Sub 3:30 - VLM 2010

Comments

• Creaking Knees - know what you mean about enthusiasm. Although Ive not been out with injury I have still been struggling!

Im feeling quite tired so don't think that helps and my life just seems to revolve around running! I said at work today I would like to just have a nice day out planned this weekend! My nights out seem to be non existant at the moment too....either because its the night before a long run when I just want an early night so Im more up for it... or its the evening after one and Im feeling too knackered to do a lot! Not ideal for a single girl!! (I can hear the violins!!)

But it will all be worth it on the 25th April!

David - its the Kent Fitness League - last fixture and our club is in the lead.....but only by 2 points.... so this Sunday really matters! Not sure I will be able to contribute alot....but I will give it my best shot!

• Oh ...and Leslie I meant to say I am going to buy another pair of trainers (new pair of the ones I have) this weekend.

• Hi folks

Just checking in on you guys...

Not much running for me this week after my 60 miles last week - more of a how you feel kind of a week (also tapering a bit, as racing a 10k on Sunday for a pb). Was out early week as a precaution over a slight knee niggle and blister - decided speedwork wasn't good and have just done a steady 8M and 6M Weds and Thurs. Felt a bit tired today so thought i'd reenergise and may do a handful of easy miles tomorrow or after the race on Sunday depending on how I feel. 20M LSR will be done on Tues next week.

Les St: Eddie Izzard really makes me laugh, also puts me to shame. My VLM place is actually a charity one and i've just gone on my final sponsorship drive based on my single marathon exploits - he's raising money, based on running 40 something... doesn't look like i'm doing much compared to him - actually, if any of my friends i've contacted were watching - makes me feel pretty foolish! Made me laugh as well when he thought he see what running at elite pace was like mid-marathon (in his terms - 13 miles and hour) - just a random kind of a guy. Nutrition makes me laugh the most though - ice cream, alcohol, burger mid-run etc etc. I could go on and on but interesting and amusing watching. Agree an inspiring guy.

Hope people are seeing progress with injuries, Oompa springs to mind and best of luck with your LSR + xc this weekend bambi. 

• good reminder... bambi..

I started running in a new pair of trainers two weeks ago - predicting my current ones would be dead on the ground had I kept on with them to VLM. I'd definitely recommend breaking them in but depends on what your using - if tried and tested could risk it. I thought i'd try out a different type (Adidas Tempo's) and my achilles and calf were playing up for a couple of days after first wearing them - think trainers were a bit stiff and feet weren't used to them, they're fine now, having done a couple of LSRs etc.

• I'm currently running in Asics Cumulus 11's and I think i'm going to invest in another pair to get them broken-in in time for 25/4/10. Might need to be a stealth purchase though, I've just booked flights to London for the marathon, and I still need to get train tickets for the wife and boy! Who said that running was cheap sport???
  • LS - I agree with lamkjo that if you're buying new shoes, make sure that you've put some miles on them first, just in case.

I've recently bought my VLM shoes (Brooks Adrenaline 10's) to replace my 9's and there is a difference, but i've now put about 40 miles on them and am now getting used to them... or would be if i could run !

Thanks to everyone for the kind words of encouragement on the injury front and i am going to try to run 3 miles this afternoon as calf/gastrocnemius (obviously swallowed a dictionary whilst being laid up!) is feeling good when i've been jogging around the house.

If all goes pear-shaped, i wonder if someone could lend me a rope!!!

• Well the 22 is ticked off.... flat route by the sea on my own, 3 hours. Felt very comfortable for the first 11...it was only when I turned round to run back that I realised it was because I had had a nice breeze behind me! Was ok up to about 17 but the rest was just about survival! Shattered now!

Hope everyone elses LSRs go ok - Oompa hope your calf holds out.

• Right then...  the good news... completed the 3 miles and fantastic to just be running again.

The bad news... calf was fine for just over a mile but from there on felt more and more sore with every step. Another weird thing seems to be that it improves or gets worse depending on which side of the road i run on due to the camber... very strange???

Back in ice for this evening and will see how it feels before venturing out tomorrow.

Getting bored of talking about it now, so hopefully this will be the last moan !

• Agh!

Woke up this morning with a chill, achyness all over, high pulse rate, and the sweats. There I was on friday thinking how well my build up was going.

No long run for me today.

• Hi All

Good to see lots of good running going on - well for a few anyway.  Not so good is all these injuries!!!  Hope everyone's recovered or recovering.

Leslie - I would do as you suggest and get a new pair now to break them in.  Usually takes me about 20 miles or so before I'm happy in them but having all sorts of problems with running shoes at the moment.

Think I've sort of got my injury under control.  Managed 4,5,6,7,8,10 and hopefully 10 miles later today...all at an easy or steady pace though.  Don't think I'll attempt anything fast as it seems to do more harm than good.  Hoping to do the same next week but run 20 miles instead of two 10 miles.  That should sort of get me back on track again (mileage wise).  Planning to just get around and have a good day at the VLM this year.

• GGggrrr....

Now I'm thoroughly P'ed off.

Running well today 13 miles @ 7:30 all feeling really good after my massage. Sun shining and a real spring in my step.

All going well until 6.5 Miles in when.... my right leg just decides to give up.

Outside thigh muscle near the knee and the outside of the knee slight pain but can't put any weight on my right leg. Humph... image

A really nice guy who lived near by did give me a lift back home which saved me hobbling back 6 Miles +

Now I'm concerned that I have no time to recover from injury and run the marathon at any sort of pace image
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I just wanted to say hello and good luck with your sub 3:30 goals for the VLM. I’m aiming to break 3:30 for the Belfast marathon on the 3rd May after only managing 3:48 in Dublin last year, after running face first into a large painful wall at around 20 miles!

• Welcome Badbark!

GM sounds like things are nicely back on track again, which is good to hear - I agree with you re the fast stuff...that is what starts to aggrevate the injuries for me.

Jayos - sorry to hear your fortunes have taken a knock..... fingers crossed it is nothing serious and you are back soon - if you have got some good mileage behind you a short rest to get it sorted won't be the end of the world.

I survived cross country today.... the first couple of miles were hard after yesterdays run and I didn't think I could do it, but then things seemed to loosen up and it wasnt so bad! Unfortunately though our club got pipped at the post for the trophy!

I am going to have a well earnt glass of vino this evening!

• Enjoy your Vino Bambi - a chocker weekend for you... so well deserved!

Welcome to Badbark and sounds like a few other injury issues - keep the faith folks and all the best with the recoveries.

Hope the progress continues GM - sounds like the recovery's well under way.

As for my weekend....

Yesterday: Went off for a snailspace 4.5 miles - in all honesty wasn't going to run but think i've gained a little weight from having a light week so thought i'd run but conserve as much energy as possible - a run using little more energy than walking I was thinking.

Today: Fradley 10k - flat course but windy, very slight pb in 42:20ish. Ok but not ecstatic... based on training, 41min flat was definitely on the cards and realistic. Went off at 6:40 pace but a few exposed spots into headwinds and running on my lonesome (groups too far ahead and behind) set me back a little. Anyhow, another day another dollar - i've got Reading Half on Sunday and a pb there in context of VLM will be more valuable I think. Oh... and 2.5 mile warm up - so almost 9 miles done today. 

• 5kn into my 32km lsd run and i think i've torn my left calf muscle. it feels bruised and i couldn't run on it at all.

with 5/6 weeks to go, have i got enough time to get over this injury?
    should i rest for 2 weeks?

• WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN THIS FORUM??? IS SUB 3.30 A JINXED TIME THAT IS JUST A PRECURSOR TO INJURY... IN  THE IMMORTAL WORDS OF HONG KONG FOOEY... "COULD BE !"

Jayos, may i offer my deepest commiserations and wish you a speedy recovery.

Gadget, good to hear that you are on the mend my friend.

HMHK, I suspect that you have been out of the water for too long and have contracted land-lubber fever... again, get well soon.

Bambi, congrats on a splendid weekend of running however as you are the only one of us not injured, please do not overdo it and join the ranks of the boring whingers like my good self !

CK, WHERE ART THOU???????

Lastly, i went out this morning and realised that the strange yellow orb in the sky was in fact the Sun... must've been injured longer than i thought as last meaningful run was in torrential rain and gale force winds???

Was intending to do no more than 5 M, but everything went well and before i knew it, had done 11 M... amazing what a bit of sun can do !

• Thanks Oompa - the recovery drink must be working! Whatever happens now, if I get a niggle, as long as I know Im not going to do any long term damage, I aim to be on the starting line giving sub 3.30 my best shot! Fingers crossed! Great news to hear you managed 11..... hope there are no ill effects and you can put in a last few good weeks.... with the sun shining on your back!

Forgot to tell my dog tale... and hoping you lot will understand.. as I felt a little bad! I love animals... and dogs... its the owners Im not so fond of....particuarly when running. Im also not a big fan of swearing...and rarely do. But........ 21 miles in on Saturday and  a Jack Russell starts snapping at my ankles. Im feeling fairly knackered, sense of humour has disappeared somewhere and I am just concentrating on putting one foot in front of the other! But it doesnt give up.... 'Oliver, stop it Oliver, can be heard in the distance some 100m back'....I think about kicking it, but Im not cruel and didnt really have the power in my legs!...try to flick it off, but to no avail! In the end, I just turned round, whilst running along the promenade, and shouted at the top of my voice 'just f**k of*'!! ....it did the trick, I didnt see it again!! Dont think too many people heard... and I would have apologised to the owner (and explained how its not helpful if they allow their dog to do that!)... but fortunately I didnt see them again!
  • Jayos, I'm no medical professional but what you've described sounds an awful lot like it's your IT band. I'd suggest a visit to a physio asap to have it checked out.

I feel kind of bad posting about a successful race today what with all the injuries around here so i'll keep it short and sweet!

Balloch to Clydebank half marathon. Set out with a target of sub 1:35 and managed to finish strongly in 1:34:21.
  • Welcome badbark

nice runs today LS & lamkjo,  good stuff, 

bambi,  2nd dog story I've heard today,  my dad in law got bitten when out on his bike at the weekend,  the owner wouldn't give her details as he didn't ask nicely enough!  Not suprised he used choice language looking at the puncture marks on his calf!

stay as positive as possible all those with the niggles / injuries there's still time to recover and even other marathons if you don't make this one

some positive news from me after having had a severe lack of motivation this week,  gentle 4 miles warm up yesterday,  then raced 20M today,   was going to follow the sensible advice on here earlier in the week and go for 8 min miles,  met a  mate at the start who used to run well under 3hr marathons 10 yrs ago when fit and ended up chatting with him whilst running for the first 10 miles,  a lot quicker than plan but held on well to finish in a massively pleasing 2.28,  hopefully haven't left it all out on the course today.

• Hi All

Bambi - Like your "dogs tail"

lamkjo and Leslie - Great races

Jayos and IC - Just listen to your body.  There will be other VLM's to run if you cannot make this one.

Oompa - Hope this means you are on the road to recovery.

Did 11 miles myself this afternoon but wish I'd only done 5... the last 2-3 miles into the wind was a killer regardless of how much the sun was shining.  However, managed 52 miles this week albeit at and easy/steady pace so quite pleased.

• Missed your post Jaffa... well done ... a very good time.
  • Great run Jaffa - great time! always difficult when you're running with faster runners but the fact you were chatting away for the first 10 miles sounds to me like you weren't pushing yourself too far.

Awesome run also Leslie - think that's my target (1:35) for Reading this Sunday.

Keep us posted with injury updates all those benched - hope it hasn't affected the work and homelife too much also!

• good morning all, its been a while since I was last here and its disappointing to hear of all the injuries that are occurring at the moment, hope you all make speedy recoveries and well done to those that are already on the mend. 

I ran the Kilomathon (16 ish miles) yesterday and despite telling mysely to be sensible I just couldn't help it and ended up giving it a good old go.

I finished in 1.54.03 which I was very pleased with, I would have been happy with something sub 2 hours. I did the 1st couple of miles at 6.40 pace then slowed slightly but managed to maintain steady 7 miles from then on. Still felt pretty strong at the end although could feel my body just starting to tire from the pace.

A great mental boost following a  few up and down weeks, bring on the 25th April!

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    DD, just behind me then, I did 1.52.25. I did no running for 7 days due to injury and felt amazing yesterday, it has really opened my eyes about tappering for London, i might just do nothing for at least a week.
  • Jaffa, that must be real condfidence booster - fantastic time. Quite far up the field also I would have thought?

Leslie, that sounds like decent route - I am originally from Milngavie so that would be a local race for me...

Oompa, great to hear you got some miles done, fingers crossed you are on the mend

lamkjo, I am doing also doing Reading and aiming for similiar time, will be wearing yellow "West 4" vest so look out for me.

Mixed weekend. Took another few secs off my 5k time (19:30) on the Richmond "park run" on Sat but had a fairly painful 20miler yesteday at 08:20 ish with the last 3 or 4 being painful so very wary of the last 10 miles on the day!!!!

• Evening all

Some fast running by Dangerous_Dan and Marty B posted here - good signs for VLM I think...

Disappointing performance from me today. Felt ok after yesterdays 10k run, so thought i'd see if I could get a long run in (the more log runs the better but having done 3 20s in the last 3 weeks + Reading Half on Sunday happy to cut back this week). Took it very easy initially then let the legs find their own rhythm, went ok upto 9miles then outside of the left knee felt a bit niggly (i.e no sudden sharp pain but felt a little tight/strained I suppose)... nearest way back to home was 7 miles so I just put up with it and made my way back, completing 16 miles. Why the disappointment? Endurance wise the marathon schedule and training with faster runners has definitely helped... had bags of energy and could have easily done 20 miles or more. Now that i've got home also, can barely feel any irritation so feels like a waste.

Anyhow enough from me... as i've just thought - given all the injuries posted on the thread, i'm sounding very spoilt and also probably a bit over-ambitious perhaps.... fingers crossed for injury progress folks!

DB9: Will look out for you. If you can make anything out from my profile picture... that's pretty much me. It's likely i'll be wearing my Adidas singlet on the day also (blue/yellow) and standing by the 1:35 pacer at the start.

Cheers for now 

• Morning all,

Call me superstitious but i'm slightly dubious about saying that all is going well... don't want to tempt fate!

However, got a sports massage on Monday and all seems well. Ran a very sheepish 8 M Fartlek last night and calf felt good.

Just off out now for a slow 6 M.

On a different subject... how is everyone getting to the start at VLM? Am staying in a hotel in Bexleyheath, but seems all the roads nearby will be closed, so can't even get on a bus to the start line???

• Hi Oompa - last year we parked at Blackheath (drove from Kent) and it was really easy and parking was free - I left early but it wasn't like I was going to have a lie in anyway! I just sat and watched my family eat a fry up in a nearby Cafe before heading to the enclosure! Ill wait and see what start I am on before making a decision about this year but will do something similar.

• Oompa - there's a train station in Bexleyheath - not sure if this is any good to you... but that would be my first thought.

I will be using the public transport of some kind, unsure of my arrangements just now - a few options depending on how I feel. For a start, I will be in Gatwick in the two weeks leading up to VLM. Heard, Underground, DLR and some of the train network in the SE is free on showing your race number.

• Train is okay but from Bexleyheath you have to go to London Bridge, change and come back out to Greenwich... 50 minutes when it's only a few miles down the road... might get Mrs Oompa to give me a piggy-back !!!

Bambi, where in Blackheath is the free parking?

Did my 6 miles today but my Garmin only wanted me to do 5? Has anyone else who downloaded the RW schedule to their Forerunner's come across this? I use a 305 and it's the second time it's done something odd.