Brighton Marathon 2011

On Sunday and Monday I swore I would never put myself through it again, but by this morning I was thinking about how I could come back stronger next year.

I have made myself a bullet proof plan now so watch out sub 4.00 here I come image

Does anybody know when the doors open and whether completing the inaugural event gets us some kind of guaranteed in for next year?

I fear I may be addicted to this running lark. What the hell am I gonna do with myself now? I had a massive come down on Monday...... all that excitement and anxiety and pressure and emotion together with complete and utter physical and emotional exaustion....... is it always like that? Blimey what a drug!

Hove Actually

Comments

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    what was the course like as I might enter after reading the ratings for this years

doing Chester and Anglsey this year
  • I feel your pain, did my first marathon on Sunday (Bungay not Brighton). Last 5 miles spent repeating to myself  "Dont walk, dont stop, and I promise you never have to do another one!" Couldnt walk or move after, walking like I have no knees yesterday. Today thinking "when I do my next one, it's gonna be faster!" Addictive indeed. Was Brighton flat-ish!!??
  • compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    Ferretmasta

done Blackpool 3 times and got 22 miles non stop in 2004 it was hard after that but found it hard getting up the travel inn steps
  • "Brighton Marathon 2011"

Oh no, here we go again already!!image

Rumour has it that April 10th 2011 has been pencilled in.  Less than a year to train!!

• I'm in. Had to pull out 8 weeks ago due to chest infection, so was a marshal for the day. Had a great time and it was great seeing a marathon from the spectator's point of view. So guaranteed entry for next year. Would have been my 12th marathon. Now doing Loch Ness in October and then if I get into London, I want to do Paris / Brighton / London next year.
  • Here we go - the long roller coaster ride until next year's Brighton Marathon now begins!

My legs are recovering nicely and I'm hoping to go along for a club run tomorrow (the short group methinks image).

The likelihood of me signing up for 2010 is quite high as I now have a marathon PB which needs to be beaten!  I'm afraid the heat got to me a bit so I ended up using a run/walk tactic for a while meaning I didn't quite break the sound barrier. Whoops - sorry the 5 hour barrier! It's most definitely acheiveable though....

• What a great day ! My first marathon aswell and not my last I'm well addicted .Look forward to next year bring on the hills and the wall.Massive thank you to RW for the running schedules I trained for sub 4.30 and completed the run in 4.14.

Well chuffed Moobs

• Brighton was my first Mara but cant wait for the next , so excited to do it againimage

• Hi Dinda

Dinda wrote (see)

what was the course like as I might enter after reading the ratings for this years doing Chester and Anglsey this year

It was fantastic. Here's a clip from the local news all about it

http://www.itv.com/meridian-east/40000-attend-marathon02954/

• Anyone else suffering big time from post marathon blues today?! 

I said it would be my first and last... but am already itching to sign up for 2011 so as soon as anyone has news that the Council has approved it could they please post!!!

• Oh Holly I'm so glad you said that, I thought it was just me!!! Man am I blue, and I'm not normally prone to such things.image

Everything else just seems so pointless and parochial by comparison. I need the buzz, the craic, the atmosphere, the pain, the exhileration......

• BR: If my legs weren't so sore, I'd go for a run to take my mind off it, but I need another day's rest... should be working but surfing all future events in slightly obsessive fashion image

hoping it will wear off if I find another focus!!

• to keep on top of what's happening with Brighton 2011 check out their twitter feed or facebook page - links are on the BM website homepage

and I guess those on their e-mail list will get some sort of notification in due course

oh - just spotted the picture of the 2 well endowed cheerleaders on the BM homepage. they lifted my spirits going up St James Street!!! image
  • I know these big marathons can get a lot criticism sometimes, but I just read this on the BM website and it really made me smile. We were all part of something very special....

The city's hospitals announced there were fewer patients than on a normal Sunday. Statistics produced by St John Ambulance indicated that of the nine people taken to hospital only three were marathon related, an extraordinary figure.

On the crime front, there was less crime, the reason being the camaraderie created by the running fraternity. Violence and drunkenness disappeared from the streets as runners high took over not only competitors but spectators as well. According to sources it was a crime-neutral event, which is as good as it gets.

People came out of their houses at points where they were not expected, for example from Grand Avenue to King Alfred's Sports Centre. The only explanation for the swarms urging the runners on was that the city was infected by marathon fever.

There were nil traffic problems, partly because many streets were closed, but many motorists either stayed put and used their feet or left the city.

• "There were nil traffic problems"

bar the idiot car driver on the course who delayed the start!!
  • Everyone I meet is still talking about it. And everyone is saying what a fantastic day is was for spectators and for the city in general. The local paper reckon there were 80,000 people watching!

Loads of my female friends were moved to tears by it on the day. Which shocked me a bit as my female friends are all pretty tough, successful scary women and not normally prone to such outpourings of emotion

Funny how it can have that effect isn't it

• If I had known the post Marathon high would last as long as this I would have done one ages ago but Brighton on Sunday was my first full Marathon and will definately not be my last.

I entered Brighton whilst waiting to see if Ihad got through the ballot for London and am now quite glad I didn't and was able to be a part of something that I hope will run and run (if you will pardont he pun).

The people of Brighton did themselves proud and the atmosphere was electric all of the way round and like so many others, I can't wait to get my entry for next year in and my place confirmed.

All those months of training, running in the rain and snow paid off and I am still wearing the silly grin I wore around the course on Sunday.

It was interesting to read in the local paper that 7417 started the race with only 163 failing to finish which is an amazingly small number and just goes to show how seriously those who entered took the event.

Like HollyJW I am already looking for my next event and have settled on the Bewl 15 on 4th July this year - has anyone done it?

Anyway, I must go now and give my medal its daily polish!.

Mark

• Mark Wilson 27 wrote (see)

It was interesting to read in the local paper that 7417 started the race with only 163 failing to finish which is an amazingly small number and just goes to show how seriously those who entered took the event.

Hi Mark, I saw that too, and I thought

A) wow that's good

B) How can that be? Especially considering that there were so many (myself included) first timers in the event and that there were lots of people who (with respect) didn't exactly look like elite athletes (myself included). 

I thought that being such a tough thing to do, and given that I saw some people walking after just 3 miles, there would be a huge percentage not finishing. Does anyone know what the normal fall out rate is on such an event?

• Bewl 15 - done it a few times - good race. It's mainly off road but you don't need off-road shoes if it's dry - on 2 occasions it's been over 30C (and humid) which makes it even harder. If it's bucketing down however, you may well be best having some shoes with more traction as it will get pretty muddy in sections.

at about 2/3rds of the way around you leave the track and head off on a road stretch to avoid the bird sanctuary which is off-limits to people - be warned that there are some steep hills on this section that will make you work very hard just as you are tiring! then it's back onto the reservoir track to the finish.

great cakes at the end as well - worth doing just for them alone!

parking can be limited so try to get to Wadhurst early and there is a short 10 min walk to/back from the start/finish line so factor that in as well.
  • trigger2trigger2 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys.  I did visit Brighton 2010 thread briefly mainly to wish you all good luck because I had to pull out because of injuryimage

Deferred my place so have a place next year if they run it again so will be watching anxiously for news.

Have also got entry into "priority ballot" for VLM 2011 as I've been rejected twice - that's on 17 April - just hope two events don't clash!image

• Hopefully there will be one next year, roll on 10th April 2011 (if that is the date)
  • Brighton Rocks wrote (see)

I thought that being such a tough thing to do, and given that I saw some people walking after just 3 miles, there would be a huge percentage not finishing. Does anyone know what the normal fall out rate is on such an event?

I was thinking exactly the same, I have done the Great North Run a couple of times and people have been dropping like flies all along the course
  • fat buddha wrote (see)
    Bewl 15 - done it a few times - good race. It's mainly off road but you don't need off-road shoes if it's dry - on 2 occasions it's been over 30C (and humid) which makes it even harder. If it's bucketing down however, you may well be best having some shoes with more traction as it will get pretty muddy in sections. at about 2/3rds of the way around you leave the track and head off on a road stretch to avoid the bird sanctuary which is off-limits to people - be warned that there are some steep hills on this section that will make you work very hard just as you are tiring! then it's back onto the reservoir track to the finish. great cakes at the end as well - worth doing just for them alone! parking can be limited so try to get to Wadhurst early and there is a short 10 min walk to/back from the start/finish line so factor that in as well.
    Thanks FB, that answers a lot of questions I had about my first off road race - I will definatley enter.
  • enjoy - I will be busting my arse in Germany that day doing the 180km bike leg of a relay team at the Roth long distance triathlon...
  • Mark Wilson 27 wrote (see)
    Brighton Rocks wrote (see)

I was thinking exactly the same, I have done the Great North Run a couple of times and people have been dropping like flies all along the course

It's odd isn't it....... Do you think those stats were wrong? Or could there have been some jiggery pokery going on image 

Also, I've kind of not said it cause I didn't want to cause offense, but Iwalking after just 3 miles, what's that all about? I can understand a few people who've pulled up with early injury, but not loads of people just looking tires already

And another thing..... I saw LOADS of people wandering along, chatting happily and enthusiastically to thier friends and family on the phone. One guy I heard say down the phone "Ok well take care, and I'll give you another ring in a bit. 

Now, I THOUGHT about maybe taking a phone just to let my supporters know what time I finally crossed the start and maybe so I could let them know if I pulled up. I didn't but I can understand those who did. But to wander along bold as brass having a chat???? Really? Is that OK? Is that "running" a marathon?

rant over

• Brighton Rocks - I had never run a marathon before but I found ti strange people on the telephone, but wasnt sure if it was normal.

I also found it frustrating in places that were quite narrow that people would run or walk 4 abreast  with no room to pass either side, and them not being aware of people behind them.

• Regarding the stats I don't understand how 12,000 entered but only 7500 ish turned up on the day. I know races have a 10 to 20% drop out rate but thats 37%. Doesn't make sense.

Regarding walkers I adopt a run/power-walk strategy to get me round a marathon. I would have been power-walking within the first 3 miles to get me round in 4 hours 48 minutes, so don't be too hard on the walkers. Although at the latter stages my power-walking is faster than some people can run which always seems wierd! 

• Sunday was my first marathon, and while there were bits I positively hated (hello power station)I think the people of Brighton did us proud. It's thanks to their support that I and many others got round. I'm in for next year and now have a PB to aim for!
  • It's odd isn't it....... Do you think those stats were wrong? Or could there have been some jiggery pokery going on image 

According to the organisers web-site 7589 started and both the web-site and the Brighton Argus give the finish times for 7412 people so there were 177 DNF's.

• Amazing.... Does anyone know what percentage of starters usually finish marathons?

Well maybe it woz the sea air wot done it. Or maybe it woz the B-right-on people, but for whatever reason, well done to all.......

Now..... WHEN CAN WE DO IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! Come on quick quick

My understanding is that VLM entries start the day after the race right?