Options

a thread for knitters

Comments

• Options

That's lovely small. I inherited my grandma's knitting needles, and she also had her sister's in her bag. Sadly I've ditched most of them now and a lot weren't useable. My auntie gave me a huge pile of baby patterns with all the names in of the people she'd knitted them for, including mine and my cousins. image

The market town is indeed on the edge of Dartmoor, with a nice selection of coffee shops as well. I'm turning into a yarn snob as they've got lots of hand dyed and hand spun stuff there <drool>

• Options

Is it Serendipity and Spin a Yarn, Kwilts?

• Options
    What's a pirate?
  • Options

This is a pirate...

http://www.jeangreenhowe.com/Images/storybook8.jpg

Sometimes seen on these...

http://bikehugger.com/images/blog/bike_knitting-thumb.jpg

• Options
    well done small! Are you in CID by any chance? image
  • Options
    Ah! That explains why you knew where I was describing. image
  • Options
    I knit ---------------------->>>
  • Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

My Nan knitted all the clothes for my Tiny Tears so I never got rid of her.  She's still in the loft with all her lovely outfits, including hats, gloves and bootees.

• Options
    Mouse I was given a Tiny Tears for my birthday when I was about 6 or 7. My mum was on the telephone to my grandma, which was mounted on the wall at the bottom of the stairs as was the thing in those days. I ran upstairs to bed and fell over, sobbed and screamed,mum was convinced I'd done smoething awful, I hadn't. TT head had come off and I was devastated and terrified.
  • Options
    KK, not the company BT image
  • Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Beebs!!!  Oh no!!!

My mum taught me how to do disposable nappies for her using a napkin as an inner and then cut tie sided outer bits out of a plastic bag but I used a Christmas napkin and the holly ink ran green on her bum.  So I scoured her with Ajax and now she has a slightly less shiny pink bum than the rest of her.

I may have to go up in the loft and ger her now.

Not that this has anything to do with knitting!

• Options

M0use image

The memories 

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

lol - why so?

Do they still make Tiny Tears, kk?

• Options

You surely didn't buy them *that* Action Man, KK, it did say Unsuitable for Children on the box image

The cuury and lager combo is a recipe for disaster image

• Options

I had a teeny tiny tears too.

I wasn't really a doll kinda girl though. I used to put her in the bath a lot. Her hair ended up looking quite high and spikey. I might have unwittingly inspired the punk hairdo's of the 70's with that doll....

If she wasn't doing deep sea diving in the bath she was in bed and having a sleep. My mum was always saying to me, 'why don't you play with your doll?' and I'd tell her I couldn't because she was asleep...

My mum did knit a very nice set of clothes for her though. I bet she's still got her in her attic too!

• Options

Ooh, a thread I can join image

M.ister W and I have a challenge to knit ourselves a Christmas stocking each (by next Christmas - hence we're starting now!). Judging by how things are going, I'm going to wi image

I'm knitting in the round with 4 needles (and feeling quite clever image) and so far it's going quite well except when I change between colours of yarn I'm tying a knot and carring on knitting with the new yarn. Is that right? It's not looking great. Is there a better way?

My teddy had knitted clothes. Underpants, vest and everything image

• Options

Pink - When I change colours I'll put the thread I'm changing to over the top of the previous one in a sort of weave for a few stitches. When I've finished I sew or tie the ends in to secure them.

I hope that made sense. This might be more helpful.

I knitted this for my son a few years ago as he was crazy about penguins... he still likes penguins but is too cool to wear anything like this now. image

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/338474/Gallery/Penguinjumper.JPG

• Options

I love the penguin sweater! My daughter adores penguins.

Pink, I just leave a long end of about 6-8" then start with the new colour and when it's all secured in, I go back and weave the ends in opposite directions ie new yarn over old yarn. This pulls any big holes a bit tighter too and it doesn't show on the right side. Hope you're going to fill your stockings with goodies at CHristmas.

• Options

I just join in the other colour, leave the end of the original one and then sew them along on the back once it's finished.  Try not to knot the yarns as it can look a bit odd except when it's going to be on a seam.

I have sourced and ordered the pink yarn for my next project and will pick it up tomorrow.  This one isn't finished yet but it's all sewn together and is far too bulky to be portable enough to work on the train.  A 5 hour train trip on Monday & Tuesday so 10 hours of clicking away image

My dolls all had a selection of knitted garments too.  And my very first knitting - apart from dishcloths and simple squares - was a knitted teddy.  Very sqare shape as I remember him and I ran out of wool doing the second leg so that was a different colour.

• Options
    kittenkat wrote (see)

Small knitted me!

I did!

So it will be my fault if you ever fall apart. image

• Options

I've just flicked through a pattern folder, and found two for doll clothes. image

There's also one for a red sweater with Pingu on the front that I made for both mine, and a couple of 2 ply lace baby shawls, don't think I've got the patience for those these days.

• Options
    That's a little scary to be honest...