*.**..***.. Running in the rain *.**,*,,,*

I've read a lot of threads from people who love running in the rain, but, are there any other fellow asthmatics out there who find it really difficult to run when humidity is high? haha. Or is it just me?

I have to slow right down and I tire out really quickly when it's proper raining. A splish splash here or there doesn't seem to effect me too much, but when it's that rain that 'soaks you right through' (says Peter Kay), then I'm puffing and panting like a labrador. Which isn't very nice on when you're meant to be doing a 20 mile training run. image

Any ideas? Stay indoors? ha. I hate gyms, by the way. I doubt whether they would allow me to run 20 miles on one of their machines anyway.

Tra

Comments

• Sorry, I don't have asthma, and have to say i fit right into the category of people who love running in the rain.

Really sorry it has that effect on you though!

• I love running in the rain. All my best runs come when I'm in the rain. Good times.

I ran a 4 mile PB once, in the rain, right off the bat. I think it's a psychological thing more than anything else.
  • I like rain running, but not the heavy belting-it-down stuff.

I'm not too sure you'd ever want to run 20 miles on a treadmill, let alone be allowed to! I once ran 15 miles on one, just as a bit of fun for me and my mate who worked in the gym, to see what effect it had on me and the treadmill....backfired a bit on him when he had to close off the machine and give it a strip down clean to get all of my sweat out of it!!  imageimage

• I probably sound like a labrador in any weather, I dont like running in heavy rain, but running in light rain is better for me then being too hot in the sunshine! but, you cant plan the weather, and with work/kids etc I have to run whenever I get the oppertunity, so, on a run day, if its raining, snowing, baking hot etc, I will run! (or look like Im trying at least)

• Thunderstorms in the summer are quite bad sometimes - appareatly they bash the pollen out of the trees or something.

Back in 2003 in Luton I was really wheezey (on the verge of going to A&E) after running in a heavy shower. Then saw in the news that 2 asthmatics had died and loads admitted to A&E, and people like me felt the affects too.

probably something about this subject on the web

• @ Simon Lynch: haha gross. I've run a half marathon on one before and got told orf for hogging it. I just blew a raspberry at the gym bloke and didn't go back. Gym people are so miserable, on average. Then again, it's hardly a party I spose.

@ Brian Keep: ever thought about taking the kids with you? hehe I've seen people jogging with prams in New York. image

And to the rest of you show offs who can run in the rain without sounding like a bloodhound on a trail

*blows a raspberry* image

• GlennGlenn ✭✭✭
    I have (exercise induced) asthma. Surprised rain makes it worse though - usually a bit of humidity helps me.
  • Maybe it's just damp induced asthma. I'll get some proper advice me thinks.

• Fried RICE wrote (see)

@ Simon Lynch: haha gross. I've run a half marathon on one before and got told orf for hogging it.

Why you need to go at 8am if you want to do that. I tried it once during that mammoth snow we had in January and I was desperate to get a long run in. 12 miles later and I was bored out of my mind!
  • Archie2K wrote (see)
    Fried RICE wrote (see)

@ Simon Lynch: haha gross. I've run a half marathon on one before and got told orf for hogging it.

Why you need to go at 8am if you want to do that. I tried it once during that mammoth snow we had in January and I was desperate to get a long run in. 12 miles later and I was bored out of my mind!

Quotetastic!

8am? Never heard of it. image I wouldn't try another long run on a treadmill. Takes all the fun out of exercise - all that staring out of the window.

• I find running in the rain a problem, because my glasses steam up. Can't have them lasered because I am too short sighted to have it done.

What I normally do if I run in the rain, is wear a baseball cap to try to keep the rain off my glasses.

• Contact lenses? I love mine. I get mine for a £10 per month, if you're interested.

• Went for a run in the rain this morning. Loved it but my legs didn't. They were frozen after 2 miles despite me wearing my winter tights.
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    I got soaked wet though on Tuesday night running in the rain my trainers still are a bit wet inside
  • I love to run in the rain and when it's a real downpour and I'm in a group it often ends in a bit of a water fight image
    I keep the running glasses on though. They obviously get covered in the wet stuff but it keeps it out of my eyes!
  • I certainly don't mind the rain at all, I almost love it!

I did a short fell-race on Monday evening in the pouring rain; the 'Trunce', & was only 50 seconds off a PB!! (including 3 'wadings' of the River Don!)

One day last week I even ran to work in the 'beginings' of thunderstorm, which turned out to be hailstones descending, not rainimage

But......

In February I had considered entering a fell-race up in Wharfedale, but it snowed on the morning of the event!
    We had 3 inches here in Wakefield, & doubtless more at the race HQ, the organisers were undecided whether to go ahead or not - YES - fell-runners thinking about cancelling on the grounds of safety (or simply tieing up the local rescue services by looking for us all)

I made the decision to drive up, on the off-chance' that it was still on.

Thankfully it was, & I must say that it was one of the best (most enjoyable) races I've done...................................... 5 miles (& 1260 feet of climbing) around Ilkley Moor in the mist & falling snowimageimage

http://www.ilkleyharriers.org.uk/index.php?page=imr

I got a reasonable result for a first attempt at the course (& thus not knowing where the steepest climbs/descents were), finishing in 119th/215 @ 1.00:16

I'm 5th in-line, in a 'hi-viz' hat & yellow jersey sleeves

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4008/4376012790_570aec4653_b.jpg

• I've yet to be out in very heavy rain, but have been in the lighter stuff. I find it quite exhilarating. I think I read something somewhere about rain cleaning the air so it's better for you? Or something?

Oh, if your trainers have gotten a soaking, newspaper is the answer. Tear it up and roll it into balls and pack the trainers as tight as you can with it. When I was almost up to my ankles in massive puddles a while back it worked a treat.

•  
    GSK wrote (see)

Oh, if your trainers have gotten a soaking, newspaper is the answer. Tear it up and roll it into balls and pack the trainers as tight as you can with it. When I was almost up to my ankles in massive puddles a while back it worked a treat.

Yep!, it even works after this kind of treatmentimage

Not sure why Richard - the photographer - favoured me with 2 shots though??, perhaps he expected me to fall over in the waterimage

http://www.flamingphotography.co.uk/portfolio91458.html

(we go through that river - the Don - 3 times on that race)

• I dont mind the rain, it gets rid of the sweat off my hair haha and cools me down =D
  • I LOVE running in the rain, it's so refreshing and it means there are no groups of idiots hanging around to get in your way or hassle you.
    When it's absolutely sipping it down I like to run straight into huge puddles, huge drips streaming from my visor which keeps it out of my eys, cars go past with the inhabitants looking at you like you're crazy but it feels so free and liberating! image
    ....or am I just crazy?

...Linda xx
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    it is good running in the rain but if you have shorts on your legs go red when having a shower afterwards
  • The world isn't ready for me in shorts Dinda!!!!! image

...Linda xx
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    well I have been running for 7 years and just find it faster in shorts I do swimming and walking aswell and training for Chester mararthon my 4th full one
  • Ha. I'm a little embarassed, coz I've just bought my first pair of split shorts. Only for Brighton Marathon - I reckon it'll be quite warm. It's only my second full one, so I need all the help I can get. I'm sortof praying that they'll turn out to be really long shorts - more of a kilt really. I'm scared in case dogs think they've found their long-lost bone and start chasing me. I might have to spray myself with Febreze to keep em away. Or take a stash of dog biscuits to distract them.