Pre-VLM illness

Just over three weeks to go. I went down with a cold at the start of the week having done 18 miles on Saturday followed by 6 on Sunday. Was supposed to do Tues Wed and Thurs (8m, 11m, 8m) but had to miss them all as I had a very sore throat, a cold felt crap and feel like I have a chest infection. Got some antibiotics from the docs yesterday and did a 6 mile run on the treadmill today, only I had to stop as I now have diarrhoea. Just my luck.

I should be doing a 20 miler tomorrow. My last one. I wanted to go for a sub 3.30 marathon but have shelved that and will settle for a sub 4. It is my first marathon so think I should just try to enjoy it rather than put too much pressure on myself. I don't think I'll be doing the 20. I could have moved it back a week and done it next weekend but I am doing the Blackpool half marathon and was intending to do it at 8min/mile pace to see how I felt at the half marathon point.

Not really asking anyone anything. Just feeling sorry for myself.

Comments

• Hey, hey, hey. Don't beat yourself up. Think about it. You got a cold now which is better then
    a week before the marathon. But if you followed your training, done the long runs then
    your fitness will be at a good level. Get yourself better. Rest, take the medication, Take
    vitamin C and zinc. Drink plenty of fluids. I think a cold will not destroy your hopes.
    Once you recover, resume training. If you run the half, maybe just run it for experience and
    see how it goes.

Get yourself better and don't feel sorry. image

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Pull yourself together and stop this self pity. image

No reason why you can't go out and run a sub 3:30 marathon if you've done the training. 4hrs is a massive difference and probably not credible. OK - so don't put the pressure on yourself, but you'll still run closer to 3:30 than 4.

You can still do long runs with the runs, I should know, just carry some wetones with you. But if you have a chest infection still then stay home till your over it.

I can understand your doubts as I feel them for myself and was worse on my first marathon. I had 5 weeks off running and only did 2 long runs prior to the marathon. Just take it one day at a time. Don't do anything silly. You will enjoy yourself. The buzz you get when you finish is great. image