VLM 2010 Survivors

Comments

• Feck.  TOTP has me banging on about chickens again.image

• Mitiog, re HR probably be worth doing a max HR test as 220 - age is notoriously unreliable.  It's not pleasant though.  Run a few miles to thoroughly warm up, then 3 minutes flat out, 2-3 mins jog followed by another 3 mis absolutely flat out.  The highest value you record will be your max, probably occur in the second 3 mins sprint.  Oh, and to be really sure its your max doing it up a slight hill is also recomended ! Was nearly sick when I did mine image

That said I got a new max HR by 7 beats as I "sprinted" for the line last week.  Just need to check my Garmin to make sure it's correct.

Thanks for the toenail sympathy!  Mine's just hanging on at the moment and not too painful.  But I want to start running.  What is the advice, put a plaster on to protect it?  Normal or compeed?  Thanks a lot.

• Evening all!!  Happy bank holiday!

I've had a very busy weekend- was supporting my friends at her x factor audition on Sunday (5 hours outside excel centre in the rain before we were allowed in) and consoling boyfriend as Sheffield Wednesday were relegated yesterday!

Managed a proper run today of 4 miles at 9.48mm god knows where the speed has come from maybe its becuase I've had a week off....?  But it was nce to get out to Bushy again and look at all the baby deer oh and I found a tenner while I was trotting along!!!

Hash and Rio (((healing hugs))) although that bruise is very impressive Rio!  Hash my old knee niggle from football still appears when I've been in a car for too long- normally my excuse to stop for a burger image 

Happy Running all

• Scuba - I'd use a normal plaster or a non stick dressing cut to sizeand fixed with micro tape.

Vik - yeah on the tennerimage and will we see you on TV then?

I had another little plod out this afternoon.  Tried out the interval training mode on the garmin, but wasn't very speedy and just walked in the rest periods.  Think I will start to use that a lot more.

• evening all, been up North at Oulton park at British Superbikes, stopped at the travelodge last night so as to be there early and didn't bother taking the laptop as it is a load of dough for hardly any wifi time!

A good day antway even though it took an age to get out afterwards, sounds like you've all been having fun.

trying to decide if I should stay up for VLM ballot or do later, is it from midnight or 0900 or some other time, I havn't checked image

• Hello everyone, Pinks pointed me in this direction, dont mind if i join in do you.

Well ive done 2 marathons now, both London, my last one i did in 4.19,  i have to say having just ran it, i dont think i will bother again, far too crowded.

Am up for doing some more halfs this year, i can do Cardiff, im away but anyone know of any other ones which are on this year,  that they would recommend ???

• Morning all I have put my name in for VLM 2011, I said I would only do the one marathon, welcome Clarkinator I have to agree it was busy but I want to have another shot as the crowd effect got to me a bit, now I know what to expect image

The ballot form was simple, it is actually a good idea not openeing it the day after the event, people have had a chance to think if they really want to do it, sat talking about it and actually running the distance are 2 very different things as we all know.....

• Arhhhhhhhh Rod, hi and thanks i have just gone and done a silly thing and entered again for the London, it was tooo tempting !!!!!

• Hi and welcome Clarkinator

Fingers crossed Rod, see you on the start line

• Morning all - I hope all that want to get into the ballot get in the ballot.  I'm in too!  (Still on the old system with 3 rejections so want to keep that going)

Treated myself to some running shorts yesterday as I overheated in my capris during the VLM.  Also ordered a skort to try out. 

Hi Clarkinator

• Morning all

Good to see you over here Clarki image

Well I tried a little jog yesterday.  It was very slow and painful but 3 miles done.  So not too bad.  Only marginally more uncomfortable today so must be recovering.

Will be going out on the bike this morning as I have errands to run and then have spin tonight

Suze the rejections thing no longer exists any more.  I think because of the numbers of entries it would work out that each year would be filled with the numbers of rejected runners and charities so they have stopped it now

• Hi Rio.........you are the chmpion of the world........image
  • Hi Clarki - great to see you over here!!image

Oh dear I just entered the ballot...............came up as a reminder on my computer so I just had to didn't I??  Won't do a charity place if I don't get in though.

Had a very lazy weekend and didn't run since Saturday but going out for 5 tonight and same again tomorrow.

Rio how is the bruising?  Does if really hurt?  Do you know where you can get those spin DVDs from - tried Amazon but all 'currently unavailable' at the moment and the spin ones are all Region 1/USA.

• Thanks Rob!  image

I have entered too and may do the charity thing if not successful but only because the charity have already offered me a place and have not given me a target again.

Pinks try this website.  They look like they have them instock.  There are loads to choose from now.  To start with I would try maybe one of the aero base builders or something similar.  They are graded so you can see how difficult they are to make choice easier.

• Rio - if you had 2 or more rejections then VLM sent out an email a couple of weeks ago letting you enter the ballot in advance of it opening today.  They also honnor that you have been trying and are still on the 5 rejections and then guarteed entry.

• we are all "habitual offenders" I guess at least one of us may get a place, otherwise its plan B and as with a well known store there is no plan B image
  • Rod Goodwin wrote (see)

Morning all I have put my name in for VLM 2011, I said I would only do the one marathon, welcome Clarkinator I have to agree it was busy but I want to have another shot as the crowd effect got to me a bit, now I know what to expect image

LOL it's the slippery slope...

• I'm in the ballot did it earlier and it was so much easier than last year. Just this ridiculously long wait now. One of the guys from my running club has entered the Robin Hood Marathon, kind of feel oblidged now to keep him company...although he will be 2 hours ahead of me!
  • Just been daft and entered again!!! WHY do we do this??? If i dont make the ballot the charity have offered me a place as I have nearly hit my target, though not sure I want to do that begging again!!!

Time to run again I reckon. Anyone got any good half and full marathon plans they recommend......I used the RW one this year but fancy a change.......

• How much does a charity expect you to raise Mark?

I thought I may run for Diabetes UK I did the GNR for them in 2008 although i had already got a place myself, raised £700 with not too much effort, I think people are only generous every so often which is why I said I would only do the Charity thing once every 3 years that way people don't avoid you!.

Suze, not being too hot on the fashion stakes what is a skort? I think I know is it obvious by the name, I never knew what Capri's were till I came here, "peddle pushers" I would have called them image

I am prepared to be shouted at for being so "lacking in knowledge" image

Anyway s..... it I am going to Silverstone even if it takes me an hour to do the 10K, that will be 3 PB's in 10 days how good is that?

The fact they are are all run on a technicality ( new distances for me) is irrelevant)image

• Suze I knew you had advance access to the ballot but I didn't think they were going to honour anything other than those on 4 rejections already.   My misunderstanding.  I hope you don't need to wait that long!

Mark it gets harder and harder to achieve particularly on consecutive years.  I did it 5 times and to be honest the only reason I think people gave that last time was becuase I did it in the Little Miss Naughty costume for the charity

• Im.Rio wrote (see

Mark it gets harder and harder to achieve particularly on consecutive years.  I did it 5 times and to be honest the only reason I think people gave that last time was becuase I did it in the Little Miss Naughty costume for the charity

well Rio where is the photo lol image
  • Rod.........Bowel & Cancer Research were looking for £1500....some of the smaller ones want about 1250  and some want up 2500 now which is hard work......... I had to work hard this year to get up to that as so many people are on the charity thing now. I wont do another for a couple of years on the charity front. Though the supermarket thing was easy money if you dont mind packing bags all day.....and getting friends to help.

• Mark thanks for that it's sort of about what I expected, I could probably do that to be honest but I would rather have a ballot place. I set myself the challenge when I did GNR of finishing in under 2 hours else I give the donations back, luckily I did it in 1.54 but I was a little concerned image
  • Rod - a skort is a running skirt with shorts underneath.
  • ROD.........GNR is that as busy as London? What about the hilly bits? Support is it good?
  • GNR is more busy than London, not that hilly, support fantastic (although not quite as good as london).....
  • Mark it is busy but not in a lot of places depends on what pace you are running, great support in a different way to London , an uphill part from 3 to 5 no worries the John Reid Road section from mile 8 and a half or so to mile 11 and a half is a good old slog not really bad but respect it thats my advice, then a sharp downhill bit and onto the last mile along the seafront really good support there.

As I have said here before don't get to the start too early else you are on your feet for ages before yuo even run a metre.

I hope you enjoy it I have for the last 2 years but it is not for everyone.

• Suze78 wrote (see)
    Rod - a skort is a running skirt with shorts underneath.
    Got it Suze I thought that but have never heard of such a thing!
  • Im.Rio wrote (see)

The fourth photo down contains a familiar face

And as for that woman three pictures below getting her pom poms out......