and have their trust already.

Good luck

Jane

• Hi

Just to say look caerfully at the courses .the level 3 qualification isn't fully recognised by the sports massage association.....it doesn't usually cover injuries and the process of recovery.........the skill level will be dependant on the tutor and some of them teach something not much more than a general rub more like body massage.............

The level 4 is much harder and more expensive but you will come out with much more knowledge......

To be honest the level of work out there will depend on your area................If you are looking  for a job to support you full time you will have to be very lucky and proactive................

out of the people who did the course when I was at university i don't think any have obtained a full time job or enough to give up the day job.................

If you work in the fitness area like a personal trainer then it is easier to get more clients as people already trust and know you.

good luck

• Yes I agree it does help if you're a personal trainer or a fitness coach - lots of my work comes from the people that I already know.

My course is level 5 so you have to know your field or be prepared to work hard. You also have to be fairly flexible to work some awkward hours to start with. 

Have to say I love my work but I'm really enjoying the sports therapy and in the early stages I thought I would only want to do the massage, but not now I work on trigger points, joint mobs, m.e.t.s etc and am still learning.

I have 5 very sporty children and they queue up for treatments/massage etc - even the cats get treatments.

• > @"Lifes Too Short" said:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would be very interested to hear from anyone on here who is currently practicing sports massage or has in the past, or a related area (i,e swedish body massage). For a while now this has been an interest of mine, I always wanted to do a course one day, but work and life got in the way.
    >
    > With things quietening down next year, I'm thinking of starting a course at my local college in September. An advert at my leisure centre & an opening at my athletics club have spurred me on.
    >
    > I have a couple of questions - I will follow this up with a course tutor / online research too, but also wanted to get peoples view on here:
    >
    > Is it a very competitive field - i.e hard to get a job in the field? Once I have completed a sports massage course (it's a diploma) will I need any other qualifications or professional registration to get started?
    >
    > Does a background in injuries / physiology help in pursueing this as a career / hobby? (am 1/2way through completing a Diploma in human physiology & anatomy).
    >
    >  At present I'm looking at this as a 2nd career / hobby - with potential to expand and set up practice when / if I get established and if time / other commitment allows - have no idea what the future will bring!
    >
    >  Thanks for reading this - any views v welcome.

Massage is my job, but according to my experience it's a quite competitive field. I live and practice in Italy and there are a lot of masseurs here, since the law is not very strict. To find a PROFESSIONAL masseur on the contrary is very rare, so the best thing to do is looking for real competences and search for a professional school. I have been lucky enough to study at scuola di massaggio ArteCorpo www.artecorpo.it, which I found very good and gave me a good background in physiology and anatomy. I don't know where are you writing from, but my suggestion is to visit a school, talk with teachers etc. before start entering in this wonderful world.