ACHILLES INJURY....

I know there are some seriously experienced runners on here and I need some of your opinions/advice, please.

Training has gone pretty well up to yesterday when I had to pull out of a half-marathon with a pretty bad achilles injury. It's seriously affecting my walking today so running is out of the question. Will get to see physio asap but suspect I will not be doing any serious running for a couple of weeks minimum.

I have been running 4 times a week since beginning February and at weekends have completed LSRs of 3x15, 2x18 and 1x20 plus a half-marathon PB. The 20 was run on 17 April - 5 weeks from Edinburgh. This will be my 8th marathon if I get there.

The question is if I can get my leg right how will the lack of running affect my fitness with no time left to do anything about it?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭

Gold,
    I hate to be depressing but I am a runner of 35 years and have experienced my share of injuries. A bad AT injury, no correct that, any AT irritation is serious. The inflamation can linger for long after the AT has healed.

I am currently struggling with an AT injury and have been for the last 5 months. The original sharper pains that affected me walking and in the morning going down stairs took a few weeks to subside but I have been left with a residue soreness that just doesn't want to go away. I am getting lots of physio but it still lingers. I can run but the heel feels sore. It responds to icing afterwards but it is still there.

Unless your AT quickly clears up COMPLETELY I would say it is very risky to consider a marathon.

As to your question, probably not a lot, speed is the first to go but your endurance will be intact.

Mick

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your input and time, Mick, much appreciated.
  • Goldeagle, someone on here suggested putting your foot, in alternating buckets of ice and hot water for short spells,10 secs I think, although I was doing it for about 30.
    I've been doing this for the last couple of weeks for about 10 mins at a time, it really worked.
    I have been suffering with a sore achilies for quite a while.
    I ran a marathon yesterday image

Good luck
  • Oh, I hope you stay up by the way, I'm a villa fan.
  • GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭
    Madlot, many thanks for response. I'm seeing physio first thing in the morning so hopefully I'll get some sort of prognosis on recovery time.

We are officially safe now so we can look forward (if that's the right expression) to lots of West Mids derbies next season.
  • Hi,

I too have suffered with achilles injuries.

I have had all the classic symptoms, stiff in the mornings, especially down the stairs. Sore heel etc.

I have no advice but I would like to say a few things that I have learned from my and others experiences.

• This problem can go on for months or even years.
    • i have run through nearly all of this injury. It can be managed.
    • On the two occasions that it struck, it went away just as quickly as it started.
    • It was always most sore when i was not running. the act of running eased the soreness.

Good luck with your running and don't let it get you down, even if it persists.

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭
    Hi Jon, thanks for your comments.
  • I've had this injury for 3 months and it's getting much better. It was real bad with major pain in the morning walking down steps and the thought of massaging the AT was brutal. I started doing home rehab that i found at http://clinicalsportsmedicine.com/book.htm and click on the "pain in the achilles. There is some great exercises.

Good luck!
  • In terms of icing it buy a 50L plastic bin from tescos(for about 6 or 7 quid). Fill it full of cold water and then get a bag of ice from tesco's (~a quid) and dump it in. Stand with one leg a time in it for ~3 or 4 minutes at a time.

Eccentic stretching the way forward as well. Heel drops.

If it's very stuff in the morning look at a "night splint".

Also get physio.

The above should give you a quick enough fix.

All injuries have a root cause so best to get to the bottom of that too otherwise it will just recur.

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the further comments, guys.

Unfortunately, despite pretty intensive physio, which involved a lot of pain for a wimp like me, there has not been much improvement. I've therefore made the decision to withdraw from Edinburgh. Will now rest up and try and get right to target an autumn marathon or alternatively something early 2011.

Once I feel completely right I want to try a bit of a different training schedule next time and may just start with some really slow miles to build a base. So 2011 may be the best bet.
  • In my view, you have made the correct decision.  

I ran the Edinburgh Marathon in 1983 with Tendons which were already causing me trouble in training.   After completing the Marathon, I was unable to run or play rugby without major pain for the next 7 years until I had surgery on both my tendons, one of which was permanently fixed.   The surgeon did say it had a 50% chance of working!    Five years ago, I went to a new surgeon in the US to ask if he could fix the other and he said that the tendons were paper thin because of the previous scarring and my age and would not do it.

Why did it happen?   I had proper new Balance shoes, I ramped up my training gradually, I was already a very fit rugby player in my early 20s.   Two reasons given to me - it was the shock of the road running and recently I was told my a surgeon that I had somewhat flat feet.

My advice would be to rest for a long time and of course, you know what I'm going to say as you have probably already been told it - swim instead!   If you're going to start running again - run on grass.

Cheers

Ian

• GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments, Ian. On the whole, my swimming's rubbish so anything more than 2 lengths of a pool seems beyond me. At the end of the day I think I'm a 'Runner' and want to get back to it asap. Physio says 3 weeks total rest, so I'll do that and then see how it feels.