More money

If you've been following my last thread you will have seen the bizarre ramblings of a number of forumites, working a thread towards 2620 posts.  Those forumites have now been taken away in strait jackets and it's time for some sensible people to earn their charities some money.  So here are the rules.....

I have a charity cheque for £26.20 for a forumite who is running the London Marafun.  This cheque will go to the person I think is most deserving.  This could be a person who has had the hardest journey to get to the race or the person who has the most deserving charity.  I'm looking for people who are running for a cause that really means something to them.  You can nominate someone else (last year's winner was nominated by a whole bunch of people) and I encourage you to post your Just Giving web page addresses so anyone reading this can donate as well.

The judge's decision is final and I'll make that decision next week.  Let's say..... Wednesday.

So..... tell me why I should give you the money...

Comments

• If it's okay with Mister W - I'll chuck in another #26.20... and double the amount. He can make the decision where it goes.
  • I am running for Bowel and Cancer Research as my grandma died of this disease as unbeknown to her she had the Coeliac condition, which went undiagnosed until she had been laid low in her early  50s. I too now have this Coeliac condition and have had if for 17 years but thankfully due to a diagnosis I shouldn't go on to develop Bowel Cancer.  My best mates 15 year old lad has also got this developing rapidly. We are both going to be cycling from north to south of the UK and then I am doing the Great North Run also this year. As a 48 year old with skinny legs stuck under a desk most of the day I am hoping I can make it.

I have tried three times to do the LM but failed due to injuries this year with only 10 days to go its looking good.  Two years ago I broke my ankle 8 days before the race.

I need another £500 to reach my target please help me out. Many thanks.

www.justgiving.com/mark-street

• Hi guys,

What a great idea, fair play to you.

I am running the Marathon for Two charities again this year. So that would be £26.2 for each.

The first is the Stroke Association who, although are a large Charity, provide a large amount of support for my 62 year old Dad who suffered a massive stroke at the young age of 57. This was 2 weeks after he retired from work, hoping to spend his retirement with my Mum and on the golf course! The work The Stoke Association have done for him, has at least allowed him to meet people in the same situation and have provided support and occupational physio to allow him to at least get to the toilet on his own, restoring some dignity.

The second charity is Martin House Children's Hospice. This was only the second Childrens hospice in the UK when it opened in 1987, and as a family we have supported them as much as we possibly can. They provide a refuge for both the terminally ill children and just as importantly the children's parents and family. Children can stay at the hospice right until the end, and the family can sit with the children to say goodbye for as long as they wish after they have died. The hospice is completely funded by charitable donations, and although we all hope we never have to use there facilities, at least they are there if the unimaginable should happen.

Andy

• Hi there,

I am running the marathon for Cruse Bereavement Care in memory of three people and for the families of people who have experienced death, in whatever form.

Firstly - Phil and Alex Kent - who died in a house fire in 2003. Phil being an excellent friend of mine when I was between 17 and 20yrs old, and his older brother - who ironically was an off-duty fireman.  I first became aware of Cruse as a charity after really struggling to come to terms with their death and whilst I did not use their services at the time, felt reassured by their presence.

Secondly, is Frank Forsyth, who's my boyf's father (I guess he'd have been my father in law in a few years time!) who committed suicide in August 2009.  Cruse have been brilliant in supporting my OH's family through this sudden tragedy in their really close family unit. 

Please check out my Justgiving site http://www.justgiving.com/oliviacollett

Many thanks

Olivia 

• *struggles out of straightjacket*

I am running for Asthma UK. My primary involvement with them is via their residential children's holidays, where children with asthma can get involved in activities that may have been denied to them in other environments due to their asthma. Last year we had a kids whose school wouldn't let him go swimming, play football, do PE etc because he had asthma - it was such a shame, as he participated fully in all the activities during the week without any problems, yet this part of his childhood was being denied him by an educational establishment with incredibly poor understanding of asthma. 

Anyhow, through these holidays I have met a great many wonderful friends with extremely severe, brittle and life-threatening & restricting asthma who, despite significant disablement & too many medications to count, daily nebulisers and regular hospital admissions, remain positive, vibrant and active role models for the kids.  They would dearly love to run a marathon, but can't, so I'm doing it for them. 

I have asthma myself, (BTS stage 4 if that means anything to anyone) but determination and training and regular meds ensure that I try not to let it affect my running.

My page: www.virginmoneygiving.com/drcathsmarathonwheeze

Cheers image

• I vote for BB as she did loads of work on the other thread!!!

Up the Python!!

• In June 2007 my wife was walking along a footpath when she misplaced her step and fell 15 metres down a ravine. She broke her arms in various places, a few ribs, dislocated a shoulder, fractured her pelvis, punctured a lung and broke two of her vertebrae.  

In time, all of the other injuries would heal but if the spinal fractures had moved, even only by a matter of millimetres, it would have damaged the spinal cord causing irreparable damage and leaving my wife paralysed. 

It was only thanks to an immediate operation to stabilise the fractures and then subsequent operations that meant that this did not happen.  

I’m running for Spinal Research as they fund research looking to repair spinal cord damage, research that made my wife’s operations possible, research that means she can walk today.  

As well as running the London Marathon, I’ll also be running in the Edinburgh Marathon 4 weeks later… 

http://www.justgiving.com/drummond2010 

Thanks for reading

Drummond

• Yes I vote BB too! Two reasons, one because of her contribution to the aforementioned thread for the deluded. Two, because I'm a sucker for children's charities.

Good luck to the rest of you with your fund raising also.

• I vote for Basil image  Not because the other's are undeserving, far from it, but just because Basil is lovely image  (if every so slightly unhinged image)
  • My charity: The Stroke Association.  Did you know that Stroke is the major cause of long term disability?  Which costs the NHS major money, besides the human costs...  The SA helps make sure everyone gets the proper short term, long term and preventative care: many strokes are preventable.

My dad had a stroke following heart surgery.  Though to most people he appears to have recovered well, those who know him know differently.  He worked in computer programming from the very early days, but now has trouble with simple computing tasks, which he finds very frustrating. He has trouble with fine movements (eg dressing himself, shaving) and with eating: he has trouble swallowing so often has to spit out chewed food.  It probably would have been worse without the physio etc he got after his stroke.

My journey: training has not gone well... besides the weeks of ice I've also had a chest infection and suspected norovirus.  There's also been a few weeks when I haven't run due to work.  I know, you've heard that before, but I do have a job where I work 7 days a week, up to 15 hours a day over christmas, and covering 12-15 miles per day some weeks.  I have tried fitting running into that... unfortunately it turns out running too much on concrete pavements wrecks my legs!  In spite of that I have (sort of...) trained up to 18 miles.  With my job walking a marathon isn't really a problem, and I've done run/walk before.  However I'm hoping to run the whole way and take an hour off my time: a bit of an 'Eddie Izzard' challenge for me!

I'm on a ballot place this time, but am still working on the target for a previous gold bond place (the gold bond has been well and truley paid for, but I didn't raise as much as hoped, so want to reach that goal!)  While I'm sort of hoping increased work contacts are going to help this time, fact is last time my friends proved skint/tight (most folks I know are on benifits...) so could do with some help!

I'm also exploiting cute kittens for money... http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Moonrising

• I think no one but Mr W should give a voteimage

If anyone else wants to vote then they should vote with their hands and click on the appropriate give giving pagesimage

• I have a fabulous story but I am doing Windy Marathon so I am not telling   image
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

Good plan, Seren.  If any of these stories strike a chord with you then get your credit card out and get clicking on the Just Giving page.

• hi iam running on a ballot place , and raising money for a small local charity all my reasons and details can be found at

www.everyclick.com/alanpearson

p.s. the poorly man was my dad..

good luck to everyone and i hope you all achieve your goals 

alan xxx

• Completely agree - tis lovely to have voices of support, but it's Mr W's decision image
  • Sorry to sidetrack a bit, but A Pearson - did someone really sponsor you £0.039????  I think you're worth sponsoring just to balance that piece of idiocy!  I just need to find my card...!  I keep looking back at it and thinking I must have mis-read...  Did I?

• that £0.039 looks like a sponsored click from a web page to me!
  • SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Mr W and Corrie, you are  very, very nice men!
  • Ahhh, thanks Andy - that makes sense!  Oh well, all a good cause to have given a bit to image.  I won't put my card away yet and wait and see what else comes up as well....
  • The b team

i think the £0.039 is from someone searching the web ..not really sure how it works!!

thanks for your kind sponsor as i said earlier i have a ballot place, not cost the charity anything unlike them expensive gold bonds and am doing the marathon for more personal reasons(you'll understand having read my everyclick page) so i thought whilst i am completing my own personal race i may as well raise a bit for a local charity that never get a look in with "major charities"

anyway to me and T.N.C you are now The A++++++ team

alan

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

Boing...

There must be some more people who want some cash from Corinthian and me.... or are you all running for charities you don't care about?

• Thanks its appreciated........if you wish just drop me another nice sum......appreciate the generosity of you guys. Thanks.

Going to be having a bag pack at Tescos this Saturday and then Sat night a barn dance to raise money for Bowel Cancer Research.....looking for ward to the Marathon for a rest.....

Cheers guys. image

• Well I really want the money!  Apparently there is someone trying to sponsor me and they couldn't get the page to work.  Grrrrrrr
  • 1. In trouble as my daughters who are helping me raise funds for Bowel Cancer Research are now having to drive from Barcelona to home in Derbyshire so wont be back in time for my bag packing event at Tescos in Chesterfield, they might make it for the barn dance in the evening hopefully.....I need help if you are in the Chesterfield area.. Blinking volcanos in Iceland never mind the banks giving us trouble.......

2. I will shave all my hair off for the highest bidder by next Saturday night...........  getting desparate now.....

• im lucky enough not to have a story behind my charity choice VICTA (visually impaired children taking action). what i mean by that is i am thankful to have 2 healthy children. i chose to run for VICTA purley on the basis that i liked the set up of the charity and what they do. with so many great charities out there its hard to pick one, but for some reason this one struck a chord with me.

for info please go to www.victa.org.uk

and if you like you can donate at www.bmycharity.com/daveramus

thank you and good luck to all with the marathon and your fundraising.

• ok hear goes.

I started dating my wife many moons ago. We started courting in the month of February. A couple of months after the London Marathon was on and her and her family went into LM mode and I soon realised what a big deal it was to them. They had and still do stand in the same place every year. I was just turned 20 so getting up at 7am after a heavy night on the lash wasn't the most appealing so I swerved it.

I had noticed my father in law went out running but it had never been mentioned until that day that he had run the marathon 7 times and at a decent pace (PB of 3.05). My god they may have not mentioned it before but they did from that point onwards. Pete was a good all round sports man, played semi pro football, decent golf handicap and as mentioned good times in the marathon. Every time I went out running my wife & sister in law would all point out I had not done a marathon and not a patch on Pete. Like many others I threatened to myself I would one day run LM but never got round to it.

In 2007 my father in law was diagnosed with prostate cancer. A real surprise given his active, healthy lifestyle. Compare him to others in the family (smokers, heavy drinkers etc) and it was even more of a surprise.

I thought it was time to bite the bullet and sign up. I didn't get in the ballot but got offered a golden bond place with Prostate Cancer Charity & Orchid, as PCC offered first I took them up. Pete was super enthusiastic that I was following in his footsteps and was ready to offer any advice if needed. During my training Pete started to under go Chemo at Barts Hospital. He was offered a trial of a new treatment at Barts that he took up. As Orchid were based at Barts I kept in contact with them and they agreed that in 2009 Pete I could have places so we could both run for them. Treatment went well with his PSA starting to drop. and in January 2008 he started his final set of Chemotherapy. With the marathon on the horizon Pete was having plenty of banter telling us to lap up the attention this year as I would soon be in his shadow again when we both run. Without warning Pete got a chest infection that would not shift and soon turned to pneumonia. As he was in the midst of Chemo his defence system was very low. He was soon put in intensive care and a full recovery was expected due to him being so fit. Unfortunately this wasn't the case and he passed away in Feb 2008. He wasn't able to see me and my brother in law complete our first marathons or run with us in 2009. His 2 daughters stepped up to the plate and both joined Nick & I in 2009

Pete didn't die in vain. As a result of the biopsy afterwards, all patients who have the same treatment as Pete now have to take antibiotics to stop the infection he got.

For those who don't know Orchid is a relatively small charity that do great work for male cancers, prostate, penile & testicular, and are helping to find a cure while also raise male cancers profile on an equal footing with female cancer.

Sorry for such a long post. My page is [u]www.justgiving.com/neilherbert2010[/u]

• Right right - I'm a very lucky bunny to have received a small bonus from work this year so if it's okay with Mr W and Corrie I'll add another £26.20 cheque into the mix to take the total up to £78.60. I will (as Corrie has) also bow to Mr W's decision on where this is to go - being part of the support groups for the day I've been itching to do something for the runners on our thread and their totals but sadly the bonus wasn't that big!!!!!!

Mr W, you have mail image

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Oh come on..... there's nearly £80 on offer.  My decision isn't going to be very difficult if we don't get a few more people wanting the cash.