Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

28th April:  this is a 3k pace running session, best done on a track.  If the reps themselves are easy you can make it more difficult by doing the 100m recovery quicker.

30th April:  this is an aerobic power workout and must be done on the track.  The goal here is to hit the pace AND try and run the recovery as quickly as possible.  For this first one an easy run is sufficient but please record the time it takes you (with the goal of as low an average time as possible on the recovery section).  The whole point of this workout is, over the following weeks, to keep the rep pace the same but drive down the time spent running the recovery.  This is a good workout in itself and the ideal transition to longer VO2 max work.

6th May:  spread the strides out throughout the run but don't slow down after each one, continue at the top end of your easy pace.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭
    Stevie G - the Shinfield 10k better be accurate this year; I ran it last year when they ballsed up the measurement (particularly frustrating for me as it's my club who put it on)! It should be fine though as I saw them out measuring it with a wheel this time around. I think it may even have been certified this time too. If the course is similar to last year it's fast.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Thanks Moraghan, I must admit to feeling slightly excited reading through the upcoming weeks!

Knocked off the 14miler today expecting warm weather but getting heavy rain! 14miles in 1hr 48. The very slight tighness you might expect near the end but all round a good run.

I don't do a morning run when I have an evening race , I like to keep fresh, in fact last year I took a half day off work before each of the races! Overkill maybe!

Noted regarding the sessions to be done on a track. 

I've never done a race on a track, but will havea  word with a teen pal of mine who I think holds county records for distances like 3k as to what races exist.

Looking a good week upcoming!

Tmapp,

Thanks mate, read on your site that it's certified so should be good.

I remember thinking something was odd last year when checking a couple of times run by runners I know local to me. When a guy who has been running for 13 years and is 40/41 with a pb of mid 33 beats his pb by 30 seconds when not in top form, something is suspicious!

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Stevie G

Another good run ticked off - well done.  If you're anywhere near Watford they have a fortnightly meeting on a wednesday night which covers nearly all distances and has good depth.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Pretty close actually, over in Wycombe, so that's probably only 20odd miles away, that might be the best fix. Think the younger guy I mentioned earlier has said about Watford before actually.

And reassured me I wouldn't get monstered by loads of super quick types!

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Here you go:

http://www.watfordharriers.org.uk/indexnc.htm

Last year's results are on the left index as well so you can check out the competition.  I do a few of the meets and the 3k's usually start really late.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

had a look through one of the recent 3k races on that link and a local guy who apparently has run for Sri Lanka and did 51mins for the Maidenhead 10miler, only came 3rd! Decent standard then!

Also saw you'd run a decent time as well, racing against yourself would be interesting...though I'd probably get it all wrong and lead the race for 1 lap and then explode!

Couple of nice runs today, 4 and 6 completed. The 6 especially almost felt a shame to end, but that should mean I'm ready to crack the track one tomorrow

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

That's the feeling you're after with regards to tomorrow - you've been averaging 60 miles a week so you're doing well. 

That race sucked - got stranded between two groups and made the mistake of worrying about splits.  I never race 3ks well with a watch on.  There's an outside possibility that I could pace you if our paths cross there as I'll typically be racing an earlier race, but you'd have to put up with my wind.

• Moraghan, notice Steve has started getting strides in his workouts, how often do you advocate doing these 100 metre strides in your weekly training
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Right today, 4m no problems at lunch as usual.

Track session went quite well. Set my garmin to record 0.2m intervals. The track isn;t as easy as it should be to mark the 200m so went off the watch. Unfortunately a bunch of kids showed up for a session right as I was starting, so I kind of used half a track to do the session! Not sure the recoveries were always 100m but if anything they were shorter, not longer.

First look on my garmin showed the splits a lot slower than I remembered, but then I realised that the whole time before stopping the watch was showing rather than just the 200m effort!

Therefore 100% accurate splits as below in order

Set 1   34, 35, 37, 37

Set 2  38, 37, 38, 38

Set 3   37, 36, 36, 31 (!)

Surprised me that 39 seconds for 200m isn't that slow by the time you're doing a few reps. This is where I'd obviously gone wrong before, doing a couple way too fast, and then being shattered after about 4.

Therefore, a good workout,  the 2nd set was the best in terms of hitting the right pace. Rep 4 on Set 3 I think was partially due to a bunch of kids doing an interval in the lanes next to me, and me having to thrash them to not look silly! Also, down to  last rep syndrome!!

Felt like I'd done a session on the recovery couple of miles home, but few hours later no problems.

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    sawney bean wrote (see)
    Moraghan, notice Steve has started getting strides in his workouts, how often do you advocate doing these 100 metre strides in your weekly training

Hi Sawney

Steve is training for the 5k at the moment for which I like to see strides or an equivalent about 3 times a week on average.  So Steve does them before both quality workouts and has the diagonals which is a more organised version.  If he were doing just one quality session I'd add strides to another easy run.

After next week we'll get him on the drills before the diagonals session so he can embarrass hiimself in the park.

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Steve

A couple of things:

-  I suppose the 0.2m included the recovery because that's about 335m.

-  You cannot use the Garmin on a track to measure the distance because it plots every few metres in straight lines and as a result is quite inaccurate on short ovals.  But you were probably close enough as it's just half the track.  There should be markings on the track at the 200m start, none at your track?

Good stuff on the session though.  We'll do more of these at that pace, but will make them progressively more challenging by doing more in a set and / or making the reps longer.  This gets you working at a faster pace and is the forerunner to some tougher vo2 max intervals.  In a few weeks you'll be doing 800m repeats at around this pace.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Sorry...meant to put that 0.2 was in k...so the 200metres of the interval...not 0.2m...whoops!

I then reset the watch for the next interval

Otherwise the reps with the recovery thrown in would have been a lot quicker, and way too fast for what I was attempting!

Noted on the garmin...but yes mostly the 1/2 track, so should be close enough.

The markings are obvious from 200 to 400, but once you've done the 100, you're runn ing 300 to 100 which are less obvious. This probably sounds ridiculous to a track seasoned pro...I've barely run on them!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    ps image to the embarrasing myself in the park. I love to run bare chested too, so that probably does the same trick anyway!
  • MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Ha ha.  When I do these workouts I often jog 50m on way and then back to where I finished to I'm always starting and finishing at 'official places.

Did you not use the split / lap function on the watch?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

When the track was at its busiest I started doing the 50 back and forward thing, makes sense.

For Thursday's session I will definitely use the split function...as the recoveries need to be timed as well.....in hindsight I was making things foolishly more difficult then necessary!

• Moraghan, I already do 3 quality sessions a week and try and mix them so is this the day i include the 4 x 100 metre drills on this day? do i do them before or can i do strides on another day with drills or is that deemed 4 sessions a week!!! thanks in anticipation,
    ps well done Stevie your training looks to be going well!!!!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ta Sawney Bean... 2 races coming up quickly so hopefully some race times to come down....10k monday and 5miler the sunday after (9th).

Be good to do another 10k to wipe the truly awful Hotel Olympia 10k in Feb out of my mind....terribly marshalled, unclear route, non traffic free, running back into oncoming runners, and a few nasty dangerous bits on wet metal paths and floorings, one of which produced a big slip and nicely swollen knee! Good times...and that was 37:03 so hoping for under that at least.

Today, nice 4m and 6miler. The 6 was pretty much either all up woody hilly terrrain or down smooth  hilly roads...so the pace per mile fluctated a lot..but the effort was still in keeping with the "easy" nature of the run.

• bet you do sub 36, where is 10k on monday???
  • MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Sawney

At your age (forgive me!) you already really pushing the envelope of possibility with 3 quality workouts and a long run (unless you are including the long run as a quality session).  If you were in your 20's I might say differently.

In the spirit of hard days hard etc, I would suggest you try and do the drills and strides before the quality workouts otherwise your recovery will be too compromised.

• cheers A, did them on the beach tonight 6 x 80 metres (roughly) and drills on return leg, that was after a pyramid session last night and 13 miles on sunday. Now taking two days off before i do Park Run 5k on Saturday, will do as you say from now on,

quality sessions last week were 3 x 2 miles, 10 x 2mins with 30 secs recovery and 10/6/2 x 120 metres on grass with jog back recovery
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

lunchtime...nice 4m as always.

Evening...I'd say went 90% of the way to being spot on, explanation as to why not 100% in due courseimage

Reps and recoveries as follows

Reps   2:01, 2:02: 2:03, 2:01, 2:03, 2:04, 2:03

Recovs  0:59, 0:57, 1:00, (1min + 0:52), 1:04, 1:03, 1:00

I thought I'd eaten my pasta, Lucozade and fruit nicely by 4 which gave almost 2 hours before I was into the reps. Seems I hadn't, hence, the extra minute "Pit stop" after rep 4!

However, pleased to hit the target pace near enough spot on each rep, and average around 1min for the recoveries. Am quickly realising that 50-60miles a week and 14mile long runs are the easy partimage

Felt like I was working quite hard throughout the session, but again no muscular issues tonight, which must mean it's a spot on session for my current condition!

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Well done Stevie - good pacing.  I'd always try and have pasta 3 hours before a quality session and the fruit a bit closer (assuming it's low GI).

So, apart from the dump you were recovering at about 8:00 mile pace.  That's pretty good.  The progression next time will be to either bring the recovery time down or extend the rep length but maintain that recovery pace (perhaps over a different distance).

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

14miler done tonight...mental challenge on a friday evening!image

Even passed some work colleagues stealing into a pub at 10miles for a leaving do!

Stuck it out for the full 14 including some fair old ups and downs, in 1hr 47.

Rest tomorrow...will be nice!

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

At least you didn't get kebabs thrown at you I suppose.

Two nice easy days to come before the fun starts! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

i was wearing an incredibly ridiculous pair of fluorescent gloves..mostly to keep a mate's ipod safe from the rain after killing my own one last sunday! That got a little abuse.

Yep...2 good races to see where I'm at pace wise.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    5miler done to complete my biggest ever training week. 65miles!
    Nicely spread across the week though unlike I expect the last 60+ week i did was!

Was slightly perturbed when at 8am i did mile 1 in 8:09, but then it was ridiculously heavy rain. The next 4 miles were a bit more sensible in lower easy range pace, with the strides near the end.

Therefore, Shinfield ahoy!
  • MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Good luck tomorrow, race hard - hope the weather's good.

All - we got the mileage up there fairly quickly considering we also introduced some more comprehensive quality.  I wouldn't typically recommend doing both but we had an opportunity to reduce the number of medium effort days, reduced the average pace a fair bit on non-quality days and only added in runs when we were sure Stevie was recovering well (based on his feedback and quality workout performance) so it shouldn't have resulted in too much additional fatigue.  From now on we will probably be training at 65 miles or under, although we will revisit this ceiling every once in a while.

• Good luck tomorrow!
  • mee meepmee meep ✭✭✭

Went for a run this morning and saw that there's a 5m race this morning about half a mile from where i live! Did it last year but haven't seen anything saying it was being ran this year! Looked at their website and there you are, 2nd place!

Anyway good luck at Shinfield!