Should I quit? 3 week break in marathon training schedule, 7 weeks to go.

I was attemping to train for the Brighton marathon on 18th April but have haven't been able to run at all in the last 3 weeks because of a relationship break-up and house move. I've only got 7 weeks to go and it's my first marathon. Have I still got enough time to train or should I postpone? I had built up to my longest run of 17 miles (35 miles that week) and my half-marathon time last Sept was 1:50.

Comments

• I think you could still do it you just may need to adjust your times,   go and enjoy the day for what it is

Try  a 10 or 11 miler this weekend and see how you get on
  • Agree with Meldy..........don't try and do too much the first week back.

But if you feel that by training it puts more pressure or stress on you then let it go for this time.....but I think by starting to get some runs in it will help

good luck

• It's stlll a goer as long as you just aim to finish it, forget any specific times. It would give you something to focus on, however you feel about the relationship break down - it's bound to feel different now and it'll be good to have something else to think about. Besides which if you've moved to a new area as well as a new house getting back into your running will help you find your way around and some new routes.

First week back no more than about 25 miles total with a long run of about 10 at the end of the week if it's going ok at that point - if that's ok, i'd go up to 30 miles wth a long run of 15 the next week , then 35 miles with a long run of 17 the following week then 40 ish miles with a long run of 20  each week until you taper

All the best

• agree with others

try and keep the training going and focus now only on the finishing of the marathon,

make up your final mind nearer the time, 7 weeks is quite a lot, and just taper week or two weeks before but keep the body and mind relaxed but sharp

Does that make sence ??image

wishing u luck  

• Sorry to hear about the break up but I think you'd kick yourself if you let it spoil your plans now.

I'd go for it - friends have run marathons after worse (time wise)  interrruptions than you've had. Just don't be tempted to try and ame up the runs you've missed.

Good luck - let us know how it goes.

• Thanks for all your responses they've all been really encouraging!

I'm going to just get out there this week, take it easy and see how it goes. If all goes well then I'll try duracelldeb's suggestion and work upwards towards a couple of 20 mile long runs which will still give me 2 weeks tapering.

Many thanks!

• Sorry about the relationship break up and house move, very stressful.

Yes, get back into your training, running is a very good stress buster even if you think you feel fine just getting out there and running can free your mind. I'd also advise on chocolate and I'm not being silly. A chocolate shake is great fuel for running and recovery. Chocolate also lifts the spirits and relieves stress. (dark chocolate of very high cocoa content for the last bit).

I had a mishap when training for my first marathon and had about 5 weeks out. Got back into training with 5 weeks to go. Built up my milage and ran the marathon in the (revised) time that I wanted. So yes, you can do it.

Best of luck.

• Yes, you should go for it!! My OH had a hernia op and then a break in training after that due to injury, with a couple of months to go before his first marathon and without great preparation during the last few weeks managed the LN marathon in 3hours 32 minute. We were all amazed he actually finished!! Sorry to hear about your breakup. Good luck with your training and the marathon.

• Matthew - Mrs TD seems to contract major illnesses to coincide with marathon training.  Shingles, Lactose intolerance diagnosis (!!) and bronchitis.  Each one of these have robbed her of 5-7 weeks of training in a 16 week programme.  So far, for the 3 marathons she's raced, the most accumulated training she has done is 465km, the least is 451km. All races have ended well for her, no wheels falling off.

You still have 5 weeks left to train hard and a lot can happen in that time.  Also, the focused discipline of training and the mental free time could give you some good head space to process other recent events, and that could potentially be the biggest improvement benefit for you- go for it!

Good luck!