Running Clubs in the North West/Manchester

Anyone a member of one of the South Manchester clubs?

I think it might be time I joined a club, and there is quite a lot of choice around here, but it is a little intimidating...any advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• I guess it depends what you like. Manchester Harriers is my club and it's a really nice, friendly club, and it works for me as it's not the end of the world if I can't make it every week - they're quite relaxed. image I did try Stockport a couple of times (as I was a member there as a teenager), and they're great, but I would say they tend to be a little more competitive. So it depends what kind of club you're after, I guess... Most clubs don't mind you going once or twice before committing if you want to try one out, sowhy not try that?

• Thanks for that - Manchester Harriers are one of the clubs that I am looking at, though it is a little out of my way (and I would have to cycle there when I couldn't nab the car off Mr Frodo)

What is club training like?

Also, I am a teacher and some of my class are Junior Members - would you know how likely would I be to encounter them?!

Friendly is important to me, but I still worry about not being on the pace - any further advice?
  • Ah well, you'd probably be hard pushed to avoid the juniors really I'm afraid, as they usually finish their training as the seniors start...

The club training for senior ladies is usually about 5 miles on a Tuesday at 6pm and then a track session on a Thursday at 7pm. I haven't been for a bit because I'm training for VLM (ironically on a club place) and the times just never seem to work out with my training plan - either that or work gets in the way! Don't worry about the pace - it's mixed ability, and there are runners at both ends of the spectrum, so don't worry, you're bound to find people around your pace however fast or slow you think you are! Debbie, the coach is really encouraging and will usually run with new members (or cycle when she's injured!)  

I also tried the Women's Running Network in Didsbury for a bit, but the days didn't work out for me - I think they've changed their name now and they're no longer part of the WRN (can't remember what they are now though!).

Whichever one you decide to go for, I definitely recommend joining a club. Go for it - you won't regret it! image

• there are quite a few Stockport Harriers on this thread:

The Wanna Blista Social Club

go and introduce yourself, they're all really friendly image

(if somewhat mental image )

• Thanks for taking the time to reply, both of you. image

Looking at the Wilmslow results, which I ran too, I'd be dead in the middle of the Manchester Harriers, and towards the back of the Stockport runners. (Though I'm also assuming there are loads of members who didn't race)

I know it's in my best interests to join a club and would really like to, but I'm still nervous and therefore able to find many excuses to delay my decision (procrastination should be my middle name!)

I have my training plan sorted for the next month, leading up to the Sheffield Half, so I think I'll bide my time until after that race then see who's willing to have me!
  • there's Wilmslow, Altrincham and Sale as well of course

I can point you in the direction of forumites from the first two, but don't know any Sale-ites...

Styal have a group too I believe - they meet at the Ship Inn, which always appealed to me! image

• DazTheSlug wrote (see)

Styal have a group too I believe - they meet at the Ship Inn, which always appealed to me! image

Just reminded me, I forgot to mention Manchester Harriers often do longer runs at the weekends too and usually meet at the Ship Inn on Saturday mornings at 9am (unfortunately meaning they're usually finished before the pub opens...)

* Frodo * wrote (see)
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, both of you. image Looking at the Wilmslow results, which I ran too, I'd be dead in the middle of the Manchester Harriers, and towards the back of the Stockport runners.
    Mmm, yes and I was one of those slow ones from Manchester Harriers this time - about 40 mins off my PB only 4 weeks earlier at Blackpool, partly because I had to add on another 5-6 miles to make a long slow run for London, partly because I've been injured, and partly because I ran with a lady who'd been struggling with sciatica. It was good fun though! But unfortuantely it meant only medium t-shirts were left by the time I got to the finish line - if only I'd known they'd have technical shirts this year. image

Anyway Frodo, like you I'm a bit tied up with a training plan this month (doing London in just over 3 weeks!), but if you did feel like going along to the Manchester Harriers any time from the end of April, drop me a PM and I'll try to make sure I'm there, so you have a friendly face. image
  • Hi again, Ehlne,

Thanks for the offer - I will definitely be showing my face in May!

I may also try Altrincham as they are closer, and looking around the forums, Stockport are also getting rave reviews for being friendly, so may say hello there too, Daz image

Hoping for a better month of training in April as March was a bit shocking!

All the best for London, have you been before? It's an ace experience, I've run it three times, but I last ran it in 2003, in costume, and it scarred me for life! image