VLM 2010 Survivors

Comments

• Relaxed! - this is the photo

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/200439/Gallery/29494_385046858347_554643347_3849369_6801558_n_0.jpg

• Run To The Beat - 26/9/10
    Suze78
    VikW

Loch Ness Marathon - 3/10/10
    marathonmummy

Cardiff Half - 17/10/10
    MadWelshWoman
    Schmunkee
    Troublesome Knees

Birmingham Half - 24/10/10
    Basil Brush Mk II
    Pinkerbelle

Bedford Half - December '10
    Pinkerbelle
    Sparkly Bridget

• Yep - thats definitely twister without the mat!!!!image
    Suze78
    VikW

marathonmummy

Cardiff Half - 17/10/10
    MadWelshWoman
    Schmunkee
    Troublesome Knees

Basil Brush Mk II
    Pinkerbelle
    Jenni-far-far

Pinkerbelle
    Sparkly Bridget

• Aw..... that photo's one of several moments that made doing the support stand worthwhile, I'm so glad you made it Relaxed.

Thanks Schmunkee you fab womanimage

Run To The Beat - 26/9/10
    Suze78
    VikW

marathonmummy

Cardiff Half - 17/10/10
    MadWelshWoman
    Schmunkee
    Troublesome Knees

Basil Brush Mk II
    Hash (if loads of us are staying over the night before, otherwise it's a bit too far to drive and run in a day)
    Pinkerbelle

Hash
    Pinkerbelle
    Sparkly Bridget

• thanks - I love a list!

and it would be lovely to meet a few people at a race for a change image

• haha X-post and now I'm off the list
  • x post, sorry Jenni

Suze78
    VikW

marathonmummy

Cardiff Half - 17/10/10
    MadWelshWoman
    Schmunkee
    Troublesome Knees

Basil Brush Mk II
    Hash (if loads of us are staying over the night before, otherwise it's a bit too far to drive and run in a day)
    Jenni-far-far
    Pinkerbelle

Hash
    Pinkerbelle
    Sparkly Bridget

• As I thought, my serious arty photos are being used as cheap entertainment for the masses image image

What were you doing?  I just happened to wander along, camera in hand and don't think I stopped to ask.  It's one of those days that makes a photo like that seem normal .... and that's why we love it!!

• Photos are fab!!

Relaxed there is a similar one of me hanging on to Hash for dear life!!

Suze78
    VikW

marathonmummy

Cardiff Half - 17/10/10
    MadWelshWoman
    Schmunkee
    Troublesome Knees

Basil Brush Mk II
    Jenni-far-far
    Pinkerbelle

Rod Goodwin

Hash
    Pinkerbelle
    Sparkly Bridget

Rod Goodwin

Hi all as if by magic I am here, I can stay in Brum the night before even though it is not that far to drive , it will save loads of grief, it was a good event last year not perfect but had good crowd support for a newish race.

• *bounces happily*

Really looks like this is going to work, doesn't it?

• Great idea for a thread Rio/Hash....... can I join please.  

Suze78
    VikW

marathonmummy

Southend 10km - 4/10/10
    Gatton

Cardiff Half - 17/10/10
    MadWelshWoman
    Schmunkee
    Troublesome Knees

Basil Brush Mk II
    Jenni-far-far
    Pinkerbelle
    Rod Goodwin
    Gatton ( & Mrs G as spectator. Will def stay over night and will be first race as a pensioner ) 

Hash
    Pinkerbelle
    Sparkly Bridget
    Rod Goodwin
    Gatton & Mrs G as a spectator

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/t.gif

• Phew  !!!    thanks thought there wouldn't be any room left...
  •  "Only 1 space left at this price" image
  • Ooh, can I play?

Suze78
    VikW
    Berry Nice

marathonmummy

Southend 10km - 4/10/10
    Gatton

Cardiff Half - 17/10/10
    MadWelshWoman
    Schmunkee
    Troublesome Knees

Basil Brush Mk II
    Jenni-far-far
    Pinkerbelle
    Rod Goodwin
    Gatton ( & Mrs G as spectator. Will def stay over night and will be first race as a pensioner ) 

Hash
    Pinkerbelle
    Sparkly Bridget
    Rod Goodwin

• /members/images/192528/Gallery/kimmarathon2010.jpg

Oh, sounds like a plan image

I'm a Virgin Virgin that survived this marathon - JUST!!! Omg , I couldnt get across to mile 17 as the flow of runners so so congested, I was swept away image, then I died at mile 18 and couldnt go on any longer. Swift kick up the ass, severe cramp stop and lots of Lucozade fuel later, I made it to the end!!

Bedford certainly sounds great to me and Birmingham probably does too (got to sort out logistics and stuff on that first) but Bedford is not far so its all good!!

Well done to EVERYONE - I found it so hard but so rewarding! Thanks for starting this thread Rio/Hash - cant wait to meet up again and make some more new friends - what a great idea!

• Pinks - parkrun is always at Willen Lake, assemble outside LA Fitness

MM lives a couple of miles along the road from me.  I know it is a couple of miles to the village because my Garmin says so image

• Pinks, I was just getting to the end of the thread to answer and I see SB has answered for me! image

Am hoping to recruit some extra victims for Loch Ness - my friend who moved to Aberdeen and did FLM in 2006, my other friend who had to miss VLM because of injury and possibly MrMM if he can get his dodgy hip fixed.

Just downloaded the VLM onto Garmin Connect. Can't quite believe mile 1 took me 17 minutes because I was feeling so ill. It's probably the worst run I've had in a long time, but I'm glad I didn't pull out.

• I'd love to join in too?  (if I'm forgiven for totally missing the RW Mile 17 support?!).  Will look at my diary and enter some of these image

I am really keen not to lose this fitness and am looking to do another marathon....

• Suze78 wrote (see)
    Just thought I'd join in the fun on here now.  Thanks for the tip Vik - quite a few photos of me, most of them ghastly.
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/379205/Gallery/image_server.jpg

kimfree wrote (see)
    /members/images/192528/Gallery/kimmarathon2010.jpg

Oh, sounds like a plan image

I'm a Virgin Virgin that survived this marathon - JUST!!! Omg , I couldnt get across to mile 17 as the flow of runners so so congested, I was swept away image, then I died at mile 18 and couldnt go on any longer. Swift kick up the ass, severe cramp stop and lots of Lucozade fuel later, I made it to the end!!

Bedford certainly sounds great to me and Birmingham probably does too (got to sort out logistics and stuff on that first) but Bedford is not far so its all good!!

Well done to EVERYONE - I found it so hard but so rewarding! Thanks for starting this thread Rio/Hash - cant wait to meet up again and make some more new friends - what a great idea!

Good run though Kim, each day I don't feel as bad about how I felt at mile 22 or whatever, me in my infinite wisdom thought that no one could feel how I felt, maybe I was wrong image But my legs were absolutely fine I must say, I was close to keeling over at a couple of points, I doubt if there will be any photos of me at the end as I stopped at the side once I had crossed the line and then sought medical attention., I'm not ashamed of that my health must and always will come first, still it's done now we have nothing to prove to anyone Kim and Suze and all the first timers we now have the experience under our belts image Chinese takeawy Sunday night, Pizza Express last night, Fish and chips /London Pride tonight image I will be back training very soon mind there is more to be done yet.........
  • MM - Pinks and her OH went to the Uni here so she's a proper local really image
  • Excellent re-fuelling Rob, although Blouse is taking issue with the London Pride.  I have explained that there is enough in the world for both of you.  Twinings tomorrow at 5.30am?

Trying hard wrote (see)

I'd love to join in too?  (if I'm forgiven for totally missing the RW Mile 17 support?!).  Will look at my diary and enter some of these image

I am really keen not to lose this fitness and am looking to do another marathon....

Totally forgiven and good to see you over here TH, just pile in to which race you can do.  So how was the 26.2 for you?

• tea sounds good Hash may be a little later though I missed the garage to get my van back so I can't go to work early  image Tell Blouse not to worry I am drinking Ubu made by our local Warwickshire Brewery very nice too image Its great this thread has started we may gather new people along the way too......
  • Tracey033Tracey033 ✭✭✭

just found this I've not looked at my piccies yet  .................

I'm doing the great northern run and my local Brum half - love to know anyone running either

• Just checking in to say I've found this thread image Bedtime now as I have a very early start, but will catch up later xxx
  • Will you accept Shakespeare Survivors too?  I'm up for Birmingham as well and added myself to the list.  Really looking forward to meeting you all.

Curently working in Scotland but will post a pic of myself without dive gear later in the week, so you witness the grim reality of Scuba Runner  image

Suze78
    VikW
    Berry Nice

marathonmummy

Southend 10km - 4/10/10
    Gatton

Cardiff Half - 17/10/10
    MadWelshWoman
    Schmunkee
    Troublesome Knees

Basil Brush Mk II
    Jenni-far-far
    Pinkerbelle
    Rod Goodwin

Scuba Runner

Hash
    Pinkerbelle
    Sparkly Bridget
    Rod Goodwin

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    I am a VLM only just survivor. I will think about Birmingham but Bedford sounds great. I have added Berlin. If anyone does want to do Berlin, i just looked on the website and the normal places have sold out and they have a very few more expensive places (something like 140 euros, with the difference between the normal price and this one going to charity)

Suze78
    VikW
    Berry Nice

Berlin marathon - 26/9/10
    Pip

marathonmummy

Southend 10km - 4/10/10
    Gatton

Cardiff Half - 17/10/10
    MadWelshWoman
    Schmunkee
    Troublesome Knees

Basil Brush Mk II
    Jenni-far-far
    Pinkerbelle
    Rod Goodwin
    Gatton ( & Mrs G as spectator. Will def stay over night and will be first race as a pensioner )

Scuba Runner

Hash
    Pinkerbelle
    Sparkly Bridget
    Rod Goodwin
    Pip
  • Hash!  Thanks so much for asking how it went image   It went pretty well.  I had revised my sub-5 goal to between 5.15 and 5.30 based on the weather.  On the day, though, I wasn't even aware of the weather!  I slowed a lot between miles 18 and 22, but then picked up the pace a little again.  I finished in 5:09:03 - but my garmin (not GPS enabled and always been pretty accurate) tells me I covered 27.22 miles at 11:21/mi pace - which would have amazingly given me my sub-5.  To be honest, I am ecstatic with 5:09:03!  I could barely walk on Monday, but am gradually able to walk down the stairs now!

I am looking forward to my first post-marathon run, and entering some more races.  You have been such a support to so many people, and I am just so sorry I missed you at Mile 17.  I was looking out for you, I promise image