The Middle Ground

Comments

• What time did you run Curly?

Well done PRF!

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Hi Sue - slowest winning time at Hull to date - 22:18 (give or take a second)...2 second pb (but on the back of a big speedwork week image). I assume they will update later in the week but currently I am unknown at position 7...
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Well done Curly and PFR on your wins.  I did consider Hull Curly, but we're there tomorrow as BR doing the Beverley 10km.  I will do it at some point though as it does sound like a nice one to do - without the wind though, which never seems to die down in Hull.

Well done Kaysdee too, what time did you do?

Moraghan - that sounds a stressful start to a race!

Curly - I have spikes but I never run my intervals in them, I tend to wear my flats, but might do a few sessions in spikes before I use them in races as they do take a few wears before the legs stop being sore.

I did my longer run today 15 miles on the treadmill.  Now some might think I'm mad and why did I not go outside.  The reason being I did not wake up until 10am!! And there's a folk festival in town so the route I would normally do would have been a pain and to run anywhere flat it would be a drive and I only had limited time, oh and i did not want to do more hills having done a sesson on them last night, so flat, easy surface, staring at the wall treadmill it was.

• 22.22. It's my first real test of speed since Blackpool so it was a bit of a shock to the system! (have only run up to HMP since)

I used to have to run on a TM when my kids were younger (and napped!). I find it so much harder, but needs must sometimes. 10am? Luxury image

• Today proved to me to be a stark reminder of why I tend to restrain myself drinking. After a hard night last night I found myself to be horrendously slow today.
  • parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭
    Thanks for reminding me what I'm going to feel like in the morning, TD! image
  • Urgh. I had an awful long run today. 20 sec/mile slower than I normally am and I didn't do anything differently either the morning or the day before I ran. I didn't feel hungry, tired or ill. I was just plain slow image
  • Sorry! I hate when I have days like that. Anything different in the route? Weather? The wind has been a right pain this weekend.

Sometimes we need a bad run to feel better about the good ones. You still did it, that's what counts.

• Well, it was quite hot, which would certainly make a difference, but I made sure I was hydrated before and during the run.

I'm sure it was just a bad day, but I still hate having them. 

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

One of the reasons I rarely take my time on runs that aren't sessions is to prevent the disappointment of some days being slower on the same routes.  There's so many variables that it's best to just go and run the distance and not worry if a few sec/mile slower. 

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    agree with hilly - i do time mine but just accept some days as rubbish! stopped at 10 miles today because just wasnt in the mood and hate running past the front door to do a 2nd lap when feel like that. still all around a good week...now waiting for delayed train *sigh*
  • I'm certainly not complaining about mileage - did 61 miles this week which is not to be sniffed at. I think it may have been a combination of late nights this last week and a bit of stress recently.

Speaking of stress, I'm off to start revising again image

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Curly - it's a b*mmer when you feel like that, but I'm one that believes there's no point trying to carry on if feeling rubbish.  I used to push on, but they were the days I spent injured more than I spent not!

TD - nice mileage.  I'm around the same this week and really pleased as I've done a race plus 2 quality sessions. 

I can also appreciate the revising 'stress' I'm in the process of completing 2 OU courses for a history degree and it's quite a juggle on top of work and training!  What are you revising for?

• Geography. I'm 2nd year currently so I need to get over 70% to get into honors. Throw in the fact I'm at St Andrews and there's a fair bit of pressure to succeed image

Spare a thought for my mum. She's 51 and ran a 19:29 5k today...

• Great time there by your mother Duckinator, hope she has passed the speedy genes onto you!

I gave up studying after passing all my profession related ones years ago, I had had enough by then as I seemed to have been studying forever! I am Chair of Governors at my kids school though which takes up an extraordinary amount of time, I have to be pretty disciplined with that otherwise it takes over somewhat. Although, it is SATs next week so that means they will be too busy to hassle me too much hopefully!

I had a nice run today. Just 60 minutes but it was off road and through the woods over hilly ground. This is the best I have felt after a marathon (apart from a sore knee) and I am wondering whether the 'softly, softly' approach fits me best, I have taken it very slowly this time but my legs are very strong. I need to do some speed work now I think after another week of steady running.

Mentally, I feel fresh and enthused about running too, usually I struggle with focus for months afterwards.

How does everyone else treat the initial weeks after racing a marathon?

Edit - how did BR get on today Hilly?

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭

Generally if you don't have any runs / days / short periods where your easy paces get a bit slower and you feel more tired you could probably be doing a bit more training.  Personally I'd be more concerned if I always felt great rather than if I didn't always feel great.

Being an old fart of course I haven't felt truly great for about 15 years apart from one day in 2001 before a road mile race. 

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

TD - well done to your mum.  Which 5k did she do?

I have to admit to rarely feeling great in training during training in the working week, although I do seem to feel much fresher on the weekends and can do back to back long runs if need be.

• Beverley 10k was ok - 35:11.  3rd V40.  Legs feeling quite heavy now after 4 races in the last week and a half. I'll ease back on the Weds race this week as it's just a case of posting a 30 min 5 miler to make sure the 2nd claim club wins the local league.

PRF / Curly - was the Hull Parkrun flat and did anyone Garmin it as the correct distance?  Is it laps?  Where do they meet afterwards?

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Well done on the race BR - coming 3rd with heavy legs is a good sign!

Yes it is flat, cant possibly comment on length, its 2 laps and a little bit - some lovely sweeping corners in there. They open the cafe in the park specially for the runners - its nice image

• parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭

BR - Nice 10K there. That backs up the midweek 16:58 5K nicely.

Just think how quick you'll be if you cut back on the bacon sarnies.  image

'Did anyone Garmin the correct distance' - That delivered my first chuckle of the week! image

Have to agree with Moraghan re the feeling tired thing. It should give a rather satisfying feeling to have to really slow down a steady run, it generally means that you've got some adaptation benefits on the way.

• Duck, wow, that is an impressive time!

BR, a nice solid week.

Bacon sarnies with brown sauce, yum image.

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

I am tired today (train was an hour late so only had about 7 hours sleep)...looking forward to my easy week consisting of:

10k tonight, 8 miles tues, 10 miles weds (with 4 at MP tempo), 10k Thurs and possible 10k Fri, parkrun sat and 16 miles on Sunday... so still big mileage but no interval session to help me recover from the first 5 weeks of hard stuff. Then after that I may re-work my paces for the rest of the plan depending on how tired I am.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

7 hours - you lucky thingimage

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭
    Hahahaha thats nothing - I regularly sleep for 10 hours and have been known to have up to 16...I reckon I could sleep for longer but people always wake me after that!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Our sleep is between 6 and 7 most days with the occasional longer.  Have to admit to not waking until 10am on Saturday morning though, which was a good 10 hours, but then it was only about 3 hours on election night!
  • MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    At least 8 - 10 hours a night and between 37 minutes and 2 hours after lunch for me.  I've become quite good at sleeping actually. 
  • Well done to your mum Duckinator!! Did you get your interest for running from her?

Well done Curly45 and parkrunfun on your wins.

Sue C having only done one marathon not much to tell. I followed the Hal Higdon post marathon schedule for intermediate runners, worked brilliantly, recovered quickly and had some nice pbs to follow.

Agree 7 hours sleep is luxuryimage

Well done on the races BR, think I'd have heavy legs too!

Feeling bit better, took the decision not to do Halstead which wasn't easy image Positives are, one of the reasons I decided to do a marathon was to give me an incentive to increase my mileage and the length of my long runs, achieved, plus no marathon recovery neededimage

Have looked at a couple of halfs coming up and will probably aim for one of these to give me an idea of where I'm at. Last proper race was end of last year, have done a few parkruns but not as full out efforts so am keen to get a proper marker.

• I did get the bug off of her - I kind of dabbled with running when she was marathon training back in '05 but it never really clicked with me until '08. She used to be a track runner at school so she's probably got the speed rather than the endurance. She reckons she's got a bit more potential to unlock yet though...
  • RatzerRatzer ✭✭✭

Dickinator's Mom is quick!

7 hours sleep is something I only get with a Sunday morning lie-in.  During the week that's almost impossible, not because the time isn't available, but because I simply don't seem to sleep that long.  What I wouldn't give for Moraghan's 37 mins after lunch!  image

Didn't race on Sunday.  Proved wise as whatever had been ailing me decided to leave my body that morning.  I won't go any further on that one.

So can anyone answer the question as to whether it is time or distance that improves endurance?  Slower runners who then run slow miles can't hope to equal the distance of faster runners running their slow miles across the same time.  Slower runners, assuming they are simply less experienced, fit, trained, etc, should be able to make greater proportional gains than the faster runners.  In order to close the gap most quickly, should the slower runners run for longer (not necessarily as far), or further (which in one run would be a lot longer!)?

Further would always seem to me to take too much time out of my life.  But I do want to catch up with the quick guys!

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Sorry about the marathon Zion - its always hard to DNS in one - but it sounds as if you couldnt give it your all anyway - a very fair decision I think...

(now I would normally be asleep at this time, but sadly my upstairs neighbours seem to have discovered singstarimage )