VLM 2010 Survivors

Comments

• Good pics Hash..........got any for this year?
  • Hash good photos I am still wondering how I missed the mile 17 merriment image

also having had time to asses the run a couple of Sundays ago I wonder if I actually didn't take on enough water and was suffering from dehydration in the latter stages. the fizz lent me a book "advanced marathoning" ok most of it won't apply to me as I am not fast but thumbing through it I read a bit that said even a slight lack of fluid can cause bad things to happen later on in the run, I am not certain but It would be nice to know, I don't think even I could have stomached another of those gels.

• Thanks Rio I have ordered one and will see how I get on - I'm sure I won't last more than 10 minutes before I collapse in a heap!!

Went to my charity's tea party for the marathoners yesterday and I may have been pursuaded to do Budapest in September!!!  There is a 30k as well as a marathon or you can do the full in relay with a team of 3-5.   Anyone done it? 

• A bit late in the day I know but who has entered and who has still to do ????.... or has a deferral or both ...image

• Hmmm entered the ballot again, what was I thinking of image have I learnt nothing from 09 & 10????

Thinking of an autumn marathon best time would be end of October, the contenders so far are (in no particular order);

Dublin Marathon 25th October

Amsterdam Marathon 17th October

Mallorca Marathon 17th October

Loch Ness Marathon 3rd October

Athens Marathon 31st October

Casablanca Marathon 24th October

Do you know anything about them? Ideally I would like a flat course and fairly warm temperatures.

• Amsterdam is flat flat flat and has a half.
    Athens is hilly hilly after the first 10km until last 5 km
    Mallorca seems good with a half and a 10km as well... a good family weekend away may even do this in 2011.
    others may well have more info about these especially Dublin...

• Mark, yep I've got some really good photos of this year's Mudchute malarky ones on Facebook.  I can't get into it from work but will post up a link when I get home.

Zaba, if you find Tickled Pink in the BB's Kitchen or Runners Arms threads on Clubhouse, she did Loch Ness either last year or the year before so can tell you all about that one.

Pinks, good on you re Budapest.

Rod, from what you've said it could be either that or not enough fuel.  I hit the wall once in training on a 19 mile run and honestly thought a calf muscle had gone pop.  It hadn't, it was just a lack of jelly babies, I was fine the following morning.  Until I experienced it I had no idea how bad it felt, or how convincing a job the brain does of telling you that something muscular is horribly wrong.

Hopefully I've got a deferral to next year Gatton, I'm assuming that guaranteed places for this year can be deferred the same as any others?  I sent the form off in time, anyway

• zaba - I'm afraid Athens is full image

Hash - if they gave you a form then they should honour it!

• Hashette wrote (see)

Zaba, if you find Tickled Pink in the BB's Kitchen or Runners Arms threads on Clubhouse, she did Loch Ness either last year or the year before so can tell you all about that one.

Thanks might try and check with her.

Sparkly Bridget wrote (see)

zaba - I'm afraid Athens is full image

Oh well sounded a bit to hilly, hilly anyways only thought of it because of their jubilee thingy, which might be why they are full anyway image

So the ones left are;

Dublin Marathon 25th October

Amsterdam Marathon 17th October Gatton says; "flat, flat, flat, flat"

Mallorca Marathon 17th October Gatton says; "would be good family weekend"

Do you know anything about them? Ideally I would like a flat course and fairly warm temperatures.

• I'm in the ballot also.  Got in via the priority place thing for rejectees that Suze mentioned.

1st run today since the marathon.  All a bit strange really, I felt directionless - should I run fast, slow, or inbetween!  In the end did a bit of everything, and it felt much harder work than it should have done for the pace.  Oh well, got to start somewhere!

• CafCaf ✭✭
    Hi All
    Interested in what anyone can advise about fast Autumn marathons (or any time between now and then). Really liking the sound of Amsterdam "flat, flat, flat". Had a really disappointing day at London. Was aiming for sub 3:15 and eventually finished in 3:56 (after a 1:35 first half but guts going totally crazy in the second!). Now I'm just a little desperate to prove to myself that I can complete a marathon somewhere in something like my target time (ran my first marathon last year in London but with a chest infection so was a mile off-target then too).
    Any suggestions much appreciated.
    Scuba - you're not the only one feeling like it's harder work than it should be getting back to running - the "speed" session I attempted yesterday definitely made me think that for me further R&R is required!
  • Hi all,  Suze could you let me know how you get on with the skort, i tried them on the other day to run the London in but it felt restricting, i wonder how comfortable they are to actually run in.

Scuba Runner, hi, i felt the same on my first run last week aft the London, i am power walking as well at the mo, so i power walked 7 miles yesterday and ran a very hilly 3 tonight cross country, i must say i am aching from the power walking, it just goes to show the different muscles you use. I plan to do a 3 mile walk tomorrow and then a 6 mile run on thursday, busy busy !!!

I'm eager to book myself in for another race, but not sure what i want to do !!!! 

• I seem to have lost all the lines and boxes on here so everyones posts are merging into one another??!!!

Just did 5 miles but ended up as an interval session with 4 x .5m repeats at sub 8mm pace..............ooooh my leggies ache a bit now!!

And little pinks has hijacked my treadie - he did 20 mins at 9.30 pace and that was after 10 mins bike and 15 mins rowing - don't you just hate it when they do it so effortlessly?!!
  • mitiogmitiog ✭✭✭
    Sorry I missed the Mudchute fun Hash - didn't see you! Thanks for doing it though you're a star!

Scuba, a friend from club is an exercise scientist and she's invited me to her lab for a heart-rate max test and Oxygen uptake (VO2max) test which is done on a treadmill with lots of bits of kit hooked up to me for monitoring purposes. Sounds fun! It's tomorrow eve so I'll post back and let you know how it went...I reckon it's going to HURT!
  • Dublin is nice if you can ignore Americans saying 'Good Jawb'

Had an evening of seeing people tonight.  Lucozade Emma before the race, Kim in the start area and at the finish, Rod cruised past me partway round.  Oh yes ........... and I got a PB image  Watch says 53.57, official might be 53.58 to allow for the time it took to start my watch.  Nice thing is that as that includes however long it took to cross the start line there is a bit more to come image

• clarkinator wrote (see)

Hi all,  Suze could you let me know how you get on with the skort, i tried them on the other day to run the London in but it felt restricting, i wonder how comfortable they are to actually run in.

I ran the LM with a Skort from Sugoi, loved it, not restricting at all and the pocket on the back was in the right place and the right size.

mitiog wrote (see)
    Scuba, a friend from club is an exercise scientist and she's invited me to her lab for a heart-rate max test and Oxygen uptake (VO2max) test which is done on a treadmill with lots of bits of kit hooked up to me for monitoring purposes. Sounds fun! It's tomorrow eve so I'll post back and let you know how it went...I reckon it's going to HURT!

So jealous I want to test HR and VO2 max too image

Atumn marathon update;

Dublin Marathon 25th October Sprakly Bridget says "Dublin is nice if you can ignore Americans saying 'Good Jawb'"

• Florence in late November was nice.  Initial downhill but you never have to go back up.  I was able to wander around with just an extra t-shirt prior to the start and didn't feel cold
  • Helloooo gluttons for punishment image

I also entered the ballot this morning after giving it the old "I'll only ever do one..." chat months ago... I just felt I learnt too much doing my first one to let all those hard-learnt lessons go to waste!

Totally agree about the charity places though; I've raised £2000 (and more to come in) this year and really don't think I could do the same a second year in a row. I think also, once you've done your first, in other people's (non-runners) eyes doing a marathon isn't such a big deal anymore and it becomes just a thing you do...

Mitiog, that test sounds great, look forward to hearing back.

What about alternative spring marathons to London, any nice flat ones? Did anyone on here do the first Brighton? I am LOVING the clear list making going on on this thread, thanks Zaba/List Fairy image

• Hi all, just back from the first race in the East Midlands Grand Prix Series at Silverstone,  my first 10K race.

Firstly it was lovely to see you there Bridget and  Kim plus Emma was there too..

Well whatever I did timewise would be a PB, I hoped for around 54 to 55 minutes.

I actually came home in 50.25 that was my Garmin time, I started from the back of the field there is no mat to cross at the start so I would have lost a few seconds, I soon got inot a steady paceand did the first half in something like 26.20 so the second lap was a lot quicker, I am very happy with that, there is a race in 2 weeks in Bedford, Part of the same series if anyone wants to meet up.

Bridget I hope you got your %k pb and Kim your sub 51, I didn't see you Kim so that means you were either behind me which is unlikely or you went sub 50, if so I would say at a guess 48.10

A good night all things considered I am going to do more of these over the summer to try and get my speed up.

I've seen the pics before Hash but there are some lovely ones there it is such a shame I missed it, dear oh dear image

• well done Bridget and Rod. Kim, hope you had a good run out too.
  • Bridget I am blind great stuff well done on the run image

Must be my age or something image

• gemmabee wrote (see)

What about alternative spring marathons to London, any nice flat ones? Did anyone on here do the first Brighton? I am LOVING the clear list making going on on this thread, thanks Zaba/List Fairy image

I like list but I am not the brilliant Schmunkee, therefore I am copying her original list and adding my autumn list and a new spring marathon list.

Run To The Beat - 26/9/10
    Suze78
    VikW
    Berry Nice

Berlin marathon - 26/9/10
    Pip

Loch Ness Marathon - 3/10/10
    marathonmummy

Southend 10km - 4/10/10
    Gatton

Cardiff Half - 17/10/10
    MadWelshWoman
    Schmunkee
    Troublesome Knees

Birmingham Half - 24/10/10
    Basil Brush Mk II
    Hash (if loads of us are staying over the night before, otherwise it's a bit too far to drive and run in a day)
    Jenni-far-far
    Pinkerbelle
    Rod Goodwin
    Gatton ( & Mrs G as spectator. Will def stay over night and will be first race as a pensioner )
    Scuba Runner

Bedford Half - December '10
    Hash
    Pinkerbelle
    Sparkly Bridget
    Rod Goodwin
    Gatton & Mrs G as a spectator
    Pip

Autumn Marathons

Dublin Marathon 25th October Sprakly Bridget says "Dublin is nice if you can ignore Americans saying 'Good Jawb'"

Florence Marathon 28th November Sparkly Bridget says; "was nice, initial downhill but you never have to go back up"

Spring Marathons

Rotterdam Marathon April supposed to be flat

Hamburg Marathon 24th April  supposed to be flat too

London Marathon April brilliant atmosphere maybe not PB course

More suggestions for spring marathons???

• WOW - well done Rod, Bridget and KIm!!! Fab running! Rod when and where is the Bedford one - I'll join you for sure for that and if you want a cuppa back at mine after? Kim/Bridget same for you.

Mitiog am v jealous about the test that sounds both fascinating and great fun!! Do give us a full report!!

Bridget I like the sound of Florence, tell me more! Budapest is end of September and supposed to be flat other than a few ramps up/down where there are bridges. Cheap Ryan air flights too. Zaba can you add that one to the list? Also anyone doing th St Albans half I think its June.

Anyone got a pic of the skort - I'm intrigued!! Sounds a good way to hide my behind, lol!!!

Hash - have you got the kettle on or have you and Rod finished the pot?!!
  • morning all there was no time for Hash's tea I needed to be out early image

The race at Bedford is on Tuesday 18Th May at Bedford Athletics Stadium, that is the HQ and I think the race takes place nearby it says on traffic free so maybe where we ran before Pinks?

http://mcs.open.ac.uk/mkac/The_EMGP.html

That is the link you can enter on the night I believe we just turned up last night and paid and ran, I feel good this morning and will probably try and do most of the series, it is something different for me and not too time consuming. .

It would be good if a few of us could do it it coincides with a club night but I think I want to do these competetive ones, if I am to get a faster marathon time in the future I need to mix it up a bit more.

How are we all today?

• Rod yes i will def do Bedford and yes its part of the run we did - nice and flat other than where it goes up and over the bypass.  If the Athletic stadium car park is full on the night its easier to park over the road in the cinema car park - Aspects - or at Priory Marina (where we stopped for our first toilet and goody bag stop!).  Its about a 3 0r 4 mile drive from my house - happy to provide cuppa and food after!
  • BTW that was a stonking time Rod!!!
  • Thanks Pinks actually i am pleased with myself as it is only 10 days since I ran London, my problem is I am a a very slow starter and with the shorter distances you don't have so much chance to claw back the time, need to work on getting to speed quickly and staying there rather than having to go for a negative split.

Still all things considered it was a good bit quicker than expected, I will do Parkrun this Saturday again and aim to be perhaps 1 minute quicker and work on a constant pace throughout..

I really enjoyed the whole race thing even though I can never win! image

• Rod i am the same - well I think i am just not meant to be a fast/shorter distance runner so I need to work on speed rather than endurance.  Do you do a good warm up?  Maybe a mile or so easy before you start?
  • Pinkerbelle wrote (see)
    Rod i am the same - well I think i am just not meant to be a fast/shorter distance runner so I need to work on speed rather than endurance.  Do you do a good warm up?  Maybe a mile or so easy before you start?

I sometimes do and the funny thing is when I got my pb for the HM at Bedford last year I did  just under a mile warmup, that and the fact I had not done a race for 5 weeks got me home in sub 1.50.

However from looking at the Advanced Marathoning book plus all the advice on these forums speedwork is vital to get the better times, lsr's get you strong but not always fast, what better way to do the speed than a 5 or 10K race, one thing for sure I overtook more people than overtook me if you see what I mean, thats the advantage of starting at the back, I was flagging a bit at the finish trying to catch my club mate but he was a bit too fast the last quarter of a mile I still did at 7.11 which is good for me. image

I do love the running you know!