VLM 2010 Survivors

Comments

• I always find club runs feel tougher than races, psychological I think.

So went up to Stowe School tonight and did 12 x 40m with 1.5 min static recovery.  For the stats geeks the splits were:

Took me a couple of reps to settle into a pace and the last few did feel much harder but I'm really pleased with it overall.  I don't think I've ever managed 12 paces that are all 7.xx min miling image

• Morning all. Anyone got a cuppa? I've run out of tea image

Nice one Bridget. Very even pace too!! image Well done

I always find that I get much more out of races than I do on club runs. I seem to have this extra bag of energy hidden within me that only comes out when I'm racing.

• By the way Hash, you asked what I do for my job. It's not very exciting. I'm a Purchasing Manager. However, I've been seconded for the past year to a project installing a brand new system for our company to replace the old one which was installed in 1983. We went live last week, hence all the long hours and weekend working. Hopefully it'll all be over soon because I'm massively exhausted all the time and have started getting complaints from the other half that he feels like he's living with a zombie. Rubbish! image
  • Morning all

Rod hope your legs are feeling better this morning.  Chuffed to hear that Sunday is "only" 10! image

Great to see you back Scuba

Bridget that's a cracking consistent pace

Zaba I knew you hadn't run since VLM but didn't realise about the knees.  What's the problem, is it just generally sore or something specific?  Being something of an expert on dodgy knees after my VLM non-experience I've got loads of exercises depending what the problem is, PM me if I can help.

Mark, like Lostkat says that's a lot of pressure.  I had a charity place last year, but was lucky as it was a last-minute place they couldn't flog, so they didn't try to hold me to a target.  I think fund raising gets harder every year, partly because my friends have been tapped up a few times too often, but with all the R4L mob getting in on the act there's less and less to go round.

Hang in there Lostkat, hope it calms down a bit soon.  My life is about to get mainc work-wise, got a meeting tonight that won't finish until around 10pm, working all weekend on the 22nd/23rd....  I need a holiday! Kind of limping towards the bank holiday, but thankful I can slot in a few miles to keep me sane.  With a bit of luck I'll manage another 4 or 5 this evening before the work stuff kicks off again at 7.30.  Oh well, it's good for the brownie points

• Morning all Hash you are having a right time of it at work.

Lostkat the bike club trip goes to WeLshpool from Birmingham via Kidderminster  and Ludlow etc. Saying that I have a gig to play at for my old band on Saturday, purely a one off so a late finish plus I won't run today so I think the 10 mile run is beckoning!

Bridget those are good intervals I would like to try the shorter ones they seem a good plan!

I am not running today decided that as May was due to be a rest I will do that, plus I need to rehearse with the aforementioned band this evening to make sure I remember the 30 odd songs which I have not played for 2 years image

So the club night is out too still Friday is another day I guess......

• Hashette wrote (see)
    Zaba I knew you hadn't run since VLM but didn't realise about the knees.  What's the problem, is it just generally sore or something specific?  Being something of an expert on dodgy knees after my VLM non-experience I've got loads of exercises depending what the problem is, PM me if I can help.

Thanks. Well the acute non running issues was my cold and right ankle but they are fine now, the long turn problem is ITBS which mostly affects my knees image Have started with rehab for it now but on Tuesday and Wednesday the right knee just really hurt whatever I did, just had to moan and left off some steam.

• Managed a slow 60 lengths at the swimming pool last night with my super speedy 18 year old daughter who is a brilliant swimmmer, mind you she had swimming lessons I didnt'. Then I did a five miler into work and hit 7.09mm a pb for a mile, since trying to speed up since the VLM so hopefully strength and speed is the way forward despite middle age creeping on.

Zaba hope the injury eases up.

Rod are you a guitarist. I am an acoustic guitarist, not played in a band since my youth but have a couple of guitars still. Sold my electrics over the years for wedding rings and stuff!!!

Lostkat.......wish we were busy at work.......the recession is still with our company.

• Morning all.

Found out yesterday I'm on the weekend working rosta for Saturday - grrrrrrrr.  Totally messed my weekend plans up.image

Anyway no point sulking - quick question about doing an interval session.  Do you people jog / walk / or rest between esch run?

• Morning

Run more slowly in my case Suze, if I stop, I stop!

Speaking of not stopping, left work at 9.30 last night, off there again.  If anyone fancies some hill work, there should be a fair old brownie point mountain building up here!

Had a lovverly 5 miles in between the end of the day and the start of the evening though, despite getting jumped on by the laydees of Letchworth Golf Club.  I was minding my own business poddling down the gravel track in the middle of the course, oblivious to the world as things were hotting up in the Archers on the headphones with Lilian and Matt's brother Paul, when I was physically grabbed by five golf club brandishing women in pink jumpers and told it's private land.  Obviously 8 stone of middle aged woman running down a gravel track in the middle of the course could do serious damage to the place....image

• Morning all, Hash those golfers were having a laugh weren't they image

Suze I think all the intervals are different, I do the RW schedule which gives me mile reps with 800 metres jog, I tend to do about 10 mm it would benefit me to go slow, the shorter reps in a way can be more beneficial as you can go full tilt, maybe a bit of a walk after say a 400 rep.

As Hash says  if you stop you stop.

Well a 10k along the canal and back today will see how I feel when I start but I have got a banging headache which I hope will clear.

Have a good day all.

• Flying visit................manic at work and I could do with a damn good run for relief!!!!!! So v glad its the weekend - hope everyone elses working week not too bad - Has have you got head above water?

Zaba how are the knees?

Speedy or what Bridget?!!!  Awesome!

Rod how are you feeling?

Suze I think it depends on the length and intensity of the interval as to how you treat the recovery.  For example if you are doing 200-400m repeats then you are going to be running at a fairly fast pace so a walk recovery would be fine.  If you were doing half mile repeats or longer then your 'up' pace is not going to be as fast so a jog/medium pace recovery would be fine.  Does that make sense? 

• Hash.......I run past a golf course where the ball can come over the top of you and you hear them shouting four..........what a crazy sport.........

Rod .........have you had a lie down yet?

Lostkat...........supposed to raise £1500 and up to £1400 so not far off and I reckon with the bike ride coming up I can raise a few quid while cycling the length of the country. Anyone live near Swindon fancy putting up two middle aged cyclists in July for a night??        Not many b and bs want cyclists with expensive bikes.............or maybe its the sweaty lycra.........sorry if you are eating..........

• Wondered where you were? On holiday?
  • I had a little break - didn't go anywhere.  Just took some time out which meant no computering.  And been really busy this week with work catching up image
  • More or less.  There is still quite a dark patch about half way down my thigh and I have been massaging it to get rid of the lump.  It is still a bit tender when I start running but otherwise I am ok now.  Thank you.

I have no idea how I am going to do at Bala in 4 weeks as I have hardly been on the bike and it is quite a hilly course.  I will just have to blag it I guess

• Hi all Rio welcome back image

Mark I am rested now image

Pinks yes things are ok now, I have got the hang of this "listen to your body" thing, I have absolutely no guilt about not running on Wednesday or yesterday as today was always in my mind.

Soooo my 10K training run went as thus;

6.21 miles  55.27 @ 8.55

splits 1 mile @ 9.06

1 mile @ 8.59

1 mile @ 8.55

1 mile @ 8.52

1 mile @ 8.51

1.21 miles @ 8.48

This was an out and back along the canal it was smashing and I was able to work on keeping my pace consistent, it wasn't that succesful but it was a good run and I felt comfortable, if I am to do a sub 3 hour for the 20 mile road race in the autumn I will need to do some runs at this pace.

Roll on my 10mile LSR Sunday, pace to be decided but 9.20 seems to be in my head......

• What bike do you ride RIo. Just shopping for a road bike..............image
  • Im.Rio wrote (see)

More or less.  There is still quite a dark patch about half way down my thigh and I have been massaging it to get rid of the lump.  It is still a bit tender when I start running but otherwise I am ok now.  Thank you.

I have no idea how I am going to do at Bala in 4 weeks as I have hardly been on the bike and it is quite a hilly course.  I will just have to blag it I guess

Rio can such a thing be blagged? image
  • Mark I have two - my race bike is a Specialzed Ruby Elite and my commute bike is a Scott Contessa Speedster.  They are both different and I like them both.

What sort of money do you have?  And does your employer do the cycle to work scheme?

Rod I think I am about to find out! lol

• hello everyone!

don't have much chance to spend here unfortunately but great to see how well everyone's doing

Hash - the Archers is exciting isn't it?! not liking Jude at all

question to those of you doing intervals - I'm a solo plodder and don't anything so technical - do you use your garmins to set the intervals? and what happens when it's uphill when it's time to go faster?

• Jenni-far-far wrote (see)

question to those of you doing intervals - I'm a solo plodder and don't anything so technical - do you use your garmins to set the intervals? and what happens when it's uphill when it's time to go faster?

Jenni it is simple when you hit the hill you struggle, at least I do! image
    Yes you can set your garmin it is a good idea, def. helps with getting faster overall.
  • Rio..........Trelleborg dont have a cycle to work scheme........asked but told no............shame..........want a carbon frame if I can. I have a focus mountain bike I built from a carbon frame so abit spoilt with that at the moment. Had a look at the entry level Trek carbon about £1600. Focus ex demo road bikes on the Wiggle site but dont like buying a  bike from an internet site really as if you have problems its hard work.

What sort of time do you do for the Bala tri? Or is it the first time you have done it.

• These carbon bikes, blimey the cost of them image

I paid £300 for my Claud Butler thing and thought that was a lot.

I am obviously not in the real world image

Talking of which I need to go back to work, catch you all later.

• I have bought all my bikes (which have also included a hybrid and my recent mountain bike) from Evans.  Excellent service - and there are shops all over the place so there may be one you can get to to try a bike out.

Most important thing is fit!!!   Then I would suggest going for something with 105 gearing or better.  Carbon is fine but the bike will only go as fast as the legs that push the pedals so I wouldn't say no to anything other than that.

I did last year in 6:57(ish) but don't think I will get near that this time.  I was hoping with training to do about 6:45.  But think that will be my target now for the Vitruvian as I have plenty of time to train for that!??

• suze - I did static recoveries, walked around on the spot a bit but didn't move forwards at all!  When I am with the club it is mostly static but occasionally jog (often jog 200m and then stand around if there is any time left over).

Jenni - my club use a cycle/footpath and have marked out every 100m and if I go over on my own I don't then bother with the Garmin.  If elsewhere then I do set it up to make life easier.  The cycle track has only a very slight slope and the footpath I have made use of by Silverstone circuit has only a little rise too so not really a big problem. 

• Hi Guys...
    Jenny.. I use a sports pitch.. i use the rugby or football pitch ( the marks are still there albeit the seasons have finished ) by sprinting along the long side and jogging along the short for recovery. Do this as many times as you wish. Also I am lucky to have a 500 mtr gentle hill near me that I run up and jog down four times as a hill session. I have been known to run up the stairs in a 15 storey tower block and jog down a few times if the weather has been bad.

Rio..... One piece of advise to you my love...... don't do Bala..you know it make sense.... what would you tell others in your position.... " there are always other races "..... go and help out as a marshall or something....

• Not a hope in hell Gatton.  Tri races are far too expensive not to do it!  £95.  I will get there and get round somehow!  It won't kill me image
  • Hear what you are saying Rio......... BE CAREFULL............ please xxxxxx