Cr@p Swimmers R Us

Comments

• Its not the mass start Saffers (which I will be at the back out of the way), but it is good to swim with someone almost touching shoulders to get a feel for how it might be. Appreciate the washing machine start will be a bit more manic but at least I will have swam with people inside my personal space.

Its great to try and draft someone as well, takes a little concentration but again it all adds up I suppose image

• Soup DragonSoup Dragon ✭✭✭

Mass starts are something I'm not even thinking about at the moment.  I know I've got to face it sometime but when I do I'll start right at the back.  It won't take long for everyone else to zoom off out of my way.  Well done RC - you are doing really well.  I've been swimming a year now and still spluttering and struggling. 

Anyway..........I'm going to tri club on Monday. Someone at my ladies cycle group is a member and has offered to give some coaching to a couple of us an hour before the official session starts during the warm-up period.  If there is enough interest from slower swimmers then there is the chance of booking an  extra lane just for beginners which would be great. image  I don't mind paying if I'm getting something out of it. 

• They did a bit of the drafting at the pool during the tri session the other week.  Unfortunately, there was no one my sort of pace....as in bliddy slow.....so I just watched! image  That's when I hate being slow....I felt a right imposter and should have sat there with armbands on. image
  • Thanks Soupy image. Tbh Saffers Im not to bothered about speed at the moment. I know I can do the distances I need to and if Im last out the water not to worry.

We can all draft of each other at Bala it will be like one snake moving through the water, albeit a pirate snake image

A funny thing about the pond I swim in is that you usually end up with a load of weed on your face/head or around your neck which is quite funny sometimes when you see other people with a clump of weed on their swim caps image

• RC, I seem to only worry about my speed at the tri club as it looks like there is none.....compared to those Hunks in Trunks.   At the local pool it's not an issue as I can pick medium lane and pootle along at my own pace!

OW......I enjoy as there is all the lake to swim around....which I tend to cos my sighting is shite! image

I was going to post, please take pics of your Pirate snake at Bala......but it doesn't sound quite right! image

• What's drafting?

Soup Dragon wrote (see)

It won't take long for everyone else to zoom off out of my way. 

That's not the attitude Soupy and I bet it won't be the case on the day.  Think positive! image

LOL RC - that sounds really rustic. image

• Saffers wrote (see)

I was going to post, please take pics of your Pirate snake at Bala......but it doesn't sound quite right! image

image Lol Saffers, if it gets to big I think we might need a wide angle lens to fit it all in imageimage
  • Parky, drafting is where you swim in another person wake/slipstream.

Last night I was practising swimming just behind their feet in that my leading hand would nearly touch the person in fronts foot. By doing this apparently you use less effort as the person in front.

Not sure of the physics behind it but I know you can do it in halfs and IM but from what I have read dont try and hook onto the feet of someone much quicker than you or you will tire yourself out.

Whether or not I would be able to tell the difference or not I dont know, but it feels like Im doing something technical anyway image

• Soup DragonSoup Dragon ✭✭✭
    Another OW session this morning. Lovely and warm when I got out but a bit cold in the water still although everyone else seemed to think it was warm and some swam without a wettie.  I managed to breathe a bit better this time but spluttered a few times and swallowed a load of lake water. image  It was really friendly.  500m done but very slow, had to keep stopping to get a breather, sort goggles out etc.  Next time I aim to do 500m without stopping.
  • If you're not racing at the "sharp end", which most of us aren't, just getting through the swim comfortably is what's important, after all it is only 2% of the race!
  • Ultra Ironwolf wrote (see)
    .......just getting through the swim comfortably is what's important, after all it is only 2% of the race!
    Looking at at that way makes it seem almost achievable image
  • It's always achievable Schmunkee. image
    If you're not racing at the "sharp end", which most of us aren't, just getting through the swim comfortably is what's important, after all it is only 2% of the race!
    image That about sums up my swim theroy Mrs Wolf. Get through as easily and comfortable as I can. Infact I could use that for the whole day couldnt I? imageimage
  • Indeed yes, RC. The majority of us just need to concentrate on getting to the finish.
    If you're not racing at the "sharp end", which most of us aren't, just getting through the swim comfortably is what's important, after all it is only 2% of the race!

I'd really not thought about that. Thank you Wolf.

Saffers wrote (see)
    It's always achievable Schmunkee. image
    It certainly is Saffers.
  • LN....naughty!!!!  Very funny......I shall file for divorce now then. image  I'm working on it for 2012 ....I am hoping to convince hubby that it really is not going to kill me oft! image
  • Saffers wrote (see)

LN....naughty!!!!  Very funny......I shall file for divorce now then. image  I'm working on it for 2012 ....I am hoping to convince hubby that it really is not going to kill me oft! image

The divorce or the IM? image

EDIT - really bad spelling image

• And on such a small bliddy post imageimage
  • I was hoping I would be a rich divorcee doing IM every year.image
  • I just saw a short video of LB swimming on FB.  She looked amazing.

... loads of forumites seemed to be doing tris this weekend.  I really want to sign up for one but I haven't sorted out my bike yet due to lack of money.  I'm going to try to do it on the cheap this month.

Swam this morning for 45 mins.  Slow and medium lanes were painfully slow so I had to go in fast again which was fine but I couldn't do any drills.  I'm going to the lake on Thursday morning so might be able to do a bit more there if it's not busy.

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭

LB, having a video of yourself swimming is really useful.  It's difficult to know exactly what you're doing without having it on video so spend some time watching it and seeing what bits of your stroke you need to improve.

And well done on your first race.  IM next?

• Hello again all

I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do in the pool at the moment.  Should I just be aiming to do 500/750M comfortably towards my first sprint tri, so practicing that distance over and over and perhaps putting some sprints too?

I can't do drills at the moment as the pool's too busy.

• M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    If you can't manage the distance yet then yes, focus on building towards it.  When you're happy that you can do it easily then you can focus on building your speed.  If you can't do drills then try some short, fast work.  Something like reps of 100m hard with 30 seconds rest.
  • Parky - am I right in thinking you mentioned on FB that you were looking at the South West Tri?  Is that the one in Caldicot?  If so, that was the first one I ever did and it was great fun.  Go for it - you won't regret it, I'm sure
  • Ooh deja vu!  I just replied to you on FB.  Thanks Schmunks.  I've just been looking at the North West tri photos on FB and I'm itching to sign up for one now.
  • I managed 1100m this morning. I sprained my ankle on Sunday and kicking in the pool hurt so I was forced to resort to the pull buoy again.

I managed 2 * 400m and 1 * 300m so was happy with that image

• Parklife wrote (see)
    Ooh deja vu!  I just replied to you on FB.  Thanks Schmunks.  I've just been looking at the North West tri photos on FB and I'm itching to sign up for one now.

Despite my denial on the actual NW Tri thread, this one is niggling away at my brain, esp as I could do it on my way back from marshalling at The Vit the day before.  Problem is, it clashes with Bristol Half which I like to spectate/support at

Decisions, decisions.

If you want any info re Caldicot, just PM me here or on FB.  I came last (really last) when I did it, but the cheer I got when I finished was amazing, resulting in the best finishing photos there have ever been of me as I was actually smiling.

• Sorry, not had time for a proper rad back yet, but just wanted to say a quick thank you to all on here for your swim support over the last few months!

I did my first tri of the season (second ever) on Sunday and knocked 1min 19s off my 500m time image
    10mins 15 in total.