Sub 3:30 - VLM 2010

Comments

• oompa / david

don't worry about the extra 8 miles at this stage,  you're still 9+ weeks away from VLM so that's what the next 9 weeks will help bring about.  The worst thing is to start panicking about it now and upping mileage drastically,  it'll do you more harm than good.

Well done to CK & GM on longer runs,  if you fancy going for it on Sunday in race situation then go for it CK,  just give yourself a bit of recovery time for a few days afterwards before doing anything too strenuous. 
    I raced 10k on Sunday which went well,  was aiming for sub 42.5mins,  finished in 41.17,  although I had a watch on paid more heed to my HRM and just worked at keeping it at a constant high level as a really good workout.   Had a killer massage yesterday afternoon which loosened up a lot of tight areas building up over the past 6 weeks training and the plan for this week is gentle bike today, swim and easy run tomorrow,  first hard session will either be Weds or Fri depending upon how I feel by Weds.

Back onto LSR schedule at the weekend,  Sunday will be 18+ miles with a long slow bike on Saturday.

Happy training this week all

• Jaffa

Congratulations on that 10K time, very impressive. What was you pb prior to that? Do you think the sub 3:30 schedule is already paying dividends?

Regards, CK
  • Great 10k time Jaffa...well done!
  • Jaffa, great time, well done. I think all of us aiming for 3:30 are close to hitting the magic 40min 10k marker, certainly 41mins although that extra minute will be VERY tough to eat into. On that note, anyone done a sub 40 or sub 41?

CK. I will definitely look out for you and given that I am going for 1:36 should see you at the finish also, I will be wearing bright yellow West 4 Harriers vest.

Running home from work tonight, just short of 10miles which I plan to do at a reasonably comfortable 7:30  - 7:40...

• As already mentioned, nice 10k time Jaffa, and thanks for the words of encouragement re mileage... i must stop beating myself up!

Are any of you doing the Tunbridge Wells HM on 28th Feb?

if so, would be good to put faces to names etc...

• I think (hope!) I must prefer longer distances as my 10k pb is only 43 something and I reckon I would struggle to go sub 42! 

Oompa... its's not part of my plan but I have a few friends doing the Tunbridge Wells half so will be there watching! 

• Hi All

Jaffa - Nice 10K time, well done.

Missed a session yesterday as wanted to let blister settle.  Did hills today though and found it a lot easier than last week after a days rest and NO wine image.  As usual did it on the treadmill, 12 x 2 min sessions @6.4mph/10% gradient with 1 min recovery.

Planning to do a 5 mile race (followed by another easy 5-10 miles to build up those miles) in Preston on 28 Feb.  Also doing the Liverpool HM on 28 March and will be hoping for a sub 1:37 as per the schedule.  Might also do the Trimpell 20 as a LSR on the 14 March.  If there is anyone doing these races it would be nice to meet up and say hi before the start.

• Well done to anyone who did the hill sessions today out there in that truley orrible weather!!

It was horrible out there, but 12x2mins flew by image

Nice 10k Jaffa you must be well pleased. Looking forward to the 20 miler this week then off for a week skiing in the alps.

Will the week off make a lot of difference? I think it's more speed work than anything else and skiing isn't  exactly a relaxing holiday.

• ah thanks guys.   Not quite a pb but within a minute of it which was set a fair few years ago.  never quite cracked that magic sub 40 barrier so still have that as a to do on the running list!

jayos,  skiing must do you good,  it's just an extended cross training session at altitude,  it's got to help your fitness,  strengthen your leg & core muscles and save your legs from taking a pounding from not running for a week,  have fun I'm suitably envious!

Would love to do TW 1/2 marathon as it's reasonably close but Mrs Jaffa is away that weekend so need to look after the little uns.

• Ran home last night (interestingly the route I chose was bang on 10miles) in the rain last night - was drenched when I got in. Was a nice, steady run at a tad over 7:30 min miles.

Just occured to me that I am not following any training scedule in particular and instead are concentrating on:

35+ miles per week

Long Run

Steady Runs (7:30 - 7:50)

Tempo/Threshold Run (6:40 - 7:00)

Intervals

Notice the lack of hillwork! Hope I do not live to regret this. Any comments greatly welcomed...

• Hi folks

Just checking back into the thread again and catching up on all the news - been away for a couple of days or three.

Seems like we're all running to a similar level or have the aspirations to at least so good to compare notes.

My running's been feeling a little inconsistent lately. Been running with faster runners having joined a running club in the past three weeks. Last Thursday, 12*400ms, 1min recov - happy, all reps between 81s and 89s, then on Sunday ran the Bramley 20, first time up to 20miles and whilst I didn't race it (walked through the water stations for a start as easier to take the water on and v difficult otherwise to take the Lucozade gels) it felt quite tiring for a 2:49. Yesterday I ran with the club for their 'easy' run - they got overexcited and it wasn't easy but was happy in that I managed to churn out 6 miles at 7-7:15mm pace (falling off the group at that) whilst still a little tired from the weekend. Had a slight niggle last week (knee) but seems to have gone now.

Bit late... but great 10k Jaffa and good luck with Wokingham CK.

I'm going for good pre VLM race times at Fradley 10k and Reading HM and will concentrate on nailing the 20m runs otherwise.

Cheers folks.   

• DB9 - Dont worry about the hill sessions too much, VLM route is fairly flat.  Ref your other sessions, just make sure you do either a recovery run or rest between them...ie don't do two together.  That said, I've just done hills followed by a steady run!!!  Wish I could follow my own advice image

• I play 5 a side football for a "rest" on Wednesday's image

• Suffered a bit of chaffing on tonights 10 miler. Can anyone suggest comfy undies? I'm sure it's down to personal prefference but if there are any available that come highly recommended they have got to be worth a try.
  • I usually wear mid thigh length lycra running shorts for any distance running,  in terms of undies can't argue with Falke in my experience,  either undies or trunks,  not cheap but really comfy imo.
  • Well, probably best I stay out of the underwear discussion but hope you come up with a suitable solution Jayos!  I managed 11 tonight and then had to play a netball match but my input was minimal!
  • Jayos, i quite often wear Mrs Oompa's comfy undies but the less said about this the better !!!!!!!!image

In all seriousness, i am really suffering with chaffing at the moment and have been told by the wife that i now resemble John Wayne whilst walking???

Have tried tights, various shorts and various (apologies Bambi), to no avail.

To this end i am NOT looking forward to Sunday's 20 M !

• Vaseline usually does it for me.

I've got a blister about an inch in diameter on the side of my left foot between arch and heal.  Can't get rid of it at the moment.  Compeed blister plasters helping but going to see how it looks tomorrow (my LSR day) and maybe also cover the plaster with duct tape as well (clutching at straws here) to see if that helps keep it from worsening.

• Sounds nasty gadget man...... some extra tape should help...as long as it stays in place and doesn't just become something else that rubs. I said at work today I think I will be able to go on that 'embarrassing bodies' programme on TV with my feet soon! In particular, my little toe is not looking healthy....combination of a black toenail, although there is not much of a nail, and the remains of a blood blister....  hope no-one is eating their dinner!

Chaffing, black nails, blisters, injury niggles... someone remind me again why we do it! Endorphins must be powerful things!

20 in store for me this weekend and think I am going to take it slowly.

• Oompa

You and me both. The chafing that resulted from Sundays LSR has prevented me running since and walking has been quite painful too.I tentatively tried a run on Tuesday but gave up after 10 seconds as it was that painful Also came down with a stomach bug or food poisoning which literally kept me up all night and has just drained me of every ounce of energy. At the moment a 1hr 37m HM on Sunday seems like a pipe dream

Regards, CK
  • CK,

Have (hopefully) solved the chafing issue... i think it's called Bodyglide?

Bought it from my local "Up & Running" and it wasn't cheap (£10.00), but did a fairly quick 7 M last night with my running club (7.20 mi/m) and had no discomfort at all, so fingers crossed for Sunday.

Can't help with the food poisoning though... must be all those Detroit burgers kicking in !!!

Get well soon. 

• Hi all, a bit late to the party here but I'm hoping for something under 3.30 in this years VLM.

Ran it last year and did 3.40 which I was fairly happy with considering the training I had done, putting much more effort in this yeare so hoping to break 3.30.

Training has gone ok so far, hoping to run 20 miles this Sunday so that should be the real test.

How's everyone else doing then?

• Had a bit of a blast last night. The plan said 4 miles and I decided that I was going to push the pace as much as I could. I ran the same out and back course as I did on Tuesday and again I was going to try for a negative split. The difference being that this time I was going to push the pace on the outward leg as well.

I covered the 4 miles in 28:03 which I was happy with and also managed a negative split, covering the first two miles in 14:32 and the second two miles in 13:31. Rest day today before 7 miles at marathon pace on Saturday followed by 11 on Sunday (its a step-back week this week!)

• Nice one Leslie Stoddart

Hi Dangerous Dan

Hope you sort yourself out for Sunday Creaking Knees

No running for me today...giving my blister a bit of time to heal.  Decided to do the 20 mile LSR on a bike instead.  Was nice but a bit cold and glad I missed the rain just after I got back.  Will rest again tomorrow and maybe do the same 20 miles running on Sunday all being well.  Hope everyone has a good LSR run this weekend.  Having good sessions with the wine at the moment image

• Hi OOmpa

Will look to gets some of that but probably wont get chance today. Assume it's more of a preventative rather than cure? Mine was/is so bad that it's completely raw, however, I think I may have found a solution. Tried it with a plaster covering it yesterday which seemed to help but started coming loose after a mile or so which started rubbing against the other leg image Anyway, whilst changing, came across my last compeed blister plaster so gave that a whirl. Instantly felt better and just did a 5 miler on it problem free image Such a beautiful morning too.

Thanks GM, Dave, see you on the start line.

Regards, CK
  • Would like to  the 1st Virgin London marathon in under 4hrs? As first attempt  last year managed 4:11:47 a pb image. So trust I can join the RW 8-9min pacer group? 

19/20miles tomorrow. Did a fast 14 last Sunday. Then another 6/7miles on the Club night Tues & Thur. At 7:05 - 7:20/mi

Blew up on training "jog" Friday. Ankle felt tender after Thursdays run? But had to try? Suppose it should have been R.I.C.E. instead of training.

Will

• Hi Dan and Will... Will I would tare care on your 20 miler if your ankle still isnt 100%..

Well, I felt rubbish when I got up this morning.. felt like I had a hangover despite no alcohol last night (perhaps that was the problem....no pre long run glass of vino!)....did have a late night though. Legs felt heavy from the start and I spent the first few miles trying to decide whether I should give myself a weekend off the long run or just try and put the miles in but not look at the watch / worry about the time. I ended up going for the latter and somehow completed the 20..... was then pleasantly suprised when I looked at my watch and saw I had averaged 8.11! Went from feeling very miserable about it all to a lot happier!

Hope all your LSRs have gone well...or do so tomorrow.

• Could someone tell me how you add a profile pic on here?! The file size of all of mine just seem to be too large.....
  • Bambi35

Would like to know too?!! Every time I try to up-load my pic from previous running events. I receive the message file is too large? Up-load failure........................

• Hi All

Bambi35 & TriWill - When I select the option to update my picture it presents a dialog box with the following instructions...

Instructions: Press the 'Browse' button and select an image from your computer that is one of the following file types: .jpg, .JPEG or .gif. Please ensure that it is 100 pixels wide and 120 pixels high (see example on left). Once selected press the upload button.

Images can be any width and height but their files sizes must be less than 12 Kb.

Bit contradictory with image size but I would try to create an (jpg/jpeg/gif) image that was 100 x 120 pixels and less than 12Kb and try uploading that.  However, I'm thinking you might have already tried that???

Did my LSR today instead of the usual Friday as my blister was giving me a bit of a problem.  Seem to have sorted it with a couple of days rest from running, surgical spirits to harden the skin and a compeed blister plaster.  However it chucked it down with snow overnight so was running in 2-3 inches of snow for most of the time and slush for the rest.  It turned out that it was a very long and even slower run than normal for me as I did 20M in 3:14hrs.  The longest I've ever taken for that distance but at least its 20 miles in the bag... did also stop for a couple of toilet breaks and to poke n prod a slight niggle in glute/quad.  Anyway...hope the rest of you had a successful LSR and those doing a HM race today, hope to hear from you later.