Running holiday

I would like to go away for a running holiday 5-7 days. I will be going on my own and im currently training for a half marathon. Has anyone been on a running holiday you can recommend?

Please let me know

Thanks

Sigrid.

Comments

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    well I have been away for a race but this year going down to Dorset to to a 21 .5 mile route around Swanage which is a place i love I got it out of RW magazine
  • Hi Sigrid

I've planned a week in Majorca in October to run the marathon there.  The event also has a half-marathon and 10k event too, and children's runs.

Andy

• Thanks Andy

Is it a training camp or are you arranging everything by your self?
  • Just a holiday, but at the same time as the marathon etc.

There are package options available I belive as the event is being sponsored by TUI, but I've booked my own flight etc...

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    I went to Club La Santa on Lanzarote for a week last month, they organise races and I did a HM there. Loads of atheletes train there during the winter and my partner and I really enjoyed it.
  • Thanks- I will check out Club La Santa. I might also go on a yoga holiday and then stick to my running schedule outside the yoga classes.
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

Just back from doing Malta mara with RunningCrazy and had a v. jolly time - so I'd go with them again.

Have also been out to do races in Hamburg, Berlin, Eindhoven & Helsinki & just booked it all myself - also easy but you don't get a big crowd of other runners to talk boring running talk with! image

• Fido - I looked at Running Crazy for the Benidorm half - how were they as an organisation?
  • Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭
    The organisation was very tight - it was just Malcolm on this one (I think often he has helpers) but he seemed to have eyes in the back of his head and not to need any sleep. He would notice if someone wasn't there when expected and go to contact them. My only other group holiday was a tour to Lebanon (no, not a running tour) where the Arabic for 14 was burnt into my brain because our tour guide kept losing us (luckily the bus driver was more on the ball image). The RunningCrazy Malta trip was a pleasant contrast to that .
  • djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

Hi Fido,

What was Helsinki like?

I have booked for this year, any tips?

• Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

Delightful.  The only thing I recall we had any difficulty with was finding the expo - we wandered around the Olympic stadium area (following a couple of bewildered Russian runners on, I suspect, the same mission) until ... I forget ... we spotted someone with a bag and asked them.

Because it's an early-afternoon start you don't have to get up at the arse-crack of dawn for brekkie (but I certainly skipped lunch and just took loads of gels). The sport drink was Gatorade - I tried it at the expo & liked it. The pickled cucumbers are surprisingly nice on a balmy summer day but some well-meaning soul had pre-peeled the bananas....

• I'm off to the Algarve on Thursday, 4th year I have been, 2nd time with this company http://www.fullpotential.co.uk/

Couple times before with this company. http://www.209events.com/event.php?event=45

Great for single travellers image

• Sigrid, give Running the Highlands a look too (www.runningthehighlands.com). We've been with them a few times and always found them to be well organised and good value. The trips are mainly weekends but they do weeks as well I think. The Scottish Highlands are great for lovely wilderness trails too.
  • Agree Running the Highlands are very good. They're doing running tours across Scotland, and they also do residential weekends (which include talks from experts, stretching classes, yoga etc), or they'll do a tour specifcally tailored for you. And you can stay at Balmoral.

• Give runinthesun.com a look, as they are open all year. Offers running holidays for all levels of runners, from middle distance to Ultra runners and coaching.