VLM 2010 Survivors

Comments

• HT - I tried to do hill reps once on a steep hill in town to get a max HR but abandoned the effort.  Most of the routes that I do are at least what I would call undulating and some have some decent hills too.  I also find sometimes that what is undulating in one direction is hilly in the other.  My classification of hills can also depend on how I am feeling!

Having said that last time I ran South Downs I had done nothing different to prepare.  In fact I had a week off after running London with a chest infection and then did long runs of 11, 12, 12, 14, 16, 10 and 13.1.  The mara took me 5.25 but the only time I really suffered was the latter bit where we had road and it was hard on my feet/legs.  

Why not look for some longer races that you could do as long runs that have hills, that's a good way of justifying travelling to do a LSR.

• Yay Lostkat's backimage  Welcome back and good luck with tomorrow's five miler.  It's not easy giving race numbers away, but sounds like you did the right thing.  Now the pressure of VLM's off so you can just do what you feel without a tyrant schedule telling you what to do, so just relax and enjoy.

Bridget that really is quite, er, undulatingimage

Wow Jenni - Windermere so soon after your last marathon!  I bet the views will be stunning, hope you have a great day

Rod you're dead right about planning forward, I've been musing over that one.  Injuries aren't an on/off, they're a slow continuum from bench to better.  So someone remind me of that if I start aiming for 100 miles a month again!

Pinks I think that comment about the Danish Camp has pretty much sold me, I remember looking at the track when I laid the water stash and imagining how lovely it would be to run down it.  Sounds like the perfect place to put it all behind me and run forwards into a fresh new year.

• Not sleeping again Hash? I should have popped on for a natter..........hubby away 3 nights and have a new bed so its all keeping me awake!!
  • Oh dear, hope you feel okay later on Pinks.  Not that it's much comfort to know but you do get used to isomnia, it's just one of those things that my body does - an internal alarm goes off at 3am, and it's better to get up and read or mess about on here until I'm tired than lie there composing e-mails.  If I can get back off again for an hour it's not too bad, but on Mondays thankfully it doesn't matter too much if I feel like I'm wearing moon boots as the boss isn't in.

Speaking of Monday, time to go and write the e-mails for real..  Have good days, all

• Morning all, Hash you were up very early image  and you too pinks!

I had a lie in today as it was a 5 am up yesterday for work.

I think it is always good to plan ahead for certain things, I also like the last minute entry to races too such as the Silverstone 10K and Rugby / Bedford etc.

The last couple of years I have done an autumn load of HM's but this year will be more selective I think, I want to do that Spitfire 20 in October though plus Birmingham and maybe 1 more HM..

I think this week it will be the club tomorrow, Rugby 6 Wednesday and  possibly a 10 mile LSR on Sunday.

Now that VLM is out of the way I think my LSR's will have to be changed to 9.30mm if I am going to do a faster marathon next time......

• Good running Rod...........

I was up at 3.15 this morning, forgot to shut the black out blind on the Velux window and lay there till the birds sang then got up........Monday .........y Mondays eh.

• Afternoon all.  Managed to get out for 4 miles on Sunday morning.  Gave the skort it's first test run.  Overall i'm very pleased with it, got a few strange looks from several dog walkers but think that was down to my very pales legs rather than my running gear.  It was just like wearing a pair of cycling shorts, the skirt didn't get tangled, in fact I didn't really notice anything different at all.

Hopefully I will fit a few lunch times runs in this week to get the milage up a bit.

• fat buddha wrote (see)
    just a heads up if anyone is thinking of doing Brighton Marathon next year, get your entry in quick as places are going pretty rapid and use this link to enter as the one via the BM website is not responding as it's overloaded!! http://www.regonline.com/Checkin.asp?EventId=859050
    I have just entered
  • HALF MARATHONS (IN DATE ORDER)

Run To The Beat - 26/9/10
    Suze78
    VikW
    Berry Nice

Cardiff Half - 17/10/10
    MadWelshWoman
    Schmunkee
    Troublesome Knees

Birmingham Half - 24/10/10
    Basil Brush Mk II
    Hash (if loads of us are staying over the night before, otherwise it's a bit too far to drive and run in a day)
    Jenni-far-far
    Pinkerbelle
    Rod Goodwin
    Gatton ( & Mrs G as spectator. Will def stay over night and will be first race as a pensioner )
    Scuba Runner
    Rowant Green
    Mark Street possibly???

Bedford Half - December '10
    Hash
    Pinkerbelle
    Sparkly Bridget
    Rod Goodwin
    Gatton & Mrs G as a spectator
    Pip
    Mark Street possibly........

Wokingham Half - 13/02/2011
    Schmunkee (it's mah burfday)

MARATHONS (IN DATE ORDER)

Berlin Marathon - 26/9/10
    Pip

Budapest Marathon - 26/9/10
    Pinkerbelle

Loch Ness Marathon - 3/10/10
    marathonmummy

Brighton Marathon – 10/04/11
    Schmunkee

NOTES OF INTEREST SURROUNDING OTHER HALFs AND MARATHONS

Autumn Marathons
    Dublin Marathon 25th October Sprakly Bridget says "Dublin is nice if you can ignore Americans saying 'Good Jawb'"

Amsterdam Marathon 17th October Gatton says; "flat, flat, flat, flat"

Mallorca Marathon 17th October Gatton says; "would be good family weekend"

Loch Ness Marathon 3rd October jules4040 says; “I loved the actual run, quite hilly at the start and Inverness itself is pretty rough to be honest.”

Casablanca Marathon 24th October New York 7th November jules4040 says; “New York and the crowd and atmosphere is amazing”

Florence Marathon 28th November Sparkly Bridget says; "was nice, initial downhill but you never have to go back up" jules4040; “lots of flag stones in the later stages”

Spring Marathons
    Rotterdam Marathon April supposed to be flatH

amburg Marathon 24th April supposed to be flat too

London Marathon April brilliant atmosphere maybe not PB course

Neolithic Marathon: Start May (week or two after London). Not flat, not crowded, still has chip time/water stations/great support and food and entry to Stonehenge at the end included

Edinburgh Marathon Late May

• Schmunkee, I'm not wanting to mess your beautifully formatted list.  Pls could you add in Snowdonia Marathon / Marathon Eryri - it's on 30th October, and in a moment of madness/post VLM blurr I entered image
  • HALF MARATHONS (IN DATE ORDER)

Run To The Beat - 26/9/10
    Suze78
    VikW
    Berry Nice

Cardiff Half - 17/10/10
    MadWelshWoman
    Schmunkee
    Troublesome Knees

Birmingham Half - 24/10/10
    Basil Brush Mk II
    Hash (if loads of us are staying over the night before, otherwise it's a bit too far to drive and run in a day)
    Jenni-far-far
    Pinkerbelle
    Rod Goodwin
    Gatton ( & Mrs G as spectator. Will def stay over night and will be first race as a pensioner )
    Scuba Runner
    Rowant Green
    Mark Street possibly???

Bedford Half - December '10
    Hash
    Pinkerbelle
    Sparkly Bridget
    Rod Goodwin
    Gatton & Mrs G as a spectator
    Pip
    Mark Street possibly........

Wokingham Half - 13/02/2011
    Schmunkee (it's mah burfday)

MARATHONS (IN DATE ORDER)

Berlin Marathon - 26/9/10
    Pip

Budapest Marathon - 26/9/10
    Pinkerbelle

Loch Ness Marathon - 3/10/10
    marathonmummy

Snowdonia Marathon - 30/10/10
    Hairy Thistle

Brighton Marathon – 10/04/11
    Schmunkee

NOTES OF INTEREST SURROUNDING OTHER HALFs AND MARATHONS

Autumn Marathons
    Dublin Marathon 25th October Sprakly Bridget says "Dublin is nice if you can ignore Americans saying 'Good Jawb'"

Amsterdam Marathon 17th October Gatton says; "flat, flat, flat, flat"

Mallorca Marathon 17th October Gatton says; "would be good family weekend"

Loch Ness Marathon 3rd October jules4040 says; “I loved the actual run, quite hilly at the start and Inverness itself is pretty rough to be honest.”

Casablanca Marathon 24th October New York 7th November jules4040 says; “New York and the crowd and atmosphere is amazing”

Florence Marathon 28th November Sparkly Bridget says; "was nice, initial downhill but you never have to go back up" jules4040; “lots of flag stones in the later stages”

Spring Marathons
    Rotterdam Marathon April supposed to be flatH

amburg Marathon 24th April supposed to be flat too

London Marathon April brilliant atmosphere maybe not PB course

Neolithic Marathon: Start May (week or two after London). Not flat, not crowded, still has chip time/water stations/great support and food and entry to Stonehenge at the end included

Edinburgh Marathon Late May

• now feeling v sleepy so off for bath and early night in a min.

Did an easy paced 6 miles tonight but legs still heavy - probably lack of sleep/work stress/new bed hasn't helped much though!

So who is doing the Bedford 6 next Tuesday??? (pssst............its Hash's Birthday!!)
  • Pinkerbelle wrote (see)
     So who is doing the Bedford 6 next Tuesday??? (pssst............its Hash's Birthday!!)

>>>>bounce<<<<imageimageimage

Okay, so anyone who does this has to have a beer at the end with me, it's hasher's law.  I'm driving too, so only the one, but this is important.  Here's to catharsisimage 

I know it seems a bit sad to spend my birthday that way, but the family curry can happen any time, and to run along that gorgeous track that I limped down pre VLM tto lay the water stash for people on my thread doing a 20 miler will be the best birthday present I could have wished for a few months ago.

Food's ready so will read back properly later.  Had a mental day (what's new) but productive, so somehow finally flopping down after 15 hours straight is okay

• I have just been very serious and gone and run the route of next weeks 5K so I know where to push image
  • PS where's Rio?  Wibble....
  • evening all indeed where is Rio........

Bridget thats not a bad move to run the route that way you will know.

Hash 100 % I will have the beer after it will be the one I never had at Chandos image

Hope everyone has had a good day.

• Evenin' all. Hot chocolate anyone?

Didn't get my run tonight after all. Hard day (work still horrendous) and then the OH wanted to go to B&Q to get a drill (which he won't use until the weekend, so I've no idea why it had to be tonight but hey ho), so by the time we got home it was time to cook tea. I have a much-needed sports massage tomorrow. My calves are super tight, so it's for the best really.

Should be good to go for a little trot on Weds, then running club (HORRAAAAAY!!!) on Friday and a longish run on Sunday. Looking forward to getting back into my groove, but it feels really odd not having much to train for.

Can I chuck some more marathons into the pot in case anyone's interested?

10/10/10 - Leicester Marathon
    07/11/10 - Rutland Water Marathon

08/08/10 - Newark Half Marathon
    28/11/10 - Clowne Half Marathon
    12/12/10 - Keyworth Turkey Trot (HM)

That's very dedicated of you Bridget!! Are you hoping for a nice juicy PB?

Sweet dreams Pink image 

• That's the idea LK although it could go t*ts up of course. 
  • Hi everyone! Could you add my name to the Brighton Marathon. Entered this evening image
  • Off to do half an hour on the cross trainer, sod trying to sleep!! See you in a bit for that cuppa Hash?Rod!!
  • Morning. Freshly brewed cuppa anyone?

Have fun Pink! I'd like to get back to a time where I'm not getting up so stupidly early that I do actually have time for run in the morning. Looks like it's going to be a nice day image

• morning all Pinks I see the new bed has done the trick image

Lostkat my whole training thing has changed, a couple of years ago my training for GNR was pretty intense and I was pretty serious so on a THursday it was tempo or speedwork, I always did it earlyish (around 6.30) .I sort of miss that now but you can only do what is possible at the time.

A week on Sunday I have an early run in the form of half a 10 mile leg of  a 100 mile relay race called the hilly 100, my 5 miles is around 6.20 am.

The reason for this is I want to run the Coventry HM afterwards, tell me I'm not mad folks, it's part of my new "toughen up" programme, I don't expect a great time for the HM as I need to run well for the club but I would have thought 2.05 is possible, I hope it doesn't end in tearsimage

• Morning all

Thanks for the tea, Pinks, lifesaving. Birds got their megaphones out at just after 4am, I've been pretending to sleep whilst fantasising about wrapping elastic bands around their beaks ever since!
  • I do think you're mad Rod, but see the 5 miler as a warm up image I'm sure that 2:05 is more than achievable!

Hash, I don't tend to get woken up by the birds. However the cat does, and comes and stands on my chest, purring at full volume into my face. "FEEEEEEEEEEED MEEEEEEEEEE". Little cherub *throttle*

Feel like I've had a proper lie in this morn. Got up at 5:30. I've been getting up at 4:15 for the past couple of weeks. The mayhem is calming down now though image

• Hope it's calmer for you today Loskat, what's happening at work, assuming you can put it on here? 

Rod, I know I tend to be a bit on the cautious side, but what sort of distances have you been running recently?  You know what your body can do better than anyone else, but I'd be nervous about doing 18 in one day if you've been doing much shorter runs since VLM.  Also having a break of a few hours in the middle would mean running the half on legs that would have swollen up a bit in between, but that might be just me. Besides you've got a more active job than me, so you're much more used to being on your feet a lot

Gaaah sorry I hate to be a pessimist, but on the other hand don't want to see you back on the bench

• Morning all, anything left in the pot?

I'm back on the bench for a few dayimage Must have slept funny as I've twisted my neck and anything but looking forward hurts.

• afternoon all from the lightweight in SWales, I didn't rise til 6:40, that'd have been when Lil Thistle piled into my room yelling "mum, can we go for a run before school". What HAVE I started?

Rio alive and well, (I hope she doesn't mind me saying), bruise healing nicely, and tho sore able to run fast enough to not let her group members overtake image

Mr Thistle late home from work last night, and in my haste to get to club before they all set off I hared down the garden, only to go flying ... I look like I've been in a playground brawl, and the duvet hurt my poor grazed knees!
  • Oh no HT not you bruised up too??  Is it something in the water over there with you and Rio both sporting injuries?

Lostkat - great cuppa thanks!  I've had three today already!! Well one of those was at silly o'clock.  Really enjoyed the cross trainer although I have no idea what I am doing yet and only had a brief glance through the instruction manual last night - its so complicated!!  Rod/Hash do you use a set programme on it or just increase the resistance/up the levels gradually or what?  I did 20 minutes on it pretty much same level but alternating 1 minute easy and 1 minute fast and then did same on the spin bike for 10 mins.  Also there seem to be so many positions for your hands/arms?!! 

• Hi all, Pinks my limited experience of the x trainer is that I used the "reverse" programme at the one in the gym. I really thought it was a gimmick for people who never got a sweat on but in fact it is really good, seems to get the HR up and attends to different muscles too, if it were me I would just have a play around and see how you go, different exercises dependant on what running you have done.

I found it excellent after a long run be it race or LSR it is what suits you really.You are a determined person so I would say that the gear you have bought will get good use and not end up on ebay in 3 months, I think its great you have such a commitment and am sure it will pay dividends in a few months with ypur race times image

Hash it's great to hear your thoughts on my double run. I appreciate any concern.

How I see it is this. This week I have a run tonight 7 or 8, the 6 mile tomorrow and then Friday a short one maybe 2.5 miles. Sunday will be a 10 mile LSR  which will be a tester to how I feel.

Next week is Bedford 6 on the Tuesday club race on the Thursday and then a rest till the Sunday.

My 5 miler is at around 6.20 ending around 7.05. Then drive home a quick shower and off to Coventry for a 9.30 start. If for any reason I feel not right I won't do it it simple as that. It's been 2 weeks since London and I feel absolutely Brilliant, now but all that could change in which case  this post will be irrelevant anyway..

It is a small chellenge which will keep me motivated, I thought about doing a 10 mile leg in the relay but in my heart of hearts that would be too much! I now need to see if I can get an entry in Coventry.

Whatever happens I will be running Bedford on the 18th image

• An owl woke me at 2.45 this morning,,,,,,crazy we all woke up due to it, must have been outside the window..............managed to go back to sleep.

Did a nice 4.73 miles run this morning and in true Rod stylee here are my splits.

8.22 and finally

7.29 steaming down to the office with a little jog at the end. That last mile was slightly down hill but very pleased with myself.

Trying not to enter Brighton as not sure I could persuade my OH to come with me to Brighton and the London if I can in through the ballot. The odds are good I guess 3/1 is it?

Dont overdo it Rod................image