'GO FAST FOOD'

HillyHilly ✭✭✭
Me, I'm quite boring and tend to stick to pasta in a herb sauce with plenty of fresh bread the evening before and in the morning I have one weetabix followed by one slice of toast with jam and a large glass of orange juice.

I'm sure there must be some other more exciting 'go fast food' that people eat before a race.

Comments

• BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    Sorry mate, but that's pretty much what I gulp down pre-activity, except I take about 2 litres of water and some wine gums as well. Don't know why but it seems to do the job.
    Oh and a few lagers afterwards - apres run is important too!
  • Macaroni cheese (properly made!) - rocket fuel, tried and tested. s.
  • Bananas and waffles with syrup - hi carbs but a definite sugar high risk built in.
  • Usually same sensible choice as you - pasta etc. For breakfast muesli or porridge.

Tonight, before tomorrow's 1/2m, English Lakes icecream and a bowl of cereal, due to arriving home feeling car sick. Will report race effect tomorrow!
  • BTW Hilly, meant to thank you for your post long run drink tip of diluted orange juice with a pinch of salt - had that after my last very hot race and it really made me feel better.
  • So I take it a big breakfast on the morning of a race isn't a good idea?

Had 6 extra thick slices of hot buttered toast on Sunday morning, 3 hours before a long run and I was fine.

How are you supposed to have the energy to run for two and a half hours after a weetabix and one slice of toast? I'd be starving before I even set off.

• Hilly

I'm with achilles on this one. Maccaroni cheese the night before is a must - with bacon and mushroom 'bits', covered in tinned tomato and lots of white pepper....Yum Yum Yum.

Race day I never eat cereal (too risky - all that fibre) but generally have two pieces of toast (marmite and cheese spread), glass of orange juice and one/two glasses of Isostar.

Post race - anything! But usually a bacon sandwich and a banana.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    If the race isn't too early, a couple of Mr Kipling Lemon Slices an hour and a half before the race, on top of a small bowl of cereal and 2 slices of toast & jam, plus a bottle of Lucozade Sport.
  • Martin - no, no, no, for heaven's sake. bacon and mushroom bits, tinned tomatoes????? Really good fontina, parmesan, gruyere and nothing else, apart from a perfectly made bechamel - foodie heaven. What have they been teaching you over there in Germany??? you'll be putting marmite in your macaroni cheese next. s.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Some interesting food choices here guys. I quite fancy the Lemon Slices and the Maccaroni Cheese.

Burnley while I love toast I couldn't possibly even get 6 slices inside my stomach. 2 at the most and that would make me full. I'm only a small person!

Laura, glad the simple recipe of orange juice and salt worked for you. I use it regularly through the summer months.

Also, another thing I've found to help me recover fast after a long or hard session especially when marathon training is to drink a meal replacement drink such as Complan as soon as I get indoors. I've found that since doing this that I suffer few muscles aches after a long/hard run and am able to carry on training the next day without it being uncomfortable.
  • nothing else? Not even a bit of Maccaroni? ;0) Seriously though, a bowl full of that with a big dollop of ketchup...
  • Achilles

Another favorite of mine is Cottage Pie (or shepherd's pie depending on where you come from) BUT mixed with baked beans and lots of brown sauce (must be HP).

Seriously - try maccaroni cheese with smoked streaky bacon, It'll change your life!
  • I like slices of toast with smooth peanut butter,topped of with chopped up banana

deliciousssssssssssssss!!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I've never tried the toast with smooth peanut butter and banana. I will though! I do like toast spread with jam and mashed banana.

I'm feeling quite hungry reading this thread!
  • Martin -

Cottage pie, baked beans and HP - mmmmmm, when was the last time I had that? sounds like a great idea. I always thought Cottage Pie was made with beef whereas Shepherd's pie was made with lamb, or is that a myth?

Burnley - now you remind me, I should have said proper macaroni cheese doesn't have macaroni. use only best quality penne!

Comfort food sounds high on everybody's list of favourites, which makes a lot of sense. Far better than the fiery Thai meal that I was obliged to eat before the Dublin marathon last year - couldn't get into any other restaurants as we hadn't booked, and yes, it was delicious but definitely not the kind of nosh you want to go for before a big race! s.
  • Pie power for the day before.

On the day, just the usual of porridge made with soya milk, plus a banana and cup of tea.

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    One of my favourites for lunchtime when at work is beetroot sandwiches-full of carbohydrate!
  • Achilles

Marmite in macaroni cheese is really good for obvious reasons!

mm
  • MM - is that white marmite, or will the black stuff still do? s.
  • Tea. Toast. Lots of.
  • What on earth is white marmite, or shouldn't I ask?

mm
  • White marmite, as reported authoritatively by Dangly Spice (see the Marmite/Oxo thread) - or are you suggesting there are fictions adrift on this forum? oh my God. s.
  • Working in a Pizz/pasta restaurant I feel like I'm carbo loading every day of the week.
    Pre race meal is usualy fettucine della cassa, spinach, mushrooms, onions, marinted tomatoes, a hint of pesto & pan fried with fettucine & an egg tossed in at the last minute ...... dee..lish.
    Morning of race either toast & honey or muesli & a bannana.
    Must try a pizza with a marmite base.
  • Achilles/Dangly Spice

don't mean to be obtuse but, eh?

mm
  • Sunday dinner - roast lamb, mashed & roast potatoes, cabbage, carrot and turnip gravy a mint sauce.

Not sure if it was the above or maybe it could have been new trainers, or new lime green flourescent socks, but Sunday evenings run of 7 miles was my longest run for a long time.
    p.s many thanks to Mike S for recommendation of Running Bear in Alderley Edge, excellent service.
  • MM - get with the program, man! Parsley confirms the white marmite aberration thingy. see Marmite/Oxo thread. would we like to you of all people? s.
  • Pasta, usually spag bol, the night before races.
    Breakfast before races or long runs: bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes for instant sugar hit, plus a couple of slices of toast and maramlade for more long term fuel, plus a banana about an hour before the race.
    No marmite sorry! but then I do have marmite sandwhiches almost everyday for lunch.