Starting Tri training...

Knee consultant shaved 60% of my meniscus off via keyhole surgery on Monday and has suggested I drop marathons and take up these things called Triathlons instead...

Anyone else started Tri training for this reason? Is there life after partial meniscus removals?

Someone please cheer an old man (38) up and say yes!

Cheers

GraemeHH

Comments

• Graham not for the same reason but started doing tri's last year after 12 years of just marafun and a few halfs for a laugh. Best advice I can give is go to a sprint tri ever to watch or to do it and take it from there. If you have the base fitness you can finesh. If swimming a problem good starting point is the crap swimmer's thread on here and also Tritalk although be warned a lot on there are more interested in pointing out there bike is expensive.

Where in the uk are you? We can point you in the right direction to get you started with ever races or local clubs. 

• "old man (38)"  ???? image

Loads of us are positively geriatric then.

By the way there's a marathon on the end of an Ironman triathlon.

• Shhhh Donald!  Twas supposed to be a surprise once someone convinces him to do an ironmanimage
  • graeme - good luck with the knee rehab. I had both of my knees done when I was nine ( I'm 38 this year ) and unfortunately there was no key hole ops then, I've got large matching scars.

Anyways what I'm trying to say is I've ran for years and had various problems but since taking up triathlon and basically cross training my knees have been fine - I've even completed the odd Ironman and the marathon didn't bother me.

Knee been playing up a bit lately as I'm doing London, and really increased my normal milage.

So yep you can recover and do well in triathlons, if I did anyone can. And they are so much more fun than just running.

And everything CAKE says is true.

• Hi Gareth,

I don't have any real experience recovering from a long injury, but i have just started training for a triathlon. I've never been a great runner but find the variety of a sprint triathlon fantastic. And given your marathon pedigree you will absolutely be able to finish in a decent time.

I too find the whole my bike's bigger than your bike chat a little intimidating / tiresome. Any suggestions for a decent beginners bike?

Thanks

• eighty8 - quick answer : one that fits. Vitally important that you get it set up properly. Other than that depends on your budget, wether you want a road bike that you can add tri bars to or an all out TT machine.

My first bike for triathlons which I still use ( although I now have a TT bike ) was a Giant OCR2, cost about 500-600 squid new, I bought mine 2nd hand off ebay after researching the size and trying a few out. If you live in a hilly area look for a tripple as it'll give you easier gears for the hills.

I'm no bike expert, and there are a few on here who will probably give you better info.

• Did my first few Tri's on a Decathlon £250 bike....
  • Ironholgs wrote (see)

And everything CAKE says is true.

image Isn't this one of the signs of the apocalise?

• yeah that and volcanic ash........ohh image
  • GraemeHHGraemeHH ✭✭✭

Cake, donald, eighty8 Ironholg and Dave

Cheers for all your posts., I appreciate your comments and best wishes. Today is the 4th day in a row on the sofa with Icepack and laptop and boredom is starting to set in so your replies are very welcome indeed.

Cake - yes I float rather than swim so will check out the thread as I'm going to need to learn how to move in the water

eighty8 - good question re the bike - at the moment all I have is running gear and shades, guess I'll need a bike and don't think my Dawes mountain bike (2 inch tyres) will suit...

Ironholg - i'm 6ft 3 and 15st so I'll need a strong one! where did you get fitted for yours? Is is just a case of getting down to the nearest Halfords then buying online?

Just off for more knee exercises...  

• For a bike fit i don't think many would recommend halford as they don't have a great reputation. Try and get to your local bike shop who may be more helpful (knowledgable) and see how it goes from there. Depending on where you are someone may be able to recommend a good bike shop for you. There's no reason though that you couldn't do your first (or a few) tri's on your mtb, just get some less wide tyres on it and away you go. at least you'll get to see if you like tri before shelling out on a new bike
  • Dude you might end up thinking tri's are rubbish and then you have paid for a expensive bike your never going to use again. Unless you want to go straight into the deep end and start out with a ironman I'd try your first jolly on your trusty MB. Got a book following a tip off last year and it's billiant for swimming by the way. good book
  • Agree with MD6 about bike fit, I went to my local bike store. I also lucky to have relatives and mates who cycled and I tried their bikes as well.

And as Cake says if you're not sure do your first tro on your mountain bike, I did.

And the total immersion book is great, as is their dvd. But again that can come if you decide you want to commit to the sport.

Keep your chin up doing rehab, boring as hell - but the rest is helping you mend and hopefully will see you come back stronger.

• GraemeHH wrote (see)

Cake - yes I float rather than swim so will check out the thread as I'm going to need to learn how to move in the water

Well you're ahead of the game already....I used to sink!  image 

Cake wrote (see)

Dude you might end up thinking tri's are rubbish and then you have paid for a expensive bike your never going to use again.

imageimageimageimage  i hope not Cake - i've not done a tri yet and i've spent a sh*t load on a bike image Oops!  

Graeme, I did a marathon last year and had knee trouble, so that put me off running for a bit after, then I got my arm wrenched up my back by the folks on here and decided to give triathlons a go.  So i've not actually done one yet, but i'm doing a sprint in May, and a middle distance in June!!!!  I'm pretty sure i'll enjoy it, because i've loved doing the swimming training and nike training, and i've become addicted to spin classes as though they were crack. 

I hope you recover well from your op.  I had a bucket tear on my meniscus, so I had some of it removed many moons ago.  I have to say the knee trouble i've had since isn't related - I strained a ligament after upping the training too quickly during the marathon image  Not sure where you live, but you could come and watch the cheshire sprint tri on 23rd of May?  it is near Wrecsam?  Or something like that.  I must really check that seeing as i'm doing it image

• Tri is great fun!   I've no money and my credit card is at its maximum level but I've never been happier and I'm making some great new friends.  No regrets.  image

Hope the knee gets better. But on the plus side it might bring you into a wonderful new sport that you otherwise wouldn't have done.

• I had my knee done six years ago and was told by the consulatnt to give up all high impact exercise.... I'm doing an ironman this year image.

I do get aches in my knee but nothing serious, I find the balance of swimming, cycling and running woorks well for my body. I'm much fitter now than i ever was when I  just did running.

• image Seconded for cheshire tri if your able it's a good laugh and you get to watch Aitch's expepresion after she has put her head under water. I'd take a camera but the court order is still in place.image
  • Nantwich is brill... great fun and a good first oneimage
  • I wouldn't bother going watching a Tri as recommended above if you can manage a marathon you can manage a sprint no probs, unless you can't swim at all that may be a problem image

I didn't want to watch one for two reasons, I couldn't wait to have a go and I thought watching may put me off.

• Purpletrilady wrote (see)

I had my knee done six years ago and was told by the consulatnt to give up all high impact exercise.... I'm doing an ironman this year image.

I do get aches in my knee but nothing serious, I find the balance of swimming, cycling and running woorks well for my body. I'm much fitter now than i ever was when I  just did running.

Ironman isn't high impact....unless you mean the impact of oxy's belly banging on his knees!! image
  • Morning all,

Thanks for tall the comments re: a bike. I am however, still bike-less.

Would anyone recommend spinning as the next best thing to bike training while i wait for one to fall in my lap?

Me and my house mates are thinking of doing the MOTI South West Sprint Tri Series 2010, but then someone else recommended the UK triathlon race series.....all of this, of course, makes little sense to me, has anyone got any particularly strong opinions on either of these, or doesn't it really matter?

Graeme - Good luck with the recovery, stay patient, you won't regrett it.

• Graeme,

re your originally queston I indirectly got into tri as a result of knee injury.  Ruptured acl playing footie.  Got into swimming and cycling as part of rehab.  Years later re-started the swim and bike and then got into tris. 

Knee hasnt been a problem.

• I spent well over a grand on a bling carbon bike without even being able to get on it in the shop, on their turbo, with them supporting it! LOL. And as expected by my wife, I spent a year doing sod all on it.

However, now it sees about 60-80 miles a week and I am looking at upgrading to higher quality frame for a comfort ride.