Talkback: Asics Gel Kayano 16

redred ✭✭✭
How can Asics justify £120 for a pair of shoes daylight rubbery

Comments

• Only £80 at Sports Directimage
  • Put it in perspective red, £120 is a nice meal out for 2 or a weeks shopping. These shoes will last months, protect your joints, let you enjoy ur running and don't forget, they are pretty much the most expensive trainers on the market! 2140/50's are at least £30 cheaper and should still suit most runners of this type.
  • I had a pair of Asics 1140, last year (£70 then). They were terrific for me. I then bought via sports direct Kayano16's. Yes they were £80 but there i was smug thinking i had a bargain as i'm running in £120 trainers.

For me they were heavy, stiff, and then when i had a gait test with them on they're too supportive and over a long distance will cause me more pain so i've just had to sell this pair on ebay.

Learnt a lesson that the most expensive "isn't" always the best!!
  • These shoes are the biggest disappointment to come out of Asics. I don't mind spending a bit more on a shoe, after all the difference between the cheapest and most expensive is about one visit to the Physio!

I've had nothing but problems with these since I got them, and I've had 5-6 pairs of Kayanos before, that were simply flawless - I could put them on and go running, without breaking them in or worrying about blisters and whatnot.

The Kayano 16 has a new offset lacing, which is different than the offset lacing in the 15's. The Kayano 15 were actually quite comfortable and this lacing scheme seemed to work quite well, I can't figure out why did Asics have to go and ruin it. The 16's have an awkward lacing scheme that puts pressure on the tendon running on the top of the foot, from your toe towards your ankle. After a single 4 mile run my foot was sore, and I've seen reports from others who went for longer runs and ended up with bad bruising and blue/purple feet!

Since the shop I bought them from is playing deaf I tried to fix this and found a lacing technique that goes straight across (straight bar lacing, or military lacing) which works quite well, the laces don't cross in the middle thus not producing pressure points along the top.

Then we get to another problem, the removable insole is a surprisingly bad fit, it runs too high up the heel causing blistering. I've replaced it with a third party sorbothane insole which seems to work much better.

It's early days yet, but you shouldn't have to spend this much effort in trying to fix so many issues with a "top of the range" shoe from a reputable manufacturer. Did they even bother testing these?!

• Interesting comments. Have just bought my 5th pair of Asic gel Kayanos. Decided not to fork out for Kayano 16s and got a pair of 15s for only £45 so very happy!
  • runboy wrote (see)
    Put it in perspective red, £120 is a nice meal out for 2 or a weeks shopping. These shoes will last months, protect your joints, let you enjoy ur running and don't forget, they are pretty much the most expensive trainers on the market! 2140/50's are at least £30 cheaper and should still suit most runners of this type.

The last meal out for two cost myself and partner £35 and that was pushing the boat out a bit! The previous trip out was just under £20. Where are you buying a meal for two that costs over £100!!!?

• Granted Wej, it was an expensive one and we normally spend the same as you, just trying to make a point!

• [Chucky Ar Lala}]
    The 16's have an awkward lacing scheme that puts pressure on the tendon running on the top of the foot, from your toe towards your ankle. After a single 4 mile run my foot was sore, ...............

Amen to that. My foot got so sore i cringed at the thought of putting on my trainer again ;-(
  • Brooksy1882 wrote (see)

Amen to that. My foot got so sore i cringed at the thought of putting on my trainer again ;-(

Try the straight bar lacing, it worked for me:
    http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straightbarlacing.htm

Then I discovered that the insoles were rubbish and had to replace them. After years of sticking with Asics I have to say this will be my last pair. image

• Just sold my Ascis Gel Keyano 16s which I bought from Sport Direct and did 20 painful blister ridden miles in, agree with all the above negative comments especially about the insole. Never had blisters before.......terrible ........ Only cost £80!!! Managed to get £65 on ebay fortunately for them. Went back to Saucony Guide 3s, which suit my feet far more. Wonder if Sports Direct had some dodgey stock to shift hence they were cheaper or seconds??? Just a thought, hope it wont get me sued!!

Too expensive but comfy for the guy who bought them off me, he is doing up to 70 miles a week and he loves em. Depends on your feet.

• Good job you don't wear Newtons then, Red!  imageimage
  • I have had no problems with the 16's, having had the 14's and 15's.
  • I love my 16's but didnt like the 15's and changed to GT2150 after but just had sore heels all the time so stopped using them after 250 miles so that was a waste. Tried other makes but they just didnt feel right. Even did a 10 mile race in my new 16's after just 3 miles running in.
  • had 15 now problem

got 16s first run blisters on both feet were my big toe joins my foot

not happy image

• Just got a pair of 16's

Done 6, 5k Runs and 1 half marathon and they are the comfiest trainers I have ever bought. I had my gait checked before buying them (why wouldnt you when your paying £100?) and then got them online for £100.

Best trainers ive owned, no blisters, no sore feet, I can honestly say I can forget about my feet and concentrate on my breathing/Heartrate.

Sorry to be the party pooper but im just not experiancing the same problems as everybody else.

Bryan

• I think we can agree shoes are very personal.   I replaced my well worn 15s earlier this year and looked and tried on the newer 16s, just didn't like the feel of them on my foot and re-purchased another pair of 'old' 15, despite the sales pitch for the newer 16s, still not bargain prices but for me a very reliable, problem free shoe.  If only we could find a BIG shop that sold all the makes in all the sizes in all the colours where we could test out before we make expensive mistakes.  K.
  • I bought some and ended up selling them on after 20 miles as they gave me horrendous blisters on the inside of the heel due to the high inner. Wide feet so not good for me. Really need to run on them for abit and then see what they do to your feet. I ran on the treadmill for 5 mins and seemed okay but as soon as I hit the road the blisters exploded. Went back to my Saucony which are wider. Though every shoe has a down side as these go at the heel. A lot of money for a shoe at £80..........rrp 120.........
  • I did find such a shop,..sportsshoes.com have a shop in Bradford,not too long a journey away from me.They have the most extensive range of running shoes I`ve seen,with gait check available and really knowledgable staff.Some good sale prices available too.

• utterly horrendous - i had to sell my pair of 16's on eBay

they were like running with two loaves of stale bread on my feet - unresponsive, heavy and cumbersome - also terrible arch blisters because of the ridiculously large medial support

gone back to my Kensei now, which seem far nicer and more forgiving
  • I Bought my 16s 3 weeks ago and have had horrid blisters on my inside left heel where the insole meets the shoe. I replaced the insole with one from my 14s but still had problems. As an ebay virgin, how would I go about advertising the trainers when I have done around 30/40 miles in them?

• I too am having issues with blisters/bruising on the inside of my heel in Kayano 16s.   Has anyone had success eliminating this problem with innersoles or additional padding in the shoe?  If so, what brand and model of innersole/padding worked for you? 

Cheers

Steven

• ASICS changed the insole. The 1st K16s last year were fine - no problems. The 2nd set I got from Sports Direct have ruined my feet - with terrible blisters. I've had numerous days off running, and couldn't figure out the cause. I kept thinking that it couldn't be the shoes as I'd owned a pair before without issue. It was only when I took the insoles out of my old K16 and compared them I realised they were totally different - except they are labelled the same... It seems ASICS don't want you to know the insoles were changed.

I think a group of people should take legal action against ASICS for changing the insole without letting people know. I write this in real pain. I won't buy ASICS again - not a nice company. 

BTW - I'm a FF striker, which is why my blisters are on the toes. Those who heel strike will get them on the heel. The mk2 insole just creates friction.
  • red wrote (see)
    How can Asics justify £120 for a pair of shoes daylight rubbery
    well you can get them online here for £108 but that it still pretty expensive for a bit o' rubber.
  • I found a cure for the blisters.  Brooks Trance 9 & Mizuno Wave Inspire 6.  Both highly recommended.  Goodbye Asics.
  • Same here WW. Brooks Adrenalin for me. So light and I can (sort of!) race up hills now instead of constantly thinking about heel. Still have the 15s for wet and muddy weather but I am now a Brooks convert.image