long shot: Pedestrian (running) access to Stockholm Arlanda airport?

volcano.. stuck in Stockholm... etc etc...

So I'm staying (until Sunday morning at least) in the SkyCity hotel in Stockholm Arlanda airport. I've got my running stuff with me. There is a hotel gym but it's like a sauna and, frankly, I'd rather eat my own orthotics than do 15k on a tready.

I'm quite familiar with the airport but have always come by car or train and have absolutely no idea how to get out on foot. Once out, I'm quite happy to just run for 7.5 km then turn round and aim for the airport.

So (and I do realise this is a long-shot)...  any locals or Arlanda regulars know anything useful about running out of this place?

TIA,

Higs

Comments

• Have they closed the airspace ? If so maybe you could run up and down the runways  ?  image
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    cougie wrote (see)
    ...maybe you could run up and down the runways  ? 
    There are one or two (local) flights I think but they can't be using all the runways. I'll ask the security guys (or maybe I'll just go for it).
  • Just dont wear your Ipod higs and then you'll hear them coming anyway !

Have fun over there !

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Just don't hold your table tennis bats as you run.  You'll have the planes going all over the shop.
  • Björn Suneson is a swede who is running across America at the moment. He says in his blog that he ran to the airport with his jogging pram. He didnt say which route he took but it would be possible at least. Running is becoming more and more popular here all the time so i would expect at least one of the hotel staff should be able to help you with a route

• I don't remember in detail, but it is quite spaciously laid out in the outdoor parking areas: there tend to be many walkways around the long-term parking areas, which also gradually blend into leafy groves with small spin-off companies, admin offices and the like. I remember for certain finding a geocache in such an area. I'm sure you could get a nice run in, given the good weather at the moment. If you had a GPS with you maybe you could find a something to go and look for from www.geocaching.com - the description would probably say how foot access is.
  • oiyouoiyou ✭✭✭
    try this - only last week xrayspex did a run
  • For example, this map shows the geocaches around Arlanda airport that you could use to run to. Your hotel must be in the area nearby I think
  • Not the worst hotel in the world to get trapped in, although the treadies are a bit claustrophobic with your head stuck right up against the monitors!

I was a very frequent visitor to Arlanda for a few years. You should have no problem finding lanes to run along close by. If you follow the signs to the other Radisson hotel (off-airport) there are a number of lanes with very little traffic where you can run or alternatively some wider roads with pavements where all the off-airport hotels are. I wouldn't be surprised if you find some marked trails in the woods, they are fairly common in other parts of Sweden where I've been. 

There is also a golf course (I think they use it for the Scandanavian Open) very close to the airport that you might be able to get permission to run around. It's on theright hand side of the motorway as you head back towards Stockholm.

You will probably need to ask for a map just in case you get lost though!

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭

Thanks all.

I asked at SkyCity reception and was told it's not really possible to run out of the airport complex on foot but that if I get a shuttle bus (14) to the other Radisson, you can run from there and they have maps. So I got the shuttle but over last night and was given a map and told that it was perfectly possible to get between the two hotels on foot. In fact he told me that if he had to go between the two hotels he preferred to walk. So I walked back.

The map he gave me is a run out to and round the lake in xrayspex's route so I'll use that as a basis. I should really do something ~15km so I'll either do a few laps of the lake or see if there are any interesting trails coming off it.

Anyway, back to bed now (after leaving not one but two phone alarms on the same time as yesterday image)

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭

And jolly nice it was too. I did three laps of the lake (and a few other random bits to make up the distance). Sunshine and blue skies.

I have to say, it helps navigation on the way back to have started your run about 100m from the control tower.