Sub 3:30 - VLM 2010

Comments

• Thanks Jaffa,

Hope you dont develop a cold.  Pharmacist at boots recommended a product called first defence - she said it was excellent if you use it before the cold actually takes hold - so when you first develop any signs that a cold may be coming get in quick.  It was too late for me but might be worth a try !

Its Vicks first defence micro gel nasal spray.

• AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Went out Thursday evening for 1M slow, 3M brisk, 1M slow, i.e;- not a tough session, and got half a mile from home when i got a sharp stabbing pain from the inside of my left knee. Stopped and went straight home for the now all too familiar R.I.C.E and rested all day yesterday, but seemingly to no avail ! image

It's a strange sensation when walking that feels like the kneecap is not attached???

Booked a physio for Monday, so fingers crossed.

• Oh dear the sub 3.30 clan that was looking oh so healthy and injury free seems to be dropping like flies. 

Oompa Rest Rest Rest and hope physio on Mon will sort you out - will be thinking of you.

Mel

• Hi All

Well the coundown continues... hope everyone will be where they want to be physically come race day!

I've run 3 times this week so far and must say... hitting the pace guidelines for sub 3:30 but would like to feel a little fresher. Definitely more spritely than a couple of weeks ago when I just couldn't cope with the long runs but hoping the next week will be good to me.

Oompa: Hard lines, you've defiitely had a rough ride with the mara training this year. Hope the week that's left will put you right.

Best of luck to everyone else over the coming week.

10 miles for me tomorrow with at least 5 at PMP.

Just to talk about something else so it's not all mara talk - if anyone's interested in flying. The Volcanic Ash can have some benefits! - got a pilot's licence and because there's no airline traffic about at the moment, Gatwick's ghostly quiet and a bit of a free for all (light aircraft are not usually allowed into the surrounding airspace) - went there with a mate yesterday. Here are some pics.

http://jon.hosking-online.com/spgm/index.php

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

For any first timers out there, my advice would be practice your marathon preparation on your last LSR. Get up the same time you will get up on marathon day, eat the same food and drink the same drinks at exactly the same time too. Go to the toilet for 1’s and 2’s at the same time as well! Wear the clothes you intend to run in and go for your run at the same time.

This will add to your confidence and help iron out any little changes that need to be made.

Happy running everyone and I hope injuries and illnesses clear up for you all before the big day.

• Hi guys and gals image

One week today and I'll probably be getting ready for bed! It seems to have come round so quickly...

Rest day today and yesterday, just planning on 8 miles tomorrow on the treadmill followed by half hour or so in the steam room.  Melissa I agree it's weird having no more long runs! And loads of rest days... But the rest will do us all good, I've been feeling so tired lately so hopefully the reduced mileage will help recharge my batteries.

Next week's plan is 5 miles Monday, 3 miles both Tuesday and Thursday, then that's it. Rest days Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. We're going down to London from the North East on Friday morning so wouldn't really get any more chance to run anyway.

• Oh Oompa...sorry to hear about your injury. Hopfully the physio will get you back - if you do absolutely no running between now and Sunday it will make no difference... dealing with it mentally is the hardest bit, but better just to rest it. Good luck Monday.

Agree with you Carrot it has come round so quickly... all feels a little surreal to me at the moment.... but Im sure reality will strike when I go to collect my number!

• DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Signing in for this one at last, did my last long slow run of 22 miles in 2hrs 48mins last Sunday, did that distance for the last 4 sundays in similar times. Just glad its not so cold now as I was getting sick of all that training in freezing weather, 2 weeks ago near halfway of my 22 mile run I was in a hail storm image.

Just hope next Sunday aint as hot as when I ran London in 2007 a scorching 23.8C after a cold winter, I melted half way round the course.

Collecting my number on Saturday then going to the hospital at Woolwich in the afternoon as I'm using the opportunity being in London of doing some family tree research as my great, great, great uncle was a Chelsea Pensioner and worked at Woolwich hospital as a driver to the Director General of the Hospital in 1841.  He was also a veteran of the Battle of Waterloo so its important to find out anything I can about him.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

I’m really looking forward to watching the VLM on TV next Sunday. Any chance that you all post your race numbers so I can keep an eye out for you all? I’ll be cheering you all on from home and paying special attention before the 3:30 mark!

Good luck!

• good luck everyone,i am travelling down fom liverpool on saturday and getting really nervous.

my training says i should get under 3 hours 30 mins, but the day may have other plans for me, it has been a long 8 months training, i have had a new hip put in and will be so proud of myself if i pull this off

i hope you all get what you have dreamed, rest easy now and good luck again

• DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Tony

Really good luck on your time and hope you do get in under 3hrs 30mins, its best to take a note of what your body is telling you and be prepared to review your plans on the hoof when running so you don't do any damage to yourself.  Its bad enough for us able bodied people running a marathon never mind anyone getting over something major they've had done.

I'm actually aiming for sub 3rs 15mins but that could change during the race as it all depends on loads of factors some avoidable, some not like the weather, I could always blame the volcanic ash cloud clogging up my joints if it all goes pear shaped.

• Impressive 22 mile time Darkman, fingers crossed it's not going to be too hot! I'm another victim of searing heat after Edinburgh last year, was on target for sub-3:30 until 18 miles when the wheels came off and the 25C sun became too much.

Did treadmill session as planned earlier this afternoon, finished around 1:30pm and thought, "this time next week I should be finished!" Let's hope so anyway image

• can't wait now,  have just supported Brighton Mara today,  fantastic event which made me just want to get it underway.  

Was a little bit warm today though and not a great deal of shade on route for the runners,  if it's hot next week at least VLM course has plenty of patches of shade.......take advantage of them you'll be glad later in the race.

Enjoy the rest this week guys.

• Did 12 miles today @ mp. went well I just hope it's not too hot next week image

Oompa - Pysio's are like magicians, I'm sure you will get it sorted ready for next week.

Some great running hasn't it gone quick.... Now I'm starting to panic, what time shall I leave home, what time should I get to the start, what shall I take ..........

Good luck everyone.

• Hi everyone, not been around much recently but training has been going to plan which is the main thing.

12 miles yesterday, last 6 at 7.36 ish pace and all felt fine.

Hope everyone is on track to achieve their goals for Sunday.

• When's everyone going down to Expo?

I'm heading over ther on Wednesday mid morning and will hang around for a couple of hours.

• Quick checkup...

Some positive vibes posted re. the runs and good to see a couple of new faces on forum.

9.8 miles for me yesterday, first 4 easy, remaining 5.8 at PMP. Could have been better, PMP bits at 8:05-8:20 - so a bit off but and stomach didn't feel too great... just let the legs go and didn't see any point in pushing to get the pace where it should be. Let's hope the remaining taper, euphoria on the day etc helps to make up the shortfall.

Speak soon folks and good luck to those making it down to VLM from afar.

I think i'll be braving the expo, Saturday morning. 

• I had a similar run to you yesterday Lamkjo...and like you my stomach wasn't feeling too great. Don't think its anything much ...although I have just come back to work after a week off and there is a nasty sickness/stomach bug going around my office..... think I might have to see if I can work from home a bit this week!

• Guys, your encouragement and kind words are greatly appreciated, but i am utterly depressed at the mo ! DREADING the physio visit tonight, in case he says that i can't run on Sunday. image

DD, I'm also going to Expo on Weds so if you can tolerate my whinging and moaning i'll see you there if you like?

• Good luck at the physio Oompa, hopefully he will be able to sort you out so you can run on Sunday.

What time are you heading to Expo on Wednesday? I plan to get there mid morning, have a look around and then grab some pasta.  Be good to catch up with you if you are around at that time.

I'd send you a message with my number but you don't seem to be set up for this.

Let us know what you think.

Cheers,

Dan

• Dan,

I've just changed my profile to allow this now, so send me a message and i'll do the same.

Plan is to get there for when the doors open so i can have a mosey around and possibly get some kit etc..., then on to the pasta party.

Is anyone else going on Wednesday? Would be good to put faces to names... or in my case nickname.

Regards

John 

• Hi guys,

I decided  to take it easy on my last long run yesterday as only just about over my cold. Did 8 M average 8 min 30 mile but was not nice flat road running as none of that around here.  Reminded  myself that you are all wise on here and that I should listen to those of you saying " you can only do too much now and not too little".

Am hoping that with the taper, well planned carb loading and the 5 LSR that are in the bank, I should be ok on the day.

Am going to expo on wed too and am planning to head up in the morning. Am coming from warwicks so may not be first thing more like mid morning. Would be great to meet some of you.

OOMPA really hope the physio goes well and we do see you on Wed!

Mel

• A sub 3.30 meet on weds it is then, I'll DM you both in a bit when I'm on my computer, can't seem to do it via my phone that I'm on now.
    I don't think I'll be there 1st thing, probably 10.30 - 11ish. Perhaps a meet over a bowl of pasta?
    Any other takers?

Cheers,

Dan
  • Unfortunately I can't do Wednesday.... Ill be there Thursday early evening.

Hope the physio works some magic Oompa.

• Fingers crossed for the physio Oompa, it would be such a shame to not be able to run after all the effort you've put into training.

Friday afternoon expo for me, hoping it's not going to be too busy as I don't fancy getting stood on! Am currently in that paranoid phase where all situations become a possible injury threat image

What are people's plans after London is all over and done with? I'm also doing Edinburgh on 23rd May so will be recovering then possibly hitting another taper. Not sure whether to get a 15/16 miler in two weeks after London (and two weeks before Edinburgh) Any thoughts?

• don't let the taper madness take hold guys, it'll all be fine on the day!
    I managed my standard lunchtime 6 miler today from work, just ran without worrying about time and wanted to keep going I felt so ready for it, just over 45 mins for it.

Expo for me on Thursday, will get there about 10am ish, look around for a couple of hours then go and get some decent pasta at one of the nearby restaurants!
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Hi there

Did a 10 mile taper run Sunday evening which took an hour, over half of it was 'cross-country' through stiles and opening gates and the second half was road which breathed freshness back into my legs.  Was feeling really good when I finished and seemed strange to be only doing that short a distance, doing 5-6 miles tomorrow night and thats all.

Going to travel to the expo on Saturday am on the train with the other half and drag her around, saving grace is she's never seen it before so its a new experience for her and exciting.

Have entered for the VLM 2011 tonight, was sent a priority entry for next years race.  I was rejected for this years but was given a place by my running club so I will be in the blue start with a low number of 25961.  This year was the third time I've been rejected in the ballot hence why they sent me a priority entry for next year.

• Well I'm off down to London for a meeting tomorrow and then staying over to head to expo on Wednesday, after my other 'meeting' on Wednesday morning if course.
    I'm hoping to get a run in tomorrow afternoon around central London, I may try doing the embankment then head up to the finish so I can experience that part of the course feeling fresh, surely that has to be a good mental boost for Sunday.
  • First the good news... I should be able to run on Sunday. image

Now the bad... I have Patellar Moanalotitis (It was a long word anyway so i can't remember it!). image 

Basically my knees are shot and the hill session last week followed by the next day running downhill whilst turning a corner means my kneecap jumped out of it's "groove" momentarily and rubbed against the tendons/ligaments that were already inflamed... and they didn't like it !!!

Went to John Allen Physio in Guildford as they apparently look after Team GB amongst others, but i don't  think that there's a lot that can be done. He put some type of "magnetic" thing on the knee for 10 mins or so, but don't think it really did anything?

So the result is that on the day, i am going to swap energy gels for Volterol (back painkiller?) and relinquish my target of sub 3.30. To be honest, i'll be glad to just get round at the moment.

• Ok, looks like it's going to be a hot one.

Now getting a bit nervous extra heat will burn more calories, so should I slow the pace or take on more carbs & water?

Advice please