Sub 3:30 - VLM 2010

Comments

• LS - Love the blog, but forget about the vest and shorts... aren't you running in that kilt ????????

• Hi all,

A little late to the sub 3.30 party I know but am seeking advice from seasoned runners. 

I have been following the sub 3.30 RW training plan with a few amendments (inc spinning for my knees and instructing 2 aerobics classes per week.)

So far I have followed the plan with minimal problems - managing to clock the 50 miles required last week and hitting all speedwork as per plan ( had 2 weeks when this did not happen in week 7 (illness)and 8 (skiing) but other than that no probs.  My problem falls with the silverstone half that I did two weeks ago - was tough and only managed a 1.41.21 which is 4 1/2 mins slower than the advised 1.37.(No taper and V windy so that may have contributed)

I am determined to complete this marathon in a decent time and still want to go for the 8 min mile.  What do people think.  Had a blip with my knee following silverstone so last week 20 mile run was slow (3 hrs 15) but was cross country hilly and muddy (ave 9 .10 min / mile despite this).

On flat back in week 6 did a 19 M in 2 hrs 41 with last 3 M sub 8 min / mile and felt good after with plenty left in tank - this was on flat.

Training back up to speed this week and feeling good.  Will do my 20 M on flat with last 4M at marathon pace to see how I fair. Am so determined to do this but dont want to be unrealistic - my endurance pace is better than shorter distance at fast pace or thats what I am telling myself in an attempt to win the positive mental battle that my half marathon time depleted slightly.

Sorry for waffling - all opinions welcome and thanks.

• Oompa lol! maybe one day i'll run a race in my kilt but not this time!

Melissa, hi and welcome to the forum! I think that you have identified your main problem in your last paragraph. It seems to be a mental battle rather than any issues with your level of fitness. You've had a couple of weeks where you didn't mange to stick to the plan due to either illness or holidays but still managed to run 50 miles last week with all the speedwork as well! You can't do that if you're not fit!

I read in the Marathon News that I just got that one way to predict your marathon time from your half marathon time is to multiply by 2 and add 10%.

1:41 = 101 mins
    x2 = 202 mins
    10% = 10 mins
    Predicted marathon time = 212 mins or 3hrs 32mins.

I'm sure if you hit Birdcage Walk needing to finish strongly to knock those 2 mins off you will manage it! Just think back to your long run in week 6, 19 miles with a fast finish and something left in the tank!
  • Hi Melissa...when I set out on my training last year I was aiming for sub 4. Training was very up and down and it was only when I collected my number that I decided I would try and see how long I could stick with the the 3.30 pacer..... the taper and the atmosphere made such a huge difference....the first 15 flew by. Due to a garmin issue I just missed 3.30 by 17 seconds! But I loved it! You will find it so much easier on the day..... and with that mileage....and the speed sesssions behind you .... you should be very confident.... dont doubt yourself, you can do it! (dont panic and think that your not doing enough in the taper period though, just do as it says!)
  • Hi All

Melissa, just go how you feel on the day. The atmosphere is amazing and I have never experienced anything like it, especially the last 3-4 miles around the embankment to Big Ben then down Birdcage Walk around to the finish line. I found it a strange feeling......glad to see the finish line but didn't want the experience to end.
  • oh and for those who haven't found the web page on Runnersworld to predict race times, here it is.  The formula they use is...

T2 = T1 x (D2/D1)^1.06 where T1 is the given time, D1 is the given distance, D2 is the distance to predict a time for, and T2 is the calculated time for D2.

• Thanks guys.

After my low week last week am having pretty good week this week and all encouraging comments have helped - looking forwrd to 20 M run to see what I can do now I feel back on form.  Booked in for first sports massage next week so things are good.

Race predictor gives me a time of 3.31.21 so with adrenalin and proper tapering am going to stick with my sub 3.30 target - will try find RW pacers though as did not find my grp for the half at silverstone.

• Hi all, not much from me recently on here or out on the roads unfortunately.

No injuries or anything thankfully just a fairly hectic life (2 children under 2), busy at work and a short holiday have left me neglecting my running for the last week or so. 

I'm really wanting to get out there and hopefully will manage something later on today, work permitting. 

Good to hear everyone progressing well and recovering from injuries, welcome Melissa, I'm sure if yopu put the effort in you can crack the 3.30.

That race predictor is pretty good, it gave me a time of 3.09 for the marathon based on a recent 16 mile race. I'm not sure I've got that in me at the moment but I sure like the sound of it.

Got my race day instructions through today, very exciting.  I'm at the Blue start.

Can't believe how fast this has come around, just need to do some more running and it will be all ok.

• Got my race magazine etc today. Whats with the red laces?
    Since my injury I've been feeling a bit down, apprehensive in case any other injuries develop. However the intervals and the 10 miles tonight have gone really well. Woohoo image

Feel like I have a new lease of life for the next couple of weeks before the taper starts.

Bring on the Taper !!!

Have a problem with toenails though.... the ones next to my big toes. the nails are quite sore, turning blue/purple and one feels a little lose... any recommendations ? will I lose them?
  • Hmm I had the toenail problem at the end of last week (50 miles running = bruised toe nails). They felt better at the beginning of the week but are now sore again.  It seems to be a really common runners problem and I suspect when tapering starts, it will subside.

When I researched it many suggested poor fitting trainers - I have not changed my trainers, socks or lacing so am pretty sure it is mileage trauma.  You can buy toe protectors (foam thimble things) from boots but I havent tried them so dont know if they work. Mine are still attached to my toes and am hoping they will stay there.  You could always try a podiatrists if they are causing lots of pain.

Glad you are back on form (toenails aside) - think it is natural to have a down week. I had mine last week and like you am now back and feeling great this week.

Mel

ps not sure am buying into the red lace thing think if I unlace my shoes I wont be able to lace them up again properly and dont fancy 26.2 miles barefoot!

• Got my registration form today, day 4 into my injury recovery!

Went to the doctors yesterday who merely confirmed what I already knew, I have acute Achilles Tendinitis. I have an appointment at the Sports injury clinic at the national athletics centre in Crystal Palace who I'm pretty sure will give lots of stretches to do. I've taken two days off of work and I've been doing the R.I.C.E thing every two hours.

Being realistic, I might have to change my goal for this marathon, a sub 3:30 now seems unlikely. I'm so envious of you lot, I really want to run.
  • ps not sure am buying into the red lace thing think if I unlace my shoes I wont be able to lace them up again properly and dont fancy 26.2 miles barefoot!

It always takes me couple of runs to get my lacing absolutely right, I'm loathed to mess about with my shoes now.
  • FEELING LEFT OUT AS SEEM TO BE THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS RECEIVED MY RACE PACK...

MUST BE THE LOOMPALAND POSTAL SERVICE????????????

• Oompa wrote (see)

FEELING LEFT OUT AS SEEM TO BE THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS RECEIVED MY RACE PACK...

MUST BE THE LOOMPALAND POSTAL SERVICE????????????

Is that right Oompa?... Do you mean you have NOT received your race pack?

All the talk of red laces suggests a few have theirs - got mine yesterday 46652.

However of more concern was the run-walk yesterday to ease back into the running and get used to the orthotics. Will see if I can do several miles continuously today.

Best of luck with the recovery HMHK.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I ran a 1:32:01 half marathon at the weekend so my goal of a 3:30 marathon in Belfast is looking very achievable. Then again my 1:36:46 half last year suggested a much better time than the 3:48 marathon than I managed!

Good luck everyone.

• Lamkjo - Damn, you spotted my deliberate mistake... meant to say NOT received my pack.

Off to do 5M Threshold soon... hope it goes better than last night's 9M slow run as my legs felt like lead, although the previous night's intervals went really well... don't understand all this running malarkey !!!

• Hi Leslie,

I have just recieved the short shorts and vest which I ordered a few days ago - I was waiting for a size 10 vest to become available but gave up waiting and ordered both shorts and vest in a size 8.

Shorts are DEFINATELY short! they are however very comfortable and the size 8 was fine.  The vest however is too small and i am not sure how comfortable the support bra insert would be with sports bra and 26.2 miles of running.

Am thinking I will keep the shorts but send the vest back. I dont think even the size 10 would be comfy due to the support insert (chaffing risk quite high I suspect) will probably just wear a loose fitting vest that I already own.

Hope this helps. Mel

Oompa - as the rain fell I was on the verge of making excuses for not running this evening but read your blog as you were about to do your threshold and figured now is not the time to be beaten by a bit of rain and lousy excuses.  Have been out, done my run and am now back in the dry no harm done and feeling better for it - THANKS.

• Hi Everyone

Seems there's a mixture of great running and injury woes. My training has completely gone to pot. A niggling thigh injury worsened to the point where it was painful to walk with 10 days rest not appearing to help. Saw the doctor who referred me to physio and two weeks into that am starting to run again but only for 45 minutes at a time. Has come at a miserable time for me as not running depletes my endorphins and I start to get miserable and to compound it my 4- legged companion of the last 10 years has been severely ill which has been most upsetting. Can't really get my head around the running until that situation is resolved which probably isn't going to be favourable.

Will certainly be doing London but hopes of a sub 3:30 are fast diminishing. Still hope to give it my all though.

Hope everyone keeps up the good running and recover from any injuries.

Look forward to catching up in London.

Regards, Pete
  • Keep your chin up CK, it sounds pretty tough for you right now.

But I'm sure with some good physio your injury will improve and you will be running good again soon. 

Its always tough when these things happen to our 4 legged friends, I hope thinghs improve for you guys.

Stay strong and focused and give it your best shot on the 25th, you never know what you may achieve.

• Melissa, thanks for the info but not really that helpful as i'm male! Really need to consider changing my profile pic!

Does anyone follow @londonmarathon on Twitter or Facebook? Every day they have a featured blogger and yesterday it was me! Here's a link to my blog http://bit.ly/8lwWca if you want a look. Really unexpected to be chosen as featured blogger and I had an extra spring in my step last night as I completed my 5 miler!

• Good to hear from you CK, although sorry to hear about your dog and injury woes. As DD said there's still time for the injury to improve and just enjoy the day at VLM.

LS - Do all the women from your neck of the woods look like your profile pic then???

... Personally i think you'd look rather fetching in a sports bra !!!

Back to running matters... did 1M jog, 3M threshold, 1M jog and feels wonderful to be able to run fast (ish) without worrying about injury... really enjoyed it, even in the pouring rain !

Race pack was awaiting my return home, so i've stop sulking now. My No. is 43112 which is Red start i believe?

REST DAY TODAY... CAN TASTE THE CHIANTI ALREADY(NO FATHER BEANS THOUGH)!!!

• Just treated myself to a new pair of trainers in preparation for the big day, hopefully I'll be able to wear  them in enough before then.

I then couldn't resist going for a run in them, ok so Friday is suppoised to be a rest day but the schedule has been a bit hit and miss this week. Did a nice 10 miles or so, varying my pace trying a few hills, faster miles and stuff. Just a totally random run really all about having fun.

Trainers felt good, nice and springy. They are just the newer versions of my old ones which have served me well, New Balance 760's - why fix somethingif it aint broken.

Wishing everyone a good weekend of running.

Enjoy it

• I have only just stopped chuckling at the thought of a man in those itsy bitsy teeny shorts and bra support vest top - you never know it might make us women run a bit quicker though!  Sorry Leslie for the assumption that you are female but did not really look at your pic closely.

CK - take the running steady and just see how you go.  Really sorry about your 4 legged friend and hope that things improve soon.  As DD says it is always difficult when our 4 legged friends are poorly so try to stay positive.

Did my long run today as on call over the weekend. 20 miles cross country, hilly and windy - legs tired today but completed it in 2 hrs 51 with first 3 miles and last mile at marathon pace.  Is nowhere in warwickshire flat ! These steep hills are wearing me out!

A well earned little tipple tonight i think

M x

• Dear Deardre, 

QUESTION:- Does anyone else struggle to run at slow pace (9.00 mi/ml) ?

I really find it difficult. My mind wanders off, it hurts my joints (knees especially) and i just generally feel better running (a little bit) faster at say 8.30 - 8.40 mi/ml... or is it just me !

I am trying really hard to keep the slow runs just that... slow, as i do not want any further injuries.

This aside, had a good 5M run this morning and looking forward to tomorrow's 20M although we have friends staying this weekend so tonight could get... MESSY !!! 

• A bit of Messy can be good sometimes I think Oompa - over the last few months i've cut right back on the alcohol, to the extent i've been turning some big nightout's down - sometimes I am tempted to go out on the lash to give myself a bit of a rest and to keep me sane but have kept it pretty civilized thus far - Leslie's a bit of an advocate for Messy however so perhaps you can compare notes tomorrow!

Re: Pace... agreed - sometimes it feels awkward to run slow, however from what i've gathered from some of the comments from coaches on the forums, it's very much down to how you feel. If a run is meant to be easy and easy for you feel's like 8:30 pace and next day you're feeling fine, then so be it - i've been running to this mentality. It's more apparent now I think also (despite a slight niggle) - i'm definitely feeling faster and fitter. Went out for an easy 8 miles yesterday to test the knee and it all felt slow and relaxed, yet looked at my Garmin and was running 8:10-8:20 pace. Think that would have been slower a few months ago, but perhaps the leg speed has improved or just used to running faster so anything else is slightly uncomfortable.

Good to hear from you CK, sorry to hear about your 4-legged friend. You've obviously got other things on your mind but all the best and let's see you on that start line fresh and raring to go for sub 3:30.  

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Oompa, I agree with lamkjo about running at an easy pace. If you can talk normally then you are running at an easy pace whether it be 8:30 or 9:00 min/miles. I also think your working heart rate is more important than your pace. If your WHR is below 70% then you are running easy.

• Hi all.... sounds like things are going well for most...

Sorry to hear your news CK... I am a softy when it comes to my cats so can imagine exactly how you feel.

A quiet week of running for me... doing a half marathon tomorrow... hoping for something around the 1.35 mark (my pb is 1.37) but think my lack of fast stuff could be my downfall. Anyway, nice to have a week off the LSR..... good luck to you all with those....particularly you Oompa!

• In a slight adaptation of LS's how not to a LSR i have just completed the following...

1) Go out to a pseudo Wild West style restaurant... the type where the staff do the happy birthday thing with a firework stuck in a random orifice. Hate these places, but the kids enjoy it !

2) Order 4 pitchers of Becks.

3) Nachos, loaded potato skins and a chilli burger... need i say more?

4) Swap wheat for vine and polish off two bottles of "Plonk de Plonk".

5) Come home and decide that Baileys and Disarronno is a good idea !

6) Go to bed early (sic) at 2.20 am, leaving guests to amuse themselves.

Needless to say today's long run could've gone better... First 7M involved trying to hold onto my stomach as booze and energy gels obviously don't go well together !!

The next 10 went moderately well and began to feel vaguely human, only for the final 3M to rear it's ugly head and struggled to get them done... MUST'VE BEEN THE BACARDI & TIZER'S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Nice one Oompa image... you made it round the 20 which is 14 more than me (blisters + orthotics = feet sore... trying again tomorrow) - maybe I need a night out!

Made me laugh gels and booze!