Options

Sub 3:30 - VLM 2010

Comments

• Options

Nice one CK,  

Similar to Bambi on my run today,  20M done but it was seriously hard work this morning.   Just over 3hrs,  started to struggle from about 13miles,  3-4 walks from there until at home  but I guess it's miles in the bank.

Had the pleasure of watching the rugby whilst having a beer or 2 and helping the kids make pizza for tea,  so overall it's been a good day.

Hope anyone running tomorrow has reasonable weather.

• Options

Just about to set of to T.Wells for HM race and it's raining Persians & Spaniels !!!

Time to have a re-think about that sub 1hr 37min time... anyone got any windscreen wipers???

• Options
    About to head out for 20 miles in the pouring rain...

CK, long run on a Saturday (rather than a Sunday) now seems like very good plan!
  • Options

Fear not one and all... all is well in Loompaland !

Don't quite know how, despite hills, torrential rain throughout and roads that resembled lakes, i somehow managed to pull a 1 hr 36 min out of the bag... ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED !!!

To top it all off, got a cheeky little hug off of Dame Kelly at the finish line as well... I think i'm in there ! image

• Options
    Nice one Oompa, both on the great time and you're newly found love interest image

I got a hug from Floella Benjamin at last years FLM, but not sure that top trumps your DK experience.

Once again, well done.

Hope everyone else's run went well, looked nasty out there this morning, well that was the view from under the bed covers.

Regards, CK
  • Options
    Run went well - 20 miles reasonably comfortable.
  • Options
    Well done Oompa! A pb in those conditions is great running! I did keep an eye out but to no avail.....but  then I even managed to miss a friend! Ended up marshalling and have just got home to dry off and defrost!
  • Options

CK, Bambi, Jaffa, DB9 - Well done on your long runs.

Oompa - Excellent HM time.

Did a 5M race myself yesterday.  Not quite the time I wanted at 34:19 as was held up at the start by slower runners and a narrow course.  Did enjoy it though as haven't raced for just under 2 years.  I can also say I got a PB too as never done a 5M before image.

• Options

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Bambi, i can only say a massive thank you to both yourself and all the other marshalls for yesterday. Its one thing running in those conditions, quite another standing around and marshalling runners and traffic and uttering words of encouragement.

Well done to everyone who braved the elements yeterday, it was truly horrible.

CK, Were you a weather man in a previous life or was is down to pure luck that you were the only one sensible enough to stay in bed yesterday???

Right, must dash as i've got Dame Kelly on the phone... keeps pestering me after yesterday !

• Options
    Some FANTASTIC ! running going on.

Missed the running for a week but enjoyed the skiing. 1st run tonight felt great. I think the break has done some good.

Need to get some miles in to burn off all the French cheese and red wine image

• Options

I agree Jayos, I think a rest can be a good thing! Anyway, not like you were sat putting your feet up... well, except when you were eating the cheese and drinking the wine!

Having not had a great long run last weekend, I am thinking I might use Thanet 20 this weekend as a training run.... doing a lot of training on my own at the mo and think it might help to have some other people to help drag me round!

• Options

Great runing being reported I see, well done in the HM Oompa!

Not so great progress over here however;

Was away with work last Thursday but managed to squeeze in a quick 6 miles around meetings which I was chuffed about, then after a dodgy Chinese that night I was left seeing it coming out both ends all night.

That pretty much wrote off Friday Saturday and even Sunday I didn't feel quite right so didn't venture out. Monday I fely good again and did a 15 miler as my long run, actually averaged 8 minute miles wich I think is ok as I wasn't pushing it.

Then yesterday afternoon I came down with illness once again. This time it was shiuvers, sweats, aching limbs all sorts really, I felt like death.

Spent yesterday evening and all night sleeping it off and feel a little better today but still not quite right. No running again today I think, I'll see how I feel for tomorrow.

I'm now getting concerned that I will have only done 2 runs in a week, some work to do then to get back on schedule. 

• Options
    Hi DD

Felt like that a couple of weeks ago, both illness and drop in confidence. It's amazing how that changes after doing a couple of good runs. Can't believe there are many who complete a 16 week training programme and don't suffer from ilness or injury and am sure it compensates for that.

Get well soon, once the next LSR is conquered you'll be brimming with confidence again.

Did an interval session last night 1.5K warm up and then 4 x 2K at 14k/hr with 0.5k intervals 1.5K warm down.

No haven't gone all metric, just that the only treadmills available were those using metric and brain was too weary to convert. Found it relatively easy which suggests I miscalculated speed/distances. Ah not to worry, it was 800 calories in the bank, 600 of which were negated with the pack of Haribo I consumed on the way to the gym. Switching to these from jellybabies, try the sour ones!!

Regards, CK

• Options

Hi All,

trying to find out start time of the marathon. I may be being stupid but looking at the runners information part of the virgin website - http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/2010-virgin-london-marathon-information/runners-information/ - this info does not seem to be readily available?

• Options
    Funny, I was looking for the start time just yesterday. I think it's 0945.
  • Options

DB & LS:- I think that the start time is 09:45, but i'm sure that our registration forms will confirm this when they arrive this month... that is unless you want to go off with the quick boys & girls at 9.00 ???

DD:- Whatever you do, don't try and "catch up" with the programme because of the sessions that you've missed. I'm in the same boat at the moment, as ever since last Sunday's race i have had constant problems with my right calf muscle cramping, even at relatively slow speeds and low miles... tonight was supposed to be 9 miles at around 8.00 m/mi but calf locked solid at just over 6 miles!

Am now going to rest it so that hopefully i'll be able to do my 20 mile LSR on Sunday (fingers crossed).

As CK says, it's amazing what the next good run will do for your confidence.

Get well soon.

• Options

Hope you are on the mend DD - Oompa is right, dont try and make up for lost training, that's when injury is more likely to strike. I had a bad week last week and hardly did anything.... I think its inevitable over the course of the training.

I have at least managed a full week of training this week, my legs still feel constantly tired, but guess that is to be expected! Quite anxious about doing Thanet 20 on Sunday after last weeks long run went pear shaped.

Oompa - hope your calf is ok for your long run.

• Options
    Not just me that's struggling this week. I'm not sure what I've done but what started with a tight muscle in my quad seems to have resulted in a groin/hip injury which has resulted in discomfort in both walking and running. Frustrating as it is am taking a break from the running image Instead concentrating on getting myself into shape so that when Menshealth call for that cover shoot, I'm ready!

Regards,CK
  • Options

Cheers for the advice and reassurance everyone, starting to feel a little better now but still not quite right. Think I may try a gentle 5 miles later today depending on how I'm feeling, hope it will go ok and then I can get some more done over the weekend.

Oompa - hope your calf muscle doesn't cause you any more trouble and you run ok on sunday.

Bambi - hope you also put a good run in on Sunday too

CK - rest sounds like it could be the answer, hope you recover soon. I'll look out for that Mens health issue!

Sounds like most of us are strugling with one thing or another then, oh well I suppose its better to have this now than a week or 2 before the race.

• Options

Hmmmmmmmm... seems our running forum has turned into an INJURY CLINIC !!!!!

NO MORE INJURIES PLEASE GUYSimage

• Options
    Sorry Oompa to be the bearer of more bad news but injured myself at the moment.  Aggravated my glute/quad niggle at Sundays race.  Managed the short/fast interval session on Tuesday (just) but haven't run since then.  Aches even when walking although there is some improvement.  Going to play it by ear and assess where I am on a daily basis.  The way things feel at the moment planning for a loss of 1 week but when recovered will come back cautiously.
  • Options

Sorry to hear your bad news Gadget Man, better news here however - I'm running again!!!

Did 7 miles at 7.45 pace this afternoon and feel ok. Great to be back out there and hopefully will get more miles in the bag this weekend.

Hope everyone else has a good weekend with plenty of good running going on.

• Options

Hello. My first post on this thread but I am also planning a sub 3:30 marathon. I'm traiing well so far but I just wanted to know if I'm doing it right.

My last London marathon was 3:38 so I'm not too far off and i feel quite comfortable running 8 minute miles. I'm running 37 miles this week and hoping to build this up to around 45 miles at my training peak. My training week is built around three core sessions of a long slow distance run, Kenyan hill and a faster or mixed pace run. I also include two recovery runs into the week, usually after my hill and faster sessions.

Does this sound about right?

• Options

Welcome HMHK,

Your programme sounds good but i have a question for you... Isn't Kenya a long way to go to run up a hill?????????

To be honest  i'd be glad to run up any hill at present as i pulled up after about 1/4 mile this morning with calf trouble (again), and am therefore wallowing in self-pity and Nurofen gel !!!

SO MUCH FOR THE "NO MORE INJURIES" ULTIMATUM !

• Options

Well the mornings are getting lighter and the evenings are brighter, spring is deffinately on the way.

Weather forecast in the SE looks good for Sunday so looking forward to 20 miles image

• Options
    Really sorry to hear about all the injuries....hope you all make quick recoveries. Im off to do Thanet 20...even though Im only using it as a training run I'm really quite nervous! imageJust forced the porridge and banana down! Good to luck to those of you doing your long runs today.
  • Options

Hi Oompa. Sorry to hear about the injuries, I've been really lucky with injurys and fitness, the last time I rained for a marathon I caught a cold 6 weeks before the race. Yes, Kenya is a bit of a trek, but no sacrifice is too great! image

Absolutely glorious weather today so I'm really looking forward to hitting the road. I'm just heading out for a 3 hour LSDR. I always struggle to keep my pace down butI should top 18 miles today.

Happy running guys and gals. 

• Options

Well I was a bit disappointed with my run today (2.41) but pleased to at least get the miles in the bag - the hills and wind made it a tough old course mind, I found London a lot easier last year, even though its 6 miles further!

Hope the rest of you have got on ok.... or at least feel you are on the road to recovery. 

• Options

a Hilly 20 miler in the wind in 2:41 isn't bad in my book... but only you know your current fitness levels, how the time relates to your pb etc. Did you race it or treat it as a training run? Look at the positives and learn from the negatives i'd say.

I did a 20M LSR this morning in Brum and my 2:47 looks very pedistrian compared to your 2:41 Bambi! although I was taking it easy. Running to a schedule's definitely helping - energy wise feeling really good, plenty more in the tank, only complaint - left knee was moaning a little at 17 miles which prevented me going any further or faster, although as I say managed to drag myself round the 20. Given I had to delay my LSR from last weekend until last Tues due to a long weekend in London and failed attempt on Monday - thats 60 miles for the week for my highest  ever total.

Hope all's well with everyone.

• Options
    You're right Lamkjo I should be more positive - I was under strict orders to use it as a training run and would like to say I did...but Im not sure where I would have found any more pace from had I been racing! I have not done a 20 mile race before but I think the main reason Im not happy is that I was beaten by some other people that I have previously beaten over other distances - I can be too competitive for my own good sometimes! My pacing was a bit up the creak with miles ranging from 7.24 to 8.48.... but then the wind/hills did effect this quite alot! Anyway it has motivated me to get down some hard training for the next few weeks! Good run by you, particularly as you felt you had plenty more to give!