Sub 3:30 - VLM 2010

Comments

• sorry the news couldn't be better Oompa!... like you say, at least you'll make the start and see what happens from there.

Did the 400 reps as per the schedule today. Ran the reps reasonable hard with 1 min static recoveries and the overall mileage was low - 4.3M. Feel ok now actually - the difference of a good night's sleep... too many restless nights thinking about VLM and other stuff lately.

Enjoy the day out at the expo, all, wish I could meet you there on the weds but will have to be a splash and dash for me on Saturday.

Darkman - that's fast running!... 10 miles in an hour off road - 6min miles. All looking good for a fast time come Sunday.

Jayos: I don't mind a bit of heat unless it's excessively hot... i've never tried to run anything more than a half-mara in 'hot' conditions though. Unless it's excessively hot, i'll continue as planned and since there are water stations at 1 mile intervals (most races - every 3 miles or so) this should help and i'll keep topping up with water regularly. For me, a bit of heat may help me in another way in that it may take my mind off all the niggles i've had recently and give me something else to worry about.  

• Oompa - ditto Lamkjo - just focus on enjoying it and see what happens. I used to be a hurdler and was a regular at John Allen's.

I will be taking a concoction of Paramol and Ibuprofen before I start to hopefully keep the niggles at bay - all tried and tested in training!

Jayos - if its hot, I have just been advised to drink little and often - there will be plenty of water, plus showers to help cool off if it is very hot. I find the forecast changes everytime I look at it!

• Evening all, hope everyone is well and staying injury and virus free.
    Not great news there Oompa but at least you can give it a go- look forward to gearing all about it tomorrow.
    I'm down in London on business at the moment, managed to escape for a run earlier and ran through Hyde park down to embankment and did the last couple of miles of the course. Unfirtunately I have to report that Embankment is actually quite long, that road up from parliment square is also quite long - i'm sure that with the cheering crowds it will feel easy on Sunday!
    Nice evening in London, loads of runners and joggers out - I'm not surewhat the done thing is in London, do runners say hello to each other, give a knowing nod? I started with that attitude but after making a effort to acknowledge the 1st 39 in 1 minute with little response I gave up.
    Off for a well deserved pint now and a lonely meal for 1.
    Looking forward to expo tomorrow and meeting at least s couple of fellow sub 3.30ers.
  • Sorry for the poor spelling in previous post, typing this on my phone and it often replaces words with ones it thinks sound Bettye
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Oompa sorry to  read about your woes, just enjoy the atmos and aim to finish.

Joyos if its hot and I'm praying its not I just hope its not as warm as 2007 which was horrendous, I was aiming for a sub 3hr and settled for 'get to the finish still upright' as it was so hot the medical people treated over 5,000 people for heat related problems.  I have never seen so many people in bits at the side of the road during a marathon, I finished in 4hrs and 3secs and promptly threw up 10 feet after the finish line in full view of the cameras image. Running through the showers didn't help as 100 meters down the road you were dry again.

There are water stations EVERY mile for those who don't know so don't worry about hydration but also DON'T go to every one as drinking too much water can kill you and is worse that being dehydrated.  A fitness instructor died in 2007 through drinking too much water so be aware and just take fluids in the same amount you took during training.

Lamkjo I'm actually aiming for around 3hrs 5min finish time and think thats realistic but sub 3hrs 15mins will be ok, depends on alot of factors some predicable others that can't be predicted like the weather.  In training I've been doing 22 mile long runs and the last one I had loads left in the legs when I had to stop when I got back to the car.

Another 6 mile run tomorrow just to blow the cobwebs off.

• Hi guys,

OOMPA - sorry about your injury woes, incredibly frustrating for you I'm sure.

Did the 400m ints today and actually felt really good, almost normal again post cold.  Waiting for the lead legs to take hold

What time shall we meet tommorrow, half 12 at pasta place or a bit later? I shall be at expo from 1145 ish.

Mel

• Not the best outcome Oompa but at least you can stil run on Sunday, if it's anything as hot as the weather forecasts are suggesting it might be good to have an excuse to have to run slower.

I'm REALLY hoping it's not going to be too hot, Edinburgh last year sounds like London 2007 - I've never seen so many people laid out at the side of the road (although I did walk from 21 miles as I'd well and truly threw in the towel, stitch off too much water, knackered off the 25C heat, target time well and truly gone)

Although I would find it strangely satisfying that, if I did end up throwing up, I DID do it in front of the cameras - show those folks at home just how hard it actually is and be known for months as 'that lass who threw up at the end of VLM'

Just a mere 4 miles done tonight, had a few bursts of speed just for fun and came home feeling fresh as a daisy.

Dan I think it's just big cities with lots of runners where people don't bother - found that in SYdney when I was there last month. It was nice once I was home and running my local routes, getting a friendly 'hello!' from other runners image

• Stay nice and chilled guys,  we can all only control what is controllable,  the weather is out of our hands..........some good tips above re not 'over drinking' on the day.

My advice for hot weather, having also run 2007 & 2009 which were both warm.  Hydrate effectively from Thurs - Sat pm, and then again on Sunday morning,  if you can stomach it then get some sports drink down you on Sunday morning to top up the minerals and likewise in the race, if you're sweating then salt stores may deplete making you more prone to some cramp.   Drink a little from early on before you get thirsty..........also think of those other runners,  rather than taking a sip and chucking the rest of the bottle, offer it to those around you,  it'll help ensure there is enough water for those at the slower end of the field.

Stay in the shade for as long as possible before the start and try to find the shade on the course to get out of the direct sunlight.
    I've only ever run in a cap twice,  both in hot conditions.  2007 I was able to turn the peak round depending where the sun was to shade my face/ neck / ears.   Also if you pour any left over water into your cap before putting it back on your head it seems to help keep your temp. down.

Gentle swim in the morning for me,  then 40mins run at lunch including some 400s and that will do until the weekend I think.

• Good advice Jaffa! Last run for me done this morning image Just an easy 40 mins and a few strides. Although will probably go for a gentle jog Saturday morning just to get the legs moving. Time to plan the diet for the next few days!
  • and...

a very easy 35min run for me today. Outside of my right knee didn't feel quite right when starting off (typical... it was the other knee i'd been having problems with) and I thought... here we go! Pain didn't get any worse and it didn't effect me too much but now it will play on my mind for VLM. As a result today may be my last run as a precaution. Time to start the carb-munchies now.

Great target, Darkman, would be awesome to get a GFA. Guess 3:30 must be a back up for a very bad day and/or some hot weather?

Any thoughts/insights on the expo to those that were there today.

• Went to Expo today to collect race no. and last minute "bits", and the butterflies have definitely kicked in.

Every time i check the weather report for Sunday it seems to be getting hotter... now due to 48C according to some doommongers at Expo !!!

Was hoping to find a Mueller stand there so that i could get a knee strap/support, but to no avail.

Still can't run properly, but am off for another pool session in a bid to be "semi-right" on Sunday.

Good to meet you today Dan, and i hope you had a good journey home.

My running number is 43112 and i'm down as being in Pen 4, but depending on how the recovery goes, may move into pen 3 with you guys.

Melissa, did you go to Expo today? We were at the Pasta party at 12.30 but didn't see or hear from you?

Lastly, the pasta is truly awful... had the chilli one but it may just be me being fussy... i'm half Italian after all !

Can't wait for Sunday, bad knee or not... BRING IT ON !!! 

• DAN and OOMPA - Was there today at half twelve but could not see you guys and was not sure what you look like.  Sadly my phone is not one i can tap into so really sorry I could not get hold of you or find you to meet up.  Would have been great to put names to faces but it was not meant to be.

Am blue start, pen 3 which I thought would be the case - number 12 015.

Oompa hope your knee sees you right by Sun even if it is to hobble round.

Take it easy guys.

Mel

• Just back home from Expo and having spent far too much money.

Good to meet you Oompa, and I have to agree the pasta aint up to much - at least yours was warm!!!

I was seduced by the Saucony offer and ended up with a new pair of trainers and a new bag full of new kit - it was a good deal honest!
    dont think I'll wear the trainers for Sunday but they are good to have for the future.
    Also stocked up on gels and managed to get a massage on these tired legs of mine. All in all a good day out.

It may be last week nerves but my left knee is starting to hurt a little too after last nights run. Why do these things happen now. I probably wont run on it until Sunday so hopefully it will settle down over the next couple of days.

Hope you guys enjoy Expo over the next few days.

Bring on Sunday!
  • Managed to get to expo today was keeping an eye out for a little orange fella, but didn't see him anywhere image

Race number 4283

In pen 5 for some reason so will be moving up on Sunday (can't remember what I put on the form now)

Got a pysio session booked for Friday just to make sure there are no little niggles on the day. I'm sure it's all in the mind image Taper madness.......

Just finished a nice slow 4 mile plod and all is well.

What time is everyone getting there on Sunday?

What's going in your kit bag?

• Dangerous_Dan wrote (see)
    Just back home from Expo and having spent far too much money. Good to meet you Oompa, and I have to agree the pasta aint up to much - at least yours was warm!!! I was seduced by the Saucony offer and ended up with a new pair of trainers and a new bag full of new kit - it was a good deal honest! dont think I'll wear the trainers for Sunday but they are good to have for the future. Also stocked up on gels and managed to get a massage on these tired legs of mine. All in all a good day out. It may be last week nerves but my left knee is starting to hurt a little too after last nights run. Why do these things happen now. I probably wont run on it until Sunday so hopefully it will settle down over the next couple of days. Hope you guys enjoy Expo over the next few days. Bring on Sunday!

What's the Saucony offer Dan?  My OH is after a new pair of trainers and wears Saucony.....I can see tomorrow being an expensive day!

• Sorry i missed you Jayos but as it was mid-week i had to go in disguise to escape from the chocolate factory as Willy is especially strict on absenteeism in the current climate !

Jaffa, the Saucony offer is especially good if you wear their shoes... whatever the price of the shoes that you buy are, you then get the same amount of Saucony clothing etc... for FREE !

• Yes, I was there yesterday and couldn't see a little orange fella either....

What are people's thoughts of the hot weather forecast for Sun? I may be throwing the towel in too early but can't help thinking this could easily cost me 10/15 mins and 3:30 will no longer be attainable image

• I have limited experience of running in the heat. Im just going to give it my best shot, slap on the sun screen, take water little and often and see what happens!

Last year was warmer than expected and I found that comfortable enough...but not sure what the temperature was, may see if google can help!

• Seems I lost the plot and gave you duff information! I am actually on the Green Start. It suggests getting the train to Maze Hill.... does anyone know, will it be ok if I get the train to Blackheath instead? Its just that  I can get a direct train there.

Quite nervous having been to the expo yesterday....hearing that music as you enter was enough to set the butterflies well and truely flying!!

• Bambi,

I'm at Red start but i'm going to Blackheath as well, as i can get a direct train from Bexleyheath which is only 15 mins on the train.

If i go to Maze Hill or Greenwich it's over an hour !!!

I haven't got Butterflies... they're bl**dy great big Tiger Moths !!!!!!!!!!!

• duff information Bambi!... I am disappointed! - however I see Oompa will be starting on Red, so perhaps catch you there (I should be 46652, Sense Orange vest imprinted with JON).

Going by the map of the starts in the VLM mag - it seems that in practice you can access any start from any of the stations but some are nearer and more preferred for the organisers.

May go out for a 2M jog in a bit. Probably not the most sound advice... everyone says, nothing to gain, everything to lose but feel i've gotta test out my right calf/knee and also practice racing in some kit.

Off to London this evening, may have a brief glimpse of the forum later but if not, best of luck on Sunday and look forward to comparing race reports should I not happen to randomly bump into you there.

• I am very nervous/keyed up/anxious/excited about race.

I went out for 3 miles yesterday evening at MP and it really helped calm me down. I intend to do that again today and tomorrow, surely it can't be that bad for you....

• Ditto re race feelingsimage

I however am resting and eating, eating and resting oh and drinking and peeing LOTS.

Am now sick of eating and resting - my neighbour has just gone for a run and am v jealous as it is such a glorious day!.  Anyway resisting temptation and will do a cheeky 2 miler tommorrow with 5 mins marathon pace and thats it.

My first marathon so am still figuring out what works and what doesnt.  I am however following the advice of at this stage you can only do too much and not too little.

Good luck LAMKJO if you do not revisit the site again.

OOMPA and BAMBI - no butterflies or tigermoths for me, mine are racing pigeons - big fat carbo loaded ones! image

• Just got back from the Pysio and so glad I went.... released a nerve, clicked my back, stretched & pulled.....and now................

Feeling ready for anything now! image Bring on Sunday!!

I don't know about you lot but I just can't stop eating. Tuna pasta bake on the menu tonight ham & mushroom taglitelli for tomorrow.

• Sorry Lamjko!... and good luck! And thanks to you and Oompa....Blackheath it is!

Im with you Jayos...eating for England... Im going to have to buy new kit to wear if im not careful! I had tuna pasta bake last night, rice tonight and some sort of pasta bolognese tomorrow.....along with more porridge, hot cross buns, peanut butter and wholemeal bread.... and any of the other recommended foods I can get my hands on!!

As for drinking... I have to go through another office to get to the toilets at work.... they must think I have a serious bladder issue!

And now im very bored of sitting with my feet up...

• Evening all,

Just back from my first run in just over a week just to see what i'm in for come Sunday.

First 500m hurt like hell as every impact felt like my knee was about pop out, but after returning home to try a knee support that i haven't worn for at least 10 years, i stepped back out with obvious trepidation but strangely the longer and faster i ran, the easier and less painful it got???

Not sure if it was the painkillers kicking in, but the support definitely helped although i'm sure that it is going to rub me raw... any tips?

I know it doesn't sound like much, but i ended up running just over 1 mile which has slightly set my mind at ease that i won't have to walk the entire race, and can still run on the knee... albeit drugged up to the eyeballs !!!

So now i will be sporting a rather fetching blue knee support to finish "the look".

• hope it all goes ok for you with the knee Oompa
  • Just on the train on my way down to London, got 4 bottles of water to keep me busy. Will also finish off the Charlie Spedding book for some inspiration and positive thoughts.
    This time tomorrow...
  • Guys am now setting off on my journey to Hammersmith so GOOD LUCK and THANK YOU ALL for the advice and support.

Maybe see you at the finish.

Dont forget to ENJOY it after all the hard graft.

Mel image

• Good luck to everyone too! 

Remember.... “Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.” - Lance Armstrong!