I actually got shot while out running!

Unbelieveable. Trainspotting comes to Croydon.

I was running along last night in the local park minding my own business, then out of the blue, well, the bushes on the other side of the road to be precise came a frickin paintball! Caught me right on my side! 

I couldn't believe it. I stood there stunned for a minute or two, watching two figures in the bushes jump up and run off! I almost decided to give chase, but thought better of it after a couple of seconds, as I'm not sure what I would have said to them if I caught up. But I was fuming.

Calmed down today but I am left with a big welt on my side where the said paintball found it's mark. Ouch.

I'm sure it was "only kids" having a bit of fun so feel a little more forgiving today, but at the time, oh if I'd caught them...

The upside was that the adrenaline hit made the last couple of miles of the run pretty easy! Which was nice, I suppose.

Happy days.

Comments

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Clearly they hit the 'right' person. I know a few people who would've given chase and not been very forgiving when they caught them.

My other half is very capable of dealing with things like that with humour, his family are great story tellers, you just have to embellish the details a little then it becomes amusing.

Still, not nice when it happens. Poor you.Think it would have me in tears. I'm very easily upset. I don't envy you.

btw - what colour paint? image image

• Well it's amusing reading, but I kept thinking what if that had been me?

You don't instantly know what's going on, you just know you've been shot and if they had used red paint as well I reckon most people would have been really frightened.  Someone else might have had a coronary... Personally I think it's a joke too far and I would have reported it, but then I'm anal about these things.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

I'd have hunted them down ... image

Great song PRF ... image

• JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭
    Little b**tards! I don't know what i would have done but I can tell you the "adrenaline" would have made me very angry and i certainly would have shouted after them the swines. image
  • parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭

And to think that people pay good money to get splatted in that way! image

Twisting things around, it has given me a good idea for a new training session - Hide in a bush, shoot a paintball at some hard looking thug and then run like hell.

Got to get a good anaerobic workout from that! image

• kamoshikakamoshika ✭✭✭
    I don't think I could laugh it off as kids having a bit of fun. There's a reason why they make you wear face masks and googles when playing paintball - getting hit in th eye with one of those can cost you your sight.
  • *waits for parkrunfan to come back next week starting a thread "I actually got a broken nose while out running!" image
  • MrsK8MrsK8 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Nam, but then we are female so it would be a lot more intimidating.
  • Happened to me a couple of years ago but it was a group of lads in a car who shot me with some sort of air rifle. I was lucky that it only hit me on my chin but I was so shocked at the time that I did not think to get there registration.
  • parkrunfanparkrunfan ✭✭✭

I've been hit with an egg thrown from a passing van, boy that hurts.

After the initial shock it was just a case of trying to get some satisfaction from the fact that they'd be one short for their omelette. image

• It was orange paint....

The funny thing was at first I didn't realise it was a paintball and thought it was an air rifle or bb gun type thing. I did initially take chase onto the golf course and wandered up and down the hedge for a bit. The golfers were all looking at me rather strange. It was only then that I looked down at my shirt again and see the paint splat.

A bit of advice for all - don't go paintballing in lightweight running gear.... it doesn't offer much protection....

• That's Croydon for you.

And that's why we escaped from there - phew.  All we get nowadays is low-flying pheasantsimage.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    people should watch where they shoot these paintballs and not aim at runners who are out to keep fit
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Unlucky Fingers. There's some utter scum out there. Just content yourself that they'll try it on the wrong person and end up with an absolute hiding that will teach them for life.
  • Fucking idiots deserve a thrashing

• MoraghanMoraghan ✭✭✭
    There'll be no mercy for people like that. I swear it.
  • You've been assaulted so you should report it to the police.

• Fuckin dangerous shooting paintballs at folk. Used to paintball in competetions and the muzzle velocity of those markers is up to 300ft per second = 200mph. We used to wear all the protective kit but still got welts and bruises.

If that hits you in your eye it could cause some serious damage, theres some fuckin muppets about there really is

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭
    Report it to the police - today, whilst you still have some physical signs of the attack.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    You need to report it. Quite possibly they didn't only take a pot shot at you but at others as well. If everyone hit reports it, with timings, there might just be something on CCTV to identify these plonkers.
  • Probably just a couple of lads who think it is a bit of fun. But a bit to serious for just meaning less fun. These idiots could do this again and things could be so different if the victim is old and fragile, or what about if they hit someone in the face!. I agree with the above and think it should be reported. They should not be allowed to get away with this.
  • MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭
    The little shitheads! It's assault, so make sure you report it. Glad you weren't badly hurt though, could have been a lot worse.
  • Fingers - where about in Croydon did this happen? Fellow Croydonian so it would be useful to know so that I'm aware and can pass on to other runners in our local running club.

Once I know I'll ensure our club runs go pass the area on a regalur basis so if these idiots are stupid enough to take another pot shot they'll be ambushed by 50 odd runners who will shove their paint balls where the sun don't shine and then string them up from the nearest tree/lamppost as an example!

• As an ex-Croydonian and as he mentions golf course, I'm guessing might be around Lloyd Park area?
  • There's quite a few Golf Courses around here Jeepers as you will well know, Shirley Park is the one you're thinking off but it could have been Addington Palace or more likely Addington Court.
  • Possibly, but didn't think that you could get from Addington Palace golf course onto open ground, anyhow, OP will advise.

LOL at imageof your running club helping outimage.

• Croydonian here too - got shot at very near the Bromley boundary about 8 years ago.  The pellets went past me at head height and there was more than one shot fired.  Didn't know what type of gun, luckily I wasn't hit.  At the time I was 17 and reported it to the police. 
    It was a waste of time - the copper looked at me and asked why I hadnt reported it sooner?  Umm, because I walked to the cop shop, a mile away, not having a mobile on me at the time.  Duh!!  I think he thought I was messing around as I didn't have a mark on me.  I'm not that stupid and was insulted by the copper.
    But I would still report the above if it had happened to me again.
  • The police often don't take young people seriously enough in my experience, probably because there's so many toerags out there they assume all young people are the same.

I once had a bike nicked off me when I was about 15, some arsehole punched me in the face and knocked me off my bike and made off with it. They didn't hit me hard but enough to knock me off in surprise. I was about 100 yds from the local police station so I legged it in and the duty officer told me to take a seat and that's where I stayed for the next 45mins before they could be arsed to see me.

Needless to say I never got the bike back. £700 in paper round money down the pan