What type of shoe ???

HarryDejanHarryDejan ✭✭✭

I overpronate and have historically always worn motion control shoes, now I wear orthotics should I now be buying neutral or cushioned shoes instead as the orthotics are now doing the work of motion control.

If I continue wearing motion control shoes am I prohibiting the work of the orthotics?

I'm confused !!!!!! - help please...........

Comments

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    You really need to take advice from whoever supplied your orthotics. Many peeps who use orthotics wear neutral shoes - but not all.
  • Agree with Slugsta, I wear orthotics for over-pronation and still have to wear motion-control shoes.

Ask your pod, take your shoes along to a decent shop, have them check your gait out and see what they say.

PS I see you're in Hampshire, so am I.  The people I use are in Alton - no idea if they're local to your part of Hamshire, but if they are, I'd happily recommend them.

Alton Sports

• Cheers guys, will get back to podiatrist for advice.

I live north of Portsmouth, Alton is probably 30mins away so not too far

• If you can make it to them, it's well worth it - they know what they're talking about, are very helpful and want to see you leave with the correct shoes.

They know about gait - orthotics etc - I've had major problems in the past and I've not had any problems since going to them.

• If someone has prescribed / supplied you with a Functional foot orthosis (FFO) / insole, then I have to assume they have done a full biomechanical assesment... and are properly trained to do so?

In which case I am 99% sure you should be wearing neutral footwear. Orthotics only take the foot and the foot's alignment into consideration.... they do not account for the shaping of specific footwear.

To wear anti-pronatory insoles AND anti-pronatory footwear... your insoles would not only have to be designed around your foot but also your footwear... which is only the case in about 1% of people, (people with lots of money for lots of private treatment!)

As an orthotist, I am obviously bias here, however as far as being assessed by a podiatrist for ORTHOTICS goes... This concerns me. Perhaps, seek out an orthotist through visiting your GP. Orthotist are specifically trained in such biomechanics. In my experience, podiatrists DO try their best and DO mean well, BUT...!!?

• Go for neutral and don't over think it.

It takes a while for the benefits to work through but be patient. I've had orthotics for 3 years now, from my excellent podiatrist - and in that time I've done 8 marathons with none of the original problems that led to getting orthotics.

Good luck.