Experian Robin Hood Marathon

After staggering to the finish of the RSM 2010 marathon and vowing never to do another 26.2 mile race, I've given into better judgement and entered the Robin Hood for marathon No. 2. Married with 2 kids, proves that I'm a sucker for punishment.

So what's it like and who else is in?

Comments

• Mate!

Colin!

Couldn't leave you on your tod here now could I?

Yep, after Stratford as well, I'm in. Looking to better time with a little more experience this time round I hope. Course sounds okay if a little quiet on the second lap, but then so was Stratford once the Half-ers finished.

• Welcome aboard Jules

Couldn't agree more about using the experience of Stratford to improve at Nottingham. A bit more appreciation of how the weather could affect your intentions, if nothing else.

I've decided to do the Indian Queens HM, just outside Newquay in August so I've got a race a month between now and then. Should help with the heat preparation.

• Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭

I've just entered. Did Stratford too. God, it was HOT!

• Hot indeed. image

Winter training didn't really help to acclimatise, but hopefully a full programme of summer training will leave those of us who struggled with the heat in a better position to deal with it.

• I hear that Colin...although my 10k today was a no starter. Awoke with the mother of all migraines, for no apparent reason, so had to shuffle along holding onto head and stomach and cheered my boys on in the 4k race.

I gave the 405 to the Small Monstrosity (7yrs) and when I got home it showed that their first mile split was 8:18!! None too shoddy.

Contemplating going out to Kingsbury on Tuesday night for the 10K there. Looks lovely!

Oh, and welcome Sam! Shouldn't forget me manners!

• Jules - 8:18, that's some going. Do we have a future 2020 Olympian in Team Jules for the 1500m?

How do you get on with the 405? I've got a Polar S625X which I've had for about 4 years and really like, butI  like the virtual partner tool that the 305/405 have. Do you use it and how accurate do you find the watch in general?

• Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭

Totally agree about the winter training!

Did the Holymoorside 10k this morning! Very hilly! First 2m are straight up! Beautiful scenery though. Finished in 53:15 which is 9m slower than my pb but, given the hills and the back probs, I'm fairly chuffed with. Boyfriend reckons I was in the first 20 ladies too image

• That's good going Sam, well done
  • Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭
    Thank you. I was pretty pleased. I had a disappointing run at Stratford and with all my back probs I was expecting to be over the hour image
  • Hello all.

Thinking of doing this race, but I'm looking for a PB and wanted to see how the course was? Any one else run here before. I checked the comments on the previous years event but couldn't be 100% certain of PB potential, maybe this was just due to poor wind conditions last year? The event website doesn't seem to have a route map either, which would help me decide.

However this is looking like the top contender, most other marathons around this time seem to be a little too small, and I can't go any later in September because of impending exams...

Thanks.

• Hey harry..welcome too!
    You may have to linger a little longer here as us three are Nottingham maras virgins! My research says that the second loop can be open, windy, lonely but running around a lake it's gotta be fairly flat.
    I'm told that the second loop can get very quiet as the Halfers drop out but this seems just the same as Stratford?
    But as I say, linger a while an people more qualified than me I'm sure will come on and advise further.
    Till then- hang about and let us know how training is going?
  • Well I've managed 4 runs and 2 cross training sessions in the past week or so, all very restrained as I don't want to blow a gasket.

It's not been a pretty sight though, I swear the legs just want to drop off. I'm attempting to keep it nice and easy just to ease myself back into a routine.

• 4 runs sounds about right?

I'm trying to get back into it Colin and taper for a 10k in some form or other! not working though. Flew my 10 mile course yesterday, more relaxed around 8 today. Rest tomorrow, run with a mate Friday night for about 5.5., rest Saturday and race Sunday...

So busy, busy...

Just been given a reprieve of a hospital date till late June now so may be in the running for a June Half...any suggestions in the Midlands kinda area??

• I'm doing the Shifnal Steeplechase again in early July, but having a nose around there's

http://www.acornstriplerun.org.uk/Half-Marathon.htm - Being Malvern I think this will be hilly.

http://www.buxtonac.org.uk/half_marathon.htm - This is hilly apparently

http://www.codrc.co.uk/COD_RC/The_Holly_Half.html

http://www.wombournehalfmarathon.co.uk/

I haven't done either the Holly or Wombourne halfs and whilst it's possible to do both, I shall have to do some digging around and pick just one. There's no way Mrs G will let me do a run on both days, then Stone 10k on the following Sunday

• Apparently the Malvern Half is predominately flat, which probably means there aren't many hills, but they are killers, just like RSM image
  • hi

Can i come and join please? This will (hopefully) be my first full marathon. I have done the half here before and loved it. Wasn't fit enough last year to do it as had only just had a baby.

I have the Mansfield half in a few weeks as a way of assesing my fitness level but have only really started training again recently after an injury.

I am now plagued by "runners knee"

any tips of any sort will be most gratefully received 

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭

I've entered this too...did the Bungay Black Dog mara the week before Stratford/London, which was a testing course - quite hilly in places. But got a PB by 14 minutes and am now raring to go again!

Bungay also had a half but they started 2 hours after the full. So the first 15-16 miles were pretty quiet and then the fast halfers came storming pastimage

I've done London twice and definitely preferred Bungay (although wouldn't knock London for atmosphere) - easy to get into your pace and well supported. I'm hoping RH will be somewhere in between the two.

I'm doing a 10 miler this weekend - nice to get back to a shorter race. Looking for a PB there as well as it is a flat course.

Rachie - I've had runners knee...my advice would be to work on your quads and glutes, try and strengthen them so that more of hte power comes from there and less strain on the knee. But I'm no expert!

• I have entered this. Not ran this before (or the half). Already PB my marathon time this year in Paris but hopefully will again take time off.
  • Welcome to the thread Rachie, Freemers and Paul. Certainly more the merrier.

Rachie - Take it easy with the knee, rest if needed and certainly check for remedies on this and other websites. Hopefully it'll clear up soon enough.

Paul, Freemers - Well done on the PB's.

Looking to use my first marathon experience at RSM and make it count in Nottingham by knocking a chunk off my time. Although, the first lesson learnt at RSM was to take what the day gives you and be happy with it

• i think i will be aiming for 5 hours for the full. Not 100% sure till i up my training more after the mansfield half.

just hoping i won't be too close to last  so i don't get lost. I have a terrible sense of direction  image)

• Hi all,

I'm in this one too, it will be my 13th marathon.  Will be running my 12th at Chester on 31st May. I'm still trying to break the 4 hour mark having got my time down to 4:01 - I'm sure I'll get it one day!  I ran the half here last year and really enjoyed it.  I've read that it can be pretty lonely when the halfers head for home but I'm still looking forward to it. 

Rachie, I'm running the Mansfield half too - have you run it before?  Hope your knee is recovering well. 

• I'm in as well. Hit the wall badly at Stratford 3 weeks ago so I'm looking for a bit of redemption for that.
  • Welcome K.P and postieboy, I was hit by the wall at RSM too, not a nice experience.

• Evening All

Undecided yet on this or Wolverhampton,  Wolverhampton logistically suits but would be nice to do a different course.

Question's.

When does the full marathon sell out (want to leave options open for a bit)

How many go on to do the full marathon. 

Also suffered in the heat of Stratford this year.

Jules about the Birmingham & Black country Half Marathon on Saturday July 3rd.

• I've been informed by reliable sources that the FM normally sells out by July (not 100% sure), so you have a few weeks to decide.
  • Another Hill - The site says 2000 limit for full marathon. Not sure when this fills up as never ran this course before. Having Run London twice, Edinburgh and this year Paris, this will be the quietest marathon i would have run. (12,000 on first half though)
  • KP, never actually done teh Masfield half although i only live a mile or so from the start line.

Long run scheduled for tommorrow so will try the knee out.  Furthest run on it so far is 7 miles. Going to try for 9 or 10 and see what happens

• hello everyone. i was at stratford too it was my first marathon and i suffered too. i stopped at 21 miles. i was gutted. im for RH as i must do a marathon! ive heard its moderatly hilly first lap but flat second which can get quiet. personally ill be gald to get the hills gone in firat lap. the one at 18 stratford finished me off image
  • FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Bad luck at strateford maelca....definitely doing the best thing by putting it behind you and going straight for another one. My first mara was London 2000 - had a nightmare and it took me 9 years before I felt ready to have another go!
  • lol thanks freemers. i hope i think its the best thing in 4 months time! image