VLM 2010 Survivors

Comments

• I've read the same re speedwork - makes sense really as to learn to run fast you have to run fast!  I definitely found it works after the schedule I followed pre the half in December - lots of intervals!! 

I did an interval session with 2 club mates last night.  They're both faster than me so I did have to work hard and I could still feel my legs a bit after the marathon but at the same time it felt good.  Glad when the 4th and last rep was done though!!

Think I'm going to give the parkrun a go this weekend - Sparkly will you be there?

• Thanks for the pics Hash..........sorry I missed you guys at Mudchute, my head was down.......

Anyone doing Amsterdam? Looks interesting and my big boss lives in Amsterdam. Bit near the GNR but might run that past the OH tonight.imageimage

• The Skort has been dispatched so hopefully I will have it by the weekend to test out.

Best go, only popped into have a quick catch up.

• seriously impressed with your times for the 10k .. Rod, *how* fast did you do that last stretch? Don't think my Garmin recognises that pace image

I'm also setting myself the target of a 10k to keep me ticking over for the next while - I've given myself 9 weeks to train though, lots of tempo runs & intervals to come!

Rio, how's the bruise?

oh, and the other thing I've signed up to do is a bike ride (not race) at end September - Palace to Palace. It goes from Buck House to Windsor Castle. It wasn't til I'd signed up and paid my dosh that I got the email telling me that start times are staggered between 6:30 & 7:30am - I'm baffled by the logistics of getting myself, Mr Thistle and 2 bikes to St James' Park for that early on a Sunday morning. Even if we do a travel lodge or something the night before, what on earth do we do with our bikes??!
  • Can someone give me a kick up the backside please. I haven't managed to get out the door since last Sunday. It's getting to be a bit of a mental block now, having had the mara ahead of me all that time, and now feeling a bit aimless.
  • Berry Nice get out there and just run.........its sunny and warm.........get the shorts or skort on and off you go enjoy!!!!!!image KICK!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Berry Nice wrote (see)
    Can someone give me a kick up the backside please. I haven't managed to get out the door since last Sunday. It's getting to be a bit of a mental block now, having had the mara ahead of me all that time, and now feeling a bit aimless.

You got what I got it sounds like, post marathon blues.

I was adviced to find something new to look forward to so I am going to work for a charity 8 weeks in India (donations are more then welcome image )  and then I am looking for a marathon to run in the autumn when I'm back. 

• I always get a post-marathon high that lasts for days - maybe it's all that sugar during the race.
  • Adding Pinkerbelle and Budapest image

Run To The Beat - 26/9/10
    Suze78
    VikW
    Berry Nice

Berlin marathon - 26/9/10
    Pip

Budapest Marathon - 26/9/10

Pinkerbelle

Loch Ness Marathon - 3/10/10
    marathonmummy

Southend 10km - 4/10/10
    Gatton

Cardiff Half - 17/10/10
    MadWelshWoman
    Schmunkee
    Troublesome Knees

Birmingham Half - 24/10/10
    Basil Brush Mk II
    Hash (if loads of us are staying over the night before, otherwise it's a bit too far to drive and run in a day)
    Jenni-far-far
    Pinkerbelle
    Rod Goodwin
    Gatton ( & Mrs G as spectator. Will def stay over night and will be first race as a pensioner )
    Scuba Runner

Bedford Half - December '10
    Hash
    Pinkerbelle
    Sparkly Bridget
    Rod Goodwin
    Gatton & Mrs G as a spectator
    Pip

Autumn Marathons

Dublin Marathon 25th October Sprakly Bridget says "Dublin is nice if you can ignore Americans saying 'Good Jawb'"

Amsterdam Marathon 17th October Gatton says; "flat, flat, flat, flat"

Mallorca Marathon 17th October Gatton says; "would be good family weekend"

Loch Ness Marathon 3rd October

Casablanca Marathon 24th October

Florence Marathon 28th November Sparkly Bridget says; "was nice, initial downhill but you never have to go back up"

Do you know anything about the autumn marathons? Ideally I would like a flat course and fairly warm temperatures.

Spring Marathons

Rotterdam Marathon April supposed to be flat

Hamburg Marathon 24th April supposed to be flat too

London Marathon April brilliant atmosphere maybe not PB course

More suggestions for spring marathons???

• so I have noticed an awfull lot of creme eggs in the shops still, were they all consumed at the support point Hash?  image
  • Pinks - Bedford clashes with my club 5K and in a fit of rebellion I am running it instead of helping.  For our club handicap champs they count any 5K but not the parkruns so I wanted to go after a PB there.

Florence starts up in the Piazzale Michelangelo and then after a very slight uphill start goes back down to the river.  Some of it is scenic while other bits go through housing and there is a bit through a park at around 20 miles that goes on a bit.  You go past the Duomo twice which is stunning and various other landmarks too.  We went out on Friday and came back Tuesday so got some sightseeing in too.  Perfect temperature too.

Venice is end of October (same weekend as Dublin) and i've heard that is flat.

Rod - better to start slowly and finish well than blow up halfway.  You were moving really easily when I passed you.  My mile splits were 8.32, 8.34, 8.53, 8.56 (included moving across to the water, grabbing cup off table and then trying to choke myself), 8.47, 8.42.  Last bit at 8 mm pace.  I really didn't think I could keep the starting pace going the whole way but was pleases that I could pick the pace up again.  Official time is 53.39 

Berry - you need to be warned that Hash and I possess 3 rolling pins for dealing with people who need a little 'encouragement' image

Rest day for me today as I have a 4.1 mile race tomorrow night.  Last year I ran 56.12 at Silverstone and then did this one at 8.34 average pace.  I am very interested  to see what happens tomorrow

• SB you had a good run my splits were (now you have started a stat seesion image)

8.32, 8.18, 8.20, 7.58, 7.37, 7.46, and 0.26 miles @ 7.11 

I didn't really know what I was going to attempt till we started but I figured once I got to 5K which was around 26.15 I could have a bit of a go in the second half, I went well but that 3rd mile of the course was hard hence slightly slower and I slowed in the last bit, I need to order a new HR strap for the garmin as mine went awol at London would have likede to know what my HR was!

Berry Bridget is a dab hand with that rolling pin and so is Hash image

• Yay on the PB sb!!

Just catching up quickly while waiting for dinner to be ready!!  Not really been out running as have a slight teinge in knee but hoping a couple of days rest will sort it out!!

Hash how are you feeling any less sproinky?

Rod- Diabetes want £2000 as I applied for a place as my mum is diabetic and I did my first ever 10k for them and they were fab supportwise and stuff but the marathon team didn't seem as helpful and I'm so glad I didn't recieve a place as that is a high high target!!!

Am going to get a place for brighton on monday if I can get onto the site on monday so I have a back up for next year!!

• Went for a little run tonight and explore of a couple of different routes. Only 3.5 miles but boy did my legs feel heavy and that was hard going!! Probably yesterdays speed session took its toll!

Fitness session and first 'proper' go in the gym!!

Hash where are you? Everything ok - how are the legs??
  • Evening,

Well done on your runs Rod, Bridget and Kim.

Lazy day today, just couldn't be bothered getting my arse out the door!  Given myself a stern talking to, and will hit the road tomorrow with gusto!

Be very interested to hear how mitiog gets on with her test.

• Pinks the skort sounds a dream to cover up what "WOBBLES"image lol, Zaba says they are comfortable, so i am going to look at them again on saturday.

I really need a race to aim for again, i havent got marathon blues like last time, i think it helps if you have running pals that you dont want to let down, so you have to carry on running, but i need a target, having said that i only run for the medals and i could have done a 10k next sunday, but they were only offering a t-shirt lol, what am i like.

Good time Rod for the 10k, amazing when you have only run the London !!

I have done 2 runs now, and last night i only did 3 .5 miles, it was hilly and i have a full cold, legs felt heavy but i felt better for it.

I would love to do the Amsterdam marathon, but maybe next year, this year i am thinking Bristol half and i would love to do the Cheddar half a very small one, but the places go so quickly. I am doing a sunwalk in july in Bristol, 13.1 miles and am trying to fit some power walking in as well, god busy busy !!!!

• Clarky... Tewkesbury half this Sunday give medals to finishers and a goody bag.... Oh and Mrs G and I will be there ...  you can't have everything...lol.
  • Oh and I shall aplogise for my abscence in the next few days we're off to a wedding in Manchester Simon is best man it is traditional Chinese wedding- that'll be an experince!! And optician diagnosed that I have a stigmatism which is why my eyes were sorein lead up to VLM- so struggling with the computer screen until I get my new glasses but shall be lurking on my phone which has bigger text!!

• Zaba/Suze where did you order the skort from?image
  • Ran twice yesterday and then swam a km last night at 9pm then slept well. Wonder what everyones thoughts are on training over the next few weeks. I have nothing much going on until July when I hit the saddle from Gretna to the South Coast and then the GNR in September. Do you carry on running three or four times a week or should I just get on the bike and train on that...........dont want to lose the running fitness but need a programme to stay on it........you guys seem to have races all the time. Not too much happening up in the north of Derbyshire any suggestions for me?

Thanks in advance for your help.

VIKW my daughters speak Mandarin and work with the chinese community in Sheffield......hate the food. Have a good wedding should be interesting.

• Mark I would maybe do the cycling as an ongoing thing and run 4 or 5 times a fortnight? When I trained for the GNR I had a pretty tough schedule probably as hard as for VLM but without the long runs as such.

Have you thought about joining a running club, they will all have some sort of race programmes going on, don't worry about how fast you are most will make you more than welcome.

It was a good thing for me to join, only thing was for the first few months my running ssemed to get worse as I was doing the club nights as fast as I could and getting tired all the time, once over that it has been all good..

Once your cycle ride is done you can push on with GNR training, you will of course be pretty fit anyway .

I don't intend however to take the HM distance lightly as I will be running it a lot faster than London.

This is where the summer 10K races will hopefully help, I am sadly lacking in experience over the shorter distance and intend to put that right.

Parkrun this Saturday with a view to improving on 27.06 last week, I want to try and build it slowly, my aim by the end of June will be to complete in 24.30.

GNR wise I hope to improve on last years 1.58.45 which for me was a pretty poor effort, I ran to HR and felt really comfortable, now I know why image

• Cheers Rod will have a look near us and see what there is, bit rural where I live thats the problem and cant really afford to be driving miles just to run,

What programme did you use for the half Rod? I noticed yesterday how much faster I could go even with my rucksack on coming to work so hopefully that will translate into a quicker time for the half as I was 1 hour 59 last year on a flat course which was admittedly my first road race.  Would like to knock a few minutes off that for the GNR.

The biking is easy at the moment due to the fitness level achieved from all the marathon training. If I could crawl swim I would try a tri but struggling with that. Did a km last night but all breast stroke.......had a few suggestions from a pro swimmer in the pool last night but it will take alot to get my crawl stroke going.

Well done done on your times Rod, keep it up.

• Mark I did RW Smartcoach originally but for last Autumns halfs I just did my own thing, always aimed to do 20 miles per week and long runs up to 10 miles.

I may do a schedule this year but have a good mess with how many miles you do a week and how hard you train to get something you can stick to, if you put a high mileage in it sems to get you running 5 times some weeks!

However to get the good time requires good training, 1.59 for your first road race is very good, also you lose about 6 seconds per mile per year as you get older, so for me to get faster now is going to be hard, I will be happy to keep doing a hm under 2 hours and get to sub 50 minutes for a 10K  and eventually closer to 4 hours for the Marathon, I won't be beating myself up over it however image

Being honest I find running hard but I sort of love the challenge, also meeting such a great bunch of people here keeps me motivated.

• Run To The Beat - 26/9/10
    Suze78
    VikW
    Berry Nice

Pip

Pinkerbelle

marathonmummy

Southend 10km - 4/10/10
    Gatton

Cardiff Half - 17/10/10
    MadWelshWoman
    Schmunkee
    Troublesome Knees

Basil Brush Mk II
    Hash (if loads of us are staying over the night before, otherwise it's a bit too far to drive and run in a day)
    Jenni-far-far
    Pinkerbelle
    Rod Goodwin
    Gatton ( & Mrs G as spectator. Will def stay over night and will be first race as a pensioner )
    Scuba Runner
    Rowant Green

Hash
    Pinkerbelle
    Sparkly Bridget
    Rod Goodwin
    Pip

Autumn Marathons

Dublin Marathon 25th October Sprakly Bridget says "Dublin is nice if you can ignore Americans saying 'Good Jawb'"

Florence Marathon 28th November Sparkly Bridget says; "was nice, initial downhill but you never have to go back up"

Do you know anything about the autumn marathons? Ideally I would like a flat course and fairly warm temperatures.

Spring Marathons

Neolithic Marathon: Start May (week or two after London). Not flat, not crowded, still has chip time/water stations/great support and food and entry to Stonehenge at the end included.

• Impressive List 

Does no one have any work to do? Lives to live? Families to care for? Let me fill my name in now.

Run To The Beat - 26/9/10
    Suze78
    VikW
    Berry Nice

Pip

Pinkerbelle

marathonmummy

Southend 10km - 4/10/10
    Gatton

Cardiff Half - 17/10/10
    MadWelshWoman
    Schmunkee
    Troublesome Knees

Basil Brush Mk II
    Jenni-far-far
    Pinkerbelle
    Rod Goodwin
    Scuba Runner
    Rowant Green

Mark Street possibly???

Hash
    Pinkerbelle
    Sparkly Bridget
    Rod Goodwin
    Pip

Mark Street possibly........

Autumn Marathons

Spring Marathons

Neolithic Marathon: Start May (week or two after London). Not flat, not crowded, still has chip time/water stations/great support and food and entry to Stonehenge at the end included.

• Pinks - I ordered my skort from wiggle.co.uk its the Ron Hills Aspiration.  I get on with that brands capris so hopefully this will be ok too.

I have a similar aim to get quicker over shorter distances so looking to do more interval sessions rather than distance runs.  This should make it easier to fit in at lunch time or after work. 

• MarathonMummy - sure I spotted your pic on one of my running mates' FB pages last night (Lisa AW)?  I'm wondering how you know each other (I'm nosey) and wondering if perhaps you ran VLM for the same charity?

Mark, I'd highly recommend finding a 10k in 6-8 wks time, needed be a huge expensive affair, but with that in mind you can keep your training ticking over with some focus, but not necessarily full focus, allowing you to keep up fitness and do some bike work.  I tend to use SmartCoach on RW website but find the interval/tempo paces far too demanding (read unachievable) so always revise them down a bit. 

• Pinks - My skort is a Sugoi Moxie from Girls Run Too website, am a sucker for colours so went for their Turqouise one image

Might do the Run to the Beat, sounds nice and would fit with a late October marathon.

• HairyThistle good suggestion re the 10k, was offered the one in London by my Charity but its too far to go for a six mile race from here to London.....cant really afford it at the moment. Anybody want to do the London 10k for charity Bowel & Cancer Research I can pass on the details they have three places available. They were asking for about £300 but might lower their sights as struggling to get people to run in it.image
  • Mark Street 2 wrote (see)
    HairyThistle good suggestion re the 10k, was offered the one in London by my Charity but its too far to go for a six mile race from here to London.....cant really afford it at the moment. Anybody want to do the London 10k for charity Bowel & Cancer Research I can pass on the details they have three places available. They were asking for about £300 but might lower their sights as struggling to get people to run in it.image
    Well Mark as they say Charity begins at home, I try and only travel under a 100 miles for a HMnormally, there are plenty around to do, The Brum one should be good this year if they take on board last years niggles. GNR is actually a dear old do so I am still looking at the camping option at South Shields which will save a whole heap of cash. image