Heart palpitations WHILE running

Hi I've just come back from a run, and am a bit worried... I know I should go see a doc but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced heart palpitations while exercising? It started at mile 4, so I slowed to a walk, then ran again for another mile until on the slight slope to my house they started up again. Should I be concerned?
I suffer from anemia and low blood pressure (congenital issue) I dont know if this could be the cause... or did I not get enough water? It's hot and humid here today.
P.S. 24 yo female, BMI 21, non smoker with no family history of heart problems

Comments

• i get svt's sometimes when im running too - ive had all the tests and ive been given the all clear. i was told that if you feel ok and there is no shortness of breath or dizziness then to walk or ease down a little but carry on regardless - so i have continued and not have any problems as yet.  im now suffering a stress fracture of my hip so i cant even walk let alone run.

i even bought a garmin HR monitor just so i could keep an eye on my heart rate and things but i do feel that you could become quite easily obsessed with it

• Hi Paula 

have you recently upped your mileage/exercise load? Or had a particuarly exercise-tastic weekend?

When I upped my marathon training I thought I was having a heart attack one morning - it turned out to be a muscular strain in my chest (which is quite common in runners allegedly) - it scared the life outta me and I just needed to rest and its never come back since.

I'm hoping for your sake its just that you've upped your exercise levels too quickly for your fitness level, if you haven't then get to the quacks sharpish.

Adam

• Adam,

Please don't scare the poor girl - read the article in the link.

As an anxiety sufferer I'm probably better versed than you about palps and ectopics which are usually annoying but harmless.  Chest pain from muscular strain and palps feel completely different - you did not feel what Paula feels.

A visit to the doc for an ECG is, however, advisable as a precaution. Given your other issues you might need to take some form of vitamin supplement which the doc can also advise about.  

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

As an anxiety sufferer I'm probably better versed than you about palps and ectopics which are usually annoying but harmless.  Chest pain from muscular strain and palps feel completely different - you did not feel what Paula feels.

and neither did you....I think it is extremely foolish to risk ANY kind of chest pain by not visiting a doctor, why risk your health?
  • I've had palps too when training, it was 9 times out of 10 on speedwork sessions, normally just into the first rep, didn't last very long, and oddly (or not?) didn't register anything unusual on the HRM.

I just put it down to "one of those things" in the end.

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Screamy and Adam, I think you're both right - and both wrong.

Adam, you are correct in pointing out that this needs checking out by a doctor. However, chest ache/pain and palpitations are 2 completely different symptoms with different causes.

Screamy, you are also correct in saying that this could well be due to anxiety - but not always and it should not be dismissed without excluding other causes.

I refer you to one of my favourite websites patient.co.uk and in particular to the section which says

" If the problem is palpitations in a young sportsman during training, it is imperative to get an accurate diagnosis before high-intensity training is resumed."

Paula, please get this checked out - and then come back to tell us it is nothing to worry about!

• wise words slugsta.... 1 person may define the symptoms as a palp or a chest pain, until it is diagnosed who knows what it is.

not worth the risk.

• Screamapillar love the link to explain palpitations - of course people should get themsleves checked out by Doctors. Have had my palpitations put down to my age and the fact that perhaps I was pushing myself to hard and it is my body telling me to ease up a little.