22 weeks to the GSR

Having not run a thread for weeks now I thought it was about time I started another!

This is the first time I've done one centred around a long-long-term target and actually given myself a decent amount of time to achieve it.

On the way I'm aiming to go under 39 for 10k and under 19 for 5k. 

Will post up some recent training soon so everyone can see where I'm at.

Comments

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    Hi Squall! Been a while. Saw the title of this thread and was going to respond, then saw it was by you! Some good aims there. Does this mean you will be aiming to do the GSR in about 65 minutes?
  • Yup sub 65 for the great south if possible! Anyone else who's targetting the gsr is more than welcome to tag along on this thread.

First of the promenade 5k series tonight!
  • Ahh Mr Squall welcome back buddy!  good luck with your target for Gsr , im targettinig a half in mid october so a similer time to you for training , good thing is we have the ideal time of the year to train in .

How did the 5k go?

• Excellently!

New PB for 5k - 18'38"

Very happy with that, all things considered.

I'll get some training posted up soon... 

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭
    Excellent time! Surely equating to a sub 39 10k that...
  • Brilliant stuff!! well done Squall  ,yeah that should just get you a sub 39/ i know  i did after my 18.29 5 k
  • I'm hoping so.

My training is basically looking like 33-37mpw... with one long run and two sessions a week. The long run has been 14 for a few weeks and 10 for a few weeks and I'm going to do it at 12 for a little while now. The sessions have included hills, tempo work and 10k pace work. I've also been including more 'strides' and 'diagonals' to improve technique, leg turnover etc.

I'm looking to move up to 40+mpw... and I think sub-39 is do-able at the end of May at the D-Day 10k. 

I think longer-term I could even be ambitious and look for sub-64 or 63 at the GSR, but we'll have to wait and see.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

ahh Squall me old mucker. About time you had another epic thread!

I've ducked down to a 36:44 10k and a 28:54 5miler since we last spoke.

If you can get to and keep that 40miles a week, and have the right breakdown of a long slow run, properly calculated speedwork session or 2 a week, mixed in with easy runs, then you will smash the 65 at least.

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Nice one Squall, wondering where you had been. Training well by the looks itimage  Fantastic effort for your 5k time, i am sure the 10k will follow.

As for me, am targetting another marathon in october, exactly the same date as the GSR and hoping for nice shiny new pb as well. Slowly getting my speed back after doing all those long runs, but it looks like they have built me a nice base upon which to start from.

Lets help each other as before eh??

• Great to see some old friends popping by to say hello! Hopefully Jokerman or whatever his current name is will pop in and give some advice also.

Good to hear from you again Marty, what's your marathon target?

Stevie: You just seem to go from strength to strength... I'll try and trail along behind and emulate your progress!

For me, this year is about steady progress without getting injured. No crazy ambitions and I'm going to set myself a mileage cap now of 45 miles a week. I strongly believe in the value of mileage, but last year taught me a lot about overtraining, the importance of stretching and supplementary stuff like ice baths, sports massage and balancing training with work, sleep, eating and other factors. 

• Out for a steady 8 this morning.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

What's the GSR like by the way Squall? Is it a good flat course? Chance of a good time, or are you blocked in due to high numbers?

Just out of interest Squall, what proportion of your training do you do at the different paces? I've learnt very quickly my old training methods weren't unlocking the potential....so now out of say 60+ miles a week I do as much as 50 at "easy pace", which is calculated from my maximum paces at certain distances. Then this is supplemented by 2 track sessions, and one long run..circa 14miler...potentially rising to 16 over the next months.

I previously used to train as i fancied...which in truth came out as all 50miles a week at medium, with occasional valueless burns thrown in!

That's why my mentality has changed from thinking a mid 37 for 10k was pretty good, to thinking my 36:44 is just the start of the story.

• GSR is a PB-worthy course. Fast and flat. Paula Radcliffe set the British 10 mile record at the one before last.

I use it as my target race every year. 

I've binned all my junk runs.. no such thing as junk miles, but i'm no longer doing runs any shorter than 5 miles. 

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭

Some sensible thoughts from everyone on here.

I am hoping to dip under 3.20 if i can although if that all goes pete tong due to whatever reason i do have some secondary goals that i would be more than happy with. I got a taster of the long stuff having done the Two Oceans last month and i enjoy that much more now. I still go to my club reguarly for the speedy sessions since i believe these help the most to improve and its far easier to run quickly with people than on your own. I am seriously considering Comrades next year so am looking for another solid base upon which to build my training on.

I did the GSR last year too. As squall says definately a PB course if the weather is kind. Last year it was blowing a gale so running down the seafront for the last mile and half certainly sapped your energy. Good atmosphere though and had a great time.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    just had a look at the site..and it's all full up already. Is one of the "Great" series though so I should have known better!
  • Just done:

2 miles in 16:30 (warmup)

3 miles in 20:51 (marathon pace interval)

2 minute jog

2 miles in 13:54

1 mile jog

I'm now shagged.

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Can't believe places have gone already for this! image That will teach me!!!!image

• WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Nope! On one hand it sounds stupid, but on another there are over 5 months to go! Im sure I entered later than this last year. Been very angry all afternoon but am calming down a bit now... I guess it will at least force me to re-consider what races I want to do now. I'll do the Cardiff Half Marathon instead now at round that time (it's the week after the GSR I think?). Anyhow - more dissapointed than angry now considering it's been my favourite race to do!

Not even sure if I will be able to make the D Day 10k at the moment either, but in saying that I am still having ITBS problems...last night I had a fairly good sharp workout but yet again it starts giving discomfort...at about 6 and a half miles into my run this time!

All in all a very fustrating few months now topped off by my error of judgement! Next year, I will enter as as soon as the race is over...still can't believe it, I mean 5 months to go and race full!

• No running today... 10-12 miles of hilly cycling at work.
  • WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Yep certainly is a bugger Squall and unpredictable. Some nights it won't bother me much as with last night, whereas others it will moreso.

Anyhow - I have just booked up for a 10k in Poole which is on 6th June (entries end today for this). Ive heard its a fast and flat course of two laps so hopefully I will get some good training in now for this between now and then and aim to get another sub-40!

On a slightly different note, I am thinking of entering a roller-marathon in Goodwood in August - I will be combining my two favourite sports to a degree! In a way, it may partly make up for the dissapointment of not booking up for the GSR in time this year.

19 miles run so far this week, so it feels like I am building my fitness back slowly to the level it was in March but haven't added a long run into the mix yet. Will test it further on Sunday probably since as I say, the problems I have been getting are quite unpredictable in that some days are worse than others.

• I've had 3 weeks now of 35+ miles a week and a couple of weeks at 40+... things are looking good. Should be doing a 3.5 mile x 2 tomorrow

After my 18'38" PB at the promenade 5k, I'll be aiming for sub-39 at the D-Day 10k next week.

anyone else running D-Day?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    D Day 10k??! sounds epic!
  • It's a good race... nice flat fast course.
  • WJHWJH ✭✭✭

Yea won't be around for that one, shame I quite enjoyed it last year - although was my first experience of any race at the time of seeing the leaders racing back the other way! Hopefully some ok weather for it too.

5k club time trail for me next Tuesday - then the South Down's Relay a week Saturday, and the Poole Festival of Running 10k on the 6th. Forgot about the relay the day before! I suppose I am not targeting it as an "A" race as to say at this stage anyway, just something to guage my sharpness with my more recent uptate in training post marathon which has largely consisted of shorter and sharper paced runs.   

• My highest mileage month ever this month image
  • I've been logging some good mileage the past few weeks... only 2 weeks out of about 10 have been less than 30 miles... and had a couple of 40+ mile weeks in the last three months as well image

19'33" at last week's promenade 5k.

What's everyone been up to ?

• Hi squall, good to see another thread going. I shall keep my eye on proceedings, as I am also entered in the GSRimage

Im doing the Hayling Billy 5 tomorrow, a race which my club organise. It should be a good race because its been a year since my last 5 miler, so barring a disaster it should be a guaranteed PB.

Aside from that not many races planned, I'll probably do the 3 remaining promenade 5k's even though i'm not a massive fan of the course. It's all really rather quiet until september when I'll try and do some 5milers and 10k's ready for the GSR.

• hi squall, just seen the thread i,m slow like my running, got a race thurday warm up 10k first for a year hope to carry on raceing, still got some weight to lose but slowly comimg of.