Opera WTF?

In an effort to share Mrs RBMs interests I have got some tickets for Carmen the last time I went to the opera with her was for Figaro all was going well for the first hour as the subtitles were giving me the gist of the plot and the warbling wasnt to bad then the subtitles broke and I had another 2 hours of WTF is going onimage can anybody recommend an interesting read for getting into, understanding and also the basic plots or should I have just got us both tickets for Pendulumimage

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    You could try this libretto, should give you the story line.
  • Wilkie wrote (see)
    You could try this libretto, should give you the story line.
    Sorry to show my(considerable) ignorance but what is a liberetto is it a plot/lyric sheet etc the Amazon site  doesnt explain 
  • A libretto is the words without the music- I'm guessing this should also include a translation

Plot synopsis:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmen

• rbm - just give up on the squawking bints and stick to the bike.......you know it makes sense
  • fat buddha wrote (see)
    rbm - just give up on the squawking bints and stick to the bike.......you know it makes sense
    Just trying to share her interests after all she came to a couple of tris in................2005 ish hmmmmmmimage perhaps your right!
  • Just remember you don't go home til after the fat lady sings
  • Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Just remember you don't go home til after the fat lady sings
    Things is looking up I like big chicksimageimageimage
  • Ridgeback - I'm in exactly the same position with Mrs C, she classically trained and I go and watch her sing in the choir shes in, she also does weddings if anyone is interested?

First Opera I went to watch with her was Carmen, quite enjoyable as long as you take it for what it is, a load of blokes and women singing outside a Fag factory.

Fag factory isn't a slang term for anything either........image

• Yep I have had a quick look at the plot on the internet  not much of a plot to make into a 2 1/2 hour musicalimage soldier bloke meets fickle and violentlly unstable gypsy bird who works in Ciggie Factory falls in love gets sent to chokey for her, when he gets out she has gone on the lambwith the local bandits, he finds her, she bins him for flashy matador type, he gets the hump and tops her at the bullfight. game over ........ or am I missing something?

• Ipod with in ear head phone in the opposite side to Mrs RBM image.

•  Help, I think I am in the wrong family! my wife loves her opera, one daughter is a talented musician with French Horn being her major weapon of choice aand the other daughter is into classical literature, drama etc in a big way..     I  have a taste for 70s Punk/new waveimage The Damned are playing down here soon perhaps she will like thatimage   
  • ridgebackmax wrote (see)

Yep I have had a quick look at the plot on the internet  not much of a plot to make into a 2 1/2 hour musicalimage soldier bloke meets fickle and violentlly unstable gypsy bird who works in Ciggie Factory falls in love gets sent to chokey for her, when he gets out she has gone on the lambwith the local bandits, he finds her, she bins him for flashy matador type, he gets the hump and tops her at the bullfight. game over ........ or am I missing something?

You should work for a Classical music magazine......
  • Cona wrote (see)
    ridgebackmax wrote (see)

Yep I have had a quick look at the plot on the internet  not much of a plot to make into a 2 1/2 hour musicalimage soldier bloke meets fickle and violentlly unstable gypsy bird who works in Ciggie Factory falls in love gets sent to chokey for her, when he gets out she has gone on the lambwith the local bandits, he finds her, she bins him for flashy matador type, he gets the hump and tops her at the bullfight. game over ........ or am I missing something?

You should work for a Classical music magazine......
    Thanks image