The Trunce, Oxspring

Hi,

Please can somebody let me know what time the Trunce races start? The website says that registation starts at 6.15ish but doesn't say whn the gun actually goes.

I've never done it before but like the look of it and would like to have a crack this year.

Thanks

Comments

• Gambatt3Gambatt3 ✭✭✭

Great race.

6:45

more details on the calendar here http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/2010races.htm

They're discussing it on the forum over there too.

• Great stuff, many thanks Garry.
  • Like yourself Garry, I'm waiting for Monday evening

'Cat'

They're listed on the 'FRA' site as 4 & 1/4miles/550feet of climbing

I don't mind that, or the 3 crossings of the River Don, it's that (3/4 mile?)stretch of road in the middle that kills my legs

This years series starts to get discussed on page 13

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=7155

• Gambatt3Gambatt3 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately, looks like I'll miss the 1st one after waiting for months image

Should manage race No2, in 3 weeks tho image

•  

Heads Up!!

Race 2 on Monday (19th) evening @ 18:45

CheshireCat wrote (see)

I've never done it before but like the look of it and would like to have a crack this year.

Thanks

'Cat'

Did you get to the first one??

If so, how did you do?? (I was reasonably pleased, as it was the first of the series. I finished 68th/218 @ 33:05, but I want to get to '30 minutes' by the end of the series)

Can I take it that you're fairly local in order to be able to get to the location in good-time?

If you do need directions though, look at

http://www.thewaggon-oxspring.co.uk/

Or, use 'Multi-Map, & enter the postcode(S36 8YQ), or OS reference (SE 272 019)

http://www.multimap.com/

And, don't forget to bring the extravagant entry fee of £1.20!!!!!!

Race website http://undeadmonkey.org.uk/trunce/

• Thanks Richard, that's really useful ingo.

I didn't make the first one but I'll br there tomorrow. I'm travelling from Leeds so hope the M1 is clear!

• PS well done on a great performance. I'm hoping for sub-30 too but having never done it before well just have to wait and see. Some great photos at Flaming Photography of Race 1, it looked like loads of fun.
  • CheshireCat wrote (see)
    PS well done on a great performance. I'm hoping for sub-30 too but having never done it before well just have to wait and see. Some great photos at Flaming Photography of Race 1, it looked like loads of fun.

Thanks for the compliment, but I was way off my 'PB' (of 32:12)

It does look like it'll be a wet race tonight. Again!

If you look again at the relveant page on 'Flaming Photography', I'm in there, wearing a blue (Club) top, with yellow long-sleeves & a 'hi-viz' woolly hat.

I'll probably be in the same top tonight, if it's raining, if it's decided to stop I may be in a short-sleeve version, so come & say "Hello" if you see me.

I'll be race number 2497

• It looks, given the weather around here, that it'll definately be as cold/wet/miserable as the first one.

I'm going to try for a short-sleeve jersey, but use arm-warmers as well, so I can take them off if I get a bit warmer.
    The idea might work, it might not?

If it's as wet/sticky tonight, I think I'll be happy just to finish in under 33:00 - never mind considering getting anywhere near my 'PB'image

• Well, I made it tonight and really enjoyed it! Great fun splashing through the river and tearing down those hills - the uphills were tough but as my first fell run it was great. I think the photographer caught me at least once so I'm looking forward to seeing those.

I opted for the short sleeves today but soon got warmed up! Arm warmers is a good idea and one that I've adopted in triathlon before - works a treat.

I was really pleased to get round in 28:34 although that was because the route was shorter than I was expecting (3.82 miles according to my trusty Garmin) rather than me being faster. I'm not sure if I'll make every race (was a bit of a rush getting home from work, collecting my Little 'Un and getting there). I'll try and bring the all family next time.

I've only just seen your message but I'll look out for that club top and say hello next time. How did you get on today?

• 'Cat'

That was a damned good time for a first attempt!, glad you enjoyed it, as we arranged a little less mud, & shallower river crossings just for youimage

I opted for just a sort-sleeve, but with gloves (no arm-warmers), & the gloves came off on the steps (after the steep climb; leave the road, go over the field, & UP-hill to the stile)

According to my watch, I managed about 31:05, which given how I felt for the first mile totally stunned me, as I'd have been happy to get under 35:00

(still, it means that my desired 30:00 is a reasonable target to have beaten by the end of the season)

Don't forget, say "Hello" at the next one  (& follow the comments on that 'Fell Runners Association' thread that I mentioned in my initial posting in this thread

• Thanks Richard, very kind of you. I've been Reading the FRA thread with interest. I must get registered so that I can post. Will defo say hello next time.
  • PS well done on your time too!
  • Thanks 'Cat'.

The results are  on the 'Trunce' site now (link in my initial post in this thread), they actually appeared on-line about 22:00 last night, but I was off to bed, so didn't reply on here.

My official time was 31:13 (70th/227), which still 'gobsmacks me' even this morning.

My pal, Peter Davison (Penistone Footpath Runners & AC), who is a bit of a 'time - target' of mine, bet me by 7 seconds (& 2 places),  'was on a mission' (he knocked about 2 minutes off his 'PB, & was as stunned as I was by the time) - as I can usually put roughly 2 minutes into him

I must have been 'under the weather', or ought to make a better startimage

(I got caught up at the first gate, before the initial river crossing)

By The Way;

If you look at that 'FRA' thread, just look at the winners time & what he was wearing.

Un-damned-believableimage

• I cannot believe he ran that fast, on that course, in those sandals. Ridiculous.

Just had a good look at the photos and I've been missed! Gutted! I'm sure I heard the shutter snap on that last hill as I went by.....never mind. It's now my mission to get a souvenir photo splashing through the river. An added incentive to race again soon.

• CheshireCat wrote (see)

I cannot believe he ran that fast, on that course, in those sandals. Ridiculous.

Just had a good look at the photos and I've been missed! Gutted! I'm sure I heard the shutter snap on that last hill as I went by.....never mind. It's now my mission to get a souvenir photo splashing through the river. An added incentive to race again soon.

I know, it was ridiculous, & almost taking the 'wee-wee' out of everyone one else
    Still, I guess he had a bet with a Club-mate that he could beat him wearing sandals, hence he 'went for it'

If you go back to the 'Flaming Photography' website, 'Part 1' of the video footage is now on 'You Tube'

I was lucky(!?!) enough to be photographed 4 times! (3 times on page 1, & once on page 4), I look to be moving at a decent speed through the water this timeimage

Normally I take it easy wading, even if I lose places, as I have an inherant fear of falling over in the water, & my contact lenses deciding they preferred the river to staying on my eyesimage

I'm waiting for Richard to get up into the woods, & take his pics as we all descend down to 'Don crossing 2', I reckon those could be quite good
    ('crossing 2' is where his 'Trunce 1' shots were taken, & the one where you ran up behind the houses to reach the road - for the return)

• Sounds like you enjoyed Richard - well done.
  • Running Kev wrote (see)
    Sounds like you enjoyed Richard - well done.

Yep!!

It was great Kevin, & getting a 'PB', when I felt as rough as I did over the first mile was a great prize for 'sticking with it'

(I did consider pulling out at the 3/4 mile mark as well!)

Have you looked at the video's on 'YouTube'??

2010 Race 2 (the one discussed above)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLdo7kfEw-0 

2010 Race 1 (2nd crossing of River Don)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGn-4-6V0cg&feature=related 

• Sadly it's still a 'week on Monday' to race 3image

However,this morning I took Nick (an old friend of mine who's well on the recovery from Leukemia) for a walk around the full 'Trunce' route

(first time he'd been in our XKR too, & I think he liked it)

It probably took us about a hour & 20 minutes to walk it (including the diversion - as part of the route is 'no access', apart from race-night)

I think the climbs surprised him, as he had to stop on a couple of the uphills, saying he was just 'trying to get his bearings, looking back over the valley'image

He's a damned fine MTB racer, & has won quite a few races over his 'career' as a 'Sport'/'Expert', & finally, 'Vet' seasons

On the final climb, I don't think he appreciated the 'No Pain, No Gain' stoneimage

I'm sure he now believes we're all loopy, having seen the course in entirety - well, maybe I've simply confirmed the factimage

He knows the winners times, & my times (over the rounds I've run), & has seen the 'Flaming Photography' images/video clips

http://www.flamingphotography.co.uk/

Richard Thackeray 2 wrote (see)

My official time was 31:13 (70th/227), which still 'gobsmacks me' even this morning.

If I could manage that time on feeling lousy at 'round 2', I wonder whether I'll knock anything else off it at 'round 3'?image

• Formerly known as CheshireCat.....it was time for a change of name!

Hoping to get to Trunce 3 on Monday and hoping that I'll get my phoyo this time.

• JohnRobson wrote (see)

Formerly known as CheshireCat.....it was time for a change of name!

Hoping to get to Trunce 3 on Monday and hoping that I'll get my phoyo this time.

You'll just have to make a BIG splash so Richard notices youimage

I think he takes my pics, because I always say "Hello", no matter how lousy I feel - plus I see him at the Cyclo-Cross races (this was the 'Yorkshire Points # 4' at New College, Salendine Nook. Huddersfield. October 2009) 

http://www.flamingphotography.co.uk/imgs/gallerylarge/e1f_5169_3800543.jpeg

Don't forget John, I'll be wearing that top (or a short-sleeve version) next Monday
  • "Heads Up Everyone!!!"

Don't forget, it's almost 'Trunce-Day'image

• Richard Thackeray 2 wrote (see)

"Heads Up Everyone!!!"

And it appears that it'll be another cold 'n' damp one tonight!

Nope, it wasn't too bad, but a bit cool!

I started too far back
    I'd been talking to 'John Robson' (from here & the 'FRA' forums) on the front row, but moved back before the start............... too far back, as I ended up getting caught up in the queue at the first gate

Mindst you it was a nice dry course, with hardly any mud, & very low water levels image

I managed to finish in 31:15 , which gave me 58th/191 ('PB' = 31:13)

John;

Nice to speak with you!!, if only briefly!, hope you enjoyed yourself again!!

It was a fairly quiet race though for some reason, with only 191 runners

(so far this year there was; race 1 = 218, race 2 = 226)

Richard Thackeray 2 wrote (see)

"Heads Up Everyone!!!"

Somehow, I think ('up to press', anyway!!!), it won't be cold & damp race tomorrow eveningimage
  • There was a photographer at river crossing 3 the other night - any ideas if they have been uploaded online anywhere?
  • JohnRobson wrote (see)
    There was a photographer at river crossing 3 the other night - any ideas if they have been uploaded online anywhere?

I thought he was at #2, but I may have been wrong, as I (as usual) found the biggest hole when I jumped off the bankingimage (have to try a different spot at the next round)

If it was anyone to do with Richard Asquith ( http://www.flamingphotography.co.uk/ ), they're not on the site yet

I wasn't happy with my time, as I seem to be getting slowerimage

Race 1 = 33:07 (29th March)

Race 2 = 31:13 (19th April)

Race 3 = 31:15 (10th May)

Race 4 = 31:23 (24th May)

Race 5 = 31:32 (14th June)

The annoying thing is, I know where I'm losing time, but seem unable to do anything about it (Race 4 did see a shoelace come undone, so I would possibly have got a 'PB' without that??)

Oh well, that's all 'water under the bridge', see you all at the next oneimage (5th July)

Digressing, ever so slightly;

There's a thread here that transformed into a 'Trunce' thread (including the experience of a first timer)

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?UTN=159022&URN=2&dt=4&srchdte=0&cp=1&v=6&sp=

• Yeah been keeping an eye on Flaming Photography all week. And you're right it was the 2nd crossing.

Stick at it RIchard and the improved times will come. I thought it as tough the other night.
  • JohnRobson wrote (see)
    Stick at it RIchard and the improved times will come. I thought it as tough the other night.

I've just done the Harden Moss Fell-Race this afternoon, & for (allegedly) 3 miles, that was damned hard!!!

Not sure on a placing, as there were only about 30 runners!, but it took me 27:22 by my watch!

27 damned minutes for 3 miles!!!!image

http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?id=530

• Richard, that must have been a tough one! I would have been interested in that event had I know about it. The afternoon start would have made a nice change and the family could have come along.

Do you have any other local (ish) fell races that you know about or can recommend, I've got bitten by the Trunce bug and would like to try more fell races. By the way, when I say "local" I live in Leeds.

I'm hoping to make Trunce 6 but will be relying on a meeting in Solihull finishing on time, then I'll stop for the race en route home all being well.