VLM 2010 Survivors

Comments

• Rod, if you can run an easy 6-8 miles and be happy with doing it easy, then do it ... it's all about running how you feel.  I plan to take it easy for a few weeks, still trot around a bit (did 4.5m on Weds, 3m this morning when you lot were all drinking tea...) but not do anything that really pushes myself .. I learned the hard way 2 yrs ago, and ended up injured image.  Have set my sights on a 10k at the start of July, that I know I want to push to PB, so will start some sort of training programme in 3 wks time for that.

And Rod, good luck at the physio .. I'm off to the chiro in a mo, and you've made me think, he did a great job to get me to the start line last week .. think I may go and raid the wine rack before I go, he def. deserves a pat on the back.

• oh and Pinks, I'm more tired than a tired thing.  I really have plodded on regardless this week, haven't rested up at all, even coming home on Sunday night I kept my eyes open for the journey cos I knew Mr Thistle was a tired driver.  There's been no let up, and I've had a crazy amount of work to do, but have been completely ineffective at getting through it as just shattered.  Which means I still have about 30 hrs of work to shift over the weekend.

Hammering down here, glad I got out for my plod in lovely blue skies this morning.

• I really must nip in here first thing for a tea to follow my latte image

I'm about to start a busy week of running:
    Sat - parkrun
    Mon - local 10 mile race
    Tues - Silverstone 10K if there is space left
    Thurs - first of the local summer series, 4.1 miles

Looks busy but in fact I did all bar the parkrun last year.  The 10 miler at 10mm, then was 1 second of my then PB at Silverstone followed by the 4.1 miles at my fastest race pace ever (even quicker than my 5K PB).  Probably make a complete hash of it this year though.

• Is there a way to block myself from looking at the super six post VLM analysis (aka bitch session) thread?????!!!  Gold star to Gladrags for her post though!  Just wish someone could point out to the speedy bods on there that not all 4:30 (ish) runners have weight/health issues and I for one likely put in as many hours (or possibly more) training as they did - I just didn't cover as many miles because I've not been gifted with natural speed/ability.  image

Deep breath....................where is everyone today?

Sparkly that is a great weeks running ahead!

• Pinks should i pop pver and have alook or will it anger me image some more like last night!  I do want to ask them though if they were offered a supersix place would they turn it down......?

You do have a busy week SB!!  I'm back to work today but will try to go for a nice little run tomorrow and on Snday my friend has X Factor audition at the Excel Centre so I might take my trainers as I feel it might be a long day!!!

Hash- I read pix race report last night and was blubbing what a star you are for running with her, how is your knee?  Oh and that comment on her thread made me very angry too!!!

Happy running all!!!

• image Can't get in the sprint tri, they closed entry overnight image Mad with myself for not entering last nightimage

So its cylcle tomorrow and run Sunday.

Just went for a run with dogs.........I didn't think my legs were tired, well they certainly were! Good job I was with the dogs so I could have lots of stops to get them on and off leads!!! image 

Really fed up now I can't enter the triimage

• Vik what was the comment on Pixie's thread??????
  • Relaxed big hugs to you!!!!  Maybe it is meant to be, especially if you are still tired in your legs.  I'm totally exhausted still and feel like I could sleep for weeks!!!
  • some idiot saying he was disappointed at her time- WTF are some people on??
  • Pinkerbelle wrote (see)
    Had a bit of a job waking up this morning......I know this sounds glaringly obvious but does anyone feel really tired - I mean the can't keep your eyes open want to sleep all day and still tired kind of tired?? I just have zero energy and could sleep for England but thank goodness a 3 day weekend.

Pinks you had a load of flying to do us lot at least were here, I would say that would add to the tiredness.

I have actually felt great this week its been busy at work, as my work is physical it has actually gone in my favour to keep on the move.

Thanks HT for the advice I am doing the Parkrun as I have mentioned probably at leat 4 times but I will force myself to go slow, then I will see how I feel.

We must remember that these threads are all peoples opinions which are all different, it happens that on here we all seem to be positive and don't have a go at other peoples ability or otherwise.

Pinks I think it is good to go in that thread, sub 4.30 in my eyes is NOT slow, the average finish time for London I believe is around 4.40. Out of everyone I have met on here Pinks you take your training and running as seriously as anyone so best just ignore those comments.

A phrase from someone older and wiser than me, told to me a long time ago.

"if you have nothing nice to say ,say nothing"  image

Well something like that, we all sometimes say things in the heat of the moment, problem is in these forums it is all written down! I try and read back what I have written before I post, there are many of myposts that have never made it onto here.............

Now I could pass comment about that thread and some of its contributors but I won't image

• Afternoon, only a few hours till three days off - sorry to those who have to work over the Bank Holiday.

I've thrown my toys out of the pram this morning and only just getting round to picking them up.  Just been looking at my official photos and I don't have one of me crossing the finish line which was the one I really wanted.  Child like strop over and back to normal business.

I'm looking forward to having some nice cold pear cider with a curry tonight.image

• Afternoon all. Just reading back, and yes I'm absolutely knackered too. Feel like I could curl up and have a little snooze at any point in the day. I'd been putting it down to the bug I've had, but I suspect it's just post-marathon knackeredness.

Have been avoiding all threads which imply that slow runners are crap. I spent a year training, juggling 4 children and working from home and am very very proud of my medal and my 6:59 finishing time. Next year I'll be faster, but we all have to start somewhere! image This time last year when I ran 20 seconds I had to have a little sit down on a bench to recover then I managed another 20 before I gave up and went home!

If anyone wants to have a read of my marathon tale it's here: www.marathonmummy.com

Now trying to decide if I'm deluded trying to fit in Loch Ness marathon around school summer holidays, and the 11 plus. Husband is keen for me to do it, and is hoping to have a go too. Looks like it'll be a whole family trip to the frozen north for us. image

• Pinkerbelle wrote (see)

Is there a way to block myself from looking at the super six post VLM analysis (aka bitch session) thread?????!!!  Gold star to Gladrags for her post though!  Just wish someone could point out to the speedy bods on there that not all 4:30 (ish) runners have weight/health issues and I for one likely put in as many hours (or possibly more) training as they did - I just didn't cover as many miles because I've not been gifted with natural speed/ability.  image

Deep breath....................where is everyone today?

Sparkly that is a great weeks running ahead!

Um, yep, know what you mean.  I don't think they mean to be patronising, I think it's just a different view of the world, hence the assumption that all slow runners must be slow because of weight or health problems.  In  my case I'm just slow because I don't have much natural ability, and I only discovered running 10 years ago aged 37.  So what, I love it, it's the only sport I've ever enjoyed or been "good" at by my standards, and so long as I'm giving it my best shot, that'll do me fine.

To be fair I think I've been just as guilty of sweeping generalisations and pre-conceptions, just at the other end of the scale, by assuming that the majority of super speedy runners who bang on about stats and times and very little else don't have lives apart from running.  Or much in the way of conversation..... 

Not necessarily the case.   As I discovered from meeting people like Kittenkat, Matchstick Man and JBFAR, nothing could be further from the truth.  But then none of them have ever made me feel like a lesser mortal for being a slow, ploddy runner, absolutely the opposite in fact.

• mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the blog MM - great read! I agree it's a pain when other runners look down on us slower ones image I couldn't run a mile 15 months ago and now I'm a marathoner!!!! Would love to do Loch Ness myself but I need to recover properly before I make any more commitments to races. Am planning my first jog on Monday. With a 8-hour cut-off hopefully you won't any encounters with sweeper vans and paint removal peeps!

I went to club last night and was chatting so some of the coaches and the head coach said that he was impressed that I could be on my feel for five and a half hours! The faster athletes in my club would have finished easily 2 hours ahead of me. Most of them don't even know what it's like to run for 4 hours never mind the kind of times we were out there for! I was watching the VLM highlights on iPlayer last night and those elites made sport seem effortlessly easy and totally different from what it really is. I'd love to be 10 min miling marathons never mind sub-5 minute miling....
  • GladragsGladrags ✭✭✭

afternoon -thought i would stop lurking and join you all - nice to have some company in the post london lull!

That super 6 thread is very odd - a lot of the people who are now slagging the process off wholesale applied and campaigned quite hard to get in? And I really did object to the response to wotsit which implied that anyone who let real life (or wombles) get in the way of their marathon ambitions just wasn't taking it seriously enough! anyhoo - like pinks am going to leave well alone now!

anyhoo - i currently have a 10k planned for late May that I'm determined to get a pb on, and then a half in september...

been for a 4 miler today - but like everyone else, still knackered - slept for 10 hours last night and still tired today!

• I agree with Hash and I have to say that at no time was I made to feel like the fat tw@t at the back.

Faster runners, I think, are mostly baffled by slower runners. We're different animals. Not particularly competitive and happy to be joining in. I think that's an alien concept to faster runners.

But yes, we're different and difference is GOOD. Difference brings a richness to life, colour. It should be celebrated.

• Hashette wrote (see)
    )

To be fair I think I've been just as guilty of sweeping generalisations and pre-conceptions, just at the other end of the scale, by assuming that the majority of super speedy runners who bang on about stats and times and very little else don't have lives apart from running.  Or much in the way of conversation..... 

what about the slower runner in here who bangs on about stats? image
    To give him his due he does bang on about other things tooimage
  • I have to agree with you all about the super six thread. ( I did add my thoughts though )  However the best way is to forget it and continue with the one of the friendly threads............ here,

Suze78   anyone else ....are you doing the Bluewater 10 km June 13th ... If so i will see you there 

• Gatton - I've not signed up for it yet but think I will.  I have done it for the past three years so it would be a shame not to have a full set of t-shirts and medals.

Talking of medals - HT you will be pleased to know that my medal was fine being on its own all day yesterday.

• I'm struggling to resist the temptation to look at that thread!

As I'm sure those of you who have met me in the flesh will confirm I don't have any weight/health issues but sub 4.30 was a real achievement for me.  Like Hash I've never found anyone in person who would put slower runners down, even people who win prizes have been quite happy to advise me.

• Sparkly Bridget wrote (see)

I'm struggling to resist the temptation to look at that thread!

As I'm sure those of you who have met me in the flesh will confirm I don't have any weight/health issues but sub 4.30 was a real achievement for me.  Like Hash I've never found anyone in person who would put slower runners down, even people who win prizes have been quite happy to advise me.

Go on have a look you know you want to image
  • An idea from Pinks and others on our Virgin Lonodn Marathon thread..... your comments

The idea ( cooked up by Trigg and me ) was that we all ( families included  to enjoy the break ) run a race overseas as a weekend or longer break sometime late in 2011. It would mean we could train during the summer. It would give our respectives a thank you for putting up with us.. if we get enough interested we can arrange it ourselves or we can take up a tour from a company ...... waits for reaction from you all....image

Anyone have any ideas where they would like to go....image

have been thinking of Palma and Benidorm as there are half marathons as well....

• Well I found a thread by Fat Buddha that has made me wonder if I do want to do it next year after all but that doesn't have anything about Super 6 so can't be the right one.  Point me at it please someone!

Gatton - my household are already considering a trip stateside next spring so I think that will have to do for me!

• Where do I sign image

Some of our club have done the Benidorm Half they said it was really good and what a nice time they had too.So I would be up for that one for deff.

• Ah, I think I've found it.  Lets see how long before I head back here looking like this image
  • *counts* 1.... 2....3.... you back yet Bridget? image

I gave up reading after the first few posts. Utter drivel!

Antibiotics for my manky toe. I had to wear sandals to work today because it hurts to wear socks/shoes image 

• Hurry back Bridget...................image
  • Lostkat - hope your toe is ok.  I've been suffering terribly with mine.  No matter what the pain is, there is no way I could wear sandles in public - they are way too manky.image

Bridgets been a while in that other thred - I hope she is ok

• Now I love these threads I just only look at them and wonder how it all got to there, everyone however runs for a different reason, I am not  " a serious competitive" athlete but  still want to do my best just like most of us. I guess some of the people who post on these threads have "forcefull personalities", they believe that what they say is correct,being quicker than someone else though doesn't mean you area better person than the plodder.

Am I speaking rubbish, its been a long day image

Do you know there has not been one nasty post on this or Hash's thread to my knowledge.

Do you think we are all too nice? image

Perhaps a lurker will come forward and tell us where we are going wrong! PSML image